/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

Old thread: What are you working on, Jow Forums?

Attached: 1560539148820.jpg (710x1000, 403K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=358278
github.com/timothypratley/rustly
media.giphy.com/media/kEEduTeKtDY6eErdRD/source.gif
github.com/reddit-archive/reddit1.0
youtube.com/watch?v=wfWxdh-_k_4
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

behold the face of python

Attached: 1555301739336.png (1000x1000, 950K)

What language is like pic related

Attached: 1543195065266.jpg (1024x768, 55K)

nth for C++2040 will be indistinguishable from Haskell98
me

Q. Where did the names “C” and “C++” come from?
A. They were grades.

that implies B is a better language than C, and that A exists
what a dumb post

Decided to learn Vue (via nuxt) to build my new site with because fuck react. It's kinda comfy.

Attached: Screenshot 2019-07-08 at 08.04.42.png (547x399, 45K)

>typeless
>Only has 36-bit integers
Are you implying that B isn't short for Based?

Attached: 1562414657177.jpg (1608x2188, 574K)

I'm working on a portfolio website which I'm writing in flutter. super comfy so far. I could use some app ideas though

Attached: 1527126823390.jpg (500x366, 25K)

online prettifier/formatter for the flutter/dart symbol autism

Everytime you use an underscore in Scala, a part of you shall die.

If Haskell artisans are allowed maybe we could allow /wdg/ too!

>boss is an alcoholic
>half my job is deciphering his drunken stream-of-conciousness half rant/half work request, rewriting it into a comprehensible specification then getting him to confirm thats what he wants when he's sober
>half the time it isn't so I've wasted all that time for nothing
>just want to program, not this shit

Playing around with Flutter, really liking the language so far.

your boss needs help

Whats the best material for learning SQL and data structures it entails?

Attached: 1562423147566.jpg (1274x1434, 351K)

guy on /sci/ is shilling for ada
for more info
>sci-hub dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=358278

how is ada support in 21st century?
are there compilers for x86 x64?
are there enough "packages" for your average programmer?

everything is shit

this but every programming language

A discrete mathematics course

It's pretty terrible. Most people end up using the proprietary compiler.

This is so sad, alexa, play despasito.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-07-08 Why Lisp Failed (2010) Hacker News.png (697x284, 10K)

your memes are almost as stale as lisp

Indeed, I've been out of touch lately, how would you have worded the witty comment?

it isn't stale it's just dehydrated

I'm currently writing a level editor as part of a personal game development project

the goal is to see how far I get, as someone who has only recently graduated from high school, while making my sourcecode publicly available.

Attached: unknown-1.png (1602x926, 1.72M)

I have a lot of free time, which Rust project should I contribute to?

python for simple scripts
c++ for actual programming

simple as.

so far so good, keep it up

contribute to this one
github.com/timothypratley/rustly

Why would anyone think this is agood idea?

Attached: Screenshot_2019-07-08 timothypratley rustly.png (915x170, 11K)

native clojure

SQL is simple as fuck and shouldn't take you more than a few days to learn. Data structures are a much more general and larger field, and don't really have anything to do with SQL.

Literally nothing. I'm thinking of leaving software engineering and getting into a trade. Welding or plumbing?

Have you considered becoming a gay slut?

I’m at work, refactoring some stuff I built that got way too ugly. Daydreaming about what I’m gonna work on in my OS when I get home :)

Attached: 47CFA484-1DB0-4CC9-B472-81E059132D1D.jpg (1064x694, 326K)

I really want to try out the new Rust async/await + tokio, but I have no idea what to use it for.

Make a simple multiplayer programming game

Yeah, a multiplayer game might work.

Hi Andreas

Hi user! How is your project going?

Lisp is the most powerful programming language.

Make a multiplayer game about crabs.
rust people will eat that shit up.

It has been done already: media.giphy.com/media/kEEduTeKtDY6eErdRD/source.gif .

GraalVM is a (soon) thing.

Actually looks kind of fun.
Is it still being worked on? Or is it another case of "look at this thing i did in rust", and then they drop it the next day.

prove it or stfu.

every programming language is just a flavor of lisp

It's a game called "War is Shell" and it's in development, I'm not sure if they're using Rust.

You mean FORTRAN.

FORTRAN supports read macros?

Read macros are not a feature, it's a hack for a broken language without syntax.

i doubt you know what a read macro is, otherwise you wouldn't make such a retarded claim.

He is right thou.

I used to write in Lisp is I know what a read macro is, it's an ugly hack no well-designed language needs.

haskell

>t. brainlet
doubtful

Yep. I'm certainly a brainlet for buying into lisp meme. Didn't had to rewrite a project using other, no less meme language.

yeah, i'm sure you learned a lot with your hello world and factorial programs

As opposed to all these Lisp projects out there...somewhere...any day now...

No, but that project did teach me a lesson, that meme languages make support harder. Lisp was the worst offender, btw. Absolutely unmaintainable mess.

So is Serenity a mixture of ported and homegrown software? Because I noticed a lot of the programs are written specifically for Serenity but you also port things over like bash, correct?
Also do people contribute pure C stuff or do you prefer it to all be idiomatic C++?

it's okay to be a brainlet. just don't shit on languages you obviously don't understand because of it.

