How fast does Jow Forums type?

And how would you help other anons who want to get better?

50wpm, keybr

Attached: original.gif (500x281, 1.15M)

Other urls found in this thread:

data.typeracer.com/pit/profile?user=ypri1
keybr.com/profile/q4vxja3
10fastfingers.com
keyhero.com/
zty.pe/
typespeed.sourceforge.net/
keybr.com/layouts
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I type like 80 WPM and can go up to around 100 WPM typing English on a Scandinavian QWERTY.

I want to switch to the English Workman layout, do you think it will increase my typing speed in English? Also how would that play out with a laptop, how am I supposed to learn the keyboard layout?

I type 56 wpm on a typing test reading words off a screen but I’m sure I’m a lot faster if it’s just thoughts flowing from my brain

probably like 50-80 while forming thoughts, 100-110 average, 120wpm+ if I'm in an autistic argument on irc
I used to type a lot faster with much less fingers but I switched back and forth from dvorak/colemak then started learning qwerty again and now I have no motivation to practice typing faster

I don't use Workman, use Dvorak, but I think you need at least a year before you can come back to your old speed. For laptop, if you OS isn't so shit, you can change the layout easily.

you can get back to your old speed in 2 months if you're committed and certainly get 30-50wpm in a week or two

Yeah, but how am I supposed to learn where all the keys are if my laptops keyboard is showing different ones.

50-60

i switched to colemak for a day or two

You don't look at the keyboard. Go to whatever touch typing website that has Workman layout and do it.

data.typeracer.com/pit/profile?user=ypri1

force yourself to learn touch typing, it takes a while to build the right habits but once you learn it 80+ wpm comes with close to no effort

about 110+ WPM. touch typing is definitely the way to go, and makes it so much easier.

~140wpm when i really feel like it
130 casually

~100wpm normally, if I tryhard I can peak 120wpm

I'm a typelet with 45 wpm. A bit faster in my native language.

Should I only use the pinkies for keys such as enter, shift, ctrl, etc and never use it for keys?

idk and it doesn't matter, my slow brain is the bottleneck not my typing speed

any local foss games to teach touch typing?

don't bother

just type articles as you read them in notepad or some shit, that's how I did it.

tell them to get a model m to increase their typing speed

Me now, this shit seems to work
keybr.com/profile/q4vxja3

Also I use/recommend these:
10fastfingers.com
keyhero.com/
zty.pe/

And for terminal users this:
typespeed.sourceforge.net/

Attached: monkey.jpg (800x367, 49K)

Typing of the dead is fun, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't type at 99.5% accuracy

Attached: 370463-totd.jpg (640x480, 57K)

Workman has better key distribution than Dvorak, and isn't too alien. Dvorak simply isn't for this era.
keybr.com/layouts

It would be easier to switch from Workman to Qwerty than from Dvorak to Qwerty if you need to use other's people computers at work.

40% keyboard club lets go

Attached: Screenshot_2019-07-11 keybr com - Typing lessons.png (1075x573, 60K)

Why? I have fuck all accuracy but still enjoyed it a lot.

how many days user? Share your public profile
me:

you can't just compare layouts using heatmaps (although that page actually uses a reasonable data source and conveys all the layouts fairly unlike some others), if you do this then colemak looks fine but then you start typing it and realise that h being unchanged from qwerty means that the most common bigram (th) and the most common word (the) requires a lateral movement of your index finger to type out which isn't fast nor comfortable, the dh mod is quite common among colemak users as a result
it also seems a bit odd to suggest dvorak isn't for this era when the english language hasn't really changed substantially in the past 90 years
none of this is an attack on workman btw

Would be tedious to die every 5 minutes I guess

I can type probably close to 60 on a keyboard, but I can get up to around 80-90 and way over 100 if I can use predictions, on mobile.

