/fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread

Welcome to /fwt/ - Friendly Windows Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Windows and share their experiences.

This is NOT Windows vs any other OS thread.
*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Windows Thread ***

Tell us about tools, utilities, configs, tips and tricks that make your life with Windows (more) bearable (or even pleasant).

Paste: rentry.co/fwt

Infograph: s1.desu-usergeneratedcontent.xyz/g/image/1562/46/1562467997749.png

Last thread:

Attached: win1.0.jpg (1449x1440, 254K)

Other urls found in this thread:

intowindows.com/how-to-disable-auto-or-adaptive-screen-brightness-in-windows-10/
rentry.co/ltsc_optimize
pastebin.com/raw/xALCVZA7
github.com/aaronparker/LatestUpdate
microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool
m.put.re/U86hXhYo.zip
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Windows is big gay

>still no pastebin with links

LTSC/B

but user, there is a paste in OP, although indeed not pastebin

LTSC, it has dark explorer and fixed the stupid file name centering bug

Which version of Windows have proper patch for ryzen 1 based CPU?

1903, so the LTSC doesnt

How much is Micdosoft paying you OP? Is Microsoft paying Jow Forums too? They better be!

Whats going on with my mouse???
When I finish playing a game and come back to Windows my mouse doesn't work until I click it, ie I can wiggle it around all day long and the cursor doesn't move but as soon as I click either button its back to normal. Its not really a huge issue im just curious as to whats causing it, Some sort of power saving feature putting my mouse into idle mode or something? Its an mx-518 from about a decade ago and this has only started happening recently.
Windows 10

Use regular Enterprise or Education

Why would Microsoft pay someone to give anons tips how to pirate their products the best?

Maybe the game locked your mouse position when playing and it thinks it's still locked to the game until you clicked it?

Microsoft would rather you pirated windows than use an alternative.

This has only started happening recently though and it does it with anything that runs full screen.
Wolfenstein, Doom, Forza 4 and Entropia.

Did you update Windows or your graphics drivers recently? Both of those change fullscreen behavior pretty often.

I update both a couple of days after any update is made available, so yeah both where updated fairly recently.
Like I said, its not a huge issue, no problem at all in fact, I just thought it was odd and the only reason I can think of is turning off the laser to save a bit of power, though that seems excessive.

LTSC has support for zen/zen+, zen support was official in 1703, no idea on zen+
You "need" 1903+ for zen2
With all that out of the way I used 1607 until 1809 was released on a 1700x just fine.

by proper patch i assumed the updated scheduler

Why does not my hdd caddy work in windows?
It is detected in BIOS

Attached: 1561744635989.jpg (812x1024, 61K)

>everybody is a paid shill but me
>USE THIS HALF FINISHED RIPOFF OF A 50YO OS

How the fuck do I disable auto brightness? I can't see any option in the settings or in the battery plan options. I'm using W10 Pro

I didn't even know that's a thing. Probably my laptop doesn't have light sensor.
Anyways, try this:
intowindows.com/how-to-disable-auto-or-adaptive-screen-brightness-in-windows-10/

Is it set hot-swap/eSATA/whatever the fuck your BIOS calls it?

Did you miss pic related?

Attached: Enable-or-Disable-Adaptive-Brightness-in-Windows-10.png (429x274, 4K)

I can't see that option

Attached: Screenshot (6).png (1920x1080, 560K)

Then your laptop lacks a light sensor.
Which is completely wack, it shouldn't be changing the brightness without your permission without one.
Are you sure it's not the Battery Saver mode that's changing your brightness?

I'm using the recommended by HP (yea, I know, HP) but it doesn't show anything about brightness

Attached: Screenshot (7).png (1920x1080, 181K)

1507, 1607 LTSB or 1809 LTSC?

(Checked)
Yeah, my one's the same. The adaptive settings used to be in the Control Panel, but moved in (I think) 17763 to the Settings app.
Try this:
Open Action Centre (that shit with a (2) on it on the right side of your taskbar),
Right click Battery Saver, click Go to Settings,
Poke around in the options on that panel.

1809 has dark explorer, fix for the stupid filename centering bug, a but less mixing between settings and control panel

I only care about stability

>stupid filename centering bug
I keep hearing about this. What is it? I've used pretty much all the different versions of 10, and never noticed it.

Changed something in the Intel video settings and stopped. It seems like it starts doing it after I disconnect the charger. Thanks

in large / medium icons view on 1607 the filenames (which are supposed to be centered like pic related) are aligned to the left and look retarded. it was never fixed in LTSB 2016

Attached: explorer_3wlFqly5Ls.png (89x135, 2K)

all LTSB / LTSC editions are fairly stable.
Server editions are based on these.

I should have fucking known. Fucking drivers are always doing barely or un-configurable shit behind Windows' (and the users') back.

