Serious question

Serious question.

Microshit has unlimited resources and funds.

Why can't it make a normal OS that is not complete garbage?

Why can't they just build a brand new OS based on "nix from scratch that has a good graphical subsystem, user space driver injection, etc.?

Why do they have to add shit on top of shit every year? I don't get it.

Attached: windows-10-14328-580797c43df78cbc285096a1.png (768x512, 103K)

>lazy
>greedy
>pajeets
>de-facto monopoly (government facilities, schools, companies, gaymers, tech illiterates, normies in general)

because we need more money im sorry :)

central control doesn't scale

Yeah I get all that, but wouldn't a new modern OS from the ground up scale better for the next 20 years?

Wanblows 10 literally has code from 1995.

there's nothing really wrong with the NT core itself, if anything it's probably much nicer than the 30 year old bloated mess of the Linux kernel since it's more frequently rewritten

but all of the overlaying software is going to be messier over the decades because function always triumphs over form and elegance, nobody wants yet another lazy *nix stack that does nothing actually important that you can't already do on existing solutions at the cost of wasting time rebuilding, re-learning and re-training.

as long as people buy it en masse? no. windows at this point is a giant project of legacyware for the 3 retards who still run their business logic on vbasic macros in excel 2003 or msdos 16bit applications

it has code from 1995 because it needs to run software from 1995
they wouldn't be able to make a good operating system from scratch either

>it has code from 1995 because it needs to run software from 1995

Why do they need to do that?

Can't they have 2 OSs, one consumer the other legacy?

I get banks and shit need legacy software, but jeez.

that was the long term plan with metro and it didn't go over well

Unless you convince all companies and goverment organizations to stop being retarded, that will never happen.

Who said they can't? Problem is a fuck ton of companies rely on legacy support and they're Microsoft's main interest.
People using it as a desktop OS are either going to be using Windows or macOS, Linux will never compete so why bother improving?

>Why can't it make a normal OS that is not complete garbage?
Why would they spend even $1 to make a better OS? What's in it for them?
They're making lots of money right now. It's not like anyone is switching to Linux and LibreOffice.

Maybe some other company/CEO would have more pride about their products (someone like Steve Jobs at some point could to things out of principle), but Microsoft has been a purely profit driven enterprise from day one and it's even more so now with that pajeet in charge.
They just don't give a shit as long as they make profit.

Attached: all that matters.png (267x132, 3K)

this

Because it doesn't make them any money.
Keeping you on the hamster wheel, however, does.

It's impossible for any group of people to make a good conventional operating system even if you give them a hundred billion dollars for it. The problem is unsolvable.

No. I mean it's a constant struggle, sure, but Windows could be improved in a million ways.

damn.........linux btfo!

I thought it was pretty clear. Microsoft is getting Windows 10 all lubed up to become SaaS. They don't make money from Windows anymore, since basically everyone has Windows via cheap as fuck company product keys and piracy, so they're gonna release a new version of Windows (called, well, Windows). Expect it to be something like 10 S. Microsoft is gonna release big revamps to their store in the coming years, and try to get popular software developers to move their apps and programs to the Windows Store (and make Windows Store less xbox-oriented and its own separate thing) to make EXEs obsolete. You are going to pay a fixed amount a month to use Windows, another partition will store all of your files and when you don't pay up Windows will lock you out of the OS, or give you a barebones version with ads.
Microsoft will no longer make major updates to Windows, and instead we'll get security updates indefinitely.
Microsoft is already trying to phase out single purchase Office apps in favor of Office 365.
This is all, of course, because they got a taste of the heroin that is subscription based cloud computing, and now they want to deploy similar business models to everything they sell, cloud-based or not.
Say goodbye to paying once for literally anything Microsoft related. If you were wondering what direction paid technology is heading in, this is about it. Every major tech company wants to implement more subscriptions. Apple in the past year had an entire keynote exclusively dedicated to their new subscription services. Microsoft is focusing all their attention on Azure, their new subscription based cloud computing service. Amazon has been working on AWS for some time now; a subscription based cloud computing service. Even Google is trying to make it's way into the gaming world by... A subscription based cloud-run video game platform.
If you're looking for a new Microsoft OS, oh boy oh boy you're gonna get one, but you're gonna hate it.

>there's nothing really wrong with the NT core itself
You've never really used it, I see.

Attached: 1561861275239.jpg (540x532, 53K)

>give you a barebones version with ads
>windows not having ads in the first place

Yeah. The OS/2 then Windows NT development was a big risk. It actually killed IBM in the PC arena and even for Microsoft it was nearly a white elephant. Apple failed entirely to make a unicode based pre-emptive os with a good ui and had to buy it instead. I don't get why Google thinks they can do better with Fuschia

No user, big boy ads. Like, for companies besides Microsoft.

