Between Vim, Sublime Text and VScode, which one do you consider the best?

Between Vim, Sublime Text and VScode, which one do you consider the best?

Attached: image10.png (1006x720, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ixirc.com/?q=sublime text
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Sublime Text

GNU Emacs.

GNU Emacs

vim or nano

Vim for text editing / editing config files / basic code

VS Code for more IDE-like features for large projects.

Jetbrains / Eclipse / Visual Studio for large commercial projects

It's all about what you're doing

Ed. It is the standard text editor.

vim for editing text
vscode as an IDE replacement
Too bad even vscodium is botnet (most of the popular and good extensions have EULAS with clearly stated "it's not free as in freedom and we collect all the data we can"). Also it's electron shit and does wayyyy to much shady stuff in the background).
basically this

FPBP

VS and Atom and others have more features out of the box, but Sublime is the comfiest.

Fuck emacs. Bloated piece of shit doesn't even know what its own purpose is. Violates the UNIX philosophy in every way. A text editor should EDIT TEXT nothing else holy shit why does it do email and tetris and all that bullshit

>GNU emacs
>gnu stands for gnu's not unix
>u-unix philosphy
Cringed and bluepilled

mcedit for text editing
VS Code for the rest. Also, block network access through namespaces if you’re that concerned about botnet.

redpill me on Emacs, why should I switch to it from Vim?
>autocomplete is already great
>netrw does its job
>am the only one not using vs/code on my job as my productivity is high enough
what can I expect from Enacs which I might be missing right now?

C-x C-c out of here, pal, and buy a computer that can handle the power of GNU Emacs.

>what can I expect from Enacs which I might be missing right now?
tetris

This. I have been trying to move away from using Geany as my primary IDE even though it works fine. Often I work on projects on my server though sshfs- Emacs is SO. FUCKING. SLOW. Geany is much faster for remote files. It's ridiculous that there are games and a fucking web browser in it. I can't imagine why someone would use Emacs unless you want to be in an environment where you just one use one program that can do everything poorly.

So, I started using vim and it seems to work well, but I can tell I will need to get extensions for autocomplete, function parameter listing (when I start typing a function I want a box telling me what the types of parameters are), a sidebar allowing me to easily switch between files rather than opening files in 20 different terminals.

If anyone has suggestions on extensions or other IDEs to use than Geany I'd be very interested. I program mostly in C working on large open source projects- vim seems very popular for good reasons but I'm not sure where to start with the extensions that I will need to match the functionality of universal text editing tools like Geany.

lmfao

I use both vim and vscode daily

if you dont play tetris, you're a no-coder

Could I use VSCode + Firefox with a Raspberry Pi 4?

Sublime + Lynx more likely

vim
vscode
sublime

in that order

nobody ever talks about geany

Attached: file.png (1200x1200, 240K)

Best for what? They are all great in their own way.

I love Geany and it's what I mostly use- the question is are other options better?

vscod(e|dium) is botnet

Attached: bigladdefault.jpg (1280x720, 102K)

vim for occasional quick edits, atom for larger projects

Vim for small file shit.
Vscode with Vim plugin for development.

Attached: crying.jpg (800x450, 153K)

How do I set up vim for Python? I just want to make and edit some scripts I have but still have autocomplete, syntax highlighting, etc.

doom-emacs.

What makes VIM good exactly?

I just went back to sublime from Atom because Atom is electron bloatware that muh laptop cannot handle.
"cannot handle" meaning it's takes up half the RAM my 20-tab chrome browsing sesh does, and it takes 5 seconds for the application to be responsive after I haven't used it for a while.

Absolutely degenerate.

All of them suck. What's wrong with you?

hurr durr

kys

Use TRAMP, nigger

>hurr durr worse is better
Have fun with your boilerplate suckmore apps lmao.

do you want to edit a config file or write entire programs in a comfy customizable development environment? If you don't want to play tetris in your editor just don't lol.

emacs.

If you want something more modern you can also use spacemacs.

