*glob* *glob* *glob* *glob* *glob*

*glob* *glob* *glob* *glob* *glob*

Attached: glob glob.jpg (1920x1080, 135K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/vpgMn88Qfjs
epoxies.com/heat-sink-bonding-epoxy-adhesive/
youtube.com/watch?v=nNFq5NurKIY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What the actual fuck?

A relic of a by-gone era. Does anyone still do these builds anymore?

DUDE

POT

fuck anyone who does this

*blob* *blob* *blob* *blob* *blob* *blob*

Attached: blacked.jpg (958x381, 35K)

Epoxy build?

BLAGGED :--DDDDD

Attached: 1561948182970.jpg (267x200, 6K)

Lets hope someone don't invent potting that is good at carrying heat, or companies like apple will just fucking fill their devices.

Then, later Louis Rossmann will use Paul to remove compound, because lead-free solder is shit and gave a crack-a

Fuck. I hate that shit. Assholes.

Never seen that before, at least not to the level of filling the entire case. Isn't this really fucking stupid considering thermals?

>thermals
Not everything is that sensitive to thermals.

Why?

*bleb* *bleb* *bleb* *bleb* *bleb*

Attached: bleed.jpg (500x500, 24K)

Yeah but even so what's the point? Is the sole point really to fuck over the end user servicing it if something breaks? Cause that's the only reason I could see.

The why is obvious. It's the same as always. They're assholes.

>2019
>not potting all your hds to keep CIA out

Attached: pcb-potting-resin-500x500.jpg (500x500, 51K)

Just additional step to piss people off.

Attached: pss_unpot2.jpg (746x460, 75K)

So the Chinese will have more issues stealing your design.

Reading this thread its pretty clear Jow Forums doesn't know what potting is.
This is pathetic.
>it's to screw over user servicing
Yes it's for reducing user insight into the hardware. That's what potting has always been for. Some argue physical protection but that's BS.

You pour resin on platters, dumbass.

Yeah, the Chinese are having trouble with this LOL.

>Yes it's for reducing user insight into the hardware
Never seen it to that extent before, parts of a board sure but not the entire thing. Is that actually effective enough to be worth the added step of expoxying the entire thing?

Yo listen up, Heres the *glop* story about a *glop* *glop* little guy *glop* *glop* lives in a blue *glop* *glop* *glop* *glop* *glop*

Attached: im blue.jpg (474x355, 14K)

Any tips on removing potting compounds?

They wouldn't have potted the Apollo Guidance Computers in order to make them non-serviceable. Clearly it has other uses.

I've seen plenty of potting like this but never for consumer goods like that. It's mostly industry stuff.
It's not super common still.

Potting protects the circuit against the elements, so it makes sense to do it to shit that will be used outside a house or in space.

fuming nitric acid.

Literally every car ecu is potted

*aaay* *lmao* *lmao* *lmao* *lmao* *lmao*

Attached: grey.jpg (600x600, 33K)

>protect board from dust,humidity,water, heat
>omg lol removing my right to repair even though i don't know how to solder a smd cap

Sure for that kind of use it makes sense. Maybe. It's isolating for sure. But for consumer goods conformal coating does the same thing effectively. I'm not sure why you'd really feel the need to do potting on spaceships by contrast. It might just be excess for the sake of not having a failure in the coating.

Attached: promo-201.jpg (640x454, 346K)

Don't buy products with potting compounds.

Good for waterproofing but no repairs for you...

In "old school" devices this was okay, because the components were reliable.

But in the modern times, things get bad very quickly, making the device very "proprietary", no copies and no repairs. This could make alot of companies lots of money. Since you need to buy a new board/device.

>A nightmare inducer...

Attached: Recovered_png_file(13593).png (173x231, 12K)

the automotive industry

this is how ECUs and other modules are protected from dust and vibration, though they tend to use clear resin so you can see if components have failed.

I want to ask, but I'm afraid my boner won't contain it.

>Jow Forums doesn't realise so much shit has been potted already
>transformer on a board has been potted
>thinks it's a bad thing

Thank you for your "highly valued" input bootlicker #2358973

>I'm not sure why you'd really feel the need to do potting on spaceships by contrast

because the massive temperature gradients and solar radiation in space can cause electronic component failure, and the resin adds a layer of protection.

It's not bootlicking while it have a reason to do so.
But i can bet my bottom dollar that is apple starts potting their shit, people will defend it.

There's also the physical reinforcement aspect, a big clump of resin is much less sensitive to vibrations and impacts than a bunch of components on a circuit board.

Yeah but I would imagine the electronics aren't directly on the exterior. Maybe there's something where that's the case. But I've only seen memory models potted.

I obviously haven't measured this but with conformal coating I would say that's enough.

For consumer devices potting is complete and utter bullshit. But I can guarantee you once Apple starts doing this, and they will, some retards will actually defend it on this board.

it's funny because until the '70s and '80s electronic components in cars (esp. cheap american shitboxes) were often not potted and they failed all the time. no SMD construction either, it was al lthroguh-board with MASSIVE fat traces to cope with the temperature differentials.

fucking GM ECUs from the '80s look like home-made computers from the '60s.

there could be a situation where the environment control system fails and the interior of the ship is exposed to vacuum. you wouldn't want critical systems to suddenly stop working then.

as expected of phoneposters.

