So is Vulkan ever going to actually be used for anything or is it another dead amdrone pipe dream?

So is Vulkan ever going to actually be used for anything or is it another dead amdrone pipe dream?

Attached: Vulkan-API-logo.png (400x400, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan_(API)#Games
pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/List_of_Vulkan_games
github.com/Joshua-Ashton/d9vk
youtube.com/watch?v=Fri2Ko-t-Zo
youtu.be/26vOt6N581Q
youtube.com/watch?v=V58bfGoOWTo
twitter.com/SebAaltonen/status/1076765876148490240
pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/List_of_DirectX_12_games
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Some games are using it, that's all I can really say about it right now.

But it was supposed to completely revolutionize the industry and double the performance of amd graphics cards. It was posted about constantly here a few years ago as the next big thing. What happened?

Nvidia cuda is industry standard , you can link up to 16 tesla in one server how awesome is that.

I fucking hate this piece of shit
Literally killed any possibility of AMD unfucking their opengl drivers

Devs are lazy.
Ones that implement it well, see Doom, got considerable performance increases, even on nVidia hardware.

MPV
Bunch of emulators (psp/wii/ps3/xbox/etc)

I use these frequently already.

it did drastically improve performance on most games it's used on, but since it's different from what everyone is already used to (directx) and isn't compatible with consoles nobody in the industry uses it by default

ive used it on tons of games. where have you been? also i think dx12 will perform similar functions to vulkan so its no longer necessary for amd or anyone.

didn't nvidia also see improvements using it as well as amd? seems to me more companies should be using it if both gpus are getting more out of it.

Revolutionized Linux gaming. Steam support for Windows titles uses a DirectX->Vulcan layer.

>Tons of games
Name 5 that natively support vulcan.

People forget that it took around 5 years for Dx11 to really be widely adopted even though it was substantially better then Dx9. Shit, some small games are STILL pushed out at Dx9 to this day.
Adoption of any new API is slow at best.

Most IdTech games uses it. I believe Epic Games doesn't put it in Unreal because they may get a lot of money from Microsoft and Nvidia to care about that.

>opengl
It's dead

Yeah dxvk is fucking based

>It's dead
Lincux btfo

Doom used it, benchmark of the singularity used it. That's all I can think of.

Doom
Quake
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Mad Max
Jackie Chan

>It can't be that it's a sidegrade at best from dx12 for an incredible amount of effort. It must be a conspiracy of companies bribing each other.

>real-time 3d rendering
>must be gaems
obsessed

vulkan and dx12 are similar.

all vulkan compatible:
unreal
frostbite
id tech 6,7
unity
cry engine 5

Dx9-12 is already being translated to vulkan so it is the only api you need.

>isn't compatible with consoles
Wat

Attached: Cat_Biters.jpg (743x800, 108K)

More importantly shit devs needs to start working on multi-gpu support so we can get chiplet gpus.

Its a pain in the ass to program and almost forces you to use c++ and vs due to longass(50chars+) names and constant allocation.

dx9 too? would source games ever be supported i dream in silence.

Emulation? Cemu is getting Vulkan support "soon"

The dumb naming shit is far worse in the c lib for it than the c++ lib, but all the tutorials use the c library still.

Emulators and games use it, more so than DX12.

Works wonders for Beetle PSX HW.

It's compatible with consoles, fact is the new generation encourages use of Vulkan over DX and XGL because Navi does better with it.
Some consoles games actually use it too on current gen consoles.

vukan on a source engine game? can you stop being retarded, valve would have to work for that to ever happen, they're too busy counting their steam paychecks.

>sidegrade
>many features of DX12 are locked due to no Shader Model 6.0 being released.

It did. It will take another 10 years for it to become de-facto though.

That's a good thing. OpenGL is legacy shit.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan_(API)#Games
Don't forget emulators, everything from Switch to PS3.
Also don't forget DXVK, best thing to happen to Linux gaming in a while.

Xbox is directx.
Current gen sony is proprietary but its most similar to directx.
Only the Nintendo switch supports vulkan.

Yeah, DXVK and D9VK.

PS4 is GNMX and lower level GNM.
Both PS4 and Xbox support Vulkan natively. Both use AMD GPUs, upcoming generation will be the same, but with even more focus on Vulkan, I'd say the PC ports will all have Vulkan support because of that too (of console Vulkan games).

github.com/Joshua-Ashton/d9vk
The dev wants to merge it to DXVK and also do dx8 eventually. Maybe ddraw too.

