/who/ else is waiting for ARM based windows high-end based laptops ?

/who/ else is waiting for ARM based windows high-end based laptops ?

Attached: snapdragon-8cx-logo-3840x2160.jpg (3840x2160, 980K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PaSmZzo3Y_c
vocaroo.com/i/s0EkDdSP8xuN
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Why even use Windows at that point? If you can't run x86 apps, you're limited to Windows Store apps and yet still (even if indirectly) paying for a Windows license. Buy a fucking Chromebook.

> you can't run x86 apps
wrong

>you're limited to Windows Store apps
wrong again

Correction: One could still emulate x86 apps; however, it would be such an intensive task that it would eliminate any battery life or performance advantages that a high-end x86 laptop would have.

Install Arch Linux ARM

lol. Based retard.

You can run x86 (not 64-bit) applications on windows 10 on arm

>high end
>ARMshit

>ARM based laptops
>high-end
>Windows

Attached: ede2b35ab00e4365be8e199112a17567.jpg (363x550, 23K)

>you can't run x86 apps
>you're limited to Windows Store apps
Wrong.
youtube.com/watch?v=PaSmZzo3Y_c

ARM is shit in all of it's implementations
The only way to make ARM not shit would be to build a not shit ARM CPU but that would jack to power consumption up to x86 levels and after that what would be the point of ARM again?

>Buy a fucking Chromebook
Stop shitting in the street

>the only way to make arm not shit is by not using it
wisdom

>high end laptop
>Qualcomm

I fail to see why anyone would want an ARM CPU for anything other than "I don't give a shit how fucking glacially slow it is, so long as it uses less than X milliwatts"

of course I also fail to see why anyone would want to run Windows.

chromebooks are worse lmao
windows supports arm recently

Basically yes
To make an ARM CPU with cores as wide as x86 is to also have a CPU that consumes nearly as much as x86 which totally defeats the purpose of using ARM for power savings so why move architectures at all?

>"ARM is better, trust me!"
"at what?"
>"uhhhhhhhhh....."

Not waiting, but definitely looking forward to watching Intel try to sue the fuck out of Qualcomm and Apple when they implement X86 emulation with only a 10% degradation in performance with an always connected 5G connection to boot.

Two week standby time, on let's say, a chromebook. 48 hour screen time in a razor thin package that weighs next to nothing with zero active cooling? I'll take five.

Everything.

Proof

It's really not, Microsoft did an excellent job at making the emulation efficient.
There's only like a 15-25% performance deficit compared to running native.

Geekbench on the Snapdragon 850 scored better than Core M while emulating x86 on Windows, and this is while consuming 1/5 the power on load.

>no standard bootloader
>even more proprietary than current laptops, need BLOBs for everything
>performance is still atom tier, emulating x86 is like using a Pentium 3

>geekbench scores
>relevant

>performance is still atom tier, emulating x86 is like using a Pentium 3
Nice NPC thinking, Intel shill.

>Geekbench is no longer relevant when AMD and ARM kick's Intel's ass in all fronts.
Another one to add to the list

I've used win10 on a raspberry, the performance drop between native and emulation is night and day

How is that proof at being better at everything?
ARM doesn't scale well at higher voltages.

Geek bench wasn't relevant ever.

If I can run a GNU+Linux system I'd buy it.

That's because the Pi uses a super low end SoC made back in 2015 and even then it's not much different from Intel's Celeron current 2018 Atom line. Snapdragon on the other hand is already up there with Intel's Core CPUs, the 8cx will no doubt compete with Intel's Quad Core CPUs while consuming a fraction of the power.

would love an ARM X220 which runs Android or Windows once the performance becomes equivalent. Will never happen, though

INTELEL COPE

>the performance drop between native and emulation is night and day
Compare to what? Windows 10 x86 on your x86 Pi?

just get an iPad bro... it's $329 and outperforms even modern i5 ultrabooks.

ARM native programs vs x86 emulated programs on the same machine

>Windows
>ARM
Ishygddt

Attached: 1560819978743.jpg (454x347, 24K)

It's ok when your trying to compare CPUs of the same arch but it means fuck all between arches
The fact that you are also trying to paint anyone who criticizes arm as an Intel shill shows how full of shit you are

It's closer to Dual Core Intels, nowhere close to their current Quad Cores.
You need the iPad Pro, which is more expensive than the majority of Windows ultrabooks.
Not to mention iShitOS.

>cope
Explain? Linus already btfoed geek bench a few years ago.

That's why I'm comparing the emulated x86 scores between the two, not ARM native vs x86 scores. Fucking brainlet.

Isnt the reason that the iPad pro "outperforms" an i5 in geekbench is because geekbench includes 4k chip rendering in the Apple CPU while ommiting the igpu on Intel CPUs?

Yeah, he btfo'ed Geekbench 2.0.

Geekbench 4.0 relies less on hardware accelerated encryption processes and more on real world tasks like video editing, photo manipulation, compiling, etc.

