Legitimate question, what the fuck happened to this language?

Legitimate question, what the fuck happened to this language?

It was the go-to meme'd language. It was the Python of the mid 90's to idk say 2005.

What happened? Not so much the meme juice ran out, but what features (of say python) made it pointless? Surely it's not down to syntax, primarily? Or perhaps it is.

Attached: header_camel.png (259x374, 89K)

Other urls found in this thread:

joelonsoftware.com/2000/04/06/things-you-should-never-do-part-i/
docs.perl6.org/language/concurrency
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

hype curve downturn and return to mean. Its useful for compiler prototyping and generating correct code, so long as you aren't trying to do concurrency. Example of compiler prototyping: Rust compiler was written in ocaml first until it could become self hosted. Example of correct single threaded code: Jane street uses it for transactions. If you're moving a lot of money per iteration of a loop, that loop better be correct. Basically since it didn't try to be a "I can do anything" language people only use it for what its good at.

when I was 15 (2001-ish) this was the language to learn. this was like the cool thing to learn to do cool shit for msn chat. before i even knew anything about systems or hardware.

perl6 sabotage cutout new users

I'm a fucking retard. I saw the camel and I thought you were talking about OCaml.

OCaml is still around, and I like it a lot. It does have a lot of problems that have prevented me from actually using it (even have had to go as far as to completely scrap a ~1k LoC project). The libraries for it are not well designed usually

ML and OCaml are very close cousins anyways

He's talking about perl though

based oldfag dropping knowledge

Perl 6. They decided to rewrite everything from scratch. You don't do that.

joelonsoftware.com/2000/04/06/things-you-should-never-do-part-i/

isn't f# the succesor to ocaml?

Where can I read more about compiler prototyping?

it sabotage

Some theories:
1. It was efficiently killed using Perl6.
2. It lost too much ground to PHP, Python and Ruby.
3. Nearly toward the end CPAN was not sustainable and the whole thing imploded.
4. Turns out you need worthwile software to maintain to keep a language alive and Perl isn't the language to write worthwile software in. Any scriptshit could go missing and it wouldn't make a dent.
5. Most programmers probably just forgot it one month after last usage.

Attached: bee_yourself.jpg (960x925, 217K)

Are you referring to Perl (or Perl 5), user? If so, I honestly would like to read more on its use for compiler prototyping and code generation.

Perl 5 is still actively developed and have more users and code written in than Raku could ever aspired to. Don't get me wrong; I like Raku but that's the truth of the matter. Raku isn't a drop-in replacement for Perl 5; they are two different languages, albeit from the same family of programming languages.

As for OP's question about what happened, things face out. New languages come in which are easier to read, although less powerful and versatile. And Perl (and Raku) has a quite different philosophy to those languages.

> Perl 6. They decided to rewrite everything from scratch. You don't do that.

Perl's popularity was in declined even before Raku's first stable version was released. Thus, blaming everything on Raku and the community is a only a cope out.

This isn't even a sentence.

Semi-sad to see it slide away, my family went to church with the creator and he was a great guy

This isn't even a sentence.

Does any of Perl6 implementations support parallel computing? Or does it have GIL too?

this is correct

The only actively developed implementation (Rakudo) of the language has support for parallelism and concurrency [1]. However, I don't think myself the most apt person to answer any question related to it. Thus, I advise you to hang around #perl6 irc and ask any question you might have. Don't hesitate since people there are nice and extremely helpful.

[1] docs.perl6.org/language/concurrency

You're talking about larry wall right? He always seemed like such a cool dude in interviews and it really irritates me that perl isn't more popular. I once took a shitty software engineering course with like 200 people and they asked us what our favorite programming language was. I was the only one to say perl.

Have you tried reading other people's code? Like in the wild? Some of it is great, but there is Perl 5 code out there that was written by people like me and it's awful.

I'm talking about ocaml, whose logo is also a camel. I fucked up