Nah, I'll shit on any and all languages I want.

What's there to understand about Lisp that isn't obvious?
>THE POWER AND POSSIBILITIES
that you zealots love to drone on about?

> if you don't like Lisp, you just don't understand Lisp
Are you a communist by any chance?

it really do be like that

>What's there to understand about Lisp that isn't obvious?
the reason it exists

Java or C#? Can't find any good book for learning algorithms & data structures on C#. Another point to the Java side this is something that a bit more vacancies. Help me choose, /dpt/!

and yet it's a niche among niche langs, and the other reason it still has any prominence is because SICP memes, and Clojure, which deviated from classical lisp conventions.

If communism is so great, why there are no successful communist countries?
If Lisp is so great, why there have been practically no major projects written in it in the past 25 years?

You really can't beat these arguments.

if this "functional" programming thing was actually that good, it would've taken over other shit by now
same reason rust wont become used, it doesn't offer anything/enough to justify learning it

It's very easy to switch between the two, and unless you need to do something specific I'd choose by employability, which java wins on

reddit 1.0 was written in common lisp

github.com/reddit-archive/reddit1.0

Haskell and FP are taking over though.
Lisp isn't even real FP anyway.

And it was enough an experience for the devs to rewrite it in Python. You just keep proving my point.

be like what?

That's another yhing to add to my list of reasons to not use Lisp.

Attached: 1561806032716.png (533x526, 352K)

Thank you, this is really good advice!

Learn data structures and design patterns and such as abstract concepts. Don't pin them to any specific language. Try learning algorithms in a language that's different than the language you're implementing them in. This will force you to actually learn the concepts.

Thank you, man!

There are some ports but none of them are included in the default install. Using any ports is strictly optional :)
So in that sense it’s not really a mixture of homegrown and ports, it’s a homegrown system with the ability to install 3rd part software if you like.
I vastly prefer idiomatic C++. In fact I guess I would say it’s a requirement.

Attached: 86618E59-F197-4C5B-B0A8-A047EE4F3902.jpg (654x655, 21K)

what are some programming

Attached: eggs.jpg (241x284, 55K)

>been working as a .Net developer for months now
>always managed to cruise along doing mostly C# and VBA jobs
>got assigned a huge WPF project today that has to be done by Friday
>don't know dick about WPF and the entire "language" is extremely confusing to me even after reading guides all day
Somebody please kill me

Attached: 1562318209462.jpg (875x700, 62K)

>has to be done by Friday
this should be illegal.

>be boss
>walk up to the code monkeys
>hey guise here's a new project
>i want this done by friday

It's actually a very reasonable time limit, you could do it in a day or two, if you weren't a brainlet like me

>be javeesh
>have to do project in 50 hours
>have to hook up some nigger excel tier pdf generators in javascript thats done in some niggerlicious interface ive never seen before
>get stuck and cant do it
I am a fucking programmer not a data entry nigger

Attached: 1434716307279.jpg (700x830, 135K)

I'm just here to remind you that 90% of the time, database software is used because the "programmer" in question does not have a basic understanding of data structures and algorithms.

I've been programming for like 7 or 8 years, with a few of those actually being employed, and I don't recall ever properly using a database.
I don't even think I could write a syntactically correct SQL query without looking it up.

Attached: 1376182921994.jpg (445x488, 47K)

Good. The benefit rarely exceeds the cost.

wpf sucks, don't try to find any deep meaning in it or learn anything complex, it's a waste of time. Basically, it has a handful of premade components that do a lot of UI stuff that normally requires extra work "automatically", but there's no real rhyme or reason to the way these components work, and you can't really customize them in a logical way without running into random inconsistencies and internal bugs. Just google for whatever it is you want to do in wpf, and if you find a way to do what you want it will be simple and easy. If you can't find a simple way that matches your need, you will have to change your need, or stop using wpf and just use winforms or some other UI framework instead. Key point is that wpf is the boss, not you, if you try to deviate from the way it wants to work, it will fuck your boypussy.

Daily reminder that in the average program it doesn't even matter what algorithm you use

I once saw something like
for(//500 elements//) list.Add(0, element);
list.Sort();
list.Reverse();
I changed it to the "proper" way, and it did not even cause a measurable speedup

No, it's used for data persistence. The alternative is storing data in a flat file which is usually a bad idea, at least compared to using a database.

>If you can't find a simple way that matches your need, you will have to change your need
This happens way too often for me
But I'm the only one at the office who prefers winforms, so I have to use WPF

>being this fucking retarded
wew

what's the proper way?

Change the comparison function for the sort to give you reverse ordering.

Write a lambda for sorting the other way, and not inserting to the front of arrays

So I finished this snoozefest of a 24h video as someone here recommended, I can't say that it tought me that much t b h

youtube.com/watch?v=wfWxdh-_k_4

How do I git gud at C# in a reasonable amount of time Jow Forums? I know all the basics by now but when doing something on my own I am stuck before I even begin. Please help

Youtube and videos in general are a terrible way to learn programming.
Go read a book and do the exercises in them.

Assuming you're new to programming, you'll probably be slightly proficient after a few months and actually good after a few years.