IBM bought Red Hat

>IBM bought Red Hat
Red Hat is over. It's done. IBM in 2019 is a graveyard.

Attached: lol.png (1220x842, 132K)

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=power9-threadripper-core9&num=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

more corporate shitting on OSS.

Attached: faggot.jpg (720x1280, 200K)

get fucked linuxfags lmao

old news

lol

Why such the hate boner for IBM?

they used to be great but are now a shit tier outsourcing company that does fuck all

ibm sucks at everything but they're actually pretty good at hpc, which mostly runs on red hat so

ever seen the software ibm makes?

I don’t get it either. I have high hopes for this acquisition, and RHEL 8 is already looking solid

LOL

In what way isn’t it? They have alternatives now (multiple versions of software installed at one time), and Stratis puts them into a position to compete and develop an edge against OpenSUSE’s Btrfs and Ubuntu’s easier ZFSOnLinux installs.
I mean, I wouldn’t run it on my desktop or anything (ancient packages as usual), but for servers it seems quite nice.

This was a year ago, newfag.

NOPE. They are the kings of selling you clusters that are outdated and making you think you got a good deal. If anything their sales force is worth those billions of dollars.

how many companies are better off after an acquisition? Can you think of a few if any?

>RHEL 8 is already looking solid
Developed pre-IBM. Wait another 10 years and see how RHEL 9 is.

Who gives a fuck? RedHat is the PROBLEM in the Linux world. The sooner thy go under, the better it will be for us all.

Attached: 1556466483682.png (680x480, 515K)

They sure do enough for DARPA to keep getting unlimited R&D budgets for government projects.

it wasn't finalized until today

I think it will be fine. There's so much money in the cloud that the red hat guys might even take over the company in the long run. Just like ms' cloud division now shits on everybody else.
I won't lie that it would be funny to see RH burn to the ground just to watch 70% of the linux desktop tech (that matters) get unmaintained. The fucking retards that keep complaining about red hat would finally understand what happens when only neets do the needful. Fuck GNOME tho, IBM should trash it.

Attached: LOOKATTHATFOOTDUDE.png (728x399, 336K)

I'm with you. if redhat dies, linux dies

Stfu faggot, don't put words in my mouth. It will never die and I will use templeos before I install windows and macos spyware.

>The fucking retards that keep complaining about red hat would finally understand what happens when only neets do the needful
All the useful development in Linux at this point is being done driver side by companies like Valve and AMD. RedHat is dead weight on Linux. I don't use any of their shit except for PulseAudio, which I could easily do without, and I would be completely unaffected if they crashed and burned into the goddamn ocean.

Attached: 1555251638720.png (836x1136, 297K)

t.

Attached: gamerresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 163K)

Ciao Red Hat, burn in fucking hell

Attached: wbvwpkaofb5x.png (1024x750, 43K)

I barely play games anymore, but it is an objective fact. We have good free video drivers thanks to the aforementioned developments on AMDGPU. What the fuck else do we need on Linux at this point? The fact we have 200 threads every year about "muh screen tearing" shows there there isn't as much left to worry about on Linux. All the freedesktop shit is completely useless, and all of the actual OS R&D is being done on NetBSD/OpenBSD.
Please enlighten me as to how it would affect me in any way as a Slackware user who uses WindowMaker as my window manager if RedHat were to be nuked from orbit tomorrow

Attached: D1d6i-bW0AE5FOM.png (700x700, 304K)

>IBM
>used to be great
Granpa, is that you?

whats their endgame?

>I have high hopes for this acquisition

Attached: 15219972954350.jpg (320x320, 24K)

Attached: IMG_20190709_115924.jpg (4032x3024, 1.24M)

>by companies like Valve
Are you fucking kidding me. Valve only used Linux as a tool to signal something to Microsoft and their win8 store, which has failed since then. Valve already forgot how Linucks is spelled.

>thinkpads
>International Business Machines
This was their cute but useless asset, true IBM has little to do with it

Attached: 001ca888d0c811c0a24a46b55244217533a7f34208343ea974bd15010faaf61f.jpg (523x332, 85K)

just watch /reddit/linuxgamers or whatever its called start a hate campaign on valve the minute they stop throwing money. the slightest controversy will blow out of proportion
then you have to endure their spam everywhere. the entitlement is out of this world, i couldnt read that site for more than 3 minutes without feeling sick

the number of steam linux games has actually been decreasing

I'm a linux gamer and even I'm embarrassed by those guys. I'm still kind of glad to have an autistic advocacy group on my side though I guess.

Wow, now we can have the same discussion for the 50th time, thanks fag!

