Monitors for work/programming

What's your setup? Are you planning to change soon?

Is a ultrawide monitor better than 2 smaller monitors? What do you think?

Attached: ultrawide.jpg (960x720, 107K)

Other urls found in this thread:

displaywars.com/27-inch-16x9-vs-25-inch-21x9
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm also interested in this question. Currently on one extremely shitty monitor and I'm wondering if I should move to two or one big one.

I was on two 1080s, 1 24" and 1 21.5", more monitors is usually more productive for me, just have different documents and programs on different screens. It's not like a difficult concept to grasp. Getting a 144hz prime day for gaymen tho

Got a single 34" ultrawide 21:9/1660p/120Hz/FreeSync for gaming.
Works great for productivity too when you can have several things side by side, otherwise I've used 1:1 side by side in the past and this is pretty much the same but without a border, both Linux and Windows have good enough titling support to make using it a breeze like that.

I code on a 4k resolution 15-inch screen laptop, using an external keyboard so I don't ruin the laptop one. My life is suffering.

Attached: 1558142384582.png (1000x1000, 177K)

Thanks for the replies guys, which monitor will pron look best on?

I have a work laptop that I plug into a three-monitor setup at my office, giving me 4 monitors in total. To be honest the 4th monitor is unecessary but I have the monitors anyway and I just use it for things I only have to reference occassionally.

As for ultra-wide vs dual monitors, I personally prefer dual monitors. I like having the distinct boundaries between my applications and they work right out of the box (whereas I would have to play around with window managers to get an ultrawide monitor to do the same job).

thinkpad t480 + ipad 12.9 with Duet as a second screen/touchscreen is usually what I always have.
At work (not developer just IT) I use the above + three of the five monitors for extra space.

I reckon an AH-IPS panel would do it.

OP Here. I've got 2 monitors in job but I also work at home and can't handle working on my notebook screen anymore. Ultrawide looks great but I fear it isn't what I want.

how about 4k tv + t450s?

Attached: 1558290962530.jpg (300x300, 20K)

>1660p
1600p derp. I was thinking of 1440p when I wrote it.

>Is a ultrawide monitor better than 2 smaller monitors? What do you think?
If you're a heavy user of things like tmux or i3, then having separate reasonably-sized monitors (say, 24") can make window management a lot more pleasant. I don't see much of a use case for ultrawide monitors unless you're working in one application that benefits from a lot of width (media editing?).

why are you doing this user

>I code on a 4k resolution 15-inch screen laptop
>My life is suffering.
I guess your laptop's battery life is suffering too.

>one main monitor to focus on that fits good posture and is not too high resolution for text to be to small

more than one monitor is distracting.

damn that monitor butters my ass

What is the monitor called? Sounds good, are there more pixels on screen then with widescreen 1440p?

Since an amd gpu cant even drive that many pixels at 120hz+ without playing on low or something, don't you need like rtx 2080 ti to drive that?

I prefer a 4k 60Hz monitor for programming. Its basically a 2x2 matrix of 1080p monitors with no bezel inbetween.

I use corner snapping and have four windows, or I put my terminal fullscreen and use tmux or vim.

Its perfect for programming.

I've only recently got an ultrawide monitor for free....my first monitor upgrade in 10 years...it's a shame it's only 75hz but I like it.

Is a 25" ultrawide enough?

i have a 1440x900 90hz monitor that i got for like 30$ back when i was into gaymen and a second one that's 1650x1050 that has better image quality and colors that i got for 25$. dual monitors are cool when you work on projects that require lots of debugging (eg opening the program one one monitor and having a debugger on the other)

29" UW 1080p screen. I also had generic 1080p screen on left and 768p screen on right(this shit supposed to be vertical, but it was blurry mess when rotated), but i ditched them. It was kinda overwhelming and was making me anxious for some reason. It's much easier for me with a single monitor.

Depends how close you sit to the screen, 25" ultrawide is narrower than a 27" 16:9
displaywars.com/27-inch-16x9-vs-25-inch-21x9

My setup at work: 1 ultra wide between two 21inch.

3 monitors is honestly amazing. DB open on one screen, vs19 on another, the app I'm working on the third.

>actually writing code that is less than 80 characters per line

monitor: old asus x223w 16:10 monitor
keyboard: old beige fujitsu siemens keyboard
mouse: ol logitech mouse, looks rly ugly
cpu: i5-2500k (h61 ;_;)
ram: 8gb ddr3 1333mhz (i only had 4gb of ram so i stuck a chinese soddim to dimm adapter and added 4gb extra, worked without flaw)
psu: 500w silverstone psu 80+ gold
gpu: evga gtx 1050ti SSC
storage: 1x 256gb samsung 850 pro ssd/ 820gb hdd

i upgraded this week, u can imagine my pc and setup

did u go back 10 years in time for half your parts?

Lol? You can drive 4k displays at 120Hz, now you're saying you can't drive 1600p at 120Hz? It's basically a cut down 4k display, but you get the FOV benefit of the aspect ratio.

based

16:10 is not a meme, it is a literal gift from God. I'm Planning on getting another Del Ultra sharp soon

I use a TN for gayming and a VA vertical for terminal/browsing/music etc. Flip the VA back for tv + films on the side.

