How often should you job hop? In my experience, my income makes huge jumps every time I get a new job...

How often should you job hop? In my experience, my income makes huge jumps every time I get a new job, but doesn't it look bad on your resume? What's the better path?

>mad max style job hop every 6 months - 12 months until you cap out and stay for x years
>a respectable 3 year at a company building job loyalty and giving back to the man

Attached: goals.jpg (1200x791, 130K)

god i wish that were me

you should always be searching for better-paying jobs. For your company you are only a tool for money making and they will replace you when they want to, so why you shouldn't do the same treatment to them?

Every two years. Mine is an extreme case because I was underpaid, but I just more than doubled my salary. In two years I'll be looking again and hoping for a 50% raise.

every 2 years if you have a good job that you like, every year if you have bad jobs. less than that can be done but if you jump more than once per year HR stacies won't like it.

What does this have to do with Jow Forums?
That said, I'm on my first job and I make minimum wage which is $240 monthly, I'm here since May of past year. I have plenty of time to lurk on the phone or just sit on the sun.

How do I get a job? I graduted years ago with shit grades and spent my time since travelling the world

what do you do and which country, user

Attached: 1530372360570.jpg (720x960, 66K)

Is that chad Carmack ?

Get welfare

you're fucked, it's over for you. not getting a job after graduation permanently ruins your career trajectory. you missed all of the good new grad programs and will always be worse off.

Shopkeeper of a pet shop in Brazil

>Having a job
>not being a bitcoin using busker/hacker/cyberprostitute

Attached: 20110514174809!Tidus.jpg (1280x1024, 116K)

Get gud at whatever role you want. Build a portfolio of work and send it out directly to employers. Don't got through HR channels for any of that shit. Show some initiative.
Phone employers shit like that.
Or go freelance. Not much money in it these day s, still have good feedback for work you do will only enhance your chances of getting full time employment somewhere.

never. back in my day you worked at the same place for 40 years. you damn milennials dont know what proper work ethic is.

JC pics/posts are always so comfy

If you job hop all over the place it's a little suspect but from my experience most employers won't care too much unless they've specified they need someone who can stay long term.

Lol enjoy your enslaving ethics

depends on the kind of companies you're hopping to and from too. it's expected to see a lot of job hopping if you're doing burn out startups. but if you're job hopping from big companies they usually assume you're a flake.

6-12 months is a little too short. I'd stick with each place for minimum 2 years unless there are some legitimate issues.

If you are unhappy and can get a better offer why not take it?

Job hop every 1-2 years. That's what my older brother did and is now at a company making 6 figures + he'll earn stocks worth $175k each year he stays.

you're not gonna get a job in it if you're not interested in technology. although since you're here i assume you are interested at least a little bit. you're only gonna get entry level job that pays like shit but try building your github profile and maybe someone will employ you.

You traveled with what money

Bros, help me out.
I absolutely hate my job and I want to change it to something IT-related. Let's assume I know nothing about computers (not true btw); which IT job you can get into without any prior experience? IT support? What about something more advanced? Networking, security, or programming?

Lucky americans. Here hopping from job to job doesn t change your salary . You start all over again with the same shit salary lmao

as a canacuck I'm also jealous of the amazing american job market. they have so many different cities they can move to as well. I'm stuck here dealing with insane toronto rents or calgary winters or insane vancouver rents all of which have equally shit wages.

1 - 2 years.

Level 1 helpdesk monkey job if you prove you're not retarded.

Every two years. More frequent starts to look bad.

At this point I'm becoming desperate, unironically. Thanks.

What about those more advanced three I mentioned? Which one is the easiest to get into?

Those roles are considered "cert" level. Either hold the certs (ccna, vcp, etc..) or have considerable experience with the technologies.

If you're young and smart you can easily start at lvl1 helpdesk and move to a sr. Admin role in 5 years. Build a homelab and learn on your own. Even 1 year at an MSP will give you a ton of experience, then you can move to a corporate internal position as a systems analyst or Jr sys admin.

Networking, security, programming, and other infrastructure positions such as storage administration, reliability engineer, systems engineer and virtualization engineer take years of experience and certs. You can't just get hired as a VMware admin, you need to prove to your prospective employers that you are trustworthy. You are dealing with business critical systems at that point and that is when you start to actually make money. Good luck lil nigga

I bet the minimum wage is better than $240

I mean canada is a really comfy country and wages here are higher than most of the 1st world but when people right next to us earn double or triple what we do it's hard not to be jealous

>invite me to interview
>ace it and get invited to 2nd interview
>do personality test at home
>have to give up work to come to both interviews (two full days' worth)
>"Yeah, we like you and all and your personality is a match but we've decided we want someone with a little more experience"

Bitch, why drag me through 2 interviews + a personality test if it's about the experience.