>on real world tasks like video editing, photo manipulation
That is hardware accelerated on ARM SoCs

>Geekbench 4.0 relies less on hardware accelerated encryption processes and more on real world tasks like video editing, photo manipulation, compiling, etc.
So it relies less on hardware acceleration by only benchmarking hardware acceleration?
What is the meaning of this?

You're being summoned to respond to

wrong. the Apple A12 outperforms those mobile i5s on most workloads, including CPU bound ones.

Sauce

Look up CHEZA Chromebook.

street shit harder ijeet

Attached: 1531584439698.png (828x1094, 154K)

so what's the performance like? is it a dynamic recompiler or is it an abstraction layer that translates .net framework applications into ARM code? because in terms of general power yeah sure an ARM processor could handle most people's x86 workloads but its the fact that practically the entire OS stack is part of the x86 platform

and that's assuming a workload that you can even run on an ARM processor with some level of overhead - once you start to get into real computationally heavy applications that have a lot of floating point math, the ARM chip is going to tap the fuck out especially with a level of abstraction on top of it

>meanwhile in the real world

Attached: 1548762508825.webm (1280x546, 2.79M)

>ARM based
>high-end

Attached: HAHAHAHAHAH.jpg (2560x3840, 2.68M)

Doesn't seem that bad to me

Attached: app-performance-100797513-large.jpg (1200x586, 81K)

Attached: night-raid-graphics-performance-100797514-large.jpg (1200x590, 87K)

>muh gookbench tier benchmarks looka at them. look how fast it can calculate the 100th number of fibonacci sequence
great, now let's see how it runs something like GTA5, even compared to that low power i5.

Attached: kraken.png (650x337, 24K)

>kraken
What does this prove?

Attached: iceStorm.png (650x337, 24K)

Which one runs arma 3 better?

Attached: 103785.png (650x425, 42K)

>unironically posting PajeetTech

Attached: 1545491451889.png (817x1337, 321K)

nice cope intel shill.

Attached: Captura de Tela 2019-07-11 às 21.40.37.png (2852x778, 248K)

ARM is blobbed to hell and back. Not to mention shitty, weird and proprietary BIOS implementations. Intel, for all its sins, did develop UEFI, which is mostly open and standards compliant.

iPad Pro trades blows with i7 and often surpasses it. You’re operating on old info.

>Qualco/\/\/\/\

>emulating x86 is like using a Pentium 3
>inplying a Pentium 3 could handle even the mere action of trying to open Photoshop
lolno

I’ll give it a try, I’ve seen the multithreaded application meme so it’s a good chance to see if micro companies will fuck it up.

Even a celeron destroys your lagPad. Street shit harder iJeet.

Should run fine if the GPU is Bifrost MP18+

thanks for reminding me to check whether pinebook pro is out.

looks like the preorders start on the 25th!

those are running rockchip CPUs which are poo

mainline kernel is a must, fuck off qualshill

>lol fuck productivity performance, what about my children's games!
Really embarasing desu

What makes you think the 8CX can't run Leenux?

>mfw intcels not only get destroyed by AMD, they also get demolished by based ARM too

Attached: 104871705-20171130-7329-2523.jpg (2000x1333, 255K)

>tripfag
>worthless opinion
shocker

>>tripfag
t. Newfag

>arm
no driver, never happening, locked like dumbphones.

vocaroo.com/i/s0EkDdSP8xuN

Attached: download.jpg (185x139, 3K)

Only idiots are waiting for this. Everybody is taking about performance, but nobody is mentioning the closed nature of ARM bootloaders. If phones are anything to go by, we'll have to pass a 12 step process just to unlock the bootloader and lose the warranty just to run a Ubuntu live CD.

thistbhfam

Attached: 1544014460991.jpg (2745x4000, 2.13M)

And this one is best:
I fucking swear, Jow Forums is lowest iq board

see

How the fuck is arm high end? What would you run????

also if phones are anything to go by once you have unlocked their bootloader you won't just be able to download a stock image of Ubuntu (or Debian or Fedora or Gentoo or whatever else) and boot it on whatever hardware you happen to have. Each model will need a different dozen blobs in order to boot and will require a special vendor-supplied kernel. That kernel will be given as a two-million-line patch to 3.16 LTS full of who the fuck knows what and its the only thing the device will ever run.

/thread

1. go on the goggle
2. download phones kernel source
3. diff it from generic
4. try port 5.2 to it
5. try not brick phone
6. install gentoo if kernel just works

Indians almost exclusively use android not iOS devices.

No.
It's not going to be "high end". It's still going to be atom-tier performance in real applications.

Attached: fuj0t7fwuc931.jpg (640x960, 61K)

cope harder

It will never happen.

I have yet to see a good performing multitasking ARM system. Also the hardware is nowhere near as generally supported (not requiring signing or some specific drivers or firmware support to even boot) as x86.

I would have killed myself right away if I was the one who recorded this... thing.