Lenovo yoga

Are they any good for university use? Taking notes and light programming

Attached: 61wcczYg5qL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 105K)

anything more that 700$ is a waste

>notes
use paper you faggot. laptop just distracts you.
>light programming
any thinkpad will do, get something5 light

I could get one for like 720 euros, with student discount

> inb4 europoor

Bump, I was considering getting a C930

You can get cheap flip convertibles for 250-300€, even less if second hand.

It's a complete mystery to me why people want to take notes on a touch screen.

If it's just text, why not just type it out?

If it involves diagrams/math, just by a $1 notepad, you fucking retard.

As far as "light programming" goes, literally anything can do that.

>If it's just text, why not just type it out?
Writing better solidifies learning and focuses concentration on the subject
>If it involves diagrams/math, just by a $1 notepad, you fucking retard.
Because this would be bulky as fuck, never fit on a lecture desk, lack the ease of taking pictures of pdfs/handouts with tablet or 2 in 1, and be one more thing to remember and potentially forget

It's not for everyone, but you're an absolute retard if you can't see the convenience of being able to directly write and store all of your notes and documents on one simple piece of equipment.

They are very loud with crap battery life

its windows.
its barely even usable. you cant ever hope to program on it, all its good at is being trash

Get a Thinkpad L390 Yoga, best of both worlds

No one has ever had classes before the tablet age huh....

Glossy screen. Into the garbage.

Buy a cheap x201t, get OneNote (not the metro shit). Save trees.

The future is now old man.

>Thinkpad L390 Yoga
>L
disgusting

it's faster and easier. i still see luddites with 5 different colored pens and highlighters trying to keep up with notetaking on paper while i can do everything in onenote. if it doesn't require diagrams, i can type out much faster than the luddites can write down, and they never finish writing down notes before prof erases the board. when reviewing notes i can do that with any device and don't have to go flipping through notebooks to find what I want.

I don't think you understand the concept of convenience. Notebooks are perfectly functional for a class. A tablet is not a necessity, but certainly a convenience.

Change comes whether you like it or not boomer.

What's wrong with the L390?

What about Microsoft surfaces?
Small, detachable keyboard so it can be used both with it's keyboard on a table and without during commute.

Check out the HP Spectre x360

Just like no one had classes before notebooks. Clearly there is never a need to upgrade to anything new

Sure but you honestly don't need more than a goddamned chromebook for university unless your program requires winblows.

Surfaces have the shittiest build quality of literally any brand and they're awful to use on your lap. Aside from those two issues they're fantastic computers. Just only buy one if you have the budget to replace it when it invariably breaks prematurely.

>lack the ease of taking pictures of pdfs/handouts with tablet or 2 in 1

Nobody in the real world actually tries to copy handouts using a fucking camera they use a scanner. They probably won't even use that because it's a waste of time compared to... I dunno... a fucking binder?

Do you really think you're going to be taking pictures of every individual page of the handouts you get and trying to do your homework by reading jpg files?

This is paperless office crap. It's literally worse than just using paper. Tech geeks often go out of their way to make life more difficult for theirselves. You will be working with paper forever because courts only accept original documents and you're going to get original documents in paper format. Get an inkjet MFC and scan important shit and throw the handouts you will literally never read again after a week into a binder instead of fussing with digitisation.

Also lack of USB-C and the docking system can eat my ass

I mean the issue fundamentally with your entire theory is that you AREN'T getting rid of paper without making life way more difficult for yourself. You can have your fancy as fuck tablet but you're still going to lug around paper. This is why "hurr durr I'm gonna go into the future by replacing paper with muh tablet so I don't forget anything" is a meme. It doesn't actually work. You think it could but it doesn't.

The issue is it only works if other people also buy into the paperless ecosystem and it doesn't so you end up wasting time trying to go paperless making life more difficult for yourself.

Now once you LEAVE university you can walk around with your yoga or surface or whatever and take down notes and show clients shit on your slick tablet and look really impressive. You can request electronic originals whenever possible and keep basically the tiniest stack of paper... maybe a few file folders worth of paper. However it doesn't work at fucking all WITHIN university. You think you're gonna go paperless by taking pictures of shit and then suddenly you get handed a 30 page handout and go "oh fuck this I'm not taking 30 goddamned pictures" and throw it in your backpack and then you're back at square one. It just doesn't work.

