Refresh Rates

Is anything over 60hz just a meme and a way for companies to milk consumers for extra cash?

Attached: frame-rates.jpg.optimal.jpg (1920x1161, 507K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcgamer.com/how-many-frames-per-second-can-the-human-eye-really-see/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No, anything over 24Hz is

144hz is nice, just for the smooth feeling you get from moving your mouse cursor.

So it's useless.

useless?
What are the drawbacks?

I have a 240hz monitor for gaymen and 2 60hz monitors. Can confirm that 240hz is a lot smoother than 60hz.

For normal games yes. For rhythm games no.

So if you're an adult who doesn't engage in children's activities, a higher refresh rate is useless.
correct?

240Hz is better than anything else, but you need an Intcel CPU to even get close to that framerate

>240hz
>1080p
lol

unless you are le epic competitive CS:GO gamer, it's useless and placebo. most normies don't even switch to 144hz when they buy a monitor that supports it, they just think it's running at that when in reality they are still on 60hz. and unless it has GSync it just causes more problems than it does improvements since a lot of games don't even support anything above 60hz/60fps so you'll get tearing and all sorts of shit. GSync has it's own set of problems with mouse input lag etc. I think unless you are serious about competitive gaming you should avoid them and invest the money elsewhere.

Even high end TVs do 120hz
High refresh has its uses and it is much smoother
It’s not something you would necessarily want to pay a huge premium for unless you have the GPU to run games or really care about judder free video playback

>watching television/movies in 120hz
sounds fucking awful, just like motion smoothing.

Source: my ass

it's definitely very useful for rhythm games

npc

lol i'm a top 1000 osu player and i have a 60hz monitor. i have a buddy that's top 100 that plays on a fucking laptop screen. i guess it looks cool but there is ZERO advantage to it.

and this is why you'll never be top 10
fact

>Is anything over 60hz just a meme and a way for companies to milk consumers for extra cash?
Try the refresh rate setting in GTA 5 and tell me. The difference is literally night and day between 60 and 75 Hz. So much so that it feels as though you're running the game at 60 fps even if you aren't. Other than that, I don't think there's any drastic and worthwhile differences.

My uncle works at nintendo too

lol i'm also an osu!fag but yea there's advantage to it faggot, rafis said he can't play ar11 without 144hz and all the top players said 240hz is better than 144z, i mean i can even notice the difference between 60 and 75

Movies or TV shows being played on a 60hz monitor requires something called 3:2 pull down to convert the 24 FPS content to 30 FPS content, that 30 FPS content can then be played on a 60hz panel just using frame multiplication
With a 120hz screen both 24fps content and 30fps are perfectly divisible so no pull down is required

virgin

nomod Fag

Found the zoomer that never touched a CRT in his life

144hz is a noticeable jump up from 60 but anything above that is kinda pointless

It's the other way around. 60Hz just became the standard because it's cheaper to make. Remember that your average refresh rate before LCDs ranged from 75Hz to 120Hz.

>all these gaymerz
fucking embarrassing

>So if you're an adult who doesn't engage in children's activities
if you were such a thing, I'd imagine that you would have much better things to do than to bicker about shit you don't care about/know nothing about on a Saturday afternoon on an imageboard on the internet.

>[X] Told

144 is the sweet spot. For the noobies the jump is insane. For the 240 geeks they won't notice and they'll save money

And if you weren't, you be upset by what I said.
Go figure, you are.

>implying I'm upset
nigga, that was my first post in the thread. I was just pointing out that you're wasting your time here, just as I am. if you really want to get an answer to your question, look at the refresh rates yourself and make your own conclusion based on what your personal usage is...
or are you too much of a brainlet to make decisions?

Again this shit about refresh rates, the faster your monitor can write the screen the better.
Learn about how your gpu send images to your monitor, the problems about sync and how sampling has to do with all of this.

Each time someonce ask this, I remember other stupid questions about sound sampling.

>nigga
Your opinion is irrelevant.

at least I can form an opinion, npc

>wigger
I'm surprised you can even form a sentence.

if you have slow brainlet reaction, then yes 60hz is enough

We're not talking about gaymez, bud.