Ahh. I only ever use Details view (unless I'm in a folder that thumbnails are useful i.e. Pictures or Videos), and have had desktop icons switched off since about NT 4.0.

i wish microsoft enforced even higher driver quality standards than they are doing now

Sam drivers and in it Snappy for drivers update
Monitor calibration QuickGamma but Iwish if theres an automatic one or icc profiles creator

There is a tool called W10UI made by abbodi1406 on mydigitallife forum, it can be used to integrate newest updates and .NET Framework 3.5 into the install.wim offline image from LTSC 2019 .iso, i recommend to do this before using Optimize-Offline.
For a live installation WPD.app is good, but it's a lot better to debloat offline images than already installed systems.

WDP seems pretty sketchy, where are the sources? I wouldn't recommend it

>WDP seems pretty sketchy, where are the sources? I wouldn't recommend it
Sources are on their discord server, you have to write to Barnacle or Vegetorius there.

isn't integrating updates yourself shitty, same as installing them later, unlike how microsoft does it?

Oh cool, i always thought it's closed source.
Wonder if the license lets me make a less shitty app for it

I'm liking LTSB so far, only quirk is a security update (KB4507460) got stuck at 95 percent. This somehow caused Windows to start writing something to disk at a constant high rate. In just a day it wrote about 1 TB of data to my SSD before I caught it. Downloading the cumulative update and installing it fixed it.

>isn't integrating updates yourself shitty, same as installing them later, unlike how microsoft does it?
Microsoft did the same with the "refreshed" .iso images.
Instead of installing Microsoft's re-released 17763.316 February refresh .iso of LTSC 2019 you could make your own .iso with newest updates pre-integrated (build: 17763.615) + .NET Framework 3.5 pre-integrated and DISM cleanup of update backups performed.
The W10UI is fully Open Source just like KMS_VL_ALL (another abbodi1406 tool) and Optimize-Offline (install.wim optimization script by DrEmpiricism aka. GodHand from mydigitallife).

Here's the recommended procedure: rentry.co/ltsc_optimize

hm, didn't know that, thought microsoft did something better than the lazy way

I'm curious, so the procedure is extracting the older version of LTSC (en_windows_10_enterprise_ltsc_2019_x64_dvd_74865958) and adding updates to that one?

>I'm curious, so the procedure is extracting the older version of LTSC (en_windows_10_enterprise_ltsc_2019_x64_dvd_74865958) and adding updates to that one?
Yes, it's the best to download the original EVAL .iso and rebuild the original MVS 17763.1 .iso using the SVF patch from MEGA, then integrate all the newest updates to it using W10UI, all the experienced members of mydigitallife forum always told me that it's the best to work on the 17763.1 as a base, never use refreshed .iso images for offline customization, always use the base builds that end with .1

Aight, many thanks. Now to find em updates.

Newest 1809 updates (17763.615) for x64: pastebin.com/raw/xALCVZA7

There is also a github script for that, so you don't have to search for updates manually: github.com/aaronparker/LatestUpdate

>A module to retrieve and download Windows 10 current updates from the Microsoft Update Catalog

>friendly windows
From my experience Windows users are anything but friendly. The only people worse are the hardcore linux users, especially the Arch variant.
–––––––––––––––––––
posted from my MacBook Air laptop

>From my experience Windows users are anything but friendly. The only people worse are the hardcore linux users, especially the Arch variant.
>–––––––––––––––––––
>posted from my MacBook Air laptop
I have both the Mac and desktop PC with Windows 10 LTSC 2019, what now?

Shit, didn't know it was that easy. Again many thanks

>want to install windows from Microsoft imagine through my university.
>download iso
>write to flash drive
>pc won’t boot it
>no idea why
>think it’s because I wrote to it using Linux
>try to write the image using windows
>no non shit software available to write iso to flash drives on windows
>give up on that
>try to write it to a DVD
>it’s too large o fit on the DVD

Right now I’m making a recovery of my windows install on my laptop and I’ll try to use that to install windows on my desktop. Then I’ll switch the activation code to the new one. Hopefully my pc can actually boot the recovery USB otherwise I’m fucked.
Is it supposed to be this hard?

>>no non shit software available to write iso to flash drives on windows
>what is Rufus

Attached: rufus-process-completed.png (418x608, 12K)

Btw I also wrote the iso to a ssd in case it was a problem with the flash drive/ USB ports but that wasn’t the case. The iso didn’t come with any instructions to idk how it’s supposed to be installed

Thnx bro I’ll try that if the recovery doesn’t work out

I've never had any issues burning Windows to USB or DVD. See: microsoft.com/en-us/download/windows-usb-dvd-download-tool and try that out. I can't remember if Rufus works or not for Windows ISOs but you could try that too.

>I can't remember if Rufus works or not for Windows ISOs but you could try that too.
It does, i have used Rufus since forever to create bootable USBs with Windows.

OP, please include my LTSC 2019 x64 Offline Imaging and Optimization Guide: rentry.co/ltsc_optimize

I will be updating it when necessary.

