Utilizing old computers

Is there any way we can use old hardware like 8-bit computers efficiently for anything other that retro gaming? Like, for something that actually makes sense in modern day.

Attached: commodore64.jpg (1332x783, 141K)

Other urls found in this thread:

popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/a23139/commodore-64-repair-shop/
youtube.com/watch?v=dqA8YBwwCl0
gizmodo.com/this-old-ass-commodore-64-is-still-being-used-to-run-an-1787196319
symbos.de/apps.htm
contiki-os.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

To be honest, not really. This is why e-waste is a problem

Even modern computers aren't useful for much.

Yes, but for other than being blogged about, it's probably not feaseable to rely on aging hardware in relative limited supply should you need replacement.

There are monitor and control applications that run nicely on 8-bit machines.

popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/a23139/commodore-64-repair-shop/

3 years ago but if it hasn't broken down I doubt they'd replace it for no reason

youtube.com/watch?v=dqA8YBwwCl0

You can learn BASIC

Yeah they could be good to teach people about the very basics of computer architecture, programming - very simple assembler compared to today's cpus

Realistically, if you want something useful, the answer is no. Even budget phones are more powerful than old-ish computers. That said...

1. You can use an old PC to build a server. It's easy and can either store general data or be sued as a multimedia center to beam content to TVs in your home via wi-fi.

2. Testing platform. learn how to assemble and disassemble PCs. Overclock and burn their shit.

3. Come up with something interesting. I have a Sony Vaio UX UMPC, pic related, that is extremely cool to handle and has a very sc-ifi feel to it, but is slow and annoying. I wanted to utilize it somehow and came up with a DIY "news station". I hooked up an old 17" monitor to it, the UX has a VGA out, connected it to the wi-fi, split the screen and used several browser instances on auto-update every 5 minutes linked to breaking news twitter and a couple news sites... that way when there is a HAPPENING I can boot it up and at a glance get the latest. Is it more useful than an alternative setup? - no, but it is very satisfying.

Attached: 3757.jpg (379x306, 23K)

>anything other that retro gaming

Only thing you can't do on old computer is browsing modern web.

Learning to program, demos and gaming is all you can do with them.
There are more efficient devices for everything else, like using them as controllers.

Attached: 03_ARM13.jpg (1024x766, 120K)

...you can even do that but in text only mode so most of the functionality of websites won't work

>Only thing you can't do on old computer is browsing modern web.
Why not? Even something like a 200 MHz Celeron can browse the modern web natively with enough RAM.
If you have a rendering proxy, even a 16 MHz Macintosh can.

an old mechanic had some home written software on c64 for doing receipts and managing jobs in their shop, they had to move off it because they couldn't find any spare parts for their dotmatrix printer, c64 still worked fine

>You can use an old PC to build a server.
Very inefficient though in terms of power and heat production. Specially when cheaper and newer alternatives exist which are more efficient.

You meant inefficient I guess.

Yeah and like some user pointed out earlier it's risky since the hardware is old and can fail losing your data.

> uses a machine that is still very much alive, well loved and well used in 2019 (that also gets constant support from hardware developers) to make an example for using old hardware other than retrogaming
you've answered your own question, dumb cunt.

There is a project for bringing Linux on old phones, postmarket os. They do a shitload of work reverse engineering proprietary hardware drivers and all that shit, but looks promising.

As for server, how good of a server something like Pentium 2 can be?

What are you talking about? C64 is used only as retro gaming/collectible/computer history item. There are plenty of enthusiasts, but they do not try to re-purpose it for something practical.

Note how it's not actually connected to the machine, but just used for calculations to balance the drive shafts.
Unlike the CBM machines with a parallel IEEE-488 interface, the serial port on the VC-20/C64 is not as useful for industrial applications. You need to get a separate adapter for the expansion port if you do.

Pentium 2 I guess not, but 3 yes.

You fucking autist, we are talking old PCs in general not a particular one. OP was giving an example not setting a topic.

Unless you have some specialized machinery only it can control, not really.

Example:
gizmodo.com/this-old-ass-commodore-64-is-still-being-used-to-run-an-1787196319

Yes.

SymbOS can run on Amstrad CPC / MSX / PCW Joyce and Enterprise 64/128 machines and also in an emulator like BlueMSX

It can run many useful tools, including network / web browser

symbos.de/apps.htm

Attached: screens.png (925x541, 102K)

Can it run Emacs?

Contiki is a Linux distribution meant for embedded systems & retro systems like the Commodore 64. You'll need a NIC cartridge for a C64, but with one running Contiki, you can run it as a web server off of a floppy drive, using a port of nginx for MOS 6502 CPU.

typing letters

contiki-os.org/
This?

/useful/ tools, please read more carefully next time

I think the thread is more about classic 8-bit systems - Atari 600, C64, Apple ][+, etc.

Can it run Doom?

I'd say, anything up to late 90's, but something 8bit is definitely more challenging

Also, how energy much more energy older hardware consumes compared to modern?

>Contiki is a Linux distribution
no it's not

>how energy much more energy older hardware consumes
what

watts per instruction (is that a thing?) is absolutely fucking horrible compared to say, a modern ... anything

first result says the C64 sitting at the BASIC prompt doing nothing uses 22W, with 6W of that being the PSU alone
you can run a raspberry pi with less than /the psu alone/, and it's /a fuckton faster than the c64 by many orders of magnitute/

yes, you can make music with these:

Commodore Amiga
Commodore 64
Atari ST

you can make pixel animation or pixel graphics in general with this (its actually good for such things but there is maybe limited use of pixel graphics these days):

Amiga

>what
I am reatard and I am not okay, sorry

They are pretty good if you want to start coding in assembly language lor make your way in optimazing code.