/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Do not dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ %command% -h/--help
$ help %builtin/keyword%

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
overthewire.org/wargames/bandit/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>Which web browser performs best on GNU/Linux?
linuxreviews.org/firefox-vs-chromium

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: Previous thread:

Attached: 1489134187102.png (1248x1920, 1.57M)

Other urls found in this thread:

bluetoothgoodies.com/
github.com/scop/bash-completion
git.eckner.net/Erich/bash-completion-extras
blog.packagecloud.io/eng/2016/04/05/the-definitive-guide-to-linux-system-calls/
amd.com/en/support/tech-docs?keyword=AMD64 Architecture Programmer's Manual
twitch.tv/videos/450322708
cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/10.0.0 nonfree/amd64/iso-dvd/
wiki.debian.org/Firmware
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide/CommandsAndArguments#Scripts
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first for fuck linux and install a hackintosh

Attached: 62766BB4-99CF-4709-B8AE-B13472C9F666.png (728x800, 573K)

/fglt/ - Fucking Great Loli Thighs

that's a general I can get behind bro

Attached: DetIshLUcAIYKAn.jpg (759x847, 72K)

Sky_freedom draws some damn cute girls

Cute girls, friendly Linux, what more could you want in a thread.

Running KDE Neon and loving it. Been doing a lot of distrohopping the last month or two but I think this white man has finally come home.

Attached: 1535408222855.png (692x816, 279K)

so my shithole bank needs to install some bullshit spyware to access the account via browser, so instead of installing this shit on my main machine im thinking of installing it on a VM (their retarded spyware has a version for linux too)
what would be the most lightweight distro i can use for that in a VM???

I really, really like that loli

switch banks goy

Attached: Wikis_for_Dummies_cover.png (220x278, 108K)

even tho i need to install this shit to use it on pc its the best bank where i live
thats why im setting up a VM

what a shitty bank.

so put a minimal live iso on a usb and use that
no vm required

the problem with that is that i would have to reboot every time i wanted to open my bank/check investing shit
also, i need a VM so i can have a snapshot of firefox + the (((bank software))) installed

when will linux not be shit for gaming?

Currently trying out Debian 10, seems good so far!

Attached: deb.png (1366x768, 295K)

What's the second most fastest, optimised GNU distro after Clear GNU?
Seems to be either Solus GNU or Pop! GNU, as both of these either cherrypick or have people formerly working on Clear GNU in them, but I'd like to know any other options.

I can't startx and it is starting to drive me insane. After reinstalling nvidia drivers and removing nouveau/vesa from the kernel, using nvidia-config and checking xorg.conf for driver set to nvidia, its still failing with failed to load nv/vesa/nouveau in the log. why is this happening? I am at my wit's end here been trying to fix this all day. modprobe nvidia doesn't say anything. systemd module load service is running. gpu shows under lspci grep 3d (intel integrated for VGA). I've got Xsetup set to nvidia for sddm but that obviously fails on a black screen because X isn't working. I'm sure I'm just missing something stupid, please help me /fglt/

Attached: 1518401030961.png (1373x833, 59K)

today. especially with amd/vulkan ports you get literally 2x the performance of some titles on windows

should i get install a GNU/Linux distro and ditch windows?

Welcome to the GNU/Linux experience.

most have a livecd available. just make a bootable usb with rufus, boot from the usb and try it out. ubuntu gnome as an example for something that just werks and looks modern

no I'm just making it hard for myself. I can boot into debian if I really need to use my laptop, but I really want to fix this and understand what's going wrong

Try modesetting as your video driver in your xorg.conf. That should just werk.

>Clear GNU
the fuck is that

Scientology's official GNU/Linux distribution?

where do distros come from?

Attached: 1562611585518.webm (720x404, 2.24M)

Gentoo is unironically more performant than Clear, but that's a fucking ignorant criteria to base your selection on either way. The only way you're going to make your OS 'optimized' is by understanding what your workload demands.

i want to retry some distros on metal but i already found the perfect one :(

>download ubuntu mini.iso so that i can use debian installer to install ubuntu
>"installing the base system"
>didn't pick any task at the end of install process
>check install size
>3.21GB
is this normal? from my memory a "base install" shouldn't take that much space

What email clients does everyone use? I want to try something other than Thunderbird - nothing wrong with it, it just *feels* clunky and bloated. Any recommendations?

Best VM software to host some headless servers for babies first admin? I'm looking at QEMU, but that doesn't look very "enterprisey" to me. Though I don't really how VMfusion and such are used on actual headless server either..

Attached: 1558544278095.png (1280x720, 673K)

god DAMN thank you user. sddm is still fucked but I can finally startx into a session. really appreciate it

I use neomutt, but if you want a clickable gui, I can recommend claws-mail.
No problem. I remember having a similar problem when first installing arch. I was fucking around with my xorg.conf trying to get it to work and figured out that modesetting thing after about a day. Later I realized that it's literally the default setting. If I hadn't changed it when I was trying to fix a different issue, I wouldn't've'd that problem at all.
Btw, why use a display manager? IMO the best way is just to put a [ $(tty) = '/dev/tty1' ] && startx in your .bash_profile. That way you aren't screwed if X decides to fuck up.

