How the fuck do batteries work?

I just charged up this 1st gen ipod nano for the first time in about 10 years, judging by the music on it. I charged it for a an hour or two and as soon as i unplugged it it split open like this. Why do batteries blow up like balloons over time? and why did it take me charging it again to trigger it? I had an old phone that blew up like this but it was sitting in a drawer like the ipod for years

Attached: pop.jpg (817x1452, 160K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bqcX1AjdxSw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>iShit
Found your problem.

interesting circumstances, may unironically consider subscribing to your blog

it still works fine. is this thing about to explode on me? i'm just confused how charging it caused it to swell up like that. it sat in my room for a decade and then the first time i touched it it swelled up like that

Attached: bucket.jpg (780x1387, 119K)

Electrolyte oxidation due being improperly stored. Your battery was simply faulty before you tried to charge, it just "expanded" due the sudden chemical reactions.

lith ion batteries get damaged if they are left empty for long periods of time. most likely yours was damaged due to not being charged in 10 years. you could replace it or poke a hole and vent the gas

And yes, it can blow up if you are unluckely enough. It'll also last way less and have sudden voltage drops. Just get another one.

A battery has insulators separating the conductive materials inside. Over time the insulators break down and the conductive materials just connect together and short out. If you try to charge a battery that is shorted out like this it will not charge. If you continue to charge it anyway it will heat up which causes the liquid stuff inside to turn into vapor which causes the battery to expand. If you continue to charge it anyway it will eventually explode and could catch on fire.

Attached: cant_hold_it.jpg (480x640, 12K)

>poke a hole and vent the gas
This OP, no worries, just do this. Everything will be fine.

Attached: 1507558178818.jpg (800x800, 165K)

>poke a hole and vent the gas
is that like charging your phone in the microwave or can you really do that

Attached: download.png (577x433, 201K)

Humidity got into the battery and the electricity converted it to hydrogen and some oxide. If you are carefull you can vent it and seal it back up. But be carfull, watch some YouTube videos

alright here i go

Attached: F.jpg (817x1452, 279K)

All it usually takes is the a very tiny needlepoke just through the outer layer. Then seal back up with some kapton tape or electrical tape should work.

OP is dead

Definitely

Don't poke a li ion battery youtube.com/watch?v=bqcX1AjdxSw

have you tried turning him off and on again

that’s lithium polymer, we don’t use that shit anymore, it’s unsafe. lithium ion batteries are perfectly fine to puncture

First gen nanos were recalled nearly a decade ago, specifically for their shitty batteries.
Essentially, degrading chemicals inside vaporise, turning to gas. Thus, the battery expands.
Drop into an apple store, they used to give out nanos till they were discontinued then said "Fuck it"
Maybe they'll swap it for a current touch

>Why do batteries blow up like balloons over time?
battery puffing happens with age. Because batteries store energy as potential chemical reactions (splitting then combining), there are byproducts to those reactions, in this case gas. Don't breathe it.
Batteries will puff temporarily and to a lesser degree when charged or discharged very quickly, but your battery life will be dramatically reduced.
My recommendation is taking the battery out of the device after charging it again, then putting it on a workbench, pointing a high speed camera at it, and stabbing it

batteries store electrical energy as chemical energy. your battery was old, had some degradation, and instead of holding the juice properly it underwent a chemical reaction producing gas. probably hydrogen.

>we don’t use that shit anymore
current laptop batteries are exactly that tho

definitely don't do that unless you want to self-imolate

I fucking hate these built in batteries on devices. Why dont we have replaceable batteries anymore?

Attached: IMG_20190713_132656.jpg (1600x1200, 404K)

>Why
Planned obsolescence makes big money for big corporations

op, post pics of the burns

Apple shipped defective batteries with those 1st gen iPad nanos.
They used to have a repair program for it where you can return it to Apple and they'll give you a brand new current model for free.

The shit has been closed for about 2 years now, too late fgt.