They have an agenda to dumb down the population, make their os easier to use for blacks and women. Thats why windows 10 is a thing. They are perfectly capable just maintaining/updating windows 7 indefinetely but they choose not to because then white people would a choice of a functional and usable os

Legacy software. They can only carefully climb up a poorly built and unsteady house of cards. Using old software it what everyone expects to do with Windows and there's nothing anyone can do to change that perception.

Windows 7 isn't a usable or functional OS lol

They're already trying to build a whole new world with the UWP apps. They suck even worse than the old software.

>lmao just rewrite your main and most complex product because it has legacy code that people still use
please never work as a programmer

Because it is a profit making company. if their shit works for your average plebs then they don't fix it. They will just apply cosmetic changes to "go with the time" and to impress retards. Their shit in Win10 is the same as Win7 with more lipstick and make up.

It is.

Made me chuckle, pajeet. Good work.

You are grossly underestimating legacy software. For consumers, there's MASSIVE games that use dx9 from 2002. Like league of legends. The WHOLE POINT of windows is running very specific windows applications.

Windows has rewritten the entire thing, Windows RT, the whole metro skin on win8-10 AND windows phone. All spectacular failures because there's no software for it. They have mostly given up.

Is right, but with a caveat. For buisness there is already a decent windows version. LTSB/C. It isn't sold to consumers because that would give it exposure and will get it pirated. Normies right now are too queasy to download and install it.

Windows is such a shitshow for one simple reason - it needs to be and always will treat you like you’re using a Tomy my first computer, let’s be honest people are dumb and will always do dumb shit with their pc because they haven’t got a fucking clue how anything works. Your average Jow Forums user is most likely well clued up but to most people a pc is just another consumer white good so it has to be aimed at the average (read thick as shit) user.

The LGBT edition is somewhat a meme. It doesn't even have the latest Ryzen optimizations. It could also break with some new software, because devs don't check for it.
But if you're fine with your system as it is then it's a good choice.

>it needs to be and always will treat you like you’re using a Tomy my first computer
That doesn't explain the W10 big system updates every 6 months that wreck shit, at best only reset your settings. Or the many other user-hostile decisions that can fuck up a noob in many ways.

No. MS wants to push people into using their account/store/subscriptions/ads/datamining. Because they think there's not enough money to be made with solid user-friendly offline-centric software.

Microsoft didn't get huge by not paying programmers to improve their software. If anything they have more incentive now than ever to do it because the huge user base amplifies the effect of every change. The reason windows is no good is because they can't make it better. They try hard and dump millions of dollars into it but every improvement is met with a regression. Large software is exceptionally complex and trying to dominate it from the top down is a losing strategy.

Indeed. This is why google creeped up to them from behind. Now even some companies are using chromeebooks instead of windows machines with gmail suits and all.

It will end up being replaced by Windows for Business or something of that nature, with longer periods between updates (for only CRUCIAL security updates) with the ability to download apps not from the windows store (that companies might make for their employees) available to download through an unlisted windows store. Sorry if that doesn't make much sense, but LSTB/C isn't getting off the hook. Corporate is one of Microsoft's biggest clients both for Windows and Azure and they're sure as hell gonna want all that sweet, sweet subscription money from corporations.

Big companies cannot innovate.
They are far too bureaucratic and the CEO ends up micro-managing everything while everyone else licks his boots and does whatever retarded shit he comes up with knowing it's stupid but that's how you get promoted.

Oh yeah and I should mention that LTSB is easily pirateable, it was literally as easy as any other pirated windows edition and I'm running it right now.

>t doesn't even have the latest Ryzen optimizations.
Which ones? most of the ones I have seen did nothing.
>It could also break with some new software, because devs don't check for it.
I haven't noticed a single issue like this. Probably because they want to maintain win7 support and metro shit is generally useless.

>Corporate is one of Microsoft's biggest clients both for Windows and Azure and they're sure as hell gonna want all that sweet, sweet subscription money from corporations.
They can just take payment per month instead of per install.

Sure is but normies are fickle creatures. I'm the only one I know with LTSB/C even though I have told them all about and could show them where to get it. They would rather but a win10 key on kinguin.

There is no profit motive that would drive microsoft to make buggy broken software. Making windows worse doesn't sell more web services.

Bureaucratic problems make it way worse but the fundamental problem is the complexity of the system. It's easy to make a small piece of stable software and nearly impossible to keep a large code base bug free.

It explains the advantages and disadvantages linux has. The software is generally functional but interoperability is an eternal problem. Every attempt at organizing a top down grouping of the software to create a complete system fails in some way. There are a hundred distros and none of them are perfect.

