Is anyone else getting tired of modern hardware trends?

Is anyone else just tired of devices getting larger but thinner so people think they're "smaller", proprietary and non user serviceable batteries, and the massive screens of questionable durability?

I saw that Nintendo announced their Switch Lite yesterday designed entirely around portable use, but unlike their older handhelds it isn't even remotely pocketable at over 8" wide. Compared to the Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance I had growing up which still run if I throw a set of common AA batteries purchased off the shelf of any common store in them, any later handheld leaves you playing the Chinese battery roulette once the company that made it stops supporting it, and now these Switch consoles require straight up cracking the case apart if you even want to try to replace the battery yourself. Beyond that, there's a massive 5.5" screen with no visible cover to protect it, while their older handhelds had the display set into the case and covered with a transparent plastic screen to keep the display from being damaged if you dropped it on a rock or something.

Attached: 1473274315028.jpg (800x680, 98K)

stop using phones, they're fucking cancer that's designed for nothing but spying on you.

But it's not just phones. Basically every small device one would use in place of a modern smartphone has been majorly affected by these trends as well.

So don't use small devices. Use a desktop. Literally everyone got along fine doing this before ten years ago.

>Use a desktop
But that requires you to settle down in one place and dedicate space to that. That also straight up impractical for many tasks.

>Literally everyone got along fine doing this before ten years ago.
The only way you could possibly believe this is if you are underage or were raised as an Amish up until some point in the last 10 years.

>poorly-disguised /v/ thread #4080

Attached: Common-Sage1.jpg (3648x2766, 1.03M)

>discussing hardware solely from a perspective that has nothing to do with games isn't allowed because the hardware is used to play games
GPU threads are more /v/ related than this.

I've slowly warmed up to laptops, since they are more convenient for the majority of people, i still prefer the desktop but i want a laptop in case my mom evicts me

It's hard not to warm up to the idea of laptops these days. An 8 year old Thinkpad X220 would outperform my desktop in every area except the GPU, but the GPU is still powerful enough to handle any game that I play. Unless you play newer games or are one of the few using your desktop for some extremely niche purposes, you could almost certainly by with a laptop these days.

I have to buy new smartphone now
I need in it:
1 stilus
2 booting from SD card
3 USB ports in count of 3 or more
4 changable and cheap batary
5 ability to work without any battary from a power bank
6 connector for externl antenas
7 aluminium body with screwholes for external cooling propeller
8 gold plated connectors
9 no any glue, only screws
10 strong PSB with only wide lines near connetors
11 VR carboard included
12 easy replaceble screen and relable bootons, aloot of buttons all the frame around
Unless all this become avalable i gona use only cheapest phones from new noname manufacters

Attached: otkryvalka-sd7.jpg (458x458, 11K)

>i still prefer the desktop but i want a laptop in case my mom evicts me
Is she gonna steal your desktop?
>not using superior thinkpad+docking station

Youre just jaded, new small technology is perfectly repairable. Sorry the screws arent all #2 phillips heads but its still the same principle. Instead of having a pity party and feeling tired about thinga your tiny brain cant understand. Get your noggin joggin into the future

I definitely hate how everything is becoming less durable, like laptops. The "gamer" marketing is also obnoxious. Can't google "best X for Y price" in tech anymore without it being "best GAMER X for Y" coming up. Some stuff I find Jow Forums is just being autistic over though (like "flat design" or RGB lights, don't really care about that either way).

this is unironically my dream phone.

Attached: if-g-made-theiphone-thanks-everyone-based-on-for-all-your-3810912.png (500x806, 222K)

Man stuff is genuinely less durable and it's fucking obvious even to zoomers. Old laptops were built like tanks. I guess aesthetic is more important now, and I actually love things having a nice outward appearance, but they could try to strike more of a balance.

Sill waiting for laptops and smartphones to get a custom build market like desktops have. I want to build a fucking brick of a phone with enough heft to survive a drop and enough room to properly cool it under load, plus a bigger battery and maybe a physical keyboard.

I was at work and my coworkers were trying to test a dead smart phone by swapping batteries, and I realized they wheren't taking the back cover off because you literally can't do that anymore, now you have to use these suction cup things to pull the screen off or something to get to the battery. I mean sorry but that is kind of ridiculous.

>Youre just jaded, new small technology is perfectly repairable. Sorry the screws arent all #2 phillips heads but its still the same principle.
No, I've had older hardware that snapped together and screwed together get damaged when pulling it apart. Only thing that kept that hardware usable was that it was still held together by screws in the event that the case no longer snapped together due to damage. Plastic that snaps together just isn't durrable enough to withstand being disassembled and reassembled multiple times without something going wrong.

>Sill waiting for laptops and smartphones to get a custom build market like desktops have
I agree with wanting the possibility of custom builds for phones, but why laptops? Laptops are already quite customizable as is and there's a lot less stuff I can even think of wanting to customize on a computer these days with how much stuff has been integrated. A Thinkpad has all the customizability I can imagine needing in a laptop.

>but why laptops
I really just prefer different form factors to what's popular today. ai literally would never ever consider buying a laptop under 17" diagonal or at least an inch and a half thick. If they had drop-in parts for a variety of cases that'd be great. As it is you can only change out cards and stuff with non-standard mobos and often soldered sockets. If they want to keep the screen resolution the same for 20 years then let me upgrade the rest without replacing the whole machine.

bump

man i always dreamt about shit like this as a kid and that they probably existed. then we got internet and couldnt find one in the world