What was the point of this thing?

What was the point of this thing?

Attached: 152DA21F-F3A5-4EA3-A9C7-C86524897986.jpg (740x550, 90K)

Other urls found in this thread:

flickr.com/photos/tonykaku/39188429975/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>we havu a shitto tonnu of yen, lettsu go wirudu

at the time no one knew what the future would look like. so they tried to make a glorious future but the people rejected their offering and gave us the smudgy shit present we have today

posting on the bst thread

the point was to have a real portable computer and not a gimped piece of shit smartphone or tablet that tries to do everything horribly via slapping fingers on display.

I bet I can type faster with a swype keyboard or whatever it's called on a tablet than most people could using this vaio thing

Depends on your use case.
Remember that this pre-dates usable smartphones.

>not a gimped piece of shit
well they failed at that since it was slow as shit when it came out, and the keyboard is unusable

They figured it was the next step forward, but wasn't. Same thing with netbooks.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 141K)

desu future defined by the iphone is grim

>bought a phablet
>use it in landscape mode 95% of the time anyway
I was born in the wrong timeline.

>What was the point of this thing?
cruise Jow Forums while on the loo

The Panasonic CF-U1 was way better.

If anyone is looking for a modern revival of this sort of thing, GPD MicroPC is pretty good, got mine late last month, you need nomodeset to get linux on it otherwise the install disk boots with a black screen but after that if you install kernel 5.x it works fine without nomodeset.

Pic related is 6 inches

Attached: micropc.png (1097x877, 1.34M)

Portable hacking machine of the past

Hello brother

Attached: muhgpd2.jpg (1920x1280, 407K)

It's a handheld portable computer:
It's meant to be a computer, that you can take around with you, and it fits in your hands.

Also what TPD setting are you on? I'm using 6w with fan off most of the time and the performance under Linux is absolutely amazing (with about 6-8 hours of battery life).

Lol, i don't know much about the hardware side of things, didn't even know about TDP. Just checked, I'm on 10W. Performance + battery life is good here too, I leave the fan on all the time because I haven't found a reason to turn it off yet, wouldn't know much about battery life since I power mine down completely whenever I'm not using it, but I do know that in doing so, it consistently lasts me all day and only gets down to around 40% at the lowest.

That's what they came up with before tablets.

touchscreen was a novelty

I wanted one so bad. Finally got over the 2500 dollar price tag and showed up at Fry's money in hand. Bitches were sold out. I never got around to trying again

This thing was glorious nippon engineering.

Sony ad in James Bond movie?

>the people rejected their offering
Yeah but it's also about timing, these days if some blue hair tranny put this on kickstarter I'm sure the onions boy will throw money at it.

Do you mind posting that wallpaper?

Attached: 1549426130775.jpg (1199x1028, 227K)

To be a portable handheld computer. I just threw XP on mine yesterday, it's great for SimCity 4

>Same thing with netbooks.
Netbooks are still a thing though.

instead they tried to give us a gimped piece of shit netbook that tries to do desktop work horribly with thumb keyboards and tiny high DPI displays

killing palm was our greatest mistake

The keyboard's awful but it's better than resistive touch with your thumbs or a stylus. If it had a BlackBerry keyboard it'd be incredible

flickr.com/photos/tonykaku/39188429975/

Attached: 39188429975_f79ceb3c7f_o.jpg (2560x1440, 2.23M)

Sony’s designs are GOAT.

Cute

you mind if I save this picture?

>killing palm was our greatest mistake
Yes. I still have my Palm Pilot. And the spuds in HP that murdered Palm Pre destroyed the future.

Noticed how many in here that want real keyboards. And nobody cares about such wishes. those who decide all want to be the next Steve Jobs, telling people what it is that they should want.

Save it, it's all yours my friend :-)

No, how dare you!

Attached: muhgpd1.jpg (1920x1280, 423K)

I think netbooks done their job I used one in the time tablets were horribly expensive business toys.

palmtops are literally the biggest sign of autism for losers who even fail at IT and want to pretend they're in "the future" and are only used to make casual tasks psuedo-complicated by the shitty small unusable on purpose keyboard, just use a regular laptop

well, this was 2006-7 so smartphones were not a thing

Attached: post 2 bloy lonelyboi.jpg (125x82, 2K)