This shit right here is all-time peak motherboard aesthetics

this shit right here is all-time peak motherboard aesthetics

Attached: overview[1].jpg (1600x1200, 585K)

Other urls found in this thread:

estore.dfi.com/index.php/embedded-boards/industrial-motherboards/atx/hd620-h81.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i mean, just look at that

Attached: 4037-cpusocket-1[1].jpg (500x365, 72K)

Also legit more lethal as a weapon with those sharp copper fins than today's motherboards styled after guns.

>all-time peak
>not DFI
End your pathetic life.

>no ISA slots
wtf

You aren't wrong, but this board had a fucking garbage nforce chipset that severely hindered overclocking ability.

Consumer trash. Kill yourself.

High speed data tubes

Step aside zoomers

Attached: dfilpnf4sli_f.jpg (450x377, 101K)

I fucking love copper. it's a crime how they nickel-plate everything these days

>2 IDE
>2 PCI

I miss those.

Why did they even make the heatsinks like that

They don't. It's mostly aluminium

DFI had the best boards for sure but they were ugly. Raw copper era was great with the round Zalman coolers, exposed motherboard heat pipes, and this monstrosity, the 2kg Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Copper.

Oops

Attached: 817AAEA7-DF18-4321-A0C4-D1FA5E398161.jpg (500x375, 60K)

Nothing on that pleb piece of shit even moves.

Attached: msi_motherboard_sterling_fan[1].jpg (593x242, 50K)

That is amazing

Watch this.

Attached: AB50837_1.jpg (858x1000, 886K)

Fuck off retard.

Attached: images (6).jpg (425x474, 42K)

looks boring

Attached: 3880_src.jpg (1000x800, 300K)

It's boring, but that's the beauty of it, it makes the statement of a high end board, the vrm had alot of phases, but it did it in an understated way.

that's the joke. i'm glad they still make boards like that

Attached: Pro_WS_X570-Ace-1.jpg (1296x1552, 704K)

Damn bro X570 boards look like that? it feels like 2011 all over again with those P67 mobos that were beautiful.

PRO
PRO
ISSA PRO

Better than that godlike extreme gamer nonsense.

Is that a FAN on the chipset!?!?!

>I's just really really don't want to plug a fan into a fan header

>chipset fan
Speaking of 200 IQ motherboard design decisions...

Attached: futureproof rtc solution.jpg (1280x960, 379K)

What is that vertical card placed between the ethernet and the audio jacks?

Nowadays mobo manufacturer cut the end of the PCI x1 to have MOAR PCIs available.
Which I don't mind but consumer wise is just stupid since normally mobos have 3 PCI x16 and 2 other x1

Attached: PCIX_slot.jpg (604x453, 70K)

CPU fan coolers were getting ridiculously large while still blowing downward onto the plate to keep a relatively low profile, and some MB designers got the bright idea of making use of the air flow.

Attached: FANZAL3695.jpg (760x760, 80K)

That is the audio jacks.

They should've fuckin' made ISA-express slots instead of PCIe. Just the fuckin' name, Industry Standard Architecture, makes you pee yourself.

IT'S THE FUCKIN INDUSTRY STANDARD BABY

This, people often forget that VRMs create heat due to the design of mobo heatsinks these days being retarded, they buy a liquid cooler for their 5GHz chip but wonder why the board stopped working.

It'd have been better if you chose something else than an AM3+ board. If AM3+ was a peak of anything, it was the peak of AMD's autism spree. They've only recovered now so don't remind them of their disease.

Aside from X99 did anyone noticed this disappeared exactly when AMD got pummeled? Curiously when AMD makes a come back it suddenly appears again.

No I mean THIS part, I can see the audio jacks and they are not on that thing.

Attached: 1562817144432.jpg (450x377, 122K)

Chipsets were different back then. There were a lot of after market front end and back end chipset coolers for overclockers. We don't even think about them anymore because the chipsets are so much more efficient and MBs almost always have built in heat sinks if they are going for overclocking or rendering markets.

