Ubuntu is replacing default apt programs with snaps in new installations... what do you think of it

Ubuntu is replacing default apt programs with snaps in new installations... what do you think of it

Attached: logo-ubuntu_st.jpg (1191x842, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

makeuseof.com/tag/install-linux-mint-x-apps-ubuntu/),
github.com/linuxmint/xreader),
bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/snapd/ bug/1643706
ubuntu.com/legal/contributors)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I don't really give a shit. They're not gonna remove apt, and snap is supposed to make installing software easier for ex-Windows and Mac users

I really wish they would increase the telemetry data that they collect, millions of users like me are too scared of using an OS that isn't monitoring us.

laughs in systemd and broken xorg.conf

sudo apt purge apport whoopsie popularity-contest avahi

>snap is supposed to make installing software easier for ex-Windows and Mac users
Windows user who's considering trying out a Linux distro again here. Explain?
I thought the Package Manager or Software Central was as friendly as it could get.
I've been trying out a live mode distro for a few days now, and it has a Package Manager with tons of software. Doesn't Ubuntu have one too?

The only problem that these kind of programs have, is the fact that you get libraries and applications mixed, so some times you just can't tell which is the correct package you're supposed to get.

Remember Mir? Remember Upstart?

The same will happen to snap.

>snap is supposed to make installing software easier for ex-Windows and Mac users
>install ubunut
>try to install a good ebook reader
>none in the repos they're all in fucking snap
>try to install with snap
>error
>error
>error
>none of them fucking work (worked fine in gentoo)
>even the ones with regular packages don't fucking work
>read book on fucking phone instead
>open applications menu
>doubles of stock apps that got installed as both regular and snap packages everywhere
>uninstall ubuntu
>reinstall gentoo

Attached: 1542952315401.png (815x590, 509K)

snaps suck dick, but flatkaps aren't much better tbqhwy

first it was apt-get turning into apt get. now it's apt get turning into snap get ?

Why are they spending energy on changing things that already works perfectly well ?

It just seems like solutionism, an answer in search of a question. Won't this just fuck things up with dependancy hell?

I have to run a full Ubuntu KVM for this specific binary that's only distributed in snap because snapd itself won't run under a systemd-nspawn container (which is what I already use to separate my services).

A simple .deb would have allowed me to run that specific service under a generic Ubuntu install no matter if it's running in a container (I'm pretty sure snapd won't also work under Docker, LXC or whatever), virtualized, bare metal or a toaster.

What a nonsense.

>xorg.conf

linus has broken xorg

Arch GNU doesn't have this problem.

>sudo install shit
that shit needs to stop
we need something like one click package installation without ALWAYS relying on online repositories

Finally, standardization.

... Why?

I think it's stupid. Synaptic package manager was fine and better.

I think it's stupid. Terminal command was fine and better.

>you need systemd to run snap
into the trash it goes.

One more reason not to use ubuntu. I just hope it doesn't pull most software dev towards snap, ideally it will die a quick death.

Nah. Synaptic is better than terminal.

>ebook reader
Most pdf readers can open epub easily. I know for a fact that both mupdf and xreader/evince can.

Why do they have to alienate their userbase with every single release? Why haven't they learned from Unity, Mir, Upstart etc.

that's not really ideal though
i used coolreader in gentoo, and liked the whole two-page layout and flipping pages with arrow keys n shit
idk

Xreader can do both of these

Why does Jow Forums hate Ubuntu when everyone else recommends it?

t installing debian

GNOME Software can do that though, even with flatpaks or flatpakrefs

My main issuse with snaps is that snap packages don't respect your system's gtk/qt theme or icon theme. At least flatpak respects the icon theme at least.

I don't know why Ubuntu decided to use a packaging system as bad as PPA's which forced developers to have to package a version of their app for multiple Ubuntu releases.

What you're looking for is appimages. A lot of developers are releasing app images now that you can just click and run.

$ apt install xreader
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package xreader

$ snap find xreader
No matching snaps for "xreader"

Attached: 1546121424870.jpg (435x435, 19K)

I think they've been doing this for some time now.Pay attention when you boot up next time.I've been seeing snaps starting up for months now.

It's a Linux Mint package. One of their X-Apps, which is pretty much just taking software from other DEs, but making it DE-agnostic.
You can either add a repo (makeuseof.com/tag/install-linux-mint-x-apps-ubuntu/), compile from source (github.com/linuxmint/xreader), find a .deb somewhere, or just install the program.it is based on, evince, which has all the same functionality but with the addition of some GNOME bs.

Meanwhile, on windows...

Meanwhile on Windows, ypur only option is to download shit from Boris' website (equivalent of searching for a .deb). Linux gives you options while windows doesn't. The only free-as-in-freedom pdf viewer on windows is Sumatra, while Linux gives you a choice.
And don't get me started on compiling. On Linux you just ./configure, make and make install, or quickly throw together a PKGBUILD to do the same. Tell me how you would compile a program from source on Windows.
And then there is uninstalling. Do you trust Sergej's uninstall.exe to really remove everything?

>My main issuse with snaps is that snap packages don't respect your system's gtk/qt theme or icon theme. At least flatpak respects the icon theme at least.

theme nerds like this guy hold linux desktop so much. seriously who gives a fuck what your icons look like faggot. you want them to match your programming socks? kys.

>bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ source/snapd/ bug/1643706

>Try to open a file that's not in your home folder, can't do so thru the open file browser.

>Thank you for your bug report, the confinement restriction is a feature though. Where do you want to play videos from? Reading from another location than your userdir or removable media or remote shares is probably something most user never do...

Flatpak and Snaps are both corporate tools to push agendas.
Redhat/IBM's Flatpak, and Canonical's CLA (ubuntu.com/legal/contributors)
handcuffed Snappy.

Appimage master race.
Minimal, concise, portable.
No dependencies, modular, can still be sandboxed with something like firejail while still being lower resources than the other two.

Appimage is the Unix choice.

>agendas
schizo >Appimage
uses local glibc, dropped immediately as is not distribution agnostic. Is as good as just packaging binaries, idiot.
>"Unix" choice
stupid newfag buzzword, when you stop being underage and lurk for more than 1 week you will realize unix is bullshit and is not optimal.
Compiling as a single program is better than scripting together different binaries

Found the microsoft shill.

This is an Ubuntu thread, Arch user.

>Ubuntu is replacing default apt programs with snaps in new installations
Literally the reason I cut Ubuntu out of my life. Fuck them for promising snaps wouldn't replace apt and then immediately going back on their promise. Oh well, Debian objectively better in all aspects except ease of use anyway.

If you are planning on using any shit based on Debian why not using Debian? Ubuntu is like Uber cancer

Snaps work on all distros without the need to make a special version for each one