I'm considering getting a 1440p 60hz monitor because I game way less than I thought I would, and I don't feel competitive. I mainly write or play shit like WoW or DOOM or Metroidvanias. I have a 144hz monitor and honestly, any FPS above 100 gets REALLY hard for me to tell a difference. At 120 FPS I see no difference at all. 60fps 4k/2k is still good for a long time, OP. You don't need 144hz for programming, writing, music production or non-competitive gaming. Put the extra money in hardware or save it.

Just moving your cursor at 60hz will feel wrong and bother you if you're used to 144hz.
It's not a meme. Actually, it's one of the few things that, by themselves, make a tremendous improvement to a desktop experience. Like going from mechanical drives to SSDs.
I'm not easily impressed or mentally ill on consumerism, but that's one thing I definitely welcome in my life and >120hz should definitely be the standard if we had the technology. LCD is just that mediocre.

>LCD is just that mediocre.
Unfortunately we're stuck with it for the next 10 years.

I competed in games just fine when 30 fps was the gold standard. 1 frame in a 60 fps game is already so short you can't possibly react within it, making the frames even shorter won't help.
And high frame rates just look awful for live video.

Unless you type at 60 characters a second, no. If you play bing bing wahoo then 144hz is just a luxury. Nobody needs a 144hz panel

having to buy more expensive hardware to keep it, considering you are in gaymen or do productive graphics shit with your setup

Attached: 60hz vs 144hz.png (1920x1080, 2.16M)

play osu mania retard

If I was a roastie the mere thought of someone shitposting on Jow Forums all day about other people's hobbies being for children would drench my panties

axarious played on 60hz

also you're all plebs for not buying a high refresh rate monitor to increase geometry dash tickrate, fucking broken game

what happens after 10 years?

For average gaymers yes but 144hz is pretty crucial if you're playing any kind of competitive FPS game or MOBAs. Think it's also useful for racing games but I'm just guessing there.

MOBAs? I would've said those were the competetive games where you need the least refresh rate, how come?

Went from 60 to 75 with a bit of OC, it's nice and it does feel a bit smoother but I wouldn't spend extra money for it.

I think having a higher resolution is more useful in MOBAs than a high refresh rate but the smoother movements of the mouse makes panning easier/more responsive which is important to some people. Definitely not as critical as FPS, I should have worded my sentence better.

You're a faggot, so not too far off.

Have 144Hz monitor. Once you feel the /smooth/ you will never go back. Mouse and vidya especially

Attached: 1450988731808.png (651x541, 102K)

The difference between 60hz and 144hz is amazing and definitely noticable. I'd recommend 144hz if you can afford it and your pc can handle it. it's truly amazing.

based and strobepilled

Again, so if you don't play gaymez, it's not worth it.
Thanks for clarifying.

Imagine paying an extra couple hundred so you can swirl your mouse around like an autistic child.

>What is high speed footage
It's like you don't own a camera lmao

If you're not gaming on it then there's zero reason to get a 1080p 144hz monitor when you could grab a 1440p 60hz monitor for around the same price

Something I have no idea even existed because I'm not a faggy photographer.

Just go outside and into a shop and look at a 120Hz panel.
If you can't see the difference, you're either blind, very, very slow or they configured it wrong.

this question is pointless without you specifying what os the usage of such monitor

t. eyelet

As you can tell from the seething replies of invalid gaymerz, if you don't waste time and actually have work to do, avoid wasting money on muh big hurtz!
Cheers, fellas.

No, the improvement is clearly visible. Whether you personally feel like that improvement is worth pursuing or not is another matter and it depends entirely on you. I'm personally pretty happy with 60Hz at 3840x2160. I don't really play too many MP competitive games and I otherwise prefer to have the image quality instead.

Even just moving the mouse is smoother. Also if you like videos, 120 Hz and 240 Hz are both exact multiples of 24, 30 and 60.

race war

seriously tho hopefully affordable microled happens

you just have to blink 60 times by second to get this smooth animation feel.

