/spg/ - Smartphone General

Pixel 4 XL Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget, and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker
frequencycheck.com
willmyphonework.net

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/sQbs83pY

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: google_pixel_4_xl_onleaks_pricebaba_1.jpg (2452x2719, 696K)

Remember to ignore and report the One Plus 7 shitposter.

>if you recommend a good phone you're a shitposter

think I'm gonna go with the xiaomi Mi 9t, hope it will be good, first chink phone ever

FUCKING RELEASE THE 9T PRO ALREADY XIAONIGGGERS

>Literally sits all day without reading any post just to sperg out "bUY THEa OnE PLUS oNE 7" to every single shopping advice
What a sad little man

Considering upgrading from my old iPhone 6S to a OP7 Pro or really anything else. I just don’t want to have to pay $1000+.

Anyone ever switch from iOS to Android? Any major changes that stuck out to you, or things about iOS you wish you had in Android?

Attached: E375A6FE-7073-4B3E-9AA2-7B919F6F4F06.jpg (570x620, 120K)

The last two or so replies in the previous thread were me, it's not all the same guy recommending the OP7. Naturally it gets recommended because it's a good phone. Don't see why that triggers you so hard.

Quick question, my bday is coming so I'm planing on giving myself a phone and I'm torn between two options.
>Purchase a display replacement for my Galaxy Note5 wich I dropped last year
>Purchase a brand new Redmi Note 7
On one hand the stylus and the Note5 itself worked more than fine for the intended use I give it (social media and YouTube consumption, sometimes phone photography) and I'll recover all the photos/documents/videos etc. stored on that phone (Can't do it with pc because it asks to aprove device in-phone)
On the other hand the Xiaomi is spec wise mostly the same and brand new, but I lose the stylus and I'm somewhat against the notches.

What would you guys do in my place?

I did the switch a 2 years ago and might go back, unsure.
Android likes:
More software flexibility
Better updates (no phone throttling, mine gets faster with age)
Better battery
Easier to put .wave or .flac files on
iOS likes:
Apps are better (android it feels like you're a second class citizen)
If you're all apple, nice ecosystem integration
iMessage/Facetime
Android cons:
Lack of integration with anything
Bad messaging
Apps (see above)
Poor update timing for OS (depends on phone maker, apple is in unison)
iOS cons
Lack of FOSS
Bloat
Throttling
Bad battery
Expensive for what you get

Reason I might go back to iOS is for wifi calling and text (US with poor cell service at my apartment, no one uses WhatsApp) and better apps, I will miss FOSS options on android so we'll see

Attached: Screenshot 2019-06-29 at 11.00.05 PM.jpg (1440x812, 147K)

Sure thing Ching Chang.

Just won an iPhone 8 in a youtuber giveaway, what am I in for

Hmm thanks, lots to think about. I would definitely miss the WiFi texting.

Which GApps package should I install?

depends how much the screen replacement costs
why don't burgers just use WhatsApp, Telegram or any other messengers. You don't need to buy Apple to have Wifi text/calls you know...

Same guy, I meant to ask, what do you mean apps feel like you’re a second class citizen? Is shit just generally laggier? Even on a new phone like OP7?

One of the most important apps I’m worried about losing is the stock iPhone music app and how I can create playlists and shit. I don’t stream music, I like to have it all with me. I just hope there is a good Android solution.

I said no one I know uses those so... no point in trying, US is like that for reasons. Only internet based text/call thing anybody uses is apple

They're not laggy so much (some are faster) as just not as well designed, and often break in weird places or don't work well as their iOS counterparts. Android apps feel like an after thought not an actual project.

Music, I use vinyl, that's an easy switch, you can just put your existing playlists directly on your phone and vinyl handles the rest, so that shouldn't be a problem

Why is nova launcher not as quick as stock launchers that are supposedly "laggier" when it comes to animations?

I recall switching back to whatever was stock on lineage OS for instance just for that reason, but now I have a One UI phone, same shit. Gestures are laggier. In the amount of time it takes me to swipe the app drawer once I can do it 3 or 4 times on the stock launcher. It's not as responsive.

Ok, sweet. Definitely leaning toward the OP7 right now. I’ll probably impulsively order it tonight. Every reviewer I’ve been watching/reading has been saying positive things about it. It seems like a good deal at $700.

cc9 or k20?

Why are iOS users so retarded?

I like the Pixel 4 design. It's certainly a lot less shitty than the abomination that is the Pixel 3 XL, I just wish they'd made the top and bottom bezels a little more symmetrical because it triggers my autism that they aren't. I'm sure I'll get used to it, though.

I just really hope they don't rely on FaceID and put an ultrasonic fingerprint reader in the screen instead- faceID only is a dealbreaker.