Because Proton allows devs to present Linux versions with minimal effort. No Linux games are being removed either, so Steam's Linux library is not decreasing. Game's that run perfectly out of the box with proton are far between, but the amount that run flawlessly after launch option tweaks easily doubles Linux's library.

you're welcome have a nice day

the proportion of new games releasing on linux has been decreasing is what I mean. if you look at launches with a certain number of steam reviews, I think over 200, the number of steam games that support linux is down a fair bit from 2 years ago

and to be clear if you don't have the number of reviews requirement the number is way worse, but that's because steam has so much more garbage released on it now

I'll think you'll find there will be a resurgence in P2P pirating of games because the people using steam to sell games have a growing monopoly on them and that they prices of games are extremely overpriced.
So steam could be in future trouble if they're not careful with long term plans based on current trends.

This. Steam is booming at the moment.. though people are getting fed up with prices like the old days before steam.

>tfw rimworld is still 40 leaf bucks and doesn't go on sale
I just want it to practice my chinese, there aren't many games I'm interested in that have chinese support

LINUX IS FINISHED AND BANKRUPT
oh wait

>he doesn't know about IBM

IBM is still huge m8

>xddd red hat bad
>lol ibm bad
>shill xdxd haha nsa
this board is fucking retarded, there's no arguments just namecalling.
fucking newfags

>no arguments just namecalling
sounds like Jow Forums since forever
reddit out

rip red hat linux support/services prices

this, what the fuck is wrong with Jow Forums?
don't they understand how many projects is red hat paying?
fucking idiots
probably, but every other boars at least has more of a consensus with stuff.
this board has retarded /x/ consensus with no arguments

hello thank you for calling authentic red hat support my name is tishnar may I very please have your account number swiftly thank you very much

kek

>does fuck all
Hm
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=power9-threadripper-core9&num=1

>every other boars at least has more of a consensus
hell no

yes, unironical deviant schizos are called out

I don't think any board has consensus on Jow Forums. You have gangs of thought, but never true consensus.

my main board is >>>>>>>>> and the only thing they have consensus on is that busriders are fags and cyclists should die

when you aim for consensus you get reddit

>don't they understand how many projects is red hat paying?
That is the problem you retard. Why would you want a single company controlling so much of the kernel and userspace? What if IBM decides to be hostile to free software?

Attached: 1448568587797.gif (480x320, 3.49M)

you'd be in the exact same place as if they didnt existed, you would fork or replace the parts with something community maintained

yea reddit is a consensus machine. the upvote system is so good at punishing the wrongthink and rewarding the right viewpoints that eventually communities self-censor and stop sharing the viewpoints they know will be unpopular.

The less coupling the easier that would be.

>system is so good at punishing the wrongthink and rewarding the right viewpoints that eventually communities self-censor and stop sharing the viewpoints they know will be unpopular
you just described anime imageboards as well, and most of the internet and RL

What argument do (you) have though?

>Greatest Linux kernel contributor
>They're a problem
No wonder this place is a shit hole nowadays.

if you mix a jar of jam and a jar of shit, you'll get two jars of shit

Linus prevents them from doing stupid things like kdbus.

Except there would be nobody to maintain the fork at that pace. It's a lesson well learned.

How did you begin with Chinese, fren?

Valve has been directly funding the development of free graphics drivers, the betterment of WINE, and free VR drivers. They've done measurably more for actual userspace tech than RedHat could ever dream of.

>practicing languages with games
that's a dead end

Attached: 9cc.jpg (683x817, 57K)

Next step is to destroy Debian from the inside with SJW and PC shit.

hello chinese with both pinyin and characters, then lingodeer with no pinyin and only characters. now I use
-lingodeer
-pleco + flashcards for dictionary and spaced repetition flashcards
-pimsleurs 1-5 while driving for audio practice
-popup dictionary on firefox
-chinese grammar wiki for reading and reference
-talk to all my chinese friends and ask them questions

in a few months I'm going to hire a 1-on-1 tutor as well

also I got a bunch of the rainbow bridge graded readers

Like them or not Red Hat is pretty much the only Linux company that makes it viable on desktop, they ported Firefox for one

I can recommend all these books. I had my chinese colleagues tell me which graded readers in the series to get that were interesting and also most historically/traditionally relevant. I'd like some game to play in chinese though, there aren't that many that I'm interested in playing. it's not like japanese where there's a lot of classic games to play.

Attached: IMG_20190709_132423.jpg (4032x3024, 1.97M)

Reddit is a more constrained version of this place to the point where it's not truly reaching it's potential. The constraint lies with the account requirement. It fills the place with people worried about their persona on Reddit (as well as the threat of losing access).
That's why it sucks.

That's why people are somewhat celebrating this IBM acquisition even though it means that Red Hat could lose it's current maintaining status quo with free software.