I have a user for my gf so I want her to be able to login. My driver is definitely still fucked though unfortunately as KDE is using software rendering. I really can't wait to buy an amd laptop

fixed. added the glamor use flag for intel driver modesetting

Use virt-manager with qemu, vmware is crap.

Why does your gf need a dm? Is she unable to type her username and password? My 10 year old sister can do it and I'm assuming your gf is older than that.

mate its a miracle she plays along with my autism projects in the first place. I don't mind using a DM

What's the advantage of using Samba over a chrooted sftp connection

Mutt but trying out mailx. Mutt is actually good and easy to use, the only hard part was the configuration. There was not much documentation out there.

I have extreme carpel tunnel numbness in my left hand
im going back to windows so i can into personal computing and just click shit with my right hand

Attached: MvHzpER.jpg (360x572, 25K)

>implying noobuntu is not point and click

Attached: 1472157981856.jpg (480x360, 25K)

Is there really any point in using the latest firefox? I'm on 60.7esr. I was looking at the changelog from that up to the current release 67 or whatever and most of the changes seem inconsequential. Other than one claim that it's 40-60% faster which I find hard to believe I'm using debain testing and the only package I bother updating manually is youtube-dl because the repo version is ancient and breaks constantly. What about other programs?

Pretty sure he's just trolling. I think we have at least one troll who is completely obsessed with us right now. Maybe he's trying to catch any would-be windows converts and fool them with reverse psychology or something.
We never see this many random "welp guess I'm going back to windows lol" comments.

not taking the piss but do you really care about the latest on debian?

Such is the GNU/Linux experience. Either use packages outdated by literal years, or risk newer ones that will destroy installations by pure absolute random chance.

how would an up to date firefox destroy one's installation lmao. keep spouting memes like a clueless retard who has never actually used linux

Dramatically lower overhead for clients b/c kernel cifs driver instead of SSHFS+FUSE. Easier setup for winkeks, or else why would you be asking about Samba instead of NFS.

SFTP in its present implementations isn't a first class network FS either. You don't have stuff like sparse allocation or file locking. It's written in the spec, but nothing useful supports it.

Didn't get an answer last time so I'm going to try again, is there anything to monitor Bluetooth battery life on Linux? Something like this.
bluetoothgoodies.com/
Only thing I'm actually missing from Windows.

Apparently bluez only exposes that information in relatively recent versions and only for LE devices. Blueman doesn't support showing this data but Gnome does afaik. Not sure about KDE.

From terminal you should be able to get that data with upower as long as it's a bluetooth LE device

fish-like history and completion for bash?
fish is real comfy for just shell use, but it's scripting is a bit limited, there are things which just can't be done in fish, and i'm starting to get tired of switching to bash to do something

Have you tried github.com/scop/bash-completion

i haven't tried anything yet, i figure if anyone knows the go-to solutions, it'd be here

-- oh yea, the fish-like history thing i like the most is how i can type a word, then press up to cycle through any command i've run that contains that word anywhere in it, it's incredibly useful

I am using that thing and has goodies, cant tell much what it does as I am not too advanced into the shell, there is an extra package too git.eckner.net/Erich/bash-completion-extras

Mmm, sounds like ctrl-r but done automatically

That's a shame, most of my devices aren't BTLE. Thanks anyway.

Actually yes, I think there is a way to do "ctrl-r" automatically through inputrc. Check into readline and inputrc, is similar on how to activate vi-keys in bash.

Why is setting up WiFi in Debian so hard

what's hard about it? what DE did you choose?

>discord
Lost

What are your thoughts on debian sid?

You stupid idiots, if meme wayland is pushed to everyone and developers swallow that shit is going to deprecate A LOT of programs

Programs that YOU use, daily

Attached: AAAAAAAAAAAAA.gif (192x197, 87K)

Im installing Arch linux, and during the install process, after submitting the pacstrap /mnt base base-devel, I get an error near the end (after skipping some files at the beginning) that says "ERROR: Failed to install files to new root" and "missing required signature".

The wiki directed me to check if there's a /root/.gnupg/dirmngr_ldpaservers.conf file, but it seems that there isnt one. How can I create it so I can move along the install? I'm trying to google it but I don't quite the response I need (or I'm missing some basic concepts to understand it)
Thank you

bind '"\e[A": history-search-backward'
bind '"\e[B": history-search-forward'

I don't understand how do protection rings work. For example, what kind of instructions are forbidden in user space? How do syscalls operate? Why cannot I simply execute the sequence of syscalls to break everything?
Where to read about that? As soon as I read more I only have more questions arise and then completely drown.

Can anyone tell me why Furius ISO Mount keeps giving me a wrong password error? I'm entering my password correctly, I know that as everything else accepts the same password without error.

Attached: 1546614267510.png (303x201, 11K)

I have to use for it. It's a protection mode. It's ring three faggotry. I want fucking ring zero, don't give me fucking ring three. Fuck ring three man, I want ring zero. Ever since I was a system programmer at TicketMaster, I fucking programmed in ring zero. Ring three is ghetto, fuck ring three, that's for ghetto peasants. Peasants program in ring-fucking-three man. Ring three is for peasants.