It has to be somehow different from regular Windows, so they can phase out regular Windows. It's how MS is planning on making MS Office subscription exclusive. With regular Office you get.... Office. And it never updates. With Office 365™ you always get the newest version of Office every 3 years or so with some extra goodies like OneDrive and monthly Skype minutes.
Similarly, MS might announce that they're ceasing security updates for Windows 10 "sooner than expected" and switching development to Windows and Windows for Business. This isn't gonna be in like, the next 5 years or so since there's still lots of things that MS needs to iron out with Windows to make it work better with SaaS (like not having unhinged access to all root files), but expect this to be a more long term thing where they introduce SaaS alongside a new update to Windows 10, then windows 10 suspiciously doesn't get another update and instead gets security updates until Microsoft decides it's time to force the remaining security focused legacy users to make the switch.

>There is no profit motive that would drive microsoft to make buggy broken software. Making windows worse doesn't sell more web services.

The bugs are just a side effect. The profit is in resetting your OS every 6 months and installing fresh ads/crapware on it.

Also, people would eventually give up trying to have a stable OS and move to web/cloud based services from MS.

This is a theory, I admit I don't know exactly what MS's plan is with these frequent updates. Possibly they're just being dumb, it wouldn't be the first time.
Just like how they idiotically jumped on the touchscreen/tablet train with W8 and they're still trying to recover now with this half-assed W10 UI.

>Microsoft didn't get huge by not paying programmers to improve their software.
Microsoft got huge by happenstance and stayed that way because OSes are natural monopolies. The purpose of a OS is providing a uniform space to run applications.
Chromebooks are mostly a thing in the US. I have yet to see one IRL outside a store. Their marketshare is minimal globally - 0.77%.

Replacement of Windows can only happen when the Operating system as we know it is obsolete. ChromeOS isn't competing as a OS, it's competing by only being the application "google chrome". Essentially OS-less. It's only viable as so far as "webapps" can replace real apps.

ChromeOS is a niche because most people are either so normie that they are fine with a phone or ipad OR they want to dabble in a PC game or x86 application.

MS is also already competing, and competing well with their own webapps. Office, outlook, azure...

Attached: chrome_2019-07-13_12-06-06[1].png (1153x585, 106K)

>scale better for the next 20 years
Literally who cares. Not microshart

Putting new ads on your computer does not require having unstable software with poor usability.

They wouldn't be there to get big through happenstance if they didn't put the investment into their software.

Most of the money here though is in making windows 10 a subscription service (but not centrally hosted), keeping legacy software support. Phasing out legacy software support is too hard at the moment. But they could just make windows10 base free, ad-supported and make the pro version $8/mo. When you buy a PC it come pre-loaded with months of windows pro. They could pretend to or fix the update shit at the same time and the press would shill it like mad.

Yes but it doesn't matter now. They have the monopoly.

Microsoft still ships new features and changes the user interface every year. All those updates you are forced to reboot for are expensive failed attempts to make the operating system better. If they were only trying to save money nothing would have been changed. We would still be using something like windows 95.

>Putting new ads on your computer does not require having unstable software with poor usability.
No, but it's cheaper. Having stable software costs more and it's not worth it to MS. People can rage about W10 bugs, but nobody is switching to Linux/Mac because of it.

The main business goal of W10 is to get people to sign up to a MS account and use those online/subscription services.
For this you need a new OS and you need to convince enough people that it's worth using it because it's so new and cool. You can't do that with W95.

>If they were only trying to save money nothing would have been changed. We would still be using something like windows 95.
That would be unreasonable and stupid. They need to make new versions to sell (until they go subscription). They need to keep up appearances.

>Can't they have 2 OSs, one consumer the other legacy?
They have a dozen of them, they just all died because no one want to use Windows without these old softwares.

Do you really not think stable and usable software is a selling point for normies? Changing the interface certainly isn't what they want. Nobody liked windows 8 or windows 10 when they were new.

Microsoft had to give away windows 8 and 10 for free and update the old versions with scary popups to get people to install it.

I love seeing useless spergs in the wild.

If you asked why he thinks win7 isn’t useable he’d start blabbing about micro kernels and terminals.

>Do you really not think stable and usable software is a selling point for normies? Changing the interface certainly isn't what they want. Nobody liked windows 8 or windows 10 when they were new.
It just doesn't matter enough.
Windows/Office is a monopoly. What are normies going to do if they don't like the new Windows? Switch to Linux/LibreOffice? lol

Because Microsoft is run by meatheads that don't know anything about technology.

Sure why not. Normies only use office at work anyway. For home they don't even use computers really.

