What made early internet so different from modern internet?

what made early internet so different from modern internet?

Attached: MSN23.jpg (1024x768, 234K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wowhead.com/
catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/S/September-that-never-ended.html
cameronsworld.net/
hamsterdance.org/hamsterdance/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

back then it was mostly wealthy white first worlders

this, but also education level. Barrier to entry meant that only the right sort of people were online.

internet was informative back then. of course there was funnyposting too but todays internet is just full of ads, propaganda and profiling.

Serif fonts instead of sans-serif fonts

Terrible fucking design during the early days.

Tech review websites and game review websites were still independent and not bought by media groups to post bullshit.
No SJW cancer

/thread to be honest famalamacumdong. Although, by the time OPs pic was taken, the internet wasn't just for rich people.

This, but everything now is soulless trash.

The machine used to access the internet could also be used to create virtually anything that would be put on it.
With phones you can't really do much by the way of creativity. You can use the camera and make some very minor edits to pics and video. All you can really do is consume.

the sjw cancer started in the 90s, went away for a bit, and then came back much stronger than ever

the Speed of the Hardware and Internet involved

nowadays every Computer is pratically a Workstation capable of real time 3d Rendering so Websites get bloated to shit

Creativity in general is being stamped out on the mainstream internet. Compare what you could do on your myspace page to what facebook lets you do. Think about what you could do on your youtube page compared to the current design.
Yes it resulted in some horrible crimes against eyeballs. But was it worth it? Is life better because things like pic related can't exist anymore?

Attached: Bad-MySpace-Design-620.jpg (620x466, 493K)

there's plenty of creative outlets on nu-internet, people just tend not to use them and flock to the same mega-sites like facebook, reddit, or Jow Forums

You could talk about niggers and Jews without a tranny telling you to go to back to pol

Pretty much like pic related.

Attached: owning a computer.png (1000x2000, 494K)

but the thread in your picture is just shitposting. It's not creative or interesting. Or are you referring to the page design?

>No SJW cancer
I agree but conservashits are just as cancerous.

Go back to Jow Forums you underage fag.

stacy and chad took over being "nerds" because things that were once nerdy became mainstream
now nerds are called incels or creeps

.t never used irc in the 90s

it was mostly intelligent people.

No.

>Is life better because things like pic related can't exist anymore?
For me? Yes. Having the freedom of editing html on your profile is not the only way to express yourself. I rather have consistency in where I can expect things to be.

Oh noes sexually frustrated white boys lost their echo chamber :(

Never knew a conservative or a moderate liberal that was trying to force hes ideology on the net.
Look at Rust and Linux for example.

yikes have sex

t. xshe

>The entire internet was a whitey echo chamber
Rent free

Yeah it's not like we have daily threads where Jow Forumstards rant about shit that doesn't matter and constantly write off-topic shit about trannies, or jews, or whatever.

It's cringe inducing. 2016 ruined this fucking place.

You could, you had to be creative and funny though, unlike you retards like you that all you can do is repeat the same 3 memes over and over.

Bandwidth wasn't cheep.

People are more jaded and cynical than ever. Internet has slowly let people who are unafraid to release their inner hatred without repercussions, so it's only grown and has been misinformed and defended as "intelligence" due to the ability to choose what you constitute as a valid criticism or counter argument.

more like

Attached: 1562773311755.png (1000x2000, 388K)

here you are ranting about Jow Forums and trannies btw
get a life

Only you can go on Jow Forums like [input ideology] and shitpost all day and nothing will happen.

Now you have CoC, even a monkkey emoji or the word trigger can make you lose your job.

Boy then is pol a pretty chill dude compared to them.

2016 didn't make it better, but it sure as shit didn't ruin this place. Jow Forums has always been "getting worse"

Spotted the kike

That was in 2006 though.

ironic neogaf-posting is really one of the shittier trends that have sprung up

Here is a typical example of a 2019 OP for contrast. It's a twitter screencap of a random transsexual videogamer.

Attached: how did reading this post make you feel.png (947x864, 132K)

>/l/
>/sm/
hold me bros

websites loaded faster on my shitty P3 and internet connection than now

Jow Forums still is fairly lightweight at least, then there's websides like wowhead.com/

tumblr replaced myspace as the eyecancer shit for teens. and if you're not an invalid you can easily make your own site that looks however you want and get a free domain even.

Freedom is always the right choice.

Things do feel, not really "slower," but more sluggish. And this isn't just the internet and the browsers, but computers as well.

Really getting close to taking the Ted Pill.

not really. there just wasn't anything fun for normalfags to do.

>early internet
>2005
try harder

The earliest internet sites were open to anyone to build, so you got a lot of varied and interesting sites.
Most sites used to have a 'links' page, where the web master would link to other sites they liked.
Google started to penalise sites with 'links' pages so sites stopped using them. This led to the increasing centralisation of sites by means of them being promoted through Google, which is why you get so many shitty results for shitty sites like Wikipedia and Huff Post.

The Geocities era was undoubtedly the greatest era of the web.

Attached: boycott-israel-anim.gif (100x100, 5K)

bitch please 4cheng was kill all along

>Most sites used to have a 'links' page, where the web master would link to other sites they liked.
Funny how you don't hear so much about "surfing the web" any more.

These.

>Compare what you could do on your myspace page

From memory, the MySpace raids in 2005 and 2006 were only able to be carried out because they permitted you to embed HTML and javascript on your page.

Normies

that's what happens when you start doing interactive shit instead of just sending static pages.

