Is it the best just werks, stability distro? How does it compare to openSUSE Leap?

Is it the best just werks, stability distro? How does it compare to openSUSE Leap?

Attached: fedora.png (256x256, 11K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GLinux
debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-choosing.en.html
fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade
fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F30_bugs
youtu.be/wLnzO8prW2U
firefox-flatpak.mojefedora.cz/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just fucking install it and find out.

never upgrade to the latest system version first ~month its out, always breaks something
for exanple after upgrading to 30 my battery stopped working to the point bios didnt recognise it even existed, then after a week it showed up and after another one it was back to normal

other than that its been pretty good

>just werks
Ubuntu
>Stability
Ubuntu LTS
>OpenSUSE
Suse usually has the leg up the in daily driver livability due to being heavily KDE focused
That being said, the closes thing to a Win/MacOS replacement with Ubuntu

If you wanted ultra ultra stable you could go with Debian-stable. But that will be painful from a desktop user package age standpoint. For all the shit it gets, Ubuntu is the unfortunate answer 90% of the time.

Buried on youtube somewhere is a video with the head of google internal software deployment talking about how they roll their own custom Ubuntu called Goobuntu. However, its like 90% stock ubuntu becuase it largely just werks, and they dont have to spend time maintaining a bunch of custom packages just for their own installations.

>they roll their own custom Ubuntu called Goobuntu

They switched over to Debian Testing actually, which also "just werks" is rolling, stable and up to date but is saner than.. pretty much every other distribution. Especially Poetterware Furrdork or OpenSewage.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GLinux
debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-faq/ch-choosing.en.html

>Is it the best just werks, stability distro?
It is.
>How does it compare to openSUSE Leap?
It doesn't.
>Noobuntu
Even Valve dumped it for Fedora.
>Debian
Take your CoC, and go dilate with it.

>stabiity
>fedora

Best distro is debian because
Stable relase is fucking stable
Testing relase is fucking stable but contains newer software
Unstable is stable and contains newest software possible

>stabiity
>Linux
ftfy
>another Debian tranny
Fedora has stable; it's called CentOS.

Install Arch GNU.

>ubuntu... just werks
nope
>ubuntu... stable
definite nope
>opensuse
lmao nice joke
Fedora is the only distro worth using if you plan on getting work in any capacity done. Don't listen to these faggots trying to sell you on "ubuntu" and "debian".

Fedora uses the same CoC as debian.

Yup.
Set up is a bit more involved; enabling extra repos,. installing media cedecs, etc. But once it's up and running, it's the perfect combo of stability and new software.

>just backup and reinstall every 9 months bro
Friendly reminder that browsing Jow Forums and exhentai is not work.

No, Debian and CentOS are.

>tfw using manjaro for several years now exclusively
>had zero problems with it
>other distros dont have AUR

am i in the wrong here?

>7 years old compiler

Don't know. I never cared about the AUR to be honest. My only reason to run arch was because of being rolling release, if I want a ton of packages I use Debian.

Used to be a big Windows fanboy but now I daily drive Fedora at work and at home. Every time I try something else it feels like stepping in shit.

I've been using it for a couple of months. Installing shit is a pain, but it works pretty well out of the box.

well, no.
centos isn't fedora in the same way that granny smith apples aren't fuji apples.
centos and fedora are both based on rhel; fedora doesn't 'have' centos.
two different things.
centos is for servers.

RHEL is based off of Fedora
CentOS is a rebuild of RHEL without the trademarks

Never used Fedora or Arch honestly because of the memes. I recently switched from Debian to oS Tumbleweed and it's nice, only real issue I've run into was html5 video and youtube videos wouldn't play but that was easy to fix from the docs.

no.
from wikipedia:
Originally, Red Hat sold support for versions of Red Hat Linux (Red Hat Linux Enterprise Edition 6.2E was essentially a version of Red Hat Linux 6.2/7 with different support levels.)[11] Starting with RHEL 2.1 AS in 2002, Red Hat sold their first version of RHEL. It was based on Red Hat Linux, but used a much more conservative release cycle. Later versions included technologies from the Red Hat–sponsored Fedora community distribution project.

That would be Gentoo

Ubuntu is better but not 17 and above..(bloated as fuck)
if your a freetard install Debian

Read carefully, that Wikipedia article supports what I said.
>Starting with RHEL 2.1 AS in 2002, Red Hat sold their first version of RHEL. It was based on Red Hat Linux, but used a much more conservative release cycle.
This means RHEL was initially based off of Red Hat Linux.

>Later versions included technologies from the Red Hat–sponsored Fedora community distribution project.
After Red Hat Linux, RHEL then started incorporating features from Fedora.