Terry was based.

who's forcing you to use the same shell for both the command line and scripting?

syscalls depends on the particular OS and CPU architecture, but generally you have a userspace wrapper function which does some needed adjustments and sets the correct register values and hands it off to kernel which does the heavy lifting
a simple search for "linux amd64 syscalls" got me this: blog.packagecloud.io/eng/2016/04/05/the-definitive-guide-to-linux-system-calls/
I only skimmed it so no guarantees whether all details are correct

as for protection rings, nobody ever used more than ring 3 and 0, even on other architectures where the other ones don't suck as much as on IA32
so much so they've been removed from AMD64 and you only have a privileged/non-privileged distinction
you can get more info in the AMD64 manuals: amd.com/en/support/tech-docs?keyword=AMD64 Architecture Programmer's Manual

>GUI image mounter
what the fuck

Attached: 1553566492816.jpg (627x632, 72K)

mount -o loop file.iso /mount/point/path/

This worked, thank you. Sorry for the dumb question, new to Linux.

I need a good, relatively stable distro for newer hardware (Lenovo Ideapad 330).
Already tried Ubuntu, but there were problems with the drivers. Now I'm on Arco, considering to try Manjaro, butt I'm afraid that rolling-release distros might break.

So what now? Debian is also too "old", I suppose. Couldn't even set it up last time, there was no wifi.

Attached: 1tajvp.jpg (1127x685, 58K)

Fedora? I've not used it myself but its supposed to be very stable considering its rolling nature

Just update shit you really need yourself.

it's not a problem for things long enough to bother making an actual script file for, but really, lots of things are better off just sitting in history, where i can recall and tweak as needed

Debian 10. Released two days ago I bet it can support your Lenovo.

>tried Ubuntu, but there were problems with the drivers.
Mint usually fixes such problems.

haha, i didn't even know bash had editable keybinds like that
looks like i gave up ricing too soon
>what have you done

>Fedora

Never tried it, but might give it a chance, thanks user!

>Debian 10. Released two days ago I bet it can support your Lenovo.

Yeah, well 9 sucked on this machine and I'm a bit pessimistic about Debian. Well, maybe I'll try it again, non-free version might work.

>>tried Ubuntu, but there were problems with the drivers.
>Mint usually fixes such problems.

Unfortunately tried that too and had the same problems. Worse, Cinnamon caused more issues. Really wanted it to work, though.

Thank you, too!

that only matches from the beginning of a line, but i found "history-substring-search-*" instead, which does do what i want
thanks for making me aware of this

Thanks! The advice I was looking for was likely "Just use KVM on itself", but virt-manager looks useful too.

Attached: look_1.jpg (432x767, 68K)

Anyone use firejail?
I've added the profiles from the github but every program just starts and stays an empty screen. Running it from cli and it does not output any error messages or warnings or anything. I tried to find a log file but i couldnt
I would like to limit programs from having full access to the filesystem and my mount points

twitch.tv/videos/450322708

Why is my Half Life stream slow and choppy? (OBS on Ubuntu 18.04)

yea i use firejail, but i haven't seen your problem

how many frames per minute is that set to?

For example.Im trying to sandbox discord-canary,firefox,telegram and transmission, but they seem to just stall and dont say why

>does not output any error messages or warnings
I read the 'man page' for you.
firejail --debug program

>>discord
Lost

>there was no wifi
Use this fren.

cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/10.0.0 nonfree/amd64/iso-dvd/

Debian protects your system from proprietary firmware blobs but this installer includes by default.
It's a hybrid image so it works for USB or DVD.

More info on firmware here.
wiki.debian.org/Firmware

Attached: 1562669774967.gif (640x480, 1.26M)

As always, Debian should make that iso more visible. I think we discussed this issue before.

So I'm following the guide here
>mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide

I got to the section on scripts
>mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide/CommandsAndArguments#Scripts

I accidentally ran the command
$ bash myscript

Without creating a "myscript" file. I started getting this error message:

bash: PATH-/home/vladimir/bin:/home/vladimir/.local/bin:/home/vladimir/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin: No such file or directory

Well, I created a "myscript" file and ran the command again in hopes that it would solve the problem as a temp fix until I learn more about bash... and I still get the same message. I would like to make this ugly error message stop appearing.

I am not sure what else to do!

>PATH-

That error message keeps popping up

bash: PATH-/home/vladimir/bin:/home/vladimir/.local/bin:/home/vladimir/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin: No such file or directory

every time I reopen the terminal, btw

I'm a complete noob to linux and bash hence my using the guide. I don't get the joke or hint.

See your basrhrc file for the PATH variable, change "PATH-" for "$PATH:"
You change that somehow, probably running a bad script, careful

From the link you've given, did you do this?
echo 'PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"' >> "$HOME/.bashrc"?
Just open your .bashrc file and delete that line.

Thanks fren!
I'll try it today, see if it werks.

What are the best non-systemdick distros availible?

ok who did this

Attached: 1337.png (265x32, 4K)