It kind of see saws depending on what I use though, Used my phone soley for a year, then switched to a pc so I'm getting back my speed it's just hard with different keyboards and all.

how is this Jow Forums related, someone explain

qwerty speed
trying to learn dvorak but my speed is like 15 right now

Attached: unknown.png (433x305, 54K)

>dvorak
The reason I gave up trying to learn Dvorak was because I realized it also moves around keyboard shortcuts, which are more often than not laid out after QWERTY. Like, C-x/C-c in Emacs doesn't feel as good in Dvorak. HJKL in vi is pure cancer if you don't use QWERTY.

50-70, good enough

the idea is that you rebind them to keep the muscle memory but in doing so you lose the mnemonics (like Append/Insert/Delete/Change/Open in vim etc) and increase mental load
I know some dvorak users who have software to change back to qwerty on a keypress just for shortcuts but that seems a tad retarded

Rebinding all keybindings in all programs seem like a huge PITA, though. I can't really imagine it's worth it, especially when I type at 100+ WPM on QWERTY anyway.

Also, a similar argument applies to special characters. It seems that Dvorak just pushes them all out to inconvenient positions in favor of letters, which is really backwards for programming.

Touch typing
>English 120wpm
>Russian 70wpm
>Japanese 30wpm kek

Attached: 78034ebe9fb62c5f6adfcb186a0f31c1.jpg (386x595, 45K)

85wpm according to 10fast, but it's just words with no diacriritcs and such

I'm around 70wpm if I'm programming I would guess, but like 80-90 while writing text.

Usually around 110wpm.
My best tip for typelets is to slowly use touch type. Begin with using a certain character with the corresponding finger, and when you get comfortable with it move on with the next character. I was able to jump from 60wpm to ~90wpm in a month or so.

110-120 WPM normally.
I can reach up to 140 WPM if I really tried.

99 WPM is usually the lowest I get on any test.
I have so special system, I've just used computer since the early 90's. I touch type (obviously).

I'd say just keep typing, you'll get there eventually, it's like riding a bike.

Attached: 00015781.jpg (337x383, 45K)

>so
NO*

60wpm, learned from playing games online

between 90 and 100 wpm, depending on the keyboard

Probably around 60-80 average but I can spike up to 120 depending on what I'm typing.

I have been using a Dvorak layout since 2009 or so. I'm not an exceptionally fast typer, but I am faster than when I typed with QWERTY because I have better typing habits. Lately I fell like I've regressed because I often have to use QWERTY for work. I'm "fluent" in both though.

If I need to use keyboard shortcuts a lot I usually just switch back to QWERTY to use the shortcuts though I don't mind using the displaced dvorak shortcuts. I'm just used to it.

Heat maps don't tell the whole story. Dvorak works best because you're often alternating between hands which is easier. And as the other poster mentioned, common letter combinations are easier to type with Dvorak. Besides, looking at all three layouts, Dvorak and Coleman have more heat on the home row and less on the bottom row than Workman. At the end of the day all three are clearly superior to QWERTY so as long as you learn a new layout you're going to see improvement.

No matter what I do I type at

Attached: 1476153249657.png (647x633, 501K)

200wpm but why would you need to type full throttle? I'm only doing a few things at a time and then studying about the best way to do things 90% of the time

only around 100wpm

Attached: KyuCry.png (128x128, 25K)

About like 80 WPM, which is pretty good considering I taught myself how to type and just kind of randomly rest my fingers all over the keyboard without any home positions or anything

Nah you just slow, it happens, gene redistribution isn't fair.

Attached: comment_fmRWjYzcLK9bK2Ys6qRkzQn2U2JGR9Zb.png (1528x1800, 2.36M)

80 average

Adding these sites as well:
typeracer.com (you can race against other typists)
typeabook.co.uk (you're actually typing a whole book while getting your wpm and accuracy)

100+fags, please tell me your secrets!

Attached: crying pussy.jpg (326x326, 16K)

A good keyboard

122 key model m, made in 1986
been typing since i was like 9
don't use 'conventional' homerow touchtyping, just some weird shit i independently learned

"homerow" is a-e-r-g on the left and space-m/k-l-; on the right, no thumbs

See
Hardware isn't that important if you're used to a layout. I can type the same both on my mechanical meme keyboard or rubber dome laptop keyboard.
As I said in my post, no secrets, just time.

Just make sure to actually use all your fingers.

