Which is the best propertiary 3D parametric CAD program used by the car industry?

Which is the best propertiary 3D parametric CAD program used by the car industry?
Does it even exists or all of them are bullshit?
I have ~ 10 years working experience with CATIA, around 2 with NX, some with OEM specific, long time deprecated programs.
I do mostly injection moulded parts and assys, freeform surfaces, kinematics simulations, pretty complicated top-down skeleton based assemblys, stuff like that.
I hate NX, i am sad about CATIA and dont really expect any reform in this field anymore.
All of them are pajeetware bullshit, anti-productive clusterfuck.
I hope you have some ideas.
Inventor, SE and SW are middle class, thus not applicable, no company uses them in this area.
I used to like I-DEAS just because it was extrem-autist level, no normies used it, it was also full of shitty solutions.

Attached: F6079D90-FE64-4B8C-9630-8E0DBD0E368E.jpg (2719x1556, 951K)

Other urls found in this thread:

autodesk.com/products/alias-products/overview
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Alias

Dassault Systèmes.

Install gentoo

Alias have no cad product.

Catia is well known for me, shit nevertheless.

autodesk.com/products/alias-products/overview

Not applicable.

You have no idea, what the difference between CAD and CAS. Thanks for the input, but not applicable.

wtf is CAS other than computer algebra system

Please excuse me drifting off the topic, but I'm a professional sheet metal designer and work with Solid Edge.
What can you do with NX that you can't do with SE? Is it about certain kinds of simulation? Perhaps the size of assemblies without the computer shitting the bed?

Attached: 1549917947101.png (303x279, 18K)

Computer Aided Styling, so Class-A surfacing.

No, it is complicated.
Lets see: there is plenty different CAD programs, every does things somewhat different. For example SE/SW known about great user experiences, thex are however middle class CAD programs.
There is the high class, the triumvirate: CATIA, NX, CREO.
What does they do what the middle class cannot? Easy, just check the licensing packages.
Middle class have no ship/airspace workbenches, no harness module, no mankin module, no cam module, no class-a module, etc.
The high class cad is partitioned to different workbenches, all of them requires own licenses. A “basic” (at least for me) CATIA with generative part design, gen. shape, gen. assy, draft would cost 20+ thousand EUR / year without upgrade. This is node-locked, so only one computer can use it, as the MAC address will be used, thus the provider said i should buy an USB ethernet adapter and use its MAC at ordering the license, so if my computer breaks down i can use it on other computer (or sou can change the MAC of your integrated eth adapter). Ofc if sou need 100 license it will be cheaper, but you have to have a floating license server too.
So if you check s HD2 CATIA maybe you will say: ah, my SE/SW can do that too, but do not forget about the other workbenches, some even accredited by OEMs.
And ofc the PLM integration TO SmartTeam/ENOVIA is also important.
In the car industry the most important the ability to make CLASS-A changes. HD2 CATIA cant do CLASS-A, but it can close enough, and if you import vlass-a from cas, it *WILL* keep the surface continuity, without any degradation.
Middleclass cant do that.

Ask me if you need any other info, i am CAD-Key user.

Sou == you, but T9 fucks with me.

Tldr high class CAD can do stuff what middle-class cannot.
KWA is fucking based in CATIA, for example.

Ok so I guess it's about available modules. Some of these you just mentioned are actually available in extra SE-packages, but that's not important right now.
Licensing with Siemens products is quite Jewish. Nodelocked can fuck you up bad and the way they force you into "software maintenance contracts" would give RMS a stroke.
Solid Edge nowadays offers a "cloud license". You may need an internet connection to start but you can use it on any computer you want as long as there's only one person signed in at a time. Nodelocked is a thing of the past with local license servers and borrowed licenses anyways I think.

Licensing was always jew trick.
FlexLM and DSLS can suck my dick.

Mankin simulation is based af, i pretty like the knowledgeware module too, DMU is almost a requiment in german car industry (not for everybody), kinematics is great, GSD is truely god-mode.
For me theese are basics, for others even one from this are way too compilcated.
We have too many normies.

INSTALL FREECAD!

Yep. That's out of my league. You can call me a normie now if you want. I'll stick to designing flat pieces of sheet metal with a few bends, studs and welded together by hand or just some basic extruded plastic part

Not applicable.

