So I installed Debian Buster with plasma KDE on my new old thinkpad. It works and is quite good...

so I installed Debian Buster with plasma KDE on my new old thinkpad. It works and is quite good. But it seems like KDE is too heavy on CPU compared to windows 10.
With win10 power saving mode battery shows up to 10 hours. With linux though only 6 hours. What should I do? Could switching to i3-gaps theoretically fix it?

Attached: debian-logo-1.jpg (590x332, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=104149
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Switch to xfce or mate , i3-gaps is shitload of config and I you're newbie to linux you won't handle it.

Install TLP and check if you can get some tweaks out of it.

Debian isn't meant to be used for desktops and laptops. It's really only good for servers.

If you can handle the autism dwm will make your machine go a bit faster.

thanks fren
can you support your claim. It is called universal operating system
i will check this out

Install powertop
Powertop - - auto-tune
Profit

Well KDE is known to be pretty heavy on resources

Maybe something more lightweight than stable?

I'm using Debian on a laptop right now.

Use xfce. i3 needs some time to configure which can be a bit much if you're new to loonix, but it's much lighter than a de. I think awesomewm is even lighter on resources but don't take my work for it.

Try TLP for sure.
KDE idles around 1% CPU, should be less or the same as Windows.

Disable the compositor. I just do that and make config file for the intel gpu.
forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=104149

Also install thermald, sensord, fancontrol.

Yeah the compositor only increases input lag and slows down the performance, only worth for real when one needs vsync.

You aren't meant to be posting on Jow Forums. You are really only good for r*ddit.

Attached: FB_IMG_1559054007451.jpg (720x720, 71K)

kde is just xfce but polished and features bloat
use gnome like torvalds, it just works

>use gnome
I am sorry, but unlike some other people, I have standards. I did like Unity though.

It's Linux power management that's at fault. Anyone telling you that they get better battery life in Linux compared to Windows, or MacOS, is lying to you.

>like distro
>kde too heavy
sounds like you want gnome.

>the logo is a pube
lmao

Edit grub parameters
mitigations=off noibrs nopti nospec
Cpu vulns are a meme. There had never been an exploit in the wild amd there never will be now that they are patched by default. Enjoy your full cpu speed.

>FB_IMG_1559054007451.jpg

lol

JWM

You are retarded.

That's not how it works. It's the DE that slows it down.

>xfce
XFCE is a DE.

Imagine being this new

KDE GUI is shit. Use KDE apps in a light WM like JWM.

Bloated KDE fanboys btfo.

Window managers all day.

Depends on the hardware support for your setup Obviously a machine build for a certain OS only will work better with that OS