If they were a rationally run monopoly with no reason to improve the operating system they would stop updating it for any reason other than to add more advertisements. Microsoft probably spends a hundred million dollars each year adding features and patches to windows that aren't related to the web services.

>Sure why not.
Now the documents from our business partners don't work and we lost $3M. You are fired.

I think you're forgetting the fact that *nix also uses legacy code. Just because it's legacy does not make it shit (not saying windows isn't shit)

>If they were a rationally run monopoly with no reason to improve the operating system
I was hoping you wouldn't be this dumb but let me spell it out to you: In the real world "monopoly" isn't a binary yes/no option. Being too "bad" will result in some negative effect, like regulation or more piracy. A monopoly just like any economic entity has a optimum amount of output. That output isn't zero.

>Changing the interface certainly isn't what they want. Nobody liked windows 8 or windows 10 when they were new.
>Microsoft probably spends a hundred million dollars each year adding features and patches to windows that aren't related to the web services.
You know what those changes were for right? RIGHT? They were for phones and tablets. They wanted to monopolize that market too. They didn't give a shit about what PC users thought because the KNEW they had no choice.

Yet even after the microsoft phone dream is dead they still ship features and fixes for windows 10. If they were a rational monopoly with an intent to please people at a minimum level they would stop making changes people hate. My uncontroversial claim is that microsoft as a company is incompetent at good software development. I don't see why you're so eager to resist that.

>Yet even after the microsoft phone dream is dead they still ship features and fixes for windows 10.
Do they seem like well made fixes?
>If they were a rational monopoly with an intent to please people at a minimum level
See:
>I was hoping you wouldn't be this dumb but let me spell it out to you: In the real world "monopoly" isn't a binary yes/no option. Being too "bad" will result in some negative effect, like regulation or more piracy. A monopoly just like any economic entity has a optimum amount of output. That output isn't zero.

>My uncontroversial claim is that microsoft as a company is incompetent at good software development.
When it comes to windows as a desktop you're not wrong. They are incompetent, or rather us incompetent pajeets because they can without losing much marketshare.

Windows phone was pretty good, seen as great by most of its users. Web office, azure and outlook are all pretty competent (for what they are).

They have little to no competition. With no competition they become stale.

Look at Intel; little competition/majority market share... until now. Intel will have to be very innovative to get back to the top.

Will the same thing happen to Microsoft? Unlikely. Legacy will keep them going for a long time to come.
But the next best thing could be around the corner.
There's no loyalty anymore. People will jump ship if there's somthing better/cheaper.

old company, old BIG company, i bet it's just bureaucracy as always

Attached: 1472073735336.jpg (1300x4704, 716K)

use open-shell start menu alternative
you wont see those stupid tiles

Have you tried explaining to our partners about the benefits of free-as-in-speech software?

>pajeets
Windows has always been hot shit.

W10 is good though? You can make the stare menu function like 7 if you want.

>Why can't they just build a brand new OS based on "nix from scratch that has a good graphical subsystem, user space driver injection, etc.?
Oh, you're retarded

Attached: 65d.png (434x327, 32K)

This is one of the reasons I decided to go to linux from 7 back in Jan. Fuck everything about that.

What's funny is in all my years I've never ever used those intrusive shit.
Anyways you can download classic shell and it'll give you that minimalist start menu from win7(that fucking had everything you need)

I'm glad Linux is actually been slowly getting better support. If this shit ever happens I'm jumping ship and I swear so will 70% of the windows users if another alternative comes up.
Like you said they make no money cause no one pays for Windows anymore cause no one wants to pay. This idea will fail hard cause even the majority of businesses are pirating windows.

Unpopular opinion.
All these open source moment of software was funded by few original corporation (IBM, MS, Apple) to create a communist system of software development where everything is given to you. This led to few competition and discourage new software companies to enter free market. MS, IBM became god because they already had footprints in the software market. Very few people know this.
Now instead of 10 competitive operating system we have Windows and Mac OS, both profiting heavily. The open source Linux is a joke. You can use it in server but servers are hardly a profitable market. Consumerist computer usage far outnumber server users.

Stallman is a Jewish mindset secret agent put at the forefront of open source. NSA, CIA and EU are co-ordinating these tactics. Plebs like you will never learn.

Azure, AWS and GCP are nothing but new user it's been some time.

Companies are using G Suite and chromebooks user.

Because consumers aren't their primary market. Their stuff is still the best in enterprise settings, which is where they make their money. Your opinion literally doesn't matter

>Why can't they just build a brand new OS based on "nix from scratch that has a good graphical subsystem, user space driver injection, etc.?
why should they? who need the 300. incarnation of unix?