Thats also nice, i hope you find enjoyment doing it. Keep up mate!
(I am pretty bad with sheetmetal, i am originally from plastic/rubber industry, doing middle-console things)

NX.

Shit pajeetware. Disgusting defaults, unproductive system. Frickin bullshit.
I wish their HQ gets bombarded. Wifh napalm.
Still using it every day because Daimler clusterfuck.

Tbh I should be happy that I somehow jewed my way into becoming a designer. All formal education I've ever done was an apprenticeship as a sheet metal worker. I managed to talk myself into becoming a designer. I'd probably have to visit schools for 5 years just to do what I'm doing daily now. One of the advantages of working in a small company. Having some experience at actually having worked with metal helps a lot here.
Might do some advanced stuff someday. Then I'll tap into simulation and NX

just use fusion or inventor fucking hell. also AutoCAD if you're a masochist

All CAD software will be OBSOLETE within 5 years. We can manufacture parts more complicated than CAD software can handle RIGHT NOW! Fixing this problem requires that CAD software fundamentally change. Change one is that CAD has to work on volumes rather than surfaces like it does today. Now we have to take into account stuff like material, microstructure, fiber orientation, and weave pattern. Being able to CAD with these new approaches might be like going from object oriented to functional programming. Change two is that we start to have the computer design stuff for us. For some stuff you might actually have to understand similar math to that used in deep learning to be competitive. We're going to see quite a bit of stuff automated too. Design algorithms are getting way better and faster. Stuff that used to run on a supercomputer now runs on a laptop.

Nice idea. Any examples that backs your theory up?

If i can give you some ideas:
- be clear minded, i see so frickin clueless models, i cant even imagine they are paid for it.
- start with computer basics, my workmates have problems with basic computer handling, they have mind breakdown if they have to do something basic task
- know what the hell are you doing, workmates jumps into the deep water without any clue wha the WANT to create, ofc it is pretty hard to do something if you have no idea how it should looks like
- have a plan
- know your tool (CAD program)
- please for the loving fuck understand the task what you got, ask somebody, tell to somebody if it is unclear but dont start to do anything if you dont know everything
- be fucking clear with your work, getting a sweep in15 steps is possible, but can you do it in less steps? If so, do it.
- abstract things!!!!!!!! I work with complex assys, i do them, still i publish only coordinate systems and points, nothing more
- know what you doo, i watch collsgues dokng absolut stupidity, i know in the 1 sec it is stupid, but they get it only as the shit happens
- know the fucking consequencies, know what are xou doing, and how could it break
- know your program and enjoy searching it limits

Btw FEA is not construction, serious simulation needs PhD in math, otherwise you cannot sign the results, so it wont be accepted. (I am doing linear and non- linear fea)
Sorry i am drunk, hope it will help you.

Not applucable, try to read next time.

Op here, you have right, but i am not sure about the five years, the industry got shitty human resources, who cannot abstract shit.

Once they start seeing that one guy who understand the software can replace 10 guys who don't they will. Many car companies fired most of their acoustics engineers when software came out that could do their jobs.

hey brah, where do I learn more about FEA? I'm supposed to be doing FEA shit right now and I don't have a clue as to what I'm doing. Don't worry as my stuff doesn't endanger people. I hope. Like where to learn about all those elements like continuous galerkin, discontinuous elements, when to combine elements and shit, what it means when my residuals are going to zero, and why the fuck my nonlinear FEA stuff is acting funny.

I have no experience in this arena, but it seems like the kind of thing that would be best served by stakeholders putting money into a universal , modular and expandable , open source alternative. I mean, these are big money operations, and they are either dominated by a handful of high end proprietary programs that are a cluster fuck when it comes to interoperability, or something in house that becomes outdated hard to maintain junk kept around for years because if the difficulty moving away from it .

If big machine shops, aerospace and other vehicle design etc...plus all the govt contractor related to these industry said " No, fuck it. We're going to all put some investment into OpenUberCAD and govt contracts and projects will only be acceptable using it's open formats etc " or something, seems things could be better

Class-A? What's that?

nvm, figured that out

I'm sure it would be impractical to use in industry, but I do almost all of my designs for 3D printing in OpenSCAD. It takes ten times as long to design, say, an enclosure for a Raspberry Pi, but modifying the design for, say, an Atomic Pi is easy.

Attached: openscad_not_by_me.jpg (960x829, 121K)

I'm in the shipbuilding business. We do our shit with Rhinoceros 3D + GHS module.

