Guide update July 2019

Greetings.

AMD has released 2 GPUs, and 5 CPUs:
- I added both GPUs, in the Superb and Excellent tiers
- I added 2 of the CPU: 3700X and 3900X
- The 3700X is particularly good, being the "2500K" of this generation
- The 3900X is now the base CPU for comparison, replacing the 8700K
- The 3200G, 3400G, and the 3600 were not added, as the reviews for these are scarce. I think I only read a single 3600 review so far. Once the reviews/benches are out, I will check

nVidia has released 2 GPUs:
- Both were added, in the Excellent and Outstanding tiers
- I did not remove the 2060 non-Super
- The 2080 Super should be out by the end of the month

SSD prices have dropped tremendously, and as such:
- 120GB SSD are no longer recommended, even in the lowest tiers
- SSDs are recommended as a default option earlier
- 500GB and 1TB options are also recommended in earlier tiers
- I recommend M.2 drives more, since even value M.2 drives are much faster than high-end SATA, and price differences are negligible

Your feedback is appreciated.

Attached: Untitled.png (3084x4246, 749K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcgamingrace.com/blogs/news/glorious-model-o-reservations-announcement
youtube.com/watch?v=oqK2o-Hwzho
techpowerup.com/review/glorious-pc-gaming-race-model-o/
hardwarezone.com.sg/review-glorious-model-o-review-gaming-mouse-optical-features-specs
ign.com/articles/2019/06/20/pc-gaming-race-glorious-model-o-mouse-review
youtube.com/watch?v=F92byoMgptU
techspot.com/review/1871-amd-ryzen-3600/
gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3489-amd-ryzen-5-3600-cpu-review-benchmarks-vs-intel
newegg.com/seasonic-s12ii-series-s12ii-620-bronze-620w/p/N82E16817151096
pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-x570-chipset-fan-nobody-wants-this
newegg.com/seasonic-m12ii-620-bronze-620w/p/N82E16817151095?Description=m12II &cm_re=m12II-_-17-151-095-_-Product
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You comments, suggestions, and criticisms are most welcome.

If you want to recommend CPUs without working BIOSes and GPUs without drivers, that's on you.

The monitor section is lacking in variety. Also have you been able to make a living off of this site?

Thanks for the update.
Based on the couple of YouTube reviews I've seen, the 3600 is looking good.

Nice LGBT tables amdrone faggot

Add glorious mouse to your mouse section

>The monitor section
The peripherals all sorely need updating, and that is on me. I just do not have the time, right now. I will try and get on it.

>Also have you been able to make a living off of this site?
I have, but it is tough with a strict "NO ADS" policy.

>recommending 9600K at all
lel. 6c without threads is now a bottle neck in some games and you will start seeing stutters/low dips.

Even a weaker 1600 with lower IPC will be a better experience simply due to smoother game plays.

>Nice [...] tables [...]
Thank you for the compliment. I appreciate it!

pcgamingrace.com/blogs/news/glorious-model-o-reservations-announcement
Looks good. I will wait for professional reviews first, but if this is available for purchase directly (not reservation), I will buy one and try it myself.

The Model O is already out and has been reviewed by a multitude of different outlets. I have one and it's great.

Only reviewer that matters
youtube.com/watch?v=oqK2o-Hwzho

How are the speed holes? Is there a buildup of dead skin? Only reason I'm put off

Nah not for me, but if it really bothers you you could take some compressed air to it every week or so

>6c without threads is now a bottle neck in some games and you will start seeing stutters/low dips.
Is it? I would like to see some reviews that show this. Realistically, I was expecting to wait till the 3600X was reviewed, then possibly replacing the 9600K with that.

techpowerup.com/review/glorious-pc-gaming-race-model-o/
hardwarezone.com.sg/review-glorious-model-o-review-gaming-mouse-optical-features-specs
ign.com/articles/2019/06/20/pc-gaming-race-glorious-model-o-mouse-review
I will give these a read, but if the mouse is as good as the "scanning google for blurbs" shows, then it should easily fit in the guide. Thanks for the suggestion!

Bump for feedback.

For the outstanding tier, what monitor should I pair it up with? I want to play in 1080p.

