Audio Production PC

Finally ready to build a new PC for mixing. Already have a production PC (i7 8700K - 64g DDR4) for recording.

Any specific recommendations for a PC capable of 192kHz + / high track count / heavy plugin load?

Is Ryzen 3000 good for audio? Is intel still better?

Attached: 1.jpg (480x360, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

scanproaudio.info/2019/07/12/amd-ryzen-3600-3700x-3900x-dawbench-tested-3-is-it-the-magic-number/
youtu.be/uncK2ghtPtQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Interested also

>audio production PC
Dude, just buy a Mac

I will not buy a mac ever! I have a MBP that works fine for on the go stuff or mixing in the car or whatever. Honestly they are just overpriced.

Lol audiophiles, just get a raspberry pi

don't
t. guy who sold his mbp 2 weeks ago to get a desktop pc (ryzen 3000 btw), may i ask why op doesn't use his fat production pc for the job

I have one thanks.

The recording PC is in my studio room. I have a treated mixing room in my house. I find that mixing in a different room also helps, plus I can mix at home any time.

ok, i tried to find some information on the topic a while ago. The consensus seemed to be Intel because of better single core performance and reduced latency vs the ryzen 1xxx lineup. With the 2xxx Cpus the gap closed so i guess with the increased ipc and decreased latency it should be on par right now.
The Question is will you/ your DAW use all threads. if high track count/ heavy plugin load is more than 20 at once with like 5-6 effects each maybe a 3900x is better than a 9900k, if you process 1 track really have with lots of crazy plugins, freeze the track and go on the next one there is not a lot of power needed.
Also if your setup allows it you can get away without a graphics card when using a 9900k or 8700k

I use 50+ tracks sometimes. I do freeze stuff a lot. I currently use REAPER and really love it. If I get a 3900x I need to know what 64g RAM to pair it with.

scanproaudio.info/2019/07/12/amd-ryzen-3600-3700x-3900x-dawbench-tested-3-is-it-the-magic-number/

I’m probably gunna get a 3900X in the next week or so for mixing. I also use a lot of dsp, waves eventide softube uad fabfilter etc. Some of the super heavy load programs like RX AND Zynqptiq are just killing my current pc so want something with real power for my sessions.
For me it’s between the 9900k and the 3900X and considering the DAWbench marks and the buffer rate of my fire face UCX I think it will be amazing, granted anything moving from my 6700k is I’ll be a huge improvement.

I’ve been scouring for info on this topic for the past two months so glad to finally be pulling the trigger.

Also OP, why do you work at 192? I’ve been condsidering nuts switching to it purely for pitching artifacts (lots of sound design). Do you have mics that record high enough to be relevant or is it purely for the ITB tonality? I use freqs well above 20k for tone shelving already I wondered the impacts higher sample rates might have on that stuff, any thoughts?

Also to your original post, I would imagine big the intel and the 3000 series will both be fit for your tasks unless you run at 64 buffer the. Potentially intel has a reason to be better. It’s difficult to get info when the testing world seems to think gaming is ithe most important metric.

yeah, here you go, just as i thought, intel btfo :)
Some setups will favour intel some amd, it's the same as in games i think. I wonder how the massive L3 cache is affecting this.

wait for the 3950x, DAWs actually scale well with more cores

>just wait bro
I’m guessing he doesn’t want to wait two months for a product he needs now. Also not all DAWs scale with core’s well. In fact some DAWs struggle applying high core counts at all and will faulted at higher counts, Although OP using reaper so I guess your right (cuz reaper is brilliant) but that sentence is not true always.
Besides, single core speed is still king in serial processing maybe preceded by latency, Intel has clearly ransacked these stats in the past but now AMD holds its own wel, although the 3900 seems to have issues at 64 buffer size so that should be considered if you work in that realm.
PCIe 4 as well.... damn that shit is gunna be TIGHT, swear that shit was made for audio.

>OP's pic
>record with a mic ripped out of $5 headset
>use Windows Sound Recorder to record each track
>mix by playing tracks back in sync on multiple instances of Sound Recorder on your monitor's built in speakers
>record that using your phone held up to the speaker
>release on tape cassette in 50 copies
>burn some churches
>kill your bandmate
>shoot your face off
>embracing this sky and shining, young boy, you'll become an hero
the only metal way to do it

Attached: windozee.jpg (438x282, 87K)

specally ableton is not optimal on scaling. (or was at least) Reaper seems to kick everyones ass right now in the DAW world. Yeah and about the waiting game. I'm very far from a professtional, but i'm in the game quite a while and i can't image a cpu load that gets bottlenecked by 12 cores and would not by 16. When it comes to 24 threads and you use heavy signal processing and you aren't just loading a lot of midi and audiotracks into ram, you almost certainly are limited by single core speed. maybe recording an orchestra with those TB3 interfaces and 64 inputs.
Playing the waiting game with pc hardware is a thing yes, but i bet you could not tell if you are sitting in front of a 3950x or 3900x while mixing/ mastering

With you 100%. Fuck waiting we will never perceive the difference unless you are recording orchestras in which case your personal machine won’t be in the equation.

If you are mastering and you are needing a powerful pc then you are doing it wrong lol but mixing can go real deep. I personally use ableton and Jesus fucking Christ is it bad at cpu usage but the workflow is amazing.

Both intel and amd current hen products are more than. Good enough.

If you're recording black metal, then you don't need all this shit. Black metal can be done on a potato. My band records on a core 2 quad PC and we're fine.

Here's a recommendation from an actual studio owner, a record producer and a music video producer:
youtu.be/uncK2ghtPtQ
By the way, Ryzens are good for audio production, but everything before that isn't recommended.

Prior to 3000 series there was significant latency I amd products. His 4 year old video is barely relevant. The new benchmarks do however show that amd is a great product.

Whatever, not everyone is made out of money and you certainly don't need the best PC hardware money can buy for audio production anyway. More RAM is recommended, saving on GPU is as well, but getting the best CPU you can afford is what makes the most difference.

>core 2 quad
You might be able to give that computer a cheap CPU upgrade. E5450 xeon mod for 775 socket. Is a beast for oc.

dude, we are answering to a guy who has a 64gb studio pc in his production room and wants a second 64gb pc in his mixing room.

I mean, whatever I didn't pay so much attention, but why even bother asking when you can literally afford the best money can buy?

What is the minimum ram?

>Is Ryzen 3000 good for audio
idk, maybe, maybe not.
just check others who have the same usecase as you and what results they get.

>buying deprecated intel shit
AMD is better

So the 65g studio PC was paid for by six people! We share the recording space and use it to track bands. We have outboard gear, mics, drum sets, various cabs etc.

The mixing PC is going to be for me in my house I just want something that is beastly enough to take whatever I throw at it.

The thing is, all this PC shit I see is for gaming and I don't want to waste my money.