I agree. In a world full of shitting looking phones, it's nice that Pixels still look pretty aesthetically pleasing.

Yeah it seems like a beast of a phone, best of luck, hope I was of some help.

Stay mad, little Apple shit. iOS is restrictive garbage.

Why does no other company make the bezels the same thickness on all four sides? Even with slightly thicker bezels like pic related it just makes it look much nicer. All non-Apple phones have a slight chin, even if their other bezels might be thinner than on the iPhones. Not a dealbreaker ofc, just a minor design aspect I noticed.

Attached: serveimage(2).jpg (2400x1801, 189K)

Im upgrading from my ZTE Axon 7 to a Xiaomi Mi 9T very soon.
Does it have a built in equalizer? Beacuse the one in the Axon 7 is very good and convenient.

How good are the ones from the Play Store?
I need one with different profiles for both my headphones and my shitty car stereo

Attached: ZTE-Axon-7-Dolby-Atmos-650x375-1.jpg (650x375, 48K)

>Remember to ignore and report the One Plus 7 shitposter.

Attached: 1557410997081.jpg (243x234, 18K)

Install viper something.

What's a good SMB app for Android? Using andsmb right now and transfer rates are 2mb/s max. Anything faster out there?

It's because of how screens work. There's a component on the bottom that's usually hidden by the bottom edge, and Apple alone holds the patent of folding it over to minimize the bezel.

400€ budget, big battery, sd card slot and good specs (something like sd855). Can anyone help ?

Extend your budget by 100€ and get an Asus ZenFone 6

Add 100€ and get the Zenfone 6
Within your budget:
Mi 9T is good too (no memory expansion and SD855, still powerful tho and with a large battery)
Mi 9 has a SD855 but only ~3000mAh battery and no memory expansion

is the k20 pro ever coming in europe or should i just get a mi 9?

>STILL NO FUCKING US RELEASE DATE FOR ZENFONE 6

DAMN IT ASUS YOU ALREADY KEKED US OUT OF THE MAX, WHY ARE YOU HOLDING OUT ON THOSE HUGE BATTERIES?!

Attached: oh fuck almight.gif (364x337, 999K)

Holy fricken based

open gapps micro

MIUI has a built-in equalizer for headphones only, but I'd recommend viper4android like the other user already suggested, the results are better.

Are there any browsers left that use normal tabs at the top? Boggles my mind that the ones I knew all switched to the retarded separate menu system now that phones have all this vertical space available

>iOS cons
>bad battery
>bloat

yea...no. Android requires like 10,000-mah batteries to stay competitive while iOS can literally do more with less.

As for bloat...that's a literal joke. Every iPhone comes stock with no custom carrier crap.

Attached: 20c72130cd42dad24d0854205_original.jpg (645x645, 60K)

iPhone batteries are fucking garbage, I don't know what you're talking about. All my friends and co-workers can barely get through the day.

What are they using...5 year old apple devices with worn out batteries?

It's not greener on the other side unless they go with something that has 4,000 mah +

are you illiterate or just pretending to be a retard

Chink flagships are obliterating XS Max these days, even at comparable battery sizes.

This claim that ios has better designed apps is completely unfounded. I don't know what garbage appjeet you're using that is giving you troubles, but in general that is simply not the case.

For starters, all the mainstream apps are virtually identical in design and operation, and are usually faster on android as it's where you usually find the latest compute power.

The fact that some apps on android might be buggy is a byproduct of freedom of publishing, and pretty much no one on the platform would have it any other way. Specially not the apple way with it's draconian policies, anti consumer store.

Is the Samsung Galaxy SOT really that bad?
I'm looking at S9+, display looks the best and I want to keep muh headphone jack.

Cause burgers are well, you know, kinda special

My god that thing is ugly

This is blatantly false

What's a good phone around 500 usd that has water resistance.

There is no truly water resistant phones. The IPX ratings are meaningless as the water resistance of any phone degrades over time.

Phones in that price range usually don't have an IP rating.

after some years of waiting and hoping; i've come to the conclusion that google's android is a total failure. IOS cannot possibly be half as bad as this fucking judeo-capitalist turd world garbage.

The LG V20 combined with this 10500mha battery is litteraly the perfect phone.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-07-09-01-58-12-039_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.png (1080x2160, 580K)

why is android so fucking shit
when will there be a good FOSS mobile OS

nothing perfect about wasting money

Sailfish is already out

i honestly believe apple's ios is the best way to go. at least their base OS programmers are competent. android is at it's roots a total fucking mess.

sailfish ubuntu touch etc are too model specific. any decent smartphone OS should be able to unmount peripherals like cameras with a few presses. noone is going to be allowed to buld an OS like that because the major intel agencies need phones to be exploitable since they're a major tracking/doxing resource.

