Global supply of memories in danger: will DDR4 price rise

edition.cnn.com/2019/07/10/business/south-korea-japan-chips-intl-hnk/index.html

South Korea has warned that an escalating trade dispute with Japan could hurt the global tech industry.

President Moon Jae-in said Wednesday that Japan's decision to restrict exports to South Korea of materials used in memory chips are a "blow to the economy" and threaten to disrupt global supplies.

Japan announced earlier this month that companies would need a government license to export three materials to South Korea. The materials -- fluorinated polyamides, photoresists and hydrogen fluoride -- are used to make memory chips and smartphones.

The export controls are a massive headache for South Korean firms Samsung and SK Hynix, who between them control over 63% of the global memory chip market, according to the latest figures from the Korea International Trade Association.

South Korean firms sourced 94% of fluorinated polyamides, 92% of photoresists and about 44% of hydrogen fluoride from Japan In the first quarter of this year, data from the association showed. Samsung, the world's biggest seller of smartphones, said in a statement to CNN Business that it was "assessing the current situation and reviewing a number of measures to minimize the impact on our production."

Attached: fickman.jpg (680x382, 69K)

>when your price-fixing cartel got busted so you beg the government to help make shit expensive again

oh no no no and I wanted a cheap 32gb kit

oy vey SK is raising DDR4 prices right when Zen2 is releasing

Attached: images.jpg (256x256, 25K)

Time to buy 100k worth of DDR4 RAM and resell for 2x in a year

OY VEY! SHUT. IT. DOWN. NOW.

Oh fuck off. DRAM pricing was just becoming acceptable again after years or prove collision.

Fuck it, guess I'll be buying memory for my new rig now

Doesn't matter, Zen2 doesn't depend on fast DRAM to improve IF data rate. You only gain 3%~ perf going from 2666 to 3600 kits.

Japan is bankrupt and only delaying the inevitable.

doubt they care about desktop zen 2, the profits are in server.

Wrong. Japan's action in this case is due to South Koreans placing tariffs on Japanese business. The reason is the new SK gov decided Japanese businesses need to pay for South Korean comfort women. Yes, this thing won't stay dead. Japan has done 3-4 different treaties with multiple South Korean government to end this whole charade and put this whole WWII issue behind, but each time Japan concedes and makes a treat, the incoming new government simply ignores the old treaty and makes a new fuss.

This issue won't be solved until South Korea is satisfied in bankrupting Japan for all eternity.

oh no no no and I wanted a cheap 128gb kit

>Japan is bankrupt
How did things go downhill for glorious nippon?

Attached: Microsoft won.png (602x500, 55K)

>Tensions have been rising for months, stemming in part from Japan's colonial rule over the Korean peninsula in the early 20th century. South Korea's top court recently ruled that its citizens can sue Japanese companies for using forced Korean labor during the Second World War.
I just had a funny thought. If you can sue for being forced into labor, could you sue for being forced to fight?

>>This issue won't be solved until South Korea is satisfied in bankrupting Japan for all eternity.
based gooks, weebs btfo

They didn't sue Japan, but rather "they", the new government asked the court to reverse the treaty with Japan in which Japan agreed to pay x amount of dollar to settle the issue once and for all. The new court says, the government must negotiate compensation on individual basis, not a wholistic one.

We basically have this in New Zealand in regards to the Treaty disputes with the native population.
There's no end to it. It would drag on forever and the most money ends up with the legal teams.

>most money ends up with the legal teams
That's the point.

I know.
They would have taken legal advice on this decision, after all.
It was probably the same lawyers who were paid to draft up the first agreement.

Well the thing with the Japan/Korea is, all the money gets used by the government and they keep opening the issue again/again. Its not the first time, its not the third time, this is like the 4th time the issue was supposed to be closed.

>nuke a country so hard they become your ally
>use them to annoy other countries by proxy
sasuga glowniggers

Attached: 1562623311376.png (1248x1920, 1.57M)

So did the Korean government give Japan back the money they recieved?

>acceptable
it's at the same level DDR3 bottomed out, but excluding inflation.
Buy your NAND now or suffer through another 5 year cycle of price rallies until DDR5 suddenly drops to 60$ for 16GB

That's wrong though, IF is still tied to DRAM, it's just not a fixed 1:1 ratio anymore

There isn't even a shortage YET.

Attached: motherfucker.jpg (876x578, 47K)

Memory is mostly used for servers and smartphones bub. Prices are going up because the memory market is an infamous cartel which has antitrust rulings against it happening like clockwork.

Got 16gb for $50 and see some 16gb for mid $40s. Should I go for it, they are different modules (2 + 2)? Will it fuck up all the other ones?

These fucking insects were literally complaining about sitting on two quarters of unsold supply not even 60 days ago.

Attached: 1554179424850.jpg (406x471, 20K)

time to hoard those cheap NVMe's

it would be smarter to just not do that and go back to NVME for programs and anything needed quick storage and long-term things on HDDs.

Not only would it be cheaper, storing things you seldom use on NVMe is retarded. For example, if I use referenced images in an imaging proram, it doesn't matter if the image is actually stored on an nvme or hdd or even cloud, as long as the imaging program is on an ssd, the speed will be fast.

3000 MHz to 3200 MHz CL16 for the 3700x?

Then what about my dream of buying SSD & RAM for cheap? Asian jews at it again.

Good thing I already bought my RAM

hoarding them for sales user, not use.

No, they've used up all of it. Some of the money were given to comfort women throughout the various treaties, most were simply used for government projects.

>, as long as the imaging program is on an ssd, the speed will be fast.
disqualified

RAM prices are cheap as fuck right now, I stocked up on another 16gb lol
prices are literally half of what they were last year.

I'm guessing trump has something to do with this?

>Still stuck on DDR3
It better fucking not go up. If it does I'll buy some RAM and keep it until I do inevitably upgrade my motherboard and CPU and can use it.

Holy shit why the fuck did americans feel the need to defend those dirty gooks? The world would be better without them.

Its not wrong, you read it wrong.

Samsung has ~1-2 weeks worth of chemicals from Japan now.

It will fuck it up. Buy the same pair or get lost.

>tfw no fucking money because can't get a good job
I've been wanting to upgrade some minor shit for a while now like ram and ssd, but they require a new mobo which would also mean a new cpu.