To be fair, with how fast the tech progress was back then, I think they just didn't expect the hardware to be in use long enough for the battery to be a problem

That looks neat, but I miss the front usb-c, or maybe I'm just blind

They aren't, are they?

Attached: vertical audio daughterboard.jpg (500x239, 27K)

Looks like an integrated sound card, maybe?

I know the FX single core is ass, probably should've posted a Z68X-UD3P or X79, but the VRM of that rev 4 990FX from Gigabyte was fantastic, and the board was beautiful. The 32nm motherboards cannot be topped even by new stuff in my opinion.

Attached: asus-p8p67-7.jpg (1024x1280, 517K)

>Z370
>COM, LPT, PCI

Attached: 2017091818080847.png (1000x860, 1.25M)

It was DFI's take on an AMR. IIRC no other modules were ever released though.

The pic wasn't at a highres anyway so I got confused. So it's an integrated sound card after all

>I know the FX single core is ass
But you know, multicore was even worse because the already shit single cores had to share stuff between them. The only reason they're somewhat usable nowadays is because the software can actually use all those cores.
>VRM of that rev 4 990FX from Gigabyte was fantastic
Because it had to accomodate 220W TDP CPUs like FX-9370 and 9590 the board had support for. The VRM choice was a choice between supporting or not supporting those CPUs

>Intel optane memory ready
Are the optanes even useful?

estore.dfi.com/index.php/embedded-boards/industrial-motherboards/atx/hd620-h81.html
>Haswell
>2 ISA
>10 COM

Attached: hd620-h81x_m030825_ra.jpg (600x600, 110K)

I completely forgot about those.

The FX9000 housefires as well as 9900K really showed how cheap it is for board makers to make a board with over 8 phases, you've got regular UD gigabyte Z390 boards with 10 phases just to run the 9900K, proving that gaming mobos are a ripoff.

I remember the night Trump got elected you could get an 8+2 phase 990FX UD3 R5 board for 89.99.

shiiieeeet

Attached: serveimage.jpg (1000x1000, 238K)

X99 generates more heat than Ryzen? Back then people were complaining how little features X99 had and how the mainstream was the one with the bleeding edge yada yada. Board partners still put the fans in tho

Attached: 13-132-901-03.jpg (1280x960, 251K)

Yeah I admit they easily could make affordable boards with nice VRMs but being corporations they are they'll always go for the bare minimum..

>I remember the night Trump got elected you could get an 8+2 phase 990FX UD3 R5 board for 89.99
Ehh that's cheap but you gotta remember at the time Trump got elected AM3+ was already EOL and considered really really shit so no wonder they were getting rid of the boards for cheap

It was a little removable alc850 module that plugs into a proprietary header. DFI just did stupid/crazy shit like that. The fan on that same board is maglev and they had other boards with heatpipe tower coolers for the chipset and power circuit that stuck back out of the goddamn i/o shield. Given that their whole marketing campaign centered around lan parties (where you'd show off your garish hardware and presumably frag your opponents with superior performance), you can probably guess what happened to a few people's towers as they lugged them around with a big fin stack sticking out and looking to snag on anything in range.

Sadly not bus mastering ISA, so forget about anything that needs DMA.

Even if they're practically giving away AM3+ it really showed how high profit margins of a board were where Giga could make a board that pushes 1.5v+ through a chip without breaking and sell it for so little, because the 990FXA-UD3 revision 4, 4.1, and R5 clock damn near as good as the Formula-Z for everyday overclocking, and the bios was simpler, you fuckin crank the LLC to medium, set it to 1.45v, crank the multiplier up till crashes prime FFT, dial it back, and there's your daily air OC

Attached: ports.jpg (1600x1200, 248K)

>12USBs
FOR WHAT PURPOSE

Because 990FXA-UD3.

>tfw have fairly bad copper allergy
>tfw used to cut myself all the time when doing work on my PC
>tfw would have to deal with fire hands for days after
And I still miss these copper chunks to what we have now.

