I have a laptop from 1997

It runs windows 98 has 80mb of ram and a pentium ii. Tge battery still works.Whats the coolest thing i could do with it? Is there any linux i can run on it?

Attached: IMG_20190712_110757.jpg (4608x3456, 3.92M)

Other urls found in this thread:

virtuallyfun.com/wordpress/2014/03/11/web-rendering-proxy-update/
youtube.com/watch?v=Bgsf5uy2PFw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

install damn small linux or slackware

keep Win98 and run ancient gayms natively

I love this Windows classic wallpaper.

I cant get it to work properly, the kernel wont load or something

I can only think of vidya honestly, most web pages aren't going to load obviously so I guess you could use it for watching movies or listening to music but that would seem pointless and not a good use of it.

trash it
you can buy much better laptops nowadays for dirt cheap

no linux you could run on it would give you any more functionality than Windows 98 or 98SE

I just want it to be able to brows Jow Forums

That's probably going to work then.

>wallpaper
its just a solid colour, or should be, any variation in that colour is due to defects with the screen

Play toehoe 1-5

I have that same laptop no joke.

The toshiba satellite 220cds? Post pics

Nope, it does a memory test every time it starts. it came with 80 from the garage sale i stole it from. They wanted $50 for it and they were gonna use the money for a mission trip to africa. Fuck that shit. I did the world a favor by keeping $50 worth of food away from nigglets

>stole
give it back, tyrone

That was like 4 years ago.

>Install a source based distro like Gentoo or Slackware
>Install netsurf
>???
>Profit

give it back, tyrone

The Satellites are legit. Replace the missing clit, clean (or remove) the rubber from the mouse buttons if they're disgusting which they likely are, then you've got a great, compact 90's machine with an easily accessible HDD and a Yamaha sound chip.

I think this is beyond you, OP.

You need an older, possibly deprecated version of said OS.

Like an earlier poster said, Slackware, an old version. But it's not an easy job unless you know what you're doing.

Was the display that bad originally, or is it somewhat broken?

It was, most lcds from the 90s sucked

This may be controversial but I'd gut it, rehouse more modern hardware in it, then rice it all to hell. At the very least replace the broken LCD.

it won't be good for movies at all, it will be barely good for music. this machine will be barely usable for office work and network unless you install extremely vintage and outdated software

congrats on your retro game/demoscene machine though

Use FreeDOS and be a god.

install netbsd

tinyCore would work on it

Let me dig it out, I have no idea where I put it but I DEFINITELY have that.

I actually can't be arsed to dig it out right now but I definitely have one. Might post it here another day

does it have SCSI? you could do some fun stuff with that

virtuallyfun.com/wordpress/2014/03/11/web-rendering-proxy-update/
Make sure to remove the internal clock batteries, they leak and will destroy the mainboard.

Hell fucking yeah dude I had a t2100ct in high school (~06-08) that unfortunately vanished but I kept my weed and smokes in the battery bay during school bc the original didn't hold a charge so I took it out haha
you snap up the clips (green) then the whole palmrest panel in red lifts up like a lid and there's the battery bay
Win95 with 8MB of memory was painful but at least I could browse some sites with my wavelan card
no proper sound card blew ass too and the 50mhz dx2 meant a lot of watching the screen paint
I loved it nonetheless

Attached: Screenshot_20190712-190738_Gallery.jpg (1440x2960, 1.01M)

If it has a 64 bit processor, install templeOS in it

>kept my weed and smokes in the battery bay during school
Based and reefer-pilled

>damn small linux
dead, buried, decomposed

Why do you post this in every thread, and what do you think it'll accomplish?

Just load it up with hella dos games

t. just got a 1995 Thinkpad up and running

Attached: 64268062_2370701769664282_3102767276089147392_n.jpg (1152x2048, 244K)

Get KernelEx and you can run Firefox 3.6 which loads Jow Forums fine

>gentoo
>computer turns to dust from entropy before the kernel finishes compiling

Attached: 1530080529147.jpg (530x530, 68K)

install tiny core you nigger

Attached: 1562428501170_0.jpg (1008x720, 67K)

here

I'm planning on removing the internals and seeing if I can put a modern laptop motherboard inside, since there's so much fucking room. There's also a 1450x1080 panel from a newer Thinkpad that is the same size as this stock one

Although I wonder if it would be sacrilege or not, but whipping it out in public and being able to boot Windows 10 on it would be pretty hilarious

Attached: Capture.png (720x1219, 873K)

That is stupid, good luck I guess.

>Using old hardware

Attached: lgr.gif (800x371, 123K)

go be degenerate somewhere else

i want to install my tiny core in lain
i can smell the onions from here

no

Attached: aesthetic_70b30cabf96d98642cfdcf8d820ec198.jpg (500x500, 106K)

See if it can run Daggerfall. It will be the Daggerfall machine.