It's actually even worse. What I don't like about Android is that despite being full of bloat and spyware it still doesn't give you that much freedom unless you root it by installing some software that is barely compatible with your phone and will likely lead to lots of problems.
I don't like Android but iOS is a complete joke

>he thinks that fuckhuge notch makes the phone symmetrical
lol

never used ios but find it hard to believe it can be worse than android. i'm on android 6 on a cheap tablet and while charging with wifi active good play will enable disabled apps and start auto-updating them. utter fucking trash. cut cable recently so i'm self enforced to use google crap. i gotta get a sim capable laptop with linux asap
driving me fucking insane using this shit

Ark OS is coming.

>will enable disabled apps and start auto-updating them
don't think that's ever happened to me desu
but still, I would rather put of with google's bullshit and android's limitations than spend 1000$ for a mobile device I have no control over
The reasoning I'm mad at android right now is that I can't write to my external sd via ssh unless I root the phone. Obviously it's annoying but I doubt you can even ssh into an iPhone and they don't have external sd's or headphone jacks to listen to the music you put on them.

S9+ or Juan Plus 6t?
Similar price where I live.

There's a giant bezel at the top retard.

from what little research i've done ssh and other terminal commands are features of IOS. which is the main reason i think it's built better. maybe compatibility issues with non-crapple hardware though. i have a phone with android 8.1 it's has major improvements over 6 but, that phone also has AT&T shit on it. android is supposed to be opensource and yet i have to go through a dozen step process for compiling and it requires like 80GB of shit for the end result of a 8GB OS. which in and of itself is 4x any lightweight linux distro which has exponentially more functionality. fuck it though kikes and zoomers have ruined infotech and the internet anyway. might as well just give up

I'm getting my Mi9 tommorow. Is LineageOs supported yet ?

Galaxy Note 9.

I lost my pixel 2xl on freeway
It's been months
Can I cancel my contract?
I'm paying for a phone I don't have.
Virgin is my provider

ask them not us. typically if they provided the phone it will have a 1yr warranty. although that won't cover a lost phone which can't be tracked

Are curved screen protectors more prone to cracking or have I just been unlucky in every one I've owned? Cause over the years I've had a number start cracking on the sides on me without me doing anything to actually cause a break.

I'm not from the US but I imagine that if you didn't subscribe to some kind of insurance against theft or loss you're fucked.

8 GB or 12 GB OnePlus 7 Pro?

How much RAM do you even need these days, and how much can you allocate to the new RAM boost feature?

Also, where is a good place to buy USB-C to 3.5mm adapters that won’t die after a couple months)

Attached: 0327F644-06E3-4715-AAEB-F5266694F63E.png (432x432, 200K)

Jow Forums I want a good phone with a 5" screen or smaller and a removable battery. Budget doesn't matter.
Any recommendations?

3gb ram is already fluid. But I would took 12gb just for the power trip.

Moto G5.

Name one.

I find it hard to believe that an Android phone with similar specs is beating the XS Max in terms of battery life. Find something with the latest Snapdragon and a battery no bigger than the XS Max.

Attached: qdrv3rwuveg01.jpg (1080x1350, 373K)

I'm buying a zenfone 6 when it comes out
any reason why I shouldn't?

I have a A70 and i only charge it 2 days in between.

Whats a good phone thats less than $400, and wont cause 1st degree burns during use?
Optional: big

Attached: 1560794824833.jpg (1087x735, 64K)

country? carrier?

HTC One M9 ? Finding a phone with a removable battery and a 5" screen will be difficult.

Im an idiot. Att. Burger

Umidigi F1 Play or S3 Pro
Nokia 7.1
Pixel 3a
Xiaomi Mi Mix 2S

Yeah, I hate how everything is huge now. Thanks for the recs

Attached: 1555821269871.png (500x532, 305K)

My grandpa has the moto G5 and it is still very fluid after the updates.

OH NO NO NO LOOK AT THE TOP OF HIS HEAD

>Patents last for 20 years
shit, does this means we're gonna shave chins till 2037?

only flaw I can think of is lack of water resistance

And the LCD screen...

non issue lmao

Would break my balls to buy a 500$ phone without an oled screen.

Most people care about getting a nice screen on their phone given it’s what you look at 99.9% of the time while using it.

I would never go back to a non-oled phone after getting one. It’s such an amazing difference with no real world downsides.

>/>71791964
>/>71792014
>/>71792031
yikes lmao

The mi9t/k20 has a chin that is only 1 or 2 mm larger than the other bezels and is small enough that you can ignore it.