I stop noticing large differences around 100-120. After that its hard to notice. 240hz is useless to me and I think its a meme.

no, everything is just objectively smoother in general.

>Is anything over 60hz just a meme and a way for companies to milk consumers for extra cash?
no 120hz and up is legitimate, Id rather have 1080p/120fps than 4k/60. once you try it you can't go back

Attached: 30fps vs 60fps.webm (720x540, 2.96M)

damn, spending twice the money on a monitor and gpu looks like THAT!?

No. Mechanical keyboards are though.

240hz is the new minimum standard

And 1080p looks like smeared baby shit compared to 1440p on a decent sized screen, never mind 4k. It's all preference.

144hz is nice, but costly if you want to keep playing at that framerate.

>And 1080p looks like smeared baby shit compared to 1440p on a decent sized screen

why would you even get a widescreen 1080p monitor? the sweet spot is 1440p/144hz. 1080p on a 27inch still looks fine. the target should be affordable 4k 120hz monitors.
>It's all preference.
literally everyone i've known who actually uses computers/plays games aside from a friend who does media work prefers a high refresh rate over 4k/60

It was worth it for me. It feels like the difference between 30fps and 60, smoother. It's definitely noticeable and I say it's worth it if you play games, especially competitive ones. It was worth it to play counter-strike imo but if you're just doing development or web browsing you may want to skip it.

(to clarify I'm talking about 144hz. If you do get a monitor that's compatible, assuming you're using windows, make sure you set it to 144hz in advanced graphics properties or windows will use 60hz, people sometimes forget this and think it's placebo. It's immediately somewhat noticeable on the desktop and more so in a game)

Can even the 2080ti deliver consistant > 144hz on the 0.1%? It seems useless if there are dips and stutters, might as well lock it to 60hz....

>twice the money
Yeah no

>osu worth whilr rhythm game.
play iidx or ITG and then talk about rhythm games

play a real vsrg retard

Isn't that done automatically?

It doesn't matter unless you're into competitive gaming.

with cpu processing power increasing /while usage decreasing and cheap storage getting cheaper every year, we should start moving into 600 hz/ fps era for video footage. 600hz can properly show 24/25/30/50/60/100/120 fps footage, 600hz is the future

Wow like $100-200 extra I will pay once in my lifetime. Are you poor?

I fucking knew this would come.
>paying money
vs
>not paying as much
still a downside wouldn't you agree, Mr Millionaire?

This is something you would only ask if you've never tried it yourself. The difference is day and night.

No.
You have to specifically move through Windows menus into advanced graphic options or know how to use the Nvidiot driver settings.
You can't do it from the AyyMD driver software

Is there a 4k monitor that can do 1080p@120hz?

no, DLSS, DXR, etc are

I had to reinstall my gpu driver recently so my 144hz monitor was running at 60hz until it installed and it was an absolutely horrible and traumatizing experience holy shit.

If you never used 144hz stay away from it because you can never go back.

My monitor is 144Hz, my OnePlus7Pro is 90Hz and my ThinkPad T450s is oc 60Hz.
I can't watch anything under ~100Hz because it feels like shit. That's the downside

Yes, there are 4K monitors which can even do 4K@120-144Hz. The most affordable one that I know of is the Acer XV273K, but even that one is around $1000. If you mean one specifically which can do 1080p@120Hz but only 4K@60Hz I don't know of one like that. I believe some of those exist too, but you might only find them in TV-like sizes, I don't think I've ever seen one at 27" or something like that.

pcgamer.com/how-many-frames-per-second-can-the-human-eye-really-see/

The thing you'll have to realise is that there are fps ranges and jump from one range to another is more noticeable in some cases than others. The jump from 30-40 to 60 is very noticeable. The jump from 50 to 60 or 60 to 75-80, while not as noticeable is still pretty decent. Then theres the 100-120 range. And then the +144 range. Anyone who memes about "muh 5/10 more fps" within one single range, is a mouthbreathing retard.(unless it's less than 60, but then again, that's shit tier in the first place.) For (((competitive))) games, +120 is the minimum for some.

What a retard.