And if you read a little further on that Wikipedia page
>Fedora serves as upstream for future versions of RHEL. RHEL trees are forked off the Fedora repository, and released after a substantial stabilization and quality assurance effort.

rhel funds the fedora project and while it's not a red hat project per say many of its devs are also red hat devs and many of its projects are red hat developed and are tested on fedora first, fedora today is for the most part a future rhel/centos release, your paste even tells you this:
>Later versions included technologies from the Red Hat–sponsored Fedora community distribution project.

>Poetterware Furrdork
Pretty rich given that Debian itself has redhat's cock lodged deep up its ass with systemd and gnome as the default DE.

install gentoo.

almost 30 replies in before the only viable answer gets posted. You're getting old, Jow Forums. Or maybe younger, I don't know

Based. Manjaro hating is pretty much a meme. It works great.

based retard.
fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade
same shit as debian dist-upgrade

centos is just an older version of fedora.

I really like it. I'm used to work with CentOS so it's pretty much the same thing but with the focus to desktop itself. Comfy AF for those who don't have time or skill level to deal with the Arch Linux.

>beta testing for Red Hat / IBM

No thanks, I'll use the smooth and stable Ubuntu 19.04 MATE edition!

Attached: 1366856563552.gif (797x923, 114K)

Debian upgrades have at least three months of testing and bugfixing. Fedora upgrades barely have any testing because "muh bleeding edge" and testing programs for RHEL.

You can see here all the current bugs in the Fedora upgrade: fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F30_bugs

Having to backup, upgrade and maybe rollback/clean install your OS every 9 months is unacceptable in production machines, which is why everyone uses an LTS disto like Debian Stable, Ubuntu LTS, OpenSUSE Tumbleweed or CentOS.

other distros dont need AUR

>beta testing for Canonical / Microsoft
hahahhahahaa

manjaro is best
new packages and without the bugs because archniggers are used for beta test

>Red Het beta
>stability
lel

>muh bleeding edge
>barely any testing
FUD, tons of software on fedora lags quite a bit aways from stable releases of software, to say nothing of git head. COPR shit exists for a reason. just because it inst stuck in the paleolithic like debian or centos does not mean it is "untested" or "unstable"
the biennial fedora release cycle simoly parallels that of Ubuntu.

>fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F30_bugs
did you even bother to read that page?
all the listed errors are extremely uncommon fringe situations (bcachefs), minor inconveniences (log files) or shit that doesnt work on any linux distribution (hibernate)

works on my machine

But that’s not mint

I'd say MX Linux. Comes with a ton of programs(maybe too many), many gui tools to save time and is based on Debian stable, not Ubongo. The only problem is you gotta wait some months before they come with an iso correspondent to the Debian's newest release(buster in this case). The good news is that they'll release it with Xfce 14.
I tried Fedora but my laptop is a bit too old for it it seemed. Debian and Debian based distros like MX seem to work better on ancient hardware like mine.

Just use Lubuntu

Fedora is a quite good bistro. In an office environment I think it would be among the best. For home pc use, not so much

>Valve
What? What have they got to do with ubuntu and fedora?

Fedora GNU will be the new gaming distro

wrong

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-07-11 16-51-19.png (1600x900, 200K)

Have any of you Jow Forumsents ever used Fedora Rawhide as a daily driver?

yes, since it actually tries to have standards that other distributions can follow.
freedesktop.org
Unlike Ubuntu which makes snap so that you have to rely on Ubuntu libraries, bunch of jews.
But Jow Forums never listens.
They will parrot about how bad red hat is when they sponsor most free software projects

fucking bullshit the developers at debian tell on their page.
the reality is debian is so slow because of the bureaucracy the organization is.
>fixes at testing needs at least 2 days regardless of any testing done at all
>bugfixes are applied if my ass feels like
and a bunch of other retarded shit

>You can see here all the current bugs in the Fedora upgrade: fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F30_bugs
>9 months
all those bugs are currently present on your debian shitbox because it is never updated, idiot.
fedora has a life of 13 months
plus not everyone is working on a project in fucking baremetal, projects are usually tested within virtual boxes or non main machines
there's 0 reason, to have your own main laptop supporting legacy shit just because you're working on it, we have virtualization, and if it was so important you want to have a machine with it on baremetal just do it on another machine.
you're brainwashed on the debian organization, is pathetic to be honest.
in no time you're going to start cutting your dick

The only thing that has killed every single one of my fedora setups is an AMD card, I to this day, have no idea why.

Installed Manjaro a few days back on my newly bought second hand x220.
It already got stuck twice.
I'm not even overusing really.
Didn't use to happen when there was still win7.
What did I do wrong? Should I have installed fedora instead?