Install Windows XP!

requires a minimum of 64MB of RAM, it will not run well, but 80 MB of RAM will work.

Then install the D+ Browser (based on the extreme lightweight Dillo web browser on linux)

If you don't want Windows, then I agree Tinycore is your best bet.

Toss it at your enemies and kill them.

Attached: EhQ5qtj.jpg (900x1200, 191K)

Will D+ run on windows 98?

Oh! I don't know, I'm going to try right now in a Virtual machine.

Windows 98 is probably the best option for the hardware.

Upgrade the ram and install kernelex.

youtube.com/watch?v=Bgsf5uy2PFw

Get a non-SMP kernel

Use nLite to debloat it.

>If it has a 64 bit processor
t. zoomer

>radioactive fortune cookie

Whats a good pcmcia wifi card for win98?

Hey! I tested D+ (D Plus Browser) on Windows 98 SE and it works!

It's a little flaky, but it appears to be working.

Attached: Capture.png (636x480, 30K)

ORiNOCO

i wasn't even born then haha

>sixty posts in
>no install Gentoo
Truly this is the end of Jow Forums
Also install gentoo

I had an old compaq laptop with a cyrix cpu and 96mb of ram. It could run damn small linux fully within a ramdisk.

install gentoo

Does it handle modern SSL connections?
I dont really care about how it renders shit or does scripts, but a lot of sites just arbitrarily won't load because old ass firefox versions don't support the SSL versions modern sites are running

The fact is even for tinycore or gentoo the kernel just doesn't support most of this old ass hardware, and even if it does projects like xorg have left the hardware behind years ago.

Mine still has a working battery. It runs for about an hour or so

What's going on with the screen in the bottom left corner?

based and redpilled

Beat Myst w o cheating

Common old toshiba problem, the ribbon cable needs to be adjusted. The problem is that the plastic is so old its crumbling. I already broke the pc card door and the hdd bay cover because they were so fragile. I dont want to break it permanently, 90s laptops are rare as hens teeth so i just live with it

I felt kinda bad since i lifted it from a church but since i found out where the money was gonna go i didnt care anymore

Nobody plans a trip to Africa relying on the big monies they will make from selling grandpa's jock straps at a garage sale. You're a liar and you're lying for acceptance, jelly nuts.

This makes you sound either pathethic or 14 years old, why tell this story? Where you actually proud you stole garbage?
>nigglets
Do you know how hypocritical this sounds from someone who stole from a church garage sale?

Attached: 1562954901003.jpg (378x368, 22K)

Where can I get replacements for that

Speaking of, in general, is it possible to get replacement screens? 20 year old LCDs from the 90s are unbearable

How bad of an idea would it be to connect a win98 laptop to the internet?

I was 14 when i stole it
NoIf you can even do it its gonna be slow as fuck

If you're just doing it so you can get drivers easier it's fine but don't expect a tolerable experience for any form of media consumption.

it's literally "stop liking what I don't like/understand" autist tantrum shit

Attached: worf_rage.gif (356x321, 1.07M)

Nothing will happen if you're behind your routers firewall
Almost all web browsers on 98 are so outdated by now that they won't even load most pages, the exception is firefox with kernelex

Attached: xpme.png (1024x768, 96K)

Install a display driver so you have more than 16 colors or whatever and you'll be solid.

Install NetBSD on it. Linux is generally too unoptimized to do anything useful on hardware of that vintage these days.
You can offload the compiling to a desktop on your network you know.

That probably didn't come with 98, use
Windows 95, or dos+win3.11. Search for drivers first or manufacture restore media would be better.

Damn dude that's pretty good for such an old battery. Was it recelled at any point?

No idea. My 1982 trs80 model 100 runs on AA batteries.

I'd run Win98 and see if you can make it a portable retro gaming machine.

Install Netscape. God I miss those days.

I have the 420CDT. I use it for my 1999 Serial ODB-II reader. Works great for my >2001 cars.

i recently paid $30 for a toshiba satellite
mine's a bit newer, though

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (474x355, 28K)

410CDT here. Love that it has an internal power supply. Maxed out the RAM at 48 MB.

>Arbeitsplatz
Mein Schwarzafrikaner!

Attached: Win98_PCEM_sup_vr.png (1024x768, 73K)

>Oni
>Battle for Naboo
fuckin' memories, man

doesnt work on this old Toshiba machine

the only acceptable OS:es are:
Microsoft DOS 6.2
PCDOS 6.3
Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows NT
Windows 2000 (the RAM is quite small for this but it will still work somehow)

anyone else always mistake the episode 1 racer icon for a fish bowl?

x86 was so garbage that there weren't 64-bit processors of it until the early 2000s. They really lagged behind.

Itanium was supposed to be the future.