STOP USING OPENSCAD! Everything you can do in OpenSCAD can be done better and faster in FreeCAD! You can make parts that you can modify the design with much, much faster. OpenSCAD literally cannot into curves, but FreeCAD can.

Siemens NX.

Everything else is going service based.

Either CATIA or NX sadly, given they're part of much bigger PLM packages and anything other than CATIA just uses parasolid kernel thus you'll run into the same limitations and given Siemens owns it NX will probably have more tools and be your best bet. If you hate it that much I think you're shit out of luck in terms of change.

INSTALL FREECAD!

GHS is Grashopper? That stuff is cool.

FreeCAD, which is trying to mimic CATIA as much as possible, still a long way to go but it might be promising.
this

Lol I was also drunk last night.
I've been a designer for five years now and improved constantly. With Solid Edge I'm actually quite knowledgeable and I also jewed my way into becoming the IT guy at work at the same time, but that's only because most of my co-workers are boomers.
Probably time for me to start just some engineer's degree. Thanks for the kind words!

I'm forced to learn Creo bros wish me luck

In theory you can use every program you like as long as it's compatible to catia/ nx, at least that's what the contracts for most projects say. In reality catia+any strak program for class-a it is.
>reform
from what the older co-workers told me the change from V4 to V5 was such a mess that the industry doesn't want to switch to something newer since they are afraid of another mess.
Worked 3 years with catia, switched to a field that can't be automated or outsourced after that

>Worked 3 years with catia, switched to a field that can't be automated or outsourced after that
Can we hear something more about your new working field?

All of them, mostly design and prove of concept is done in things like 360 and SOLIDWORKS then it goes further up to chain to things like CATIA and others like it, escape my mind atm for proper structural simulations.

It's quality management
>started as cad-designer for interior parts (dash, doors)
>many projects outsourced to china/ india/ bulgaria
>did concept design/ packaging for interior/ greenhouse after that
>doesn't get outsourced but can be automated
>end up in qm for interior by sheer luck
talking to people face-to-face can neither be outsourced nor automated for all I know

Studying (mechanical engineering background) process engineering thanks to cheering me up, I had doubts not going the slave cad constructor way

If you hate NX, you are shit for brains and should anhero.

I do something more complex tan a box with a hole, but thanks for the input.

godspeed user
i should add that i'm add that i'm from germany, maybe the automotive sector in other countries works differently from VAG and BMW, kinda doubt it tho. Also my field is more prone for automatisation and outsourcing due to the trend to minimalism, you don't need a team of experienced engineers to design pic related.

Attached: teslamodel3whiteinterior2e1526831089773.jpg (1441x720, 83K)

Thanks yeah from Germany too

Scheiß Deitschn mit eichan Scheiß Knut!

are you okay retard?

Attached: 1554731061792.jpg (326x294, 12K)

I don't do CAD so someone spoonfeed me why Blender hasn't been mentioned? I thought it's good for anything and everything. What do the CAD programs do exactly?

Isn't Blender that program you use to make Rule 34 clips with Overwatch characters?

>GHS is Grashopper? That stuff is cool.

Nope. It's general hydrostatics.

It's a computer language for ship stability. It's from 1971 and deprecated as fuck. But still, we use it to define ship compartments.

>Learned on CATIA
>Don't have access to it anymore, but have a hobby itch to scratch
>Fusion 360 has a hobby license tied to their cloud shit
>Everything that would be so simple to do in CATIA is a chore to implement
Maybe I need more time with it, but I don't know how people enjoy this work flow. Plus fuck this cloud nonsense, I want to save work to my computer.

Way back when I was with a supplier for an OEM, they had us take a CATIA certification class. Really easy for me, I was happy to take it, but the teacher would lament how hot shots would blow off the class because they already knew CATIA or modelling. Then they would always have the most trouble fixing their model or adhering to design standards.

>which is trying to mimic CATIA
Even at its basic level you could've fooled me. Their assembly bench is a bit close but it's way too finicky. And don't get me started on their reference tools.

Constraints.

It's like comparing a diagram that you painted in photoshop with a plot that is the result of a program code. from what i know Blender is good for sculpting stuff but it isn't really precise nor can you have a structured and reproducible history tree while in cad-programs you use premade math instructions to form a geometry.
I'm not good at explaining things

No that was fine, thanks.