Hey guys, should I go with the router they give you for fios, or buy my own? Suggestions and best options? Thanks

Hey guys, should I go with the router they give you for fios, or buy my own? Suggestions and best options? Thanks.

Attached: Verizon_FiOS_Logo_2015_640x400.gif (640x400, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Home_router
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/07/frontier-customer-bought-his-own-router-but-has-to-pay-10-rental-fee-anyway/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You need to use a Verizon router to activate service, as well as to get technical support from Verizon. It also makes it much easier for you if you also use Verizon FiOS for TV service.

If you DON'T use verizon for TV service, or are willing to jump through hoops using some port forwarding and a MoCA adapter, then you can use whatever router you feel like.

I recommend having a G1100 router on-hand (owned, not rented). For activation of service, and if/when you need tech support from Verizon, then use your own router for every-day use.

That being said, if you can't afford both the G1100 AND another router, the G1100 itself is decent enough to be used full-time. It can at least provide full WAN/LAN speeds for gigabit connections, so it's not gonna hold you back.

>t. Verizon FiOS customer since 2007

Attached: 2019-07-10 19_28_46.png (474x681, 33K)

Buy your own. The routers/modems they give you restrict a lot of the controls from you. Things like switching dns servers and such are often locked out, as well as viewing the logs too. That's been my experience at least.

>Things like switching dns servers and such are often locked out
Not the Verizon router.

It doesn't give you access to EVERYTHING, but it's fairly open overall.

Attached: 2019-07-10 19_31_08.png (752x333, 10K)

Oh yea, you also have full system logging as well. It doesn't block that at all.

Install Gentoo
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Home_router

Why would the ISP router not be sufficient? Are you some kind of special snowflake hacker deviant?

To be fair, with gigabit internet, a better router could be used to offload VPN processing, creating VLANs, QoS, DPI, etc.

Just depends what you want to do.

You can do that, but Verizon uses MoCA for the set top box for TV to get a data connection for On Demand movies, and guide info.

So if you do Pfsense, or Gentoo, or whatever else, you need to buy a standalone MoCA adapter to add a MoCA signal to your network, and you'll need to forward some ports to give the Set top boxes access to the network.

I knew American internet was gay but not this gay

I mean, some ISPs wont even let you do that, at least Verizon gives you the option, sure you have to jump through hoops, but it's an option.

Well I also didn't feel like spending 200 on theirs, considering. Is theirs good for features, or heavily restricted? If I wanna open ports and hist servers and shit, any issues? Etc. Also what do you mean theirs for activation? I have my own here ready to use, are they gonna force me to buy theirs either way?

No interest in cable.

>I have my own here ready to use, are they gonna force me to buy theirs either way?

Honestly, depends on the service tech.

I've heard of them trying to force you to buy one, or rent one, i've also heard of people getting them to activate with one out of their truck, that they just take with them and don't charge you for it.

So it just depends

>Is theirs good for features, or heavily restricted?
See It's pretty open all things considered, though it lacks pro level features that other routers could offer like VLAN tagging, VPNs similar shit.

What's the installation like for fiber, since I know neighbors got it.

If your house or apartment already has an ONT for FiOS, they'll just run ethernet to your router.

ONTs can be installed on the outside of the structure, though generally these days they prefer installing ONTs inside the premises.

If the ONT is outside, there is likely already a hole drilled into your house for Coax, and potentially Ethernet as well. If it's a new installation and they install an outside ONT, they'll need to drill a hole for ethernet into your home.

If you are getting an ONT for inside your house/apartment then they'll drill a hole for the fiber optic line into your home where they'll hook it up to an ONT which will then feed ethernet to your router.

It really depends on the specifics of your installation, if you already have an ONT installed at your property, it can be a quick 5-10 minute installation. If they have to install an ONT then it could be 2-3 hours total for an install.

Pretty much drop fiber from the pole, install ONT on the outside of the house, to take it from fiber to copper and POTS, they will install a battery backup inside near the ONT, take CAT 6 / 5e to where ever you want the router to be.

>using hardware backdoored by the incestuous affair that is Verizon and the FCC

I hate Verizon customer service, but you can't fault their performance.

Attached: 2019-07-11 00_51_01.png (978x263, 143K)

Not op but if you don't have cable and only internet just call Verizon and ask them to switch your ont over from moca to Ethernet then run Ethernet from ont box to new router. Keep in mind this won't work if you use cable because the Verizon guide runs through moca. But honestly fuck cable, waste of money it's 2019.

The Verizon supplied router is fucking garbage. I went through about 8 replacements in a year before I gave up.

>The Verizon supplied router is fucking garbage. I went through about 8 replacements in a year before I gave up.
Whereas i've been using the same G1100 since ~2015 24/7, and with gigabit speeds since april 2017.

What package do you have? I went with 300Mbps

No clue, when I returned it though the guy at the local store said it's a common issue with them and they use garbage components in them.
Not surprising.
What is surprising is someone working at gay Verizon, literally shitting on Verizon and telling us a ton of things that could probably get him fired.. and saved us bucks with sum loopholes desu. I looked like that guy. Now if only the pajeets on the phone support weren't so retarded.

Mine seems pretty okay.

Attached: snip.jpg (492x130, 11K)

Have any of you closed an account then reopened immediately for new customer deal? How'd you do it without them saying shit.

gigabit

Attached: 2019-03-18 12.40.32.jpg (1425x1707, 278K)

They used to just let you do it online by "moving" to the same address you already lived at.