On a big clump of resin everything is tied together, so a decent impact on the sides will snap the SMDs off the board with ease.

Fucking plebs

youtu.be/vpgMn88Qfjs

Conformal coating is just that, a coating. It doesn't really add physical reinforcement, especially not to tall components that stick way off the board.

You'd also have to rip the resin straight off the board, that shit sticks to everything.

I honestly don't think they planned for that. That's just movie nonsense.

At least the anime thing will come to laugh at it.
And the worst part is that i was looking, and there IS such a thing as a "high conductive epoxy" like:
epoxies.com/heat-sink-bonding-epoxy-adhesive/

inb4 Apple uses conductive epoxy that extends significantly if it gets hot.

> for bonding heat sinks
Not the same thing, this is just thermal paste with glue, it probably has high capacitance and electrical conductivity too, so not good for a whole PCB.

Yeah, i was thinking on it.
But they probably can get away with actual heatpipes.
Or most importantly, THINK they can get away with heatpipes.

We do this to some of our product. It's for protection against shocks, g-loads, and moisture. Our product needs it a bit more than these things, since by volume it's more circuit element than PCB.
That blue crap stains horribly by the way.

How long do you take to lose the "oh shit they're dropping liquid on a the circuit" feel?

Does that ever really go away?

I have no clue, which is why i was asking him that probably see this shit happening.

Wouldn't that destroy like everything else as well? Metal component parts in particular.

Instantly.
I mean, this stuff clearly isn't water.

It's still weird as shit.

Attached: wrhiir.jpg (1280x720, 120K)

Attached: LT-6917_Circuit_Board_Protection_CT_02-18_A4_Folder_Links_Elect_Potting.jpg (480x365, 55K)

I get it, it's funny because it renders everything it touches unusable and worthless, just like blacks do

Attached: IMG_20190712_123248.jpg (88x104, 5K)

And then, suddenly, for no reason at all everyone voted Hitler into power

No escape Mr.cap

Why not just make exploding cases so that if anyone starts thinking "oh this gleat I rike it. Must take erectlocs home and makey copy", soon as they open the case it explodes and blows their balls off

Oh no,it's the blue wave!

Attached: 620469-global-smt-pac-1024x672.jpg (1024x672, 92K)

In electronics, potting is a process of filling a complete electronic assembly with a solid or gelatinous compound for resistance to shock and vibration, and for exclusion of moisture and corrosive agents. Thermosetting plastics or silicone rubber gels are often used, though epoxy resins are also very common.

a blow torch and some matches

Stopping commies from reverse-engineering those chips if they get to them somehow.

Based globposter

*WHEEEE* *PLRLUP* *WHEEEE* *PLRLUP* *WHEEEE* *PLRLUP* *WHEEEE* *PLRLUP*

Attached: multi glob.jpg (1024x664, 95K)

A good reason to do this is over memory chips or any kind of storage , as a tamper seal. Prevents fucking around with the memory and even if someone managed to strip the epoxy away and poke at the chips it would be evident that they did.

Attached: cato.jpg (383x374, 21K)

that gato still lost his ears though

Capacitors are potted all the time.

Attached: index.jpg (2048x1536, 258K)

THIS.
It bothers me that it is tilted.

Attached: 1355510399817.jpg (400x611, 37K)

>do i bend it back, putting strain on the leads, or do i leave it in it's original position, where it's known to work

Attached: 1499969607230.png (500x430, 85K)

underrated post

Attached: 1420953972393.jpg (1920x1080, 206K)

>Audio password to disarm device "liliputian"
> reh ruh pu-
> BOOM
> no hard feelings zergling

Attached: KOOLN_large.jpg (480x379, 23K)

Does that look like typical consumer hardware? It slightly resembles a computer board so it's automatically for a hobbiest in his basement? How do you know these chips aren't being placed in oscillating type machines, drilling or hammering machinery or other heavy duty uses like aircraft controllers?

it he had goop on his ears he would still have them

based goop

Attached: ciggy.jpg (580x580, 38K)

In this case I can genuinely imagine this to reduce transformer buzzing

>I'm not sure why you'd really feel the need to do potting on spaceships by contrast
Ok go tell NASA engineers they're stupid and could've reached the Moon faster without the excess mass of potted electronics.

No they're not, unless you don't know what you're looking at inside there?

I wonder if this shit can cover capacitor whine.

and for hiding your shitty parts, part numbers, shitty soldering

anyone who needs electronics that work with harsh vibration, condensation and/or in a potentially explosive environment

looks like cum.

It's understandable, but also if something dies then it's straight into the bin even if it is a simple component to replace.

After it gets gooped, it will stay bent forever

How well does this prevent whiskers and other such problems?

Tin whiskers?
Apparently it IS one of the ways you stop it.

youtube.com/watch?v=nNFq5NurKIY

Am I the only one who finds tidy or new or restored PCBs somehow sexy and having this stuff poured on top is highly satisfying too?

>open up 25 year old car ecu
>perfectly preserved, pristine, shiny components and board, not so much as a fingerprint to be seen

Attached: 1548380229389.jpg (396x286, 22K)

Tons and tons of LED lightbulbs are filled with potting compound.