>Even if they're practically giving away AM3+ it really showed how high profit margins of a board were
No that's the thing here. It's not about margins, at that point it was basically a clearance sale, getting rid of old stuff noone wants instead of having to scrap it at total loss.

The board was like 200-250$ at release so at 90$ it was probably already sold at loss, just to avoid total loss.

Which revision?

The one in the previous pic was the 990FXA-UD3 R5 v1.0, don't know why the didn't call it a Rev 5, rev 4 and 4.1 also have a firewire 400, which is sweet cause I have an HDV camera.

It's really a straight up cool motherboard if you look beyond the AMD FX thing.

Attached: best io.jpg (1600x1200, 301K)

Also that jumper block between the expansion slots was directly tied into the PCIe bus. You changed the allocation of lanes between slots by physically moving those jumpers.

is... is that a Sterling engine

Attached: di5rhtwztqcsflwemz8l[1].jpg (600x519, 37K)

This one looks comfy

Attached: 8bit.png (1077x1063, 2.66M)

tryhard

It's got OOBM and a TPM, so yeah it's actually useful for IT pros

Year 2008
16+2 phases
X58(24W TDP) with only passive cooler.

What went so wrong?

Attached: P6T Deluxe.jpg (925x768, 433K)

Vagina miners boards
cock commanders boards

im rocking the p6t-se with x5650

pretty comfy

Attached: 1562087840799.gif (500x400, 640K)

I still use it as main PC but gotta ditch it because 4x4GB PC2-6400 is damn too expensive. With a Xeon E5450 and RX 580 4GB
First owner broke the side's sata orange port and the top 1x PCIE connector but I don't need any of these
Will give it to my father

It might be that most mobo makers put the chipset right in line with the PCI-E slots these days, and don't want to run into them.
But then why not bring back the old 939-era layout with horizontal RAM slots to remedy that? Intel did this with their DX58SO, and the fan was only optional.

Attached: board.sm.jpg (730x548, 148K)

It looks incredibly tacky. Another good example of why the best engineers are designers and not autistic mathematicians.

Don't forget it even a BIOS so complex, even Jeff Dean couldn't ever understand it all.

*blocks your path*ยจ
heh, nothing personnel kid

Attached: gigabyteud7e.jpg (1280x1006, 543K)

Actually modern mobos are better in every conceivable way, may I suggest you faggots go back to

Based blue 1366 Giga boards, the UD9 didn't get de-throned from having the highest phase count (24 phase) until the Z77X-UP7 with 32 phase came along.

>when you are a theme park architect but work for a motherboard company

Attached: tout911_s1_onesheet_rollercoaster_f7_lores.jpg (2700x1800, 436K)

Y'all are small time compared to the Z270 Designare board.

Silver PCB needs to be more common.

Attached: s-l1600.jpg (1194x1600, 440K)

The heatsinks had to be kinda large, CPUs didn't do multiplier overclocking, and intel chips had a northbridge with the memory controller in there.

Attached: 7254_1.jpg (1024x816, 207K)

>all these bitches with asus,msi, gb and dfi

make way for the king

Attached: abit.jpg (1262x1585, 542K)

I miss when we had pipes running all over the motherboard

Daddy, what's a phase?

>abit
do like it and stop posting

except they're the best boards you stupid nigger, better than asus or gigabyte

The northern bridge handled memory control and was as hot as the cpu. It's strange monoblocks only became popular after chipset and vrm temperatures got under control.

did someone say pci-express?

i can't believe you're still using socket 775, what do you do with it and how well does it run?

Attached: 45b[1].jpg (1094x936, 413K)

they were great boards from 1997 through about 2005 or so. Then all their good engineers left and they made garbage for a few years before closing up shop.

Attached: 1556674752949.jpg (962x800, 173K)

ive been using this guy for like
five years now?

Attached: gig.jpg (1188x884, 276K)