In fact, I'm still a bit suboptimal at my right hand usage, which is probably what prevents me from regularly hitting 130+. Since I keep my pinky "reserved" for backspace, my ring finger is at an awkward position where it's only really suitable for the special characters, and so I only really use the remaining fingers for letters, which means I have to move it around unnecessarily much. If I could just improve my accuracy and not have to rely on backspace so much, I might not have this problem, but it's hard to relearn. I really do utilize all fingers on the left hand, so it's a bit dumb.

Any tips, apart from putting an electric fence on the backspace button?

>I can type the same both on my mechanical meme keyboard or rubber dome laptop keyboard.
I too can technically type as fast on a rubber dome board, but it's much more tiring, since I have to utterly smash the keys to ensure they actually trigger. That's the advantage of a mechanical keyboard.

60 wpm on a laptop without tryharding
I'm probably 50 or so outside of those tests, and if I tryharded i could probably go up to 80.

imagining the shape of your hands is fucking me up

I did user

that's funny, I think people who type less than 60wpm are just the people who didn't grow up with a computer and internet

60 wpm is just a word a second

One hand vs two hand.
Trying to fix my mistakes with upper lowercase with these typing tests just slows me down too much. I thought I'd be at least 120wpm.

Attached: epeen.png (896x858, 261K)

you are not everyone in the world, so you don't know how fast everyone in the world types. i have no reason to lie about my typing score. why do you think i would lie about it? to impress anonymous people i don't know? think about it

Like 80 on a good day but my accuracy is horrendous, my touch typing is so bad that for some works Backspace is part of that word every time for me

That's why you never go for speed unless your acc is almost perfect

105wpm

type moar

i do 80 without trying at all. the fastest i have ever done is 140 (with some memorized text). i use the backspace key about once a sentence at most.

>computer class in high school
>teacher tells us we're going to be doing a test to measure typing speed so we can see who improves the most over the course of the year
>of course this means it's going to be a dick measuring contest to us and nothing more
>people start bragging about being able to hit 65, 70
>one kid says anyone who types slower than 75wpm has the gay
>now it's serious
>teacher starts the test and furious clacking fills the room
>teacher starts to congratulate the fast typers as their results come in (I think one kid got a 120 or something and the next was in the high 90s)
>I got a 28 and felt like the biggest faggot
>after everyone is done, the teacher asks this autistic emo kid who sat behind me to retake the test, this time without cheating
>he gets all defensive and says he didn't cheat
>teacher walks up to where the kid is seated to personally assure no cheating
>teacher repeats for him to retake the test in front of everyone if he's sure he didn't cheat
>we start crowding around the teacher and this poor fuck who is now in the spotlight
>he cracks his knuckles like a wannabe hacker tryhard
>we prepare to laugh derisively in the traditional high school fashion
>he starts his retake
>his fingers just fucking spasm in a way that anyone watching without context would justifiably assume was a painful, localized seizure
>finishes with a 203wpm
>didn't even miss a single word
>teacher just quietly goes back to his desk and continues on with class
>pretty sure that kid dropped out a year or two later and either OD'd on heroin or got hit by a car
I learned at a young age that typing speed was a mountain that I was never meant to reach the peak of. I'll stay perfectly happy with my current 65.
[spoiler]RIP Damion. I hope you're having a good time shooting up, knocking back some cold ones and shitposting from hell, you shrimpy autistic bastard.[/spoiler]

Attached: 1551393044096.png (644x748, 418K)

I can touch type at 60wpm average. How long will it take for me to reach 100wpm average?

Layouts are about comfort not speed, negligible if they do, also workman is a terrible layout.

regular speed is like 85ish wpm, if i try hard i can push it to like 115wpm. i learned how to type fast by playing a lot of online games as a kid, you need to type quickly to shit talk

High WPM doesn't really help with programming so I don't bother to check.

why are laptop keyboards always trash, it's so hard to use all the fingers. my accuracy drops hard after 60wpm, but on a good keyboard I can easily do 80wpm.
yeah, high wpm is a meme but when you type so much daily it's fun to test yourself.