Does Jow Forums have a Master’s degree?

I was just told (in an email with 2 misspellings) from an admissions counselor at my state’s biggest school that I shouldn’t apply for a masters there because I have a 2.705 GPA from my compsci bachelors degree from a college in the same university system, that earned 1 year ago.

In my defense, I have earned 4 IT certs in the last 8 months and have been getting promotions at work. I really want a cyber security masters because I think it would help my career but also I just want one to say that I have a master’s to dab on the poors.

Does anyone here have a masters? Did anyone manage to get into a masters program that isn’t some dogshit make-believe online-only school with a bad gpa? Is 2.7 really that unredeemable? Feeling sad bros.

Are there any things I can do that would allow the university to overlook my bad GPA short of military service? I don’t really feel like dying for Israel.

Attached: F8CDB31C-F24D-4E9D-A5DA-E1F5BFEFDA8F.jpg (960x832, 103K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bbk.ac.uk/study/2019/postgraduate/programmes/TMSCOSCI_C
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Im doing my masters but im not a pitiful burger, here no one cares about your bachelor gpa when doing master

Have sex

Sounds nice. I bet you aren’t shilling out $90,000 either.

im going to tell you something about gpa user. outside of academia no one gives a FUCK about gpa. If you are in a masters program, be happy. Leverage experience in the real world but use the degree to get a foot in the door.

I’ve noticed that applying for jobs out of college it came up a lot but I know that if I were to switch companies and they saw I earned A+, N+, S+, CySA+ in the span of eight months, they wouldn’t even ask for my gpa. Because it doesn’t matter. I’ve learned more in the last 8 months than all four years of college combined. I think with a masters you kind of get to escape the gen-Ed classes and the gender studies.

So people don’t care about GPA - but would they care about a masters from NYU vs one from Nova Southeastern Technical university ?? I’d think so.

whyd you get a 2.7 from a state school? are you dum?

why are you getting a masters user? You seem like you already have some relevant work experience, why the additional financial strain of graduate school?

Yes.

I picked a major that I didn’t like and then I took on extreme responsibility with a student org for no fucking reason besides obligation, then my sister got breast cancer and yadda yadda yadda

I forced myself through a CS degree that I didn’t really want. I work in IT now anyways.

Also this was a “””good””” state school with top 5 programs for CS.

Because I want to better myself and honestly just to have one.

I guess it’s a bad sign if my main reason for the pursuit of a masters is cosmetic vanity huh..

Attached: 3C01E632-3FFD-43ED-9647-48B203E57862.jpg (797x960, 131K)

swallow your pride and go to a shitty school. OR a decent school with a shoddy odd night program. i did the same- a biotech degree at jhu that overlooked my 3.0 they can even give you a trial period where you show you can get over a 3.0 and enter the masters. i know jhu has a bioinformatics masters that will allow you a trial period. also harvard has their advanced academic program or continuing studies program i forget what its called but they will admit you for classes as long as you get over a 3.0 or something for their trial period. post-bac classes like these will bump you up.

t. phd who got into northwestern with a 3.0 undergrad and is now in med school

yes, especially if you are already working in the field, its like you are taking a step back into an outdated educational model to get some academic cred

I eventually want a doctorate tho.

Interesting. Will it be worthless if I do online and sacrifice all possibility for networking/fellowships/apprenticeships?

I think my best bet is Southern New Hampshire University online. It’s no where near me.

get a job that will pay for you to get your masters

why do you want a doctorate user? same thing? le epic educational attainment?

get one thats less of a diploma mill.
bbk.ac.uk/study/2019/postgraduate/programmes/TMSCOSCI_C
leave the us for a year...why not?

Yeah pretty much. I see your point tho.

Wouldn’t that be nice.

i thought nearly every tech job did
all of mine have, at least

Mine pays for certifications (if you pass) and is fairly generous with study materials but we are a small msp. Honestly I would be surprised if anyone even asked about this before but I guess I could poke around and find out.

Bamp

>tfw .1 GPA away from being eligible for my masters
FUUUUCUCCKKK
to be fair I didnt' want to get it anyway but a year out I miss uni life, the real world sucks and I want to go back

That’s exactly how I feel brother.

It really depends on how well you know the faculty and how good you do on your GRE and Statement of Purpose. Btw I would go for GOOD certs instead if i was in your shoes, Companies bend over backwards if you have your CISSP or OSCP

Apply anyways anons, the “hard requirements” can sometimes get ignored if you have a solid rest of your application (GRE, statement of purpose, etc)

I'm starting next month. It's an online program but there's an on-campus option. It's not the best school but it's not one of the dogshit ones like SNHU/CTU/DeVry/etc.