MY EXPERIENCE
IS
RIGHT
THERE
ON
MY
CV

Pretty comfy job my monkey neighbour

I've had this happen. I went through 7 interviews, 2 coding tests, 3 phone interviews, 2 in person full day interviews. then a month after my 2nd full day interview they called me and said I didn't have enough experience.
the reality is that the reason they give you for rejecting you may have no basis in reality at all. they just say whatever. it's better for them to hide the real reason if it's something like "we were never seriously considering you that much" or "this one guy voted no on you just because he didn't like you" or "we just hired the bosses nephew" or "we only interviewed candidates to fulfill a requirement" or "we just don't really know what we want and this other guy transferred into doing the job so the role got filled" etc etc etc. they just give you a vague but plausible reason and are done with it.

Fuck the job hunt. I'd rather earn a little less than to put myself through that torture all the fucking time. My current job is secure and there aren't that many jobs in my field in the area anyway.

Imagine you're a Brazilian living in Canada and every day you're amazed at how good your wage and quality of life it

Depends. Have a shit job, shit pay, or shit work that won't improve your skill set? Probably should move sooner rather than later.

Have a good job that you enjoy, pays well, good benefits, good career progression and exposed to good tech? Stay, only hop if you find something actually better, and remember, the grass /isn't/ always greener on the other side.

My coworker left a cushy gig for reasons for Netflix. He went from working 30-40 hour weeks at a good company, pretty high pay in a good area to 80 hour weeks, burnt out in 8 months, quit and left. It's not always worth it. To top it off all his complaints were rectified after a month of him quitting. It blew a lot to have him leave.

>Good luck lil nigga

dude I'm 30

Well no hope for you then

its over for you, if you aren't already in your main career by 30 you're finished

You are tginking short term.
You should balance your hoping or it will be you in the ass eventually, either because companies might not want you because of hopping or because you couldn't actually improve more.
You are right companies see you as a tool. And you sglhould see companies as a tool as well, you you gotta give them a good use, a paycheck number is not everything, you should try to get to a company where you can actually learn a lot to improve the rate at which your paychecks rise at the next hops.

Sur them, file for paid time.

>Worked doing contract work in IT for numerous years.
>Most projects were 6 months on average. Got a lot of experience in various things.
>Moved and found a job that is full time and pays higher then my other jobs at the end of last year.
>Job is 1 and a half to 2 hours away depending on traffic, pays less then other IT jobs that are in the same town I am in, and has had numerous people in leadership and major support roles find better jobs in the 7 months I have been there, leaving the IT team scrambling to get shit figured out.

What sucks is I like my job for the most part, but with everything that has happened it is making it harder and harder for me to justify the long drive when I can get a higher paying position locally. I wanted to at least stay a year, but I am starting to apply elsewhere and see if I get any serious offers.

>he didnt bartend and network with clients/co workers and bang sloots thru his 20s and then got a job at some chuckledicks company because you're 'good with computers' and served him booze
lmao at ur life

>believes this horseshit
Many more-successful-than-average people have transitioned across 2-3 careers throughout their lives. And remember everyone starts at the bottom unless they gave up their bottom.

cope

>two angry orchards and one budweiser maybe
wow she must be totally hammered

i hope this is ironic

Was it not obvious?

they are doing the same thing with other people at the same time you smuck. one (or more) of the other people was obviously a better fit and took their offer. you would have gotten the job if the other fuckers didn't want it.

>she

>never. back in my day you worked at the same place for 40 years. you damn milennials dont know what proper work ethic is.
Back in my peasant days when I sarved milord, that's when true work ethic and honor was still around. I farm and plant and work and mi Lord woult take care of me and mi children, protect us till the end of days.

Will your company rally its bannermen and march to your defence if your farm was burned down by raiding marauders? Will your company CEO come out in public town square to hand out food stuffs and other trinkets to the peasant villagers?

I think not! You silly buffoon have no idea what you speak of.

Attached: 1561078675323.png (1022x457, 219K)

That p-p-p-privilege is long gone, gramps. They're already trying to condition us for a lifetime of informal, intermittent, unpredictable "jobs" that don't go beyond doing a single discrete task for a discrete amount of money.

cause your resume said you had experience but the interview didn't

lol @ how without fail there's always a few bitter virgins shitting in job threads like these

Attached: tumblr_ltrp76VzsR1qepgwqo1_500.jpg (431x455, 28K)