Attached: jeff_dean_single_monitor.jpg (1200x801, 208K)

What monitor is that

Thinking about getting a CSG9 monitor, is this a mistake in terms of having something superior come out this year?

hurr

Currently using 3 monitors since I can't afford a single massive one. But really I'm just going to wait until VR resolution is high enough, that I can use virtual desktop apps. Being able to attend yourself in a large space with a 100' screen would be great.
(Besides resolution other current problem with VR headsets is that your eyes don't actually focus far away, the image plane for each eye is like 1-2 meters away at most)

attend=surround

> Is a ultrawide monitor better than 2 smaller monitors?
IMO, no. I've done both, and I can be productive with both, but I would still take multiple smaller monitors.

If you're going to tile, having natural boundaries to assist with window management makes it easier. And tiling is the only way to use all the space with vertically-oriented content like text.

Multiple vertical ultrawides can be extremely viable though, if your workload is mostly reading and writing text.

LG 27UK600-w 27 inch matte 4k for work and productivity
Crisp text soothes the eyes

lg 43ud79-b , pwm is a boomer rmyth

What's the recommended "budget" (sub 300$) monitor currently for non-gayming that is VESA mountable?

***at 27-32"

How does 1440 look at 32"? Is it something like 1080 @ 27" ? (which doesn't look that great)

A single 43" 4K. Very comfy.

>3 star review on amazon
it's shit.

You can literally see other monitors in the reflection.

Personally I dont like ultrawides. It's mostly psychological, but two screens just gives you better division of space. I can sort things out by screen and it makes sense.

Are led monitors for gaming and ips lcd for workstation? Photoshop and video editing.

chilled cow?

personally I do all my work on a 300"

Dell monitors with the rotating stand are kino

Attached: IMG_20190712_094651.jpg (4000x3000, 2.94M)

that's not from him retard, it's maybe a coworker

>those monitors
what's your job about?
looks interesting

>those gaps
Wasted space. Opinion discarded.

>other monitors
attached to other computers. you high?

Sysadmin or web dev, depending on the week. Startup shit.

those pods in the back look nice

judging from your monitors you have some tests failed

Planning on making something simple for my desktop
What do you guys think?

Attached: Untitled.png (584x467, 19K)

tennis ball?

imagine working on a computer. Looking at a thing that makes you blind everyday for a living , holy shit

>that 1980s technology

really brah
you using a serial to dvi to hdmi adapter on that

cant you tell its my anal plug?

No. Also stop being poor.

It's a t70, the 2017 refresh of the 2007 t60 by a Shenzhen thinkpad enthusiast forum.
i7-7820hq, 32gb ram, nvme SSD, 1600x1200 ips display

what the model of his monitor? thiccc

is that AIDS John Hamm?

itt: retards who don't know about workspaces

Ultrashite are a meme, get a 45" 4k monitor.

I'm a web developer and have 2 24' monitors on a dual monitor stand. I enjoy it. I don't code on my desktop, I use my work-issued laptop for that but I enjoy having the "border" between the 2 monitors. My monitor stand can also rotate either monitor 90 degrees if I wanted to use one for coding or reading a long document. I never enjoyed reading or coding that way but it's nice to have.

My normal use is a fullscreen browser in one monitor and Youtube in the other one.

Pic related

Attached: Snapchat-1413850312.jpg (1080x1920, 659K)

ultrawide obviously, because there's no fucking gap in your view and no hassle with window managment. multiple monitors must be the most stupid tech meme there is. just duct tape your monitor through the middle to get similar experience

an ultrawide is definetly better than two 16:9 ones since you don't have that stupid border in the middle. I currently have a 21:9 34" as main and a 16:9 18" rotated at 90° and it's perfect

>no hassle with window management
But there is, you either

1. have to install specialized window management software

or

2. have to fiddle with your windows and adjust them manually, rather than just full-screening them automatically

RIDE THE CURVE BRO

This alone sounds like a reason why I do not want to go the ultra-wide route and just stick with 2 monitors on a dual monitor stand. The only drawback is that "border" in the middle but to me, that just seperates the two tasks I am doing so I don't mind it.

Imagine having an ultra wide that you multitask on but if you fullscreen a window on one side of the monitor it fullscreens the whole monitor. That would be painful .

With dual monitors you have clear seperation of tasks on each monitor.

I want to get a CRG9 on black friday. It seems perfect for seamlessly using all my computers at once. I just can't justify $1500 on a fucking monitor though. I hope they cut it at least $500 for bf.

I currently have a piece of shit asus tn 1440p monitor with a faulty display port and horrible backlight bleed that i payed way too much for.

which one are you using?

>Is a ultrawide monitor better than 2 smaller monitors? What do you think?
I have an ultrawide and would rather have two discrete monitors. You're locked into the form factor and the aspect ratio with an ultrawide. You can have all the verticality you want with a dual setup.
A lot of them don't have standard VESA mounts and limits your position options since you can't strap it to custom braces.

>single
>>>>>monitor
You don't need dual monitors if you have a 34" behemoth like that.

Attached: 1314070648722.png (872x595, 47K)

Would he be a developer if he didn't have eye drops on his desk.

Get three monitors, then you can have one in the center. I like a vertical one in the center

Jeff Dean can't touch type so extra monitors wouldn't benefit him.

>Jeff Dean can't touch type
Wasn't it mentioned that he typed super fast in the newyork times article, or at least in some Jeff dean joke?
Typing fast usually doesn't go along with unable to touch type.