Once you go fedora, you never come back. Mainly cause it is stable, simple and up to date.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-07-12 01-12-44.png (1920x1080, 1005K)

I went Fedora about a week ago and now I'm back to Ubuntu, with a couple stops in between (openSUSE, Manjaro). What does that say about me?

You got used to ubunga, but really what didn't work?

user please tell me how you got your firefox to look like that.

youtu.be/wLnzO8prW2U

get firefox nightly flatpak firefox-flatpak.mojefedora.cz/ , it fixes so inconsistencies and new web renderer with amd gpu is fire.

I wanted KDE so I switched to KDE Neon, then I got into my head that I wanted XFCE and that lasted for about five minutes. Could've installed the Fedora XFCE spin but went with Manjaro, then I decided I wanted MATE and openSUSE utterly failed me so I went to tried and true Ubuntu MATE.

thanks, looks neat

Shitty propertiary (GNU) os.

Yeah I tried kde on fedora, the latte dock was out of date, fedora is really a gnome distro, but fedora rawhide kde was much better as it was running the latest kde version, so if I were to run other de I would use rawhide, people say it is pretty stable especially if you use the stable kernels.

Most of all that you're another distro hopper. Don't get absorbed into it too much, there'll never be the "perfect" distro.
That said, don't throw manjaro into it when you're looking for stable just werks distros. It still got a lot of kid's sicknesses.

Attached: 1550140243189.jpg (640x498, 86K)

Yeah Fedora specializes on the latest GNOME and releases are timed to coincide with GNOME releases. KDE is a redheaded stepchild in the Fedora world.

That's why I went KDE Neon when I wanted KDE. Latest KDE+applications on a stable Ubuntu LTS base. Much better than Kubuntu which is forced to release when Ubuntu does their releases, and you don't even get the latest KDE a lot of the time even if you're running the latest non-LTS.

I'm pretty happy with Ubuntu MATE, just finishing tweaking it to how I like it. I'll probably get bored though, but I'm thinking I'll just try and use this base to try a window manager or something if I tire of MATE. I really like FLWM but it's ancient, would be a fun project to modernize it.

t. xshe

Is there a distro without it? I understand it's kernel related?

use xfce bro

I tested both Fedora and OpenSUSE tumbleweed. Fedora KDE was reeeaaaally bad, and tumbleweed has the best kde implementation by far. I did the SELinux math and it's not worth it, I don't want to learn that rune script, it restricts too much for a desktop. It was faster to boot than openSUSE but I don't care. I don't like how fedora handles updates either.
In the end tumbleweed rolling release + btrfs root with snapshots convinced me to use that instead of fedora. Give it a shot if you arent happy with fedora for some reason.

i prefer it over ubunga. and since i dont give a shit about DEs, i'm happy with gnome and a somewhat up-to-date distro. since i was using centOS as server OS figured miggt aswell just use fedora on desktop. only broke on me with proprietery nvidia drivers + version upgrade, but switched ever since to amd gpu. and i couldnt care less if was betatester, because so far fedora is the most stable, non ancient distro i've used

the logo is similar to Facebook's, i just can't stand it

it's like the exact opposit of proprietery

I tried when I was top sperg Fedora hacker around F18, it's not worth it unless you really want to contribute and even then I recommend you have separate lab computer for it.

Lol, mint is not stable, it feels buggier than shit and it's impossible to get work done on it.

Last time I used it font rendering was shit, maybe they've fixed it but I switched to Ubuntu and haven't had problems with it.

>What does that say about me?
manchild

found the underage, fedora was first to use the f logo

What DE is that?
also
>Vivaldi
nice

Yes. I've been using fedora for I don't know how long, maybe 7 years. I started in F21.
One big con for normies is that a lot of sensible packages are not in Red Hat's repos, so you can't watch netflix because you don't have ffmpeg installed. You don't actually need ffmpeg, just some of the libraries it pulls, but
>it's hard to remember exactly which ones
>you should have ffmpeg installed anyway, it's brilliant
Other than that I find it to be more stable than any Ubuntu I've tried and it's about as easy as it can get, but it still lets you configure whatever you want, as any Linux distro should.
Tl;dr: it's THE justwerks distro.

Kinda true, but you don't need a month. After a week it's perfectly usable on the few cases where it's not perfectly usable out of the box. The upside is that everything is always up to date, I get kernel patches a few days after they enter the stable release. And you get things like actually good Wayland implementations.

I don't love Arch's approach to the AUR. Great on paper, but then you end up with 2 package managers, and you simplify that by using another interface that uses both whenever you search for something. Just make the AUR one big source repo.

Also
>lmao beta testing
I don't give a shit. It's a FOSS OS that works great, I don't care if the bugs I submit end up in RHEL. It doesn't affect me in any way.

GNOME 3.32.2