Attached: E0F8268F927C4DC28BEEB8A5ABD66726.jpg (492x767, 53K)

>Is it? I would like to see some reviews that show this
youtube.com/watch?v=F92byoMgptU

9600K suffers stutter/min frame drops on both stock/5.2ghz overclock. Its bad. The "minimum frame" average is not everything because its an average minimum frame. Average of 20 fps and 100 fps.

Hey! I used your guide to build my pc in 2014.
980ti, 4790k, still have the 980ti tho. Moved onto 2600x but honestly it seems like cpus did not get better for a long ass time.

>Moved onto 2600x but honestly it seems like cpus did not get better for a long ass time.

That's because you downgraded your CPU

Attached: 1561563554391.png (898x882, 108K)

For what I play it's nearly identical. My 4790k was prone to overheating so it worked out in the end.

Imagine spending $1000 to make your computer worse

>honestly it seems like cpus did not get better for a long ass time.
Older CPUs are still fine for most people, especially casual gamers. So the newer CPUs are better, but if you are on a 1080p@60Hz screen playing Hearthstone or LoL, you might not see any difference. I am on a 2500K still.

Game's multithread scaling is locked to 4 core essentially.

Attached: Far-Cry-New-Dawn-CPU.png (2190x1610, 58K)

Do I look like I give a fuck about your life story, bitch motherfuker? You bought a new PC and it's worse than your old one. You have failed. You lack the basic skills required to function in a modern society without being brain fucked by memes and corporate propaganda. You are an evolutionary dead end and basically, you should die.

A $1000? I bought the 4790k for 300 it lasted 4 years and then I wanted to go to AMD cuz the mobo doesn't need to change. Why so mad?

Listen man you can talk shit all day but your new PC is worse than your old one. That's the bottom line. Anything else you say is just you coping with your own mental retardation.

Sim games can choke even for a 1080p 60 FPS target. The kind of games that are only on PC for a good reason.

Hey, I'm sorry your having a bad day, cheers man I hope you make better decisions then me.

The 3600 should replace the 2700 and the 3600X should knock both the 2700X and the 9600k off the list.

Yes, I am going to be on the lookout for reviews:
>The 3200G, 3400G, and the 3600 were not added, as the reviews for these are scarce. I think I only read a single 3600 review so far. Once the reviews/benches are out, I will check

Insufficient varieties

>Yes, I am going to be on the lookout for reviews

techspot.com/review/1871-amd-ryzen-3600/
gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3489-amd-ryzen-5-3600-cpu-review-benchmarks-vs-intel

Only 2 I can find atm.

OP am I to believe you are the owner of logical increments, or are you trying to take credit for their work without citing them?

Attached: 1552809251084.jpg (960x739, 80K)

Attached: Untitled3.png (1584x1075, 426K)

I read the Tech Jesus review, but not Techspot. Other sites should have the 3600/X reviews very soon though, since the CPUs are available for purchase.

>being a newfag

only new on Jow Forums cause i am upgrading my pc for the first time ever

btw i remember the days when those pc guides were in png format as well

This is very sad

nine years ago this very week

and the computer I'm typing this on still has the Gigabyte X58A-UD3R listed in the top tier. maybe I should get around to upgrading.

Attached: PC buying guide.png (1400x2500, 474K)

>imageshack
I moved to photobucket soon after that, since photobucket allows you to replace images and keep the same URL.

>ATi
Also, I now feel old.

My CX600M is shitting out on me as I speak, whats something around that power I can pick up from bestbuy or similar without burning a hole in my thigh?

Contact corsair and ask if they do replacement.

Is newegg similar to bestbuy?
newegg.com/seasonic-s12ii-series-s12ii-620-bronze-620w/p/N82E16817151096

thats actually fucking brilliant holy shit
ill have to wait until tomorrow but thank you, i always forget companies have those policies

My biggest thing is im worried about it crapping out *soon* and want to be able to pick it up in store rather than waiting a couple days (also cash is kinda tight so shipping would be annoying to deal with)

Went out for lunch, am back now.

Jow Forumsentlemen, please give me more feedback. Criticism, especially, is most welcome.