The reason why people recommend notebooks for university instead of buying into meme convertables is because at the end of the day being able to draw on your tablet really doesn't help you worth jack shit when you're always going to have paper around anyways. People aren't being boomers they just understand how this shit works and they understand that tablets and webcams are a non-solution to the shittons of paper thrown at you in uni.

>it's faster and easier. i still see luddites with 5 different colored pens and highlighters trying to keep up with notetaking on paper while i can do everything in onenote. if it doesn't require diagrams, i can type out much faster than the luddites can write down, and they never finish writing down notes before prof erases the board.

The issue is while you can certainly take higher quality notes that way its proven that you end up reducing memory retention. The luddites simply read the science and understand that paper notes work better.

This being said I also took computer notes and abused onenote but that's because I'm goddamned disabled and can't write worth a damn but I type extremely quickly. It wasn't because I was superior to the paper plebs it was an adaption because I literally could not keep up with the teacher if I wrote things down. I didn't have a touchscreen so I wrote down diagrams on paper and it worked... basically as well as writing notes with a stylus on onenote except it made it so I couldn't share my notes with other people easily.

I mean holy shit this thread is filled with morons who don't understand the first goddamned thing about studying who think they're geniuses styling on the luddites.

get an ultrabook, yeah they're expensive but the fact that they're very lightweight and slim really helps a lot if you're gonna carry it on your backpack all day long

I got one as a gift and going from a 11 pounds, 15.6" laptop to a tiny 2 pounds 11" ultrabook really helps my back and shoulders

I went for ultrabook in college and no ragrats although honestly a thiccer laptop is just as good. 3-4 pounds is not going to cause you to get scoliosis and you'll be able to do things like spin up VMs easier.

You can take or leave touchscreens. You pay in terms of cost and battery life and being able to write on them isn't as useful as you think compared to paper. They're strictly optional... not useless... not orgasmic.

People take pictures of handouts all the fucking time. Moreover, nearly every handout/lecture material is available online in uni's anyways, that was just one small point.

You know what a real waste of time is? Having to print out hundreds of pages of handouts, homework, or lecture notes and lug them around or keep track of them over the course of a semester because they are all uploaded digitally by the prof. Education is shifting more and more to digital documents and having a device which allows you to write on these documents without having to print them out is a huge convenience.

>You will be working with paper forever because courts only accept original documents and you're going to get original documents in paper format. Get an inkjet MFC and scan important shit

We're talking about uni, very few important court documents to handle with. Of course there will always be paper in the world. And scanning is still an option, a 2in1 isn't a camera, that is just a nice feature for a quick upload.

naa, you need at least16 cores and dual rtx2080ti setup to run word. are you fucked in the head or sth?

user is probably a neet, a college dropout or a boomer

you're right, a laptop with touch pen input would be great for your specific usage

Universities are going more and more paperless though. The majority of my classes are nearly entirely online resources (textbooks, handouts, homework, etc.). Most of the time you need to go out of your way to print shit, and a 2in1 lets you avoid that, at least for the most part. It also lets you neatly consolidate all of those resources for ease of access and transportation.

You can obviously roll with a computer and notebooks and you'll be just fine. But a 2in1 has convenience and certainly isn't going to waste your time or become an inconvenience. Regardless, it's still a laptop with some extra functionality.

I own a yoga 730. It was the only laptop with a 1050 at a reasonable price. Could do with more ports, chassis is thinner and nearly as light as my old acer 3820tg, screen's alright, the folding action is legit cool for reading on busses/planes or movie watching in bed to get the most out of downfacing speakers, got a good deal on it with a 40% coupon. 15" is a bit cumbersome for school though. I'm no longer a student, but use my laptop away from home for gaymen. The stylus is fun for drawing, but I wouldn't want to use it to take handwritten notes. The software just isn't advanced enough. You'd be better off learning latex or microsoft equation hotkeys.

The smart choice would be a used touchscreen x2**. the max dosh choice would be a x280 with external gpu through tb3 (does the x have tb3 like the t series?). the cheap choice is find a coupon/sale for the yoga 730 like I did.

I have one
It's garbage for note taking
Use a boogie board for that
The one that uses Bluetooth outputs PDFs
It's fantastic

Just get an X60t.

Loads of Surface Pro 4 on eBay in bretty gud condition with keyboard and pen included.

I'll probably bite, OP.

i had a yoga for a long time and it was an amazing run, probably best notebook i ever had.
Screen died after 5 years though but maybe i just got unlucky