I think all channers should learn it, russian and hebrew as much as it can. Just for precaution.

>the single most important maintainer of the kernel and the literally only reason Linux is still even remotely relevant today doesn't matter
The absolute fucking state.

>>the single most important maintainer of the kernel and the literally only reason Linux is still even remotely relevant today doesn't matter
Sounds like fake news to me. Everything they have pushed for in the past decade has been pure fucking cancer. Everything Linux needs is already made, RedHat produced or not, so killing RedHat would do nothing but good things.

I doubt russian is much use but I remember reading that an english native knowing hebrew is associated with like a 25% increase in lifetime salary, lol

and I mean wrt. chinese, anybody can see the writing on the wall now with the way things are going. knowing chinese would be a huge advantage. I'd try to learn it if I wasn't an adhd fuckup.

RHEL is responsible for something like ~12% of all commits to the kernel alone, that's not including maintaining a metric fuckton of shit not directly related to the kernel.
RHEL made up 32.7% of all enterprise servers worldwide in 2017, the only other thing coming close was MS with ~50%. RHEL is a company valued at 167€ per share. If RHEL actually died Linux relevancy would expire in months if no one took over and there simply isn't anyone in the position to do that should it actually happen.

>f RHEL actually died Linux relevancy would expire in months if no one took over and there simply isn't anyone in the position to do that should it actually happen.
Not my fucking problem.

Success breeds jealousy

If you use Linux as a desktop it would become your problem very fast. Desktop market share of Linux is something like 3%, no one is gonna pump the millions needed to maintain the kernel into a market share of 3% that doesn't even make them money.

Okay Socrates.
At the end of the day though, anythign RedHat does now is completely fucking meaningless. If they were to die the kernel might suffer some short term problems but at the end of the day it's more than feature complete now. If NetBSD is a fully functioning daily driver without RedHat, then Linux can manage.

>anythign RedHat does now is completely fucking meaningless
based retard

redhat is also contributing to bring firefox to wayland and flatpak
across the linux stack they have dedicated billions of man hours in optimization, adding features and bug fixing/upstream, even outside the kernel or cloud tooling
youre all a bunch of hypocrites

>If you use Linux as a desktop it would become your problem very fast. Desktop market share of Linux is something like 3%, no one is gonna pump the millions needed to maintain the kernel into a market share of 3% that doesn't even make them money.
The desktop marketshare is meaningless. Linux works now. If it does not continue to work because it's scope got too big, then it deserves to die and we can move on to something else.
>redhat is also contributing to bring firefox to wayland and flatpak
Yes, you are ADMITTING that RedHat is cancer. Wayland and Flatpak both need to die.

kill yourself retard, you're using windows why would you care
fucking idiot

>If you use Linux as a desktop it would become your problem very fast.
How? What will I miss? The only redhat infected software I am using is the kernel.

How fucking gullible do you have to be to fall for Devuan's brainwashing like this? If you Red Hat is bad when we have companies like Google and Intel then you're fucking retarded

>then it deserves to die and we can move on to something else.
such a short sighted low iq move. tech right now is moving towards enormous monopolies where competition is stifled. other os projects function because of development done on linux. you're imagining a world where companies rally behind a new os project instead of just realizing it's cheaper to start using windows or osx.

>If it does not continue to work because it's scope got too big, then it deserves to die and we can move on to something else.
In 2017 alone the kernel net grew by 2.5 million lines of code. Only big corporations can maintain that eldritch abomination of code. And without them there will only be MS and OSX/BSD left because there aren't even enough people with enough free time to build UNIX 2.0 or whatever.
And honestly I don't want to see a kernel only maintained by autists and trannies that don't give a single shit about optimisation.

list the libraries and programs currently running on your pc
at least 30% of them were improved by redhat even if indirectly

absolute retard

Red Hat ported and maintains Firefox for Linux, without them we'd be stuck with proprietary garbage

>kill yourself retard, you're using windows why would you care
I've been using Linux since 2008.
>other os projects function because of development done on linux.
False. Most OS R&D is done on the BSDs and Linux doesn't help it with jack shit and is actually the other way around, because Linux can steal BSD code but BSD can't steal Linux code because of the GPL.
>In 2017 alone the kernel net grew by 2.5 million lines of code. Only big corporations can maintain that eldritch abomination of code.
Not a good thing. If it can't be maintained it should be ripped out.
>And honestly I don't want to see a kernel only maintained by autists and trannies that don't give a single shit about optimization.
And what makes you think trusting it to mega-corporations is any better of an idea?

>Red Hat ported and maintains Firefox for Linux, without them we'd be stuck with proprietary garbage
Palemoon does not have this problem.

palemoon is falling behind more every single day

>IBM
>RHEL
no more botnet i guess