No stupid normies spoiling all the fun.

catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/S/September-that-never-ended.html

Attached: Moomilk.png (995x1523, 309K)

The more I read this, the more I realize how true it was. I'm so fucking tired of the retards plaguing the Internet, the type of retards who will strut around and use their groupthink gang ups on you telling you you're wrong when they are in fact wrong and the fact that there's nothing we can do about it.

Making the Internet accessible for everybody was among humanity's worst mistake. I mean sure, at least some of them provide entertaining or meaningful content, accidentally or not, but those types are far outnumbered by the consuming whores who contribute nothing but filth and inanity. I'm fucking tired of it bros.

no women

If good sites are harder to find with Google, then it's all the more reason to add a links page.

The real problem is nobody can be arsed to host their own site anymore, they just want a Facebook page or YouTube channel and be done with it.

ted was always right, it was just too convenient to not listen

Honestly it just became representative of society as a whole when it became available to everyone and most of the human race sucks.

centralization was a mistake

The paradox then becomes how you find these sites to "begin" the link.

hahahaha, butthurt christian detected

Nigga pls

Attached: o9svk640u4a21.jpg (750x745, 57K)

One other common site back in the mid 90s were those which postioned themselves as 'Directories', essentialy just sites with categories and links in each category.
I used to use a piece of software called Submit Eaze to spam my sites to them.

I agree. I find it a lot harder now to discover new websites

/l/ doesn't exist anymore

Tons of cheese pizza
Well, it's not like there is no pizza right now, but it was so easy to get it back then

based grandpa

Attached: 1562505511719.png (1390x744, 557K)

Quads of truth

cameronsworld.net/

Time to feel nostalgic, son.

the lack of www, or multimedia in general. pic unrelated

hamsterdance.org/hamsterdance/

The .wav sound file doesn't work for me. Copyrighted ?

aww the seething mutts think that they could ever form a closed middle class white boy forum and maintain even a slight interest in it
protip, once upon a time there was literally exactly that and it got destroyed by Jow Forums because Jow Forums opened the gates of that community to the rest of the world and it just so happened that that rest of the world manages to make better posts than the majority of mutts inhabiting it. Want to prove me wrong? Stop browsing Jow Forums and fuck off to your gated american white boy SA then, it's the utopia you're describing after all so it would be quite hypocritical to not do that

holy shit...checked and predicted...nice

You didn't actually know if your credit card informations were stolen. I still remember being amazed that my books for a small website called Amazon were delivered in 1996 at my doorstep and that they didn't rip me off.

Attached: first_gateway_page.jpg (635x619, 92K)

A couple things.
First, the internet became centralized by a handful of American and Chinese companies that are balls deep in how most people use the internet. They invent these elaborate ecosystems, get people to use them, and then they can't easily leave without sacrificing a lot of time and money. So nobody bothers to venture outside of Facebook, Google, etc.
Next, the barrier of entry has become increasingly low. Children using computers used to be strange and nerdy, now even toddlers know how to log in to YouTube and search for videos.
People also took the internet less seriously. The net used to be a place where you could meet different people where nobody knew anything about each other in real life; now your real name is attached to everything. Virtual existence and reality have become the same; everyone in real life knows what you do on the web, everyone on the web knows what you do in real life. If you try to be anonymous on the web, people think of you as suspicious.

Attached: 1550648495182.jpg (1068x1320, 92K)

>2005
>early
Choose one.
>2019
>modern
Same here.

>white
Hello Americanized dumbed down German Jewish mix.
Fyi there is no such thing as white. There are "European Aryans" (which obviously are Europeans) and there are "Aryans" (i.e. Iranians, Afghans, Tajiks). Anything else is just bad German-Jewish propaganda and clearly you communist proletarian fell for Bolshevik propaganda

you probably smell like mountain dew and cigarettes

Back then we still had hope that it could become better.

>/tl/ - torrents/loli
damn I'm not that old oldfag

no one considers semites white you faggot

>The net used to be a place where you could meet different people where nobody knew anything about each other in real life;
I'm still doing it on a daily basis. Looks like you are doing the same.
>your real name is attached to everything
You actually put in your real name anywhere?
Only ever do that when shit needs to get delivered to my door, i.e. Amazon, ebay, etc..
In my country there is even a law that says services need to offer the option to do that.
>Virtual existence and reality have become the same
Not really. In my vicinity a lot of people have stopped using social media.
Facebook is already going the way of myspace except among old people.

fake and gay

>pretending /v/ babies are any better than the rest

Attached: 1561336423455.gif (280x189, 835K)

Mifflin was ahead of his time. Most people had only one email adress at their names or their university .edu mail. I've never seen someone say something this edgy in newsgroups.

>he thinks it's not going to get a whole of a lot worse in the coming years

Attached: clock-is-ticking.png (500x300, 277K)

No women, no niggers

When that image was taken there was about 1billion people on the net, a sizable percentage already being non-white or lower class.
Just 5 years about it was half that, and probably at least 90% middle and upper class and about as white.

Attached: 1561381664550.jpg (680x680, 84K)

Good point. It’s interesting hearing something besides the typical “dumb people couldnt figure it out” - even if that’s true

delusional

it's made by /v/ babies

It wasn't full to the brim with gay nigger faggots and retard boomers.

>there is no such thing as white
Okay, nice try nigger jew.

Attached: 1562286474567.jpg (960x814, 58K)

Nerds vs Normalfags.

Internet has been massified and thus cancer grew.

It may actually be different.
This universe could be "simulated" time-inversed, but we are experiencing it the "right" way round.
So there has always only been a single "possibility".