Are these x570 boards gonna die because of active cooling? Is there any going back or is active cooling going to be the norm with all this new pcie shit

They are not going to die, but they might get loud.

pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-x570-chipset-fan-nobody-wants-this

cringe

It makes me fucking mad seeing the GPU prices on this chart. Thank fucking nvidia for inflating prices.

Might be a crazy suggestion but here goes: It would be cool to have the site be more "interactive". Right now it's kinda straining the eyes looking at all those colours bundled together so it would be nice to have the tiers grouped in a way so they are easier to distinguish between one another.
Also this might take too much time to program, but an interactive system builder based on this list would be pretty nice. Have like a row of 9 columns and then arrows over each column pointing up and down. Then you can click the arrows and each column sorta goes a step up or down. Then underneath the row the price will automatically update, and errors or warnings if something is insufficient or low power PSU, stuff like that. Maybe even a PC mark estimation.
In my case I have usually never taken and bought everything on a single row, but taken bits and pieces here and there from the various tiers.

>2010, best gaming PC (full PC) = $1300
>2019, best gaming card (just the card) = $1100
Golden age of price wars is long behind us. We could have another, but AMD needs to have something that competes with nVidia's best.

>it would be nice to have the tiers grouped in a way so they are easier to distinguish between one another.
Working on it. Pic related.

>an interactive system builder based on this list would be pretty nice
Also working on it, but like you say:
>much time to program

Attached: Untitled3.png (1652x1256, 172K)

Much better

Attached: piercebrosnan.jpg (960x720, 51K)

Shit like that just makes me fucking MAD!

Attached: 1509013862305.jpg (420x410, 17K)

>buy more power efficient and secure CPU
>downgrade
You're retarded.

If it were power efficient they'd put them in laptops.

Those are nice, where can I find all the releases?

We are fucking finally getting competition in the CPU space, and SSD's and HDD's are at a reasonable price (for now). Now we need the rest to come down in price.

Indeed. CPU competition has not been this good since the Athlon days. 1TB M.2 SSDs are now affordable, though not cheap. If AMD can get its GPU game back together, we will be back to the good old days!

Still need ram to come down in price, and motherboard vendors to get their shit together.

>9600K over 3600X
The 3600X is so much cheaper (as it comes with a solid cooler while 9600K comes with none) for virtually the same average framerates with better minimums while crushing the 9600K in everything else, why the hell would you buy Intel at that price point?

Oh, I forgot to add this in the OP: RAM prices are down, which is why I now recommend 8GB and 16GB in cheaper tiers.

>same average framerates with better minimums while crushing the 9600K in everything else
The 3600X has not been widely reviewed. In fact, I have only seen 2 reviews for the 3600 non-X, and one of them I only noticed because it was recommended ITT.

Then isn't it premature to update the guide?

The 3700X and 3900X have been widely reviewed. I added them. How is this premature?

Since the lower price point is where most of the customers are, especially those who need help in building, I'd say it is.

I'm also curious to see where VIA/Zhaoxin's latest cpu's are going. They are planning a 7nm cpu with pcie4 and ddr5 by 2020 which is ambitious to say the least. They can't match Intel or Amd in performance but if they are cheap enough I could see them get traction in the asian market.

How do I remedy this situation? Remove the 3900X and 3700X?

Either recommend the Ryzen 5 based on what's out there or wait for more reviews if you're uncomfortable with that.
In many parts of the world the 9600K with a modest air cooler can end up costing over 50% more than the 3600, or over 30% more than the 3600X. And it definitely does not have that kind of performance over them. I don't see how anyone can justify buying it.

>wait for more reviews if you're uncomfortable with that
I am doing that right now.

I understand you concerns, that the 3600X could be the better option, but I cannot recommend something that has not been reviewed.

Good jawb
Sorry bother, but do you have the failed interview questions you posted some time back anywhere on hand?
I've been searching for them without success.

This? Oh, and since some Jow Forumsentlemen pointed this out: Pic related is TWO sections. The one on the right does not require any programming knowledge to enjoy.

I am leaving for home, will check this thread once I am there.

Attached: AllTheAnswers.png (2752x4342, 742K)

Just passing by to thank you for the site and the work put on it. Nothing else is like Logical Increments.