Rufus is pretty much the go-to if you want no problems with that. I just wish other OSes had a tool like this specifically for Windows ISOs, always had trouble with that stuff.

Wait, you can't download .isos from Microsoft directly anymore?

>Wait, you can't download .isos from Microsoft directly anymore?
Only the consumer .iso images are available, while the business/enterprise .iso images are not publicly available, they are only available for those who pay for the MVS or VLSC subscription ($2000 monthly or so).

Do you have to use their media whatever tool?

rufus worked well. Thanks again.

Any other tips, guys? I haven't used windows regularly since 5 years ago

Attached: yee.png (2560x1080, 1.7M)

What is the best way to backup your C drive in case it suddenly corrupts? Just clone to an external SSD and refresh the backup frequently?

Copy paste folders

Should I install W10 on my SSD or HDD? SSD is only 240GB.

Well depends what else you plan to store on the SSD but as a general rule I'd say put it on the SSD - really won't take that much and will make everything noticeably faster.

SSD, i also have 240 GB one, my optimized LTSC 2019 boots in just a few seconds, i will never come back to HDD.

I know that boot times are considerably faster but is the system performance altogether that much faster?

Enjoy your botnet retards

>I know that boot times are considerably faster but is the system performance altogether that much faster?
Yes, the entire UWP framework loads a lot faster on SSD, while on HDD it can take ~6 seconds to open UWP app, even the "Settings" app.

I have a ryzen 5 1600, I'm I better off switching to regular windows, from LTSC 2019?

Attached: Garie Laugh.gif (237x456, 80K)

thanks I will.

I assume the answer is no, but can I have multiple bootable windows on the same pen USB drive?

No.

Another question. My current Windows is installed on a HDD that I plan to reuse, since I'm not installing new Windows on it I don't have to format, is the old installation of Windows on the HDD easy to remove?

thanks for that mate, but where do you get that win 10 dism.exe if you got win7?

>thanks for that mate, but where do you get that win 10 dism.exe if you got win7?
Try this: m.put.re/U86hXhYo.zip

I've extracted the original DISM and Oscdimg from Windows 10's 1809 build ADK - should work.

I've just updated the guide considering this.

Any supplementary tools I can use with Kodi?

So far I've got Launcher4kodi and Tiny Media Manager. I'd like something that might make alternative content like Anime easier to scrape.

In how many botnet layers am i falling using musicbee as my music player

Your guide is a neat user, planning to move from Arch to Windows because of it (unironically), pretty straightforward process, hope you keep updating it forever.

>Your guide is a neat user, planning to move from Arch to Windows because of it (unironically), pretty straightforward process, hope you keep updating it forever.
Thanks. I used to work as a sysadmin years ago, but i was optimizing and deploying Windows images using proprietary tools, i've recently found very nice Open-Source alternatives to do the same, so i was thinking about creating such a guide for quite some time already.

thanks a lot d00d, now my iso is being built but how do you enable these switches in the ps1 file?
t. not Jow Forumsentooman

You seem like you know what you're talking about, having an issue with Optimize-Offline where i can't select more than one item for removal, is there something else i need to press for "select" besides double clicking

t. Absolute fucking retard

Attached: Optimize-Offline.png (1011x518, 74K)

>thanks a lot d00d, now my iso is being built but how do you enable these switches in the ps1 file?
Which switches? Do you mean registry tweaks? Edit the .ps1 file with Notepad++ and search for "#region Registry Optimizations." (without quotes), there you can remove whole reg tweaks or add your own following the pattern:

>HKLM:\WIM_HKCU\SOFTWARE\ is the registry mount path of \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\
>HKLM:\WIM_HKLM_SOFTWARE\ is the mounted registry path of \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\
etc, etc
If you're looking for particular useful registry tweaks, tenforums.com is full of them (check their index), just replace the real path with the mounted path and follow the patterns, easy.

>You seem like you know what you're talking about, having an issue with Optimize-Offline where i can't select more than one item for removal, is there something else i need to press for "select" besides double clicking
>t. Absolute fucking retard
You have to press & hold the left Ctrl button on your keyboard while clicking on multiple values with left mouse button.

Thanks fren

Attached: reimu_84.jpg (550x600, 34K)

I followed this guide to a T, installed it and it's fucking perfect. Thanks man.

Some shit is alright even closed source. Not everything is spying you 24/7, it's fucking fine.

Check out your Intel Graphics settings, there is a submenu in the profile settings for that. Had the same issue driving me nuts on my T480.

Ok thanks dude

What's a decent image viewer that's not any of the two on the infograph?

Guide updated to include this info.

Attached: okey.jpg (499x499, 28K)

How do I activate Windows 2019 LTSC?
I'm in the evaluation period right now.
I have a key but every time I tried to activated it says "The product key you entered didn't work".
Wat do gee?

Attached: 1472996861977.jpg (576x720, 114K)