Tell them the current customer was moving out, and you're moving in. It would just automatically give new customer pricing and would just work seamlessly.

About two years ago though they changed it and "fixed" the loophole in the system, the best method i know of is to switch off with your spouse every 2 years.

Would my downloads be as good as yours on Steam with the 300 anyway since your rate on Steam isn't exactly gigabit anyway?

wut?

113.1MBps is 904mbps

That's about as good as you'll ever see.

That's 113.1 megaBYTES per second. Full gigabit is ~118 megaBYTES per second, or around 945 megaBITS per second.

Bits vs Bytes. multiply (or divide) by 8

Aye. I pulled a stupid. Your rates seem strange, you have a lot in your plan but it isn't that expensive. Phone too?

It was cheaper to get all 3 instead of just gigabit by itself.

And as you can see the discounts are non-expiring, so i'm locked into that price for as long as I want to stay on the plan.

Sounds like you got lucky, how did you get those deals?

>sell "gigabit" connection
>is 900Mbps
Into the trash it goes

Just their normal deal at the time when gigabit first got deployed in 2017.

Then last year for black Friday they let you renew your contract with the same pricing for another 2 years, though instead of having 2 year discounts, they ended up being permanent

Gigabit is already only 945mbps due to TCP/IP packet overhead of ~5.5%

Getting real world downloads of 900mbps+ is better than most gigabit offerings in the country.

AT&T gigabit for example generally has terrible peering bandwidth and so you'd be lucky to see 400mbps from steam, whereas I get 800-900mbps.

never use a router provided by your ISP.

End of text.

As if you'll notice the extra 45mbps

So you're saying to switch it under another persons name? I don't have a spouse, but it's under my fathers name currently. I asusme it has to be a different last name though? Hmmmm

Why

No last name being the same is fine.

Just needs to be a different SSN for the credit check

Ah ok, is there usually downtime? Like do I have to wait 2 days without internet or some shit before I resignup?
Or can I just close the account, then reopen it like a few hours later?

Also what exactly is the deal as far as payment? Can we just use my SSN but use my fathers payment and shit still? Or does the SS have to match payment name? Doubt it.

If you have poor credit history, or no credit history, you might have to pay a deposit.

The downtime is usually a few hours.

So you set your dad to cancel his service on the 22nd, at midnight of the 22nd the service will drop, let's say you scheduled a 10am install for your new service for the 23rd. That means you'll be without service from midnight to about 10am when they show up to install.

However if you fuck it up and get your dates wrong, or unlucky and the tech reschedules the install, then you'll be without internet for longer.

Because ISPman bad

Always get your own router and modem.

Also don't get a combo all in one device like a fucking boomer.

Get a dedicated modem and dedicated router.

If you are autistic you can get a access point with rj45 and only use your router for routing packets and firewalling and turning off its wifi.

The access point will be cheaper to replace when new wifi standards show up like like AC gets replace for WPA3 gets updates for some vuln.

Your router and modem will last years longer, cooler, less load, less attack surface, more modular, cheaper.

Or just be the equivilent of a faggot who buys a "GAMER PC" prebuilt at walmart.

aka buying a all in one router/modem combo.

The ISP the OP is talking about doesn't use a modem.

You literally can't buy an all in one.

No idea what this nigger is on about but with comcast I use a coax splitter.

One end goes into the modem and one end goes into the set top box.

The modem turns coax into ethernet and I connect it directly to my linux router.

No moca whatever bullshit adapter required.
Been doing it like this for a decade and a half with coax cable/internet.

Don't they just use a SIM modem?
With a dish antenna?

Because you have cockcast not gayrizon you fucking retard

This is actually somewhat misleading, in the past you could ask Verizon to provision the ethernet port on the ONT and run that directly to your router instead of using MoCA. These days ethernet is the default physical transport on their ONTs.

$80 discount on $100 internet? How the fuck?

You can set up the router Verizon provides to handle this without having to buy a MoCA adapter. Just disable all the wireless shit on the verizon router, and plug its "wan" port into your network somewhere that it'll get DHCP and internet connectivity from your main router. Then connect the coax port on the verizon router to your set top boxes. It'll provide internet connectivity for them.

No, it's fiber to the home.

Direct fiber drop to an ONT (optical network terminal), which then gives you Ethernet.

It's not misleading, Verizon still uses MoCA LAN (not WAN) for the set top boxes for TV service.

If you want to use your own router AND have your set top boxes working, you still need to use MoCA.

Well yea, but then you're using a $200 router as a MoCA bridge instead of just buying an $80 MoCA adapter.

Sure, what you're describing works, but if you don't already own the Verizon router, you'd be dumb to buy one JUST as a MoCA bridge

Yup, non-expiring too. It's a good deal all things considered.

(guessing samefag due to post timing)

They may make you rent the FiOS branded router regardless, this is what frontier does. So in that case you might as well just set the router up as a MoCA bridge.

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/07/frontier-customer-bought-his-own-router-but-has-to-pay-10-rental-fee-anyway/

Comcast is DOCSIS cable (copper last mile)

Verizon is fiber to the home, so you get a fiber connection at your house directly converted to Ethernet for your router.

No modems involved at all with Verizon.

They don't, when signing up for service there is an opt out that let's you use your own router.

I've been a FIOS customer for over a decade