They're both pretty much the same, still both are unmanageable and unusable.
The validation layer bullshit only adds to the injury by being the most retardedly complex bullshit ever, even pajeet level copypasting is more elegant than that and they parade it as if its the best solution

your posting of this thread makes you a moron

is there a video any footage of D9VK working stably?

The DXVK dev is actually getting paid by valve now. The D9VK guy might also be on valve money injection based on the rate of the development.

Check youtube?

I use it with mpv. Much better performance than opengl.

Literally like a hundred vids on youtube.
youtube.com/watch?v=Fri2Ko-t-Zo
The most recent version from few days ago can play almost anything. I think some fixed function lighting stuff is still in development.

enough dreaming
youtu.be/26vOt6N581Q

does vulkan even give it better performance?

youtube.com/watch?v=V58bfGoOWTo
It's already better than """native""" ""ports"".

Any of these any good?

Compared to what? It's way faster than wined3d.

I have to imagine with all the talk of next gen console performance, they're using vulkan and just haven't announced it yet

wow, you're forced to use a performant language that you were going to use to make the fucking game anyway
oh no.
nooooo...

if I weren't a lazy cunt. OpenGL my prior engine was getting something like 40fps because OpenGL is absolute cancer for organizing drawcalls in any sane manner, on vulkan with the same setup I was getting ~200-400 fps. new card I have to cap fps because it's over 2k.

Attached: 1540851940216.jpg (2048x1536, 484K)

>vulkan thread
>starts talking about opencl vs cuda
why?

why you downplaying it vs directx so much? directx is proprietary microsoft shit that the game devs and the game users have zero input on. software devs want this, it unhitches another major chunk of software from some mostly uncaring corporation's hands and puts its future in the hands of those who give a fuck to advance and use it for greatness instead of slowing milking money with it.

could this possibly have any implication of making classic games run better on classic hardware?

You fucking nigger, are you missing the point on purpose? The point of having a C API is to be able to easily USE C. Its much much simpler to write an FFI using plain C than it is using C++ which they are pushing real hard due to the validation bullshit being C++ only because the lunarg niggers cant live without std::vector for allocations.
In the past you could just write a prototype in a few lines of ogl, with Vulkan? More like 2k+ lines for a fucking quad on screen 80% of those being fucking error handling.

Back burner. This would boost AMD GPU performance considerably.

And you wonder why? DX11 is compared to DX9 undocumented piece of shit. Not even speaking about DX12. If you want to learn DX11 or DX12, you might as well just learn Vulkan. When it comes to industry, that's different story.

Vulkan is fine for ports, meh for everything else

Godot is getting Vulkan support in 4.0 hopefully. Big chunk of work is already done. I doubt it will encourage people to create 3D games in that engine though.

Good. Fuck C.

>Software devs want vulkan
Then why aren't they using it?

this

playstation essentially guarantees Vulkan development.

At the moment some studios are switching over and some are struggling with it and stuck with OpenGL.

No Man's Sky actually sees massive performance gains from the beta Vulkan client in most cases.

because big businesses dont operate on a whim like theyre just posting on Jow Forums

I know Studio Wildcard dropped their Vulkan and DX12 development because none of them have any idea how either work.

Probably a retard who inserts himself into subjects he doesn't even have a cursory understanding of.
It didn't because it's got problems. It's a bad compromise according to many. It's of course nice to get more low level access but it's got limits.
They're working on it though. I just don't trust Khronos to actually churn out something really good. Committees make that impossible.

Yes it's well known fact that gaming industry is full of incompetent idiots.

Can't justify the extra development time. Need lower resource demand? Just drop the resolution on some assets. Much faster than optimizing code.

Judging a group by their worst members (they're practically as good as asset flippers) isn't fair.
But yes they're clearly awful. The switch release is practically a scam. Contrast with something like claybook.
twitter.com/SebAaltonen/status/1076765876148490240

What do you mean? You have very few good examples but other than that most games are unoptimized pieces of crap without any value. I'm not surprised bunch of retards can't learn Vulkan.

It seems like if I was working on a commercial game the last thing I would want to do is waste time with low level hardware access trying to reinvent the wheel. Maybe in another 10 years vulkan will have a bunch of drop in modules to handle that shit and it will be more convenient to actually use.

>I want to work on game
>I'm not willing to learn low level programming
Speaks for itself.

You guys are getting it wrong, its not that lowlevel hardware is bad its just that the ammount of code that takes to get there is greater than the actual render code add the error handling and the boilerplate exceeds the actual code like 4:1.
And its not even that advanced, most vulkan "optimization" lies in baking the pipelines and syncing memory so you get near 0 cpu use but to get there you need to make a ton of structs that all have very similar very long names.
Instead I would've had a single big array of parameters and addresses, much simpler than the nightmare that is vulkan.