Thanks

>Can you tell me about your professional history?
>I try my absolute best to make sure my code doesn't have too many errors before I take it live
What exactly was the issue with this? Seems like a perfectly reasonable response, even if it's way off track for the question.

Given that you list 9900K and 3900X at almost the same price, it makes no sense to have one at exceptional and the other at enthusiast. Put both of them in both categories.
Also, please don't refer to NVMe drives as M.2. M.2 can be either SATA or NVMe.

>The 3200G, 3400G, and the 3600 were not added, as the reviews for these are scarce.
Haven't seen a single one for 3200/3400G but there are many for 3600.
It basically trashes the 9600K and rivals the 8700K while being more cost effective.
3600 is imo THE mainstream goto option for everything including gaming. You should add it.
3600 + 5700 will be the choice for many because its incredible value.

In other words, the candidate said:
>My code will have errors, but not too many, when it goes live

>Put both of them in both categories.
Put two CPUs, one from AMD and one from Intel, in the same tier?

>M.2 can be either SATA or NVMe.
Very true.

>many for 3600
Not many, just two.

Oh god. I have about 8 years of professional front-end .NET development under my belt, and yet I wouldn't be able to answer these question out of the blue. I never had to tackle any of those problems as a front end dev before. Thanks, this just made me feel like a shit dev.

>Find all the odd numbers from 0-100
>Sum all the integers between X and Y
>Count down from 700 to 200 in decrements of 13
These questions are what you answer in the second month of your first semester. These are quite literally a single line of code inside a simple loop.

Yeah I know its simple. Like you said it's something simple you learn in first semester, but that was 8 years ago. I haven't touched anything like that in 8 years. So if anyone asked me to write that in C# like right now on a piece of paper I might new a couple of minutes at least to scribble down some notes to get the memory going. But I have actually given it a thought since I wrote the previous post, because I remembered the % operator which I have only used like twice or something in all these years:
Enumerable.Range(1,100).Where(x => x % 2 != 0).

same Man I need to dig out my old books again...

Congratulations, in ~2 minutes, you have jogged your memory and regained skills that put you above 99.5% of all programming job candidates.

I am not being snarky to you, but also I am not lying: 99.5% of programming job applicants are better off applying to McD's.

>GTX GTX GTX RTX RTX RTX

When will you finally admit you are a paid shill of Nigvidia Falcon

See:

Doesn't make sense to have them in different tiers of they cost the same. Maybe you could indicate somehow which motherboards work with which ones, e.g. by color coding them? Or just name one "Enthusiast (AMD)" and the other "Enthusiast (Intel)". If you don't want to do that, then maybe just take the better one (I assume 3900X?). I don't really see why you'd only take 3900X with 2080Ti or dual 2080.
And honestly, same with 3700X and 2070 (and not 2080), I don't think trying to order it by CPU vendor works very well in general, try to think of something

I did put this, specifically saying that you can switch to the 3900X if you are not 100% pure gaming.

Attached: Untitled.png (337x556, 74K)

Besides, do the new cards even support SLI? It's gradually being phased out by both NVIDIA and AMD.

>Besides, do the new cards even support SLI?
I do not have the new cards in SLI. You mean mobos? That is a good point.

Am going to bed, will check for replies in the morning.

Thanks, Jow Forums.

Nice to see you again Falcon, I'm glad you come by occasionally
Make sure to buy all the animu figures with dat affiliate money you are making.

Wtf is Vega 56 faggot

Looks nice! And as always, your work is still appreciated, Falcon.

IF has a minimum power draw that makes Ryzen not all that useful in neutered ULV-tier laptops, but Ryzen is very efficient outside of the

How does the M12II compare to the s12II? I could go a little higher than ~60$ if it means not having to deal with a billion fuckin cables sitting in my already cramped case.
Or is there a better option than the M12 at the ~80$ range?
newegg.com/seasonic-m12ii-620-bronze-620w/p/N82E16817151095?Description=m12II &cm_re=m12II-_-17-151-095-_-Product

i don't understand the change in the exceptional cpu tier. you've changed from cpus in the ~350-400$ pricepoint to a cpu in the ~500$ pricepoint, and in the tier right below it you list the 3900x, which is only 20$ more expensive.