PhpStorm

Sublime is snappiest and most useful for generic editing
VS code for ease of project development

micro if it wasn't shit :(

>Emacs
aka
>I eat donkeys shit for breakfast, how did you know?

That would be Vim

Kakoune

Attached: 1549662298602.png (262x262, 38K)

do you guys pay for sublime?

Atom will literally fuck you over. It crashes randomly and all your progress is LOST. Either go with Sublime or stay with your IDE.

Vi

Emacs

Atom is best. Everything else is for manchildren.

At my job I often have to open and search through logfiles that are hundreds of megabytes large and vim seems to be the only editor that can do that. Everything else freezes.

micro

sshfs is slow user.

>universal text editing
>can't rename files by editing the output of ls
That's some weak text editing

Question for each of these: How can I make it so that syntax highlighting is kept, but different variables have different contrasting colors?
I want to be able to find variables at a glance by having them color-coded, while still retaining the general syntax highlighting.

Emacs with VLF works on multi TB files

No.

Kate

I do a lot of embedded systems programming and I hate the proprietary garbage that is Keil and IAR so I turned VIM into the perfect editor for that specific type of programming. For most other big projects I use some IntelliJ IDE. It might be a little bloated and slow sometimes but if you have a nice computer you hardly feel it and it can be extremely helpful

Mousepad for everything
Does everything I need it to, no more, no less.
Geany is #2
>vs
faggots
Nobody here pays for anything

Man that's fucking retarded when you have fucking VScode in the list.
Besides that, all the editors in the list are basically VMs at this point. At least Emacs is unashamed about it and decides to leverage it to its advantage.
>A text editor should EDIT TEXT
It does. Everything happens in text buffers. Lots of power.

vscode with vim keybindings for most projects except large java apps

Attached: 1553102368446.jpg (1280x720, 70K)

Vim for IDE, editing
Emacs for testing the stupid code my company produces because they're GNU to hell.

The thing is, it's not really about generally being the best. It's about being the best for a particular situation.

So vim is the best terminal mode editor. Sublime is the best desktop editor. And VScode is the best toy IDE.

The editing mainly. It's also highly customisable.

4coder

Sublime text

The concept is interesting. I think I might be too deep into vim to see an advantage in switching. Might be a good rec for people who've never tried vim though

emacs

different question:
If I MASTER it, what is the best editor at skill cap?
It's an emotional thing, I'm a fucking chuuni

>Violates the UNIX philosophy
Spoken like a true tryhard.

I remember people here hyping up kakoune, what happened?

*VSCodium

Emacs+evil by far

t. vim user

oh shit, this project is still alive

Integrating your whole workflow into a single programm that's not that big of a crutch compared to tmux and the like

Neovim in terminal
VSCode as dedicated text editor

Seems fun but how in the fuck is it productive.

>It is the standard text editor.
Correct

Why isnt Atom good?

Laggy

>Too bad even vscodium is botnet
What parts of it collect usage data? I can only think of online features. Searching for an extension will send your query to a server, because otherwise every user would need their own database of extensions and have to update it constantly.
>most of the popular and good extensions have EULAS with clearly stated "it's not free as in freedom and we collect all the data we can")
Such as? Those extensions may or may not be needed depending on your requirements.
>it's electron shit and does wayyyy to much shady stuff in the background
What shady stuff does VSCodium do on the background?

Stallman never advocated for the UNIX philosophy.
It would probably be too slow.

ill leave this here
ixirc.com/?q=sublime text

Don't quote me on that because I'm going on from my memory, maybe I'll look it up when I get back home and post some actual sources.
>What parts of it collect usage data?
None that I know about, vanilla w/o extensions should be fine.
>Such as? Those extensions may or may not be needed depending on your requirements.
I'd like a decent autocomplete and debugger for c++ (and several other languages). The best rated extension which supports gcc is made by (((microsoft))) and made me uninstall vscodium. I admit, I didn't bother looking for alternatives.
>What shady stuff does VSCodium do on the background?
Maintains connection to the servers, installs packages at will (with it's internal package manager) and some other things. I'm certain I have read an article about it somewhere, maybe even on their github in the comments section.