The people who made ark are awful.
>the industry is full of people who don't care
It's filled with people who set their targets low so they don't have to care. But the cases you're talking about like PUBG are not that common. Not if we're counting games with any measure of success. Of course there's also countless children () who just make shit for fun and pretend that it's real games.
I don't believe the games industry is worse than software in general. Just now when I went to search for that Twitter post it took Twitter 5 seconds to open and another 3 for posts to show (and you can't click the search icon while waiting). If we extrapolate that to game performance it would probably be a 1 minute render per frame. It's just more visible when game devs fuck up.
To say that it's 'unoptimized shit' just ignores their relative performance.
Of course I agree that almost everyone could be better. Games like doom proves that.

this
look at sli support
devs want maximum output for minimal input
why go through all the trouble when it works good enough on single card along with the same api that has been used for ages
all the new rtx meme features will end up just like the rest

Yes welcome to game development since the first commercial engines were released.
Fucking nobody cares about optimization except neckbeards who jerk off over software minimalism. You don't have to like it but don't pretend it's not reality.
That was my point
More work
Some performance enhancement
No software company is going to pay to write 4x as much code unless they will sell 4x as many games.
Consumers don't really care how optimized software is as long as it works.

the very reason why vulkan was made was to get rid of abstraction in order to grant lower lever acess to hardware. so developers can make better optimized games for better performance. i dont think they will do a 180 after going to the job of doing this

>Fucking nobody cares about optimization except neckbeards who jerk off over software minimalism. You don't have to like it but don't pretend it's not reality.

Have you played No Man's Sky at launch? or Ark at any point?
Optimization is kindof a big deal, at least once it's to the point where it performs the way you would expect it to on the hardware you have.

Instead, 4K cards become 1080p cards when running Ark.

>nobody cares about optimization
What a joke.
There are thousands of presentations made by employees of AAA companies, talking about different kinds of optimizations for all kinds of systems.
Actual engine devs do care, and they make no secret about it.

Optimization is the key thing in game development and actually it doesn't matter if you write it all from scratch or use game engine. Badly optimized games mean that devs are either too stupid to make game in the first place or just too lazy, there is no other excuse in times when everything is pretty much standard, Vulkan included. That initialization code you are all complaining about is reason why you have engines you dumb fucks. No company is going to re-write that piece of code with every game.

>error handling is bad
>lower access to hardware is bad
>proper initialization/config is bad
Bunch of C monkeys coding in obsolete language are batthert because OpenGL has good successor.

>error handling is at least 2x+ the size of your render code
>good

Why you would need more render code? Having good error handling makes good sense to me, rather than doing it all DX way, with assert macros everywhere.

Vulkan is one step forward and and two punches in the nuts.
It should exist, and was necessary, but it just turned out shit.
The api is garbage, bloaty and hard to get into. But I guess I will still probably still port my engine to vulkan.
It can't be helped.

The fact that you would need error handling that is more than twice your actual working code is madness, I mean how can you reason such notions its beyond me. Ok, in ogl it was hidden from you but then I guess it means that gpu and their drivers are a mess beyond repairing.

this guy complains about if err != nil

retard

Yes.

Because you want to handle errors, why is it so hard concept to understand? Too hard task for you? Maybe you should write scripts instead.

right now, more games support vulkan (56) than dx12 (47). and on top of that, all vulkan games actually gain fps, unlike some dx12 implementations (that are not done by microsoft) where the fps is less than that of dx11

pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/List_of_DirectX_12_games

Why the hell would there be errors if you program correctly?
I get memsyncing but thats easy to handle, nothing on the level of retarded that is vulkan. The API just sucks ass and Khronos did a terrible job, if it had been 1k loc of total setup it would've been perfectly fine since most of the work comes in organizing your pipeline and submission schedule but thats it

i can't even get the lunarg sdk compiling because it uses cmake, whose dependency checking is invariably broken

>Why the hell would there be errors if you program correctly?
You never did low level programming, right?

seems talented developers, such as the team from the Dolphin Emulator, seem to disagree and have no issues with Vulkan implementatiom
get guud

don't check for errors then

I'm porting my engine in x64, thats why I complain its not C, you retard.

Vulkan isn't the most brilliant solution and it's pretty complex but complaining about error handling code is just braindead even as a joke.

Why are you wasting time with game engines when you are C boomer and you don't think about possible issues? I'm telling you, pick up Lua and do some scripts. You can make your useless platformer even in game maker.