My main complaints are that
1) Extensions can do harm to the user and the user, also they do have some limitations (no idea what kind of, but for example the vim extension sucks ass compared to the real thing)
2) It's slow and bloated compared to other editors (even sublime is way faster) while it doesn't offer anything on it's own - you need an extension for everything and those are mostly shit, non-free or both.

I really wish vscodium was better, but apparently it's not. I have no idea why nowadays everyone uses it.

Emacs + Vim

Attached: spacemacs.png (500x500, 88K)

>Extensions can do harm to the user and the user
Phoneposting as it's finest. Should be
>Extensions can do harm to the user and the computer

>Maintains connection to the servers
VSCode/Codium will connect to the Internet for stuff unrelated to telemetry:
- See if an extension is available if you open a file with an unknown extension
- Check if there are updates for the extensions you installed
Outside of that, it works pretty well if you just block it with your firewall after you finish installing whatever extensions you need.
>I'd like a decent autocomplete and debugger for c++ (and several other languages). The best rated extension which supports gcc is made by (((microsoft))) and made me uninstall vscodium. I admit, I didn't bother looking for alternatives.
Fair. Haxe extensions are completely FLOSS and thankfully I had no such issues.
>Extensions can do harm to the user and the user
Had no such issues.
>It's slow and bloated compared to other editors
It is by far the fastest Electron-based editor I've ever used.

Which one of these has no botnet and will not just upload my quadrillion dollar idea to the glowniggers to steal?
Which one of these is great for javafx?

Attached: 1562999673917.gif (245x182, 497K)

with only 200 lines (and counting) in vimrc and almost endless amount of free time you can make abomination that not only resembles vscode but opens faster

Attached: Screenshot-2019-07-13_20-45-32_1600x900.png (1600x900, 384K)

This.
Absolute bare-minimum features required in any text editor:
>syntax highlighting for any language I throw at it-- even, especially, esoteric shit. This should go without saying, but it is still a requirement.
>regex find/replace with capture groups
>easy multiple cursors
>search for and go to anything in your project/directory
>package manager with tons of nice plugins
>easy theme installation and config because if I'm going to be staring at the monitory for hours on end then it needs to at least not hurt my eyes
>draggable tabs. If I can't "tear off" a tab to make a new window then I just don't even care about your editor
>multiple columns for side-by-side editing
>true cross platform compatibility-- I have to use a Mac at work, but at home everything is Linux

VScode and Atom hog RAM for absolutely no reason. (electron bullshit)
Vim has a steep learning curve and poor ergonomics.
Emacs has a steep learning curve and an ugly UI.
Gedit just doesn't have the features I regularly use in ST3.
Bluefish has promise but it just doesn't do it right.
Geany is the same.
Notepad++ has a cumbersome UI and just overall kind of sucks in comparison to ST3 especially on *nix.

ST3 delivers above and beyond on all of this and doesn't hog RAM and performs like a champ.
I paid the $70 gladly and I consider it the best purchase I ever made.

I like free software. But if you're going to be a professional then you should be willing to pay for the tools you use if necessary.

>paying 70$ for sublime text instead of learning how to use the superior vim
lmaoing @ ur life

post vimrc please

why is it so god damned slow? it is unusably slow

vscode. intellisense is very useful for certain languages and projects. its also pretty lightweight considering what it is.

It is not that slow, if your configuration is not a mess.
And why does it matter? You just have to open it once a day.

Where do you have problems?

> vim extension sucks ass compared to the real thing
What part of it sucks ass? It has more commands than most IDE vim emulators and it even has macros and regex search / replace, all while being super lightweight (as electron and vscode can allow)

For me it matters the most if I can program my editor.
Vim has that Vimscript meme language, so fuck it.
Sublime is hackable through Python afaik
VSCode is a fork of Atom so it's hackable through JS, I think?
I'll vote Sublime since it's faster and doesn't run an entire fucking browser behind the scenes.

t. Emacs user

why do literal noob faggots always bring IDEs to an editors thread?