Im new to programming and trying to learn python by reading a on it book but im having a hard time with it cause autism...

im new to programming and trying to learn python by reading a on it book but im having a hard time with it cause autism and i don't like reading is there a better way to learn it

Attached: autism.png (431x440, 432K)

Other urls found in this thread:

safetyresearch.net/blog/articles/toyota-unintended-acceleration-and-big-bowl-“spaghetti”-code
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

one good thing about programming is that you can make mistakes and get instant feedback! so you can just mess around in your ide

You don't like reading because you have autism? or is that just another thing?

If can't read a book how wil you read code?

thanks for the tip user

just another thing

No you should learn to read, but many programmers are boring and retarded. Don't read a quickstart book read something written by someone actually intelligent.

just do cs50. its free online.

Well you can read an introductory book obviously I mean just make sure it's not written by Zed Shaw.

Find a local community college with an intro to programming class. Even if the class isn't taught in Python, it will give you a head start.

Everyone will hate me for saying this but just watch the first python tutorial on youtube, the important thing is to be able to write some code and be proud of something you programmed, even if it is something simpel and small. Then when you are confident about yourself go read some book.

To eleborate, it is import to see how easy it actually is, so just take some simple youtube beginners tutorial.

Use PHP. You don't even have to learn it. It makes sense and is easy to write scripts using examples from the help pages.

No don't just go do something else because you find this hard, you want to learn python so learn python. Don't jump from language to language, learn the first one you think about.

just watch tutorials online, it should be faster than books, If you want general understanding in computer science then search in youtube CS50. If you want direct guidance on Python then just look for tutorials, I recommend Derek Banas on youtube.com/user/derekbanas

This is bad advice OP. PHP has serious design flaws that have been the origin of real-world disasters, especially because the world is full of PHP programmers who think they don't have to learn how to program. If it's someone's favorite language, usually it's because that person doesn't know any others.

Being autistic only helps you.
If you have trouble reading then find out how to improve your focus. You have Google at your disposal. Enjoy.

I've never read a programming book straight through and I get along just fine. It can certainly be done, and if reading is not the most natural way that your brain wants to learn, then don't force it, because your progress will only be slower.

PHP is great for people who can't learn complicated languages, like OP. I have autism too and I struggle with learning languages. There's no way I can memorize all that shit. With PHP once you've trialed and errored a few example scripts you can pretty much do anything by piecing together other peoples code and examples. PHP is about understanding the concept of programming and the overview of ideas and how to make something work. Every other programming language is absolute shit because they are all about memorizing by rote every name of every function and adhering to some 1970s neckbeards idea of perfect code.

Also you want to learn pure PHP, not HTML mixed PHP. You're not making web pages you are writing code, and pure PHP is just as versatile as python. Preferably PHP version 5 or below (version 7 is stuffed full of the same garbage as other languages).

I literally cannot imagine having trouble with understanding python. It's literally the default babby language, you just write out exactly what you want and it works, no worrying about types or anything. I mean, unless it's your first programming language and you don't know loops and functions and stuff.

"Fake it till you make it" is a totally valid way to learn a language, and I've done that many times. Other languages are equally learnable this way.

I have trouble learning languages from books too, that's why I suggested taking a community college class. Having an actual teacher makes a huge difference, and once you've learned one language, it's easier to sort of muddle through another language until you've learned it properly as well.

Obviously no one can keep an entire language memorized. I still frequently have to google how some common functions work for languages I have 15+ years of experience with. This is normal. PHP makes this worse with its inconsistent conventions that require more memorization.

Your concerns are completely valid, but I can tell you from personal experience that there are ways around them with other languages. It definitely can be done, I am living proof.

What I have a real problem with is your apparent contempt for the concept of code quality. It actually matters. Bad code killed 189 people in the Lion Air crash.

I just hope never to rely on something you've written. I hope your code never touches passwords, payment details, personal information, or anything that actually matters.

safetyresearch.net/blog/articles/toyota-unintended-acceleration-and-big-bowl-“spaghetti”-code

Code quality comes later, when you have some idea of what you are doing and how to do it. Shoving code quality down learners throats just turns them off from programming. And I'd argue that quality code doesn't necessarily mean adhering to established "good practice" all the time. A goto loop is perfectly okay in some contexts.

Agree 100% with everything in this post. I'm pro-goto and I understand that everyone has to start somewhere.

But first of all, it's good to start thinking about quality as early as you can manage, because it's a good habit and a good mental discipline.

Second of all, it's valid to criticize PHP itself for its poor quality. It makes the language less usable. A good language has some set of tradeoffs that makes it fit into some kind of niche. PHP has pitfalls and gotchas that are commonly sources of bugs and frustration. So does C, but at least with C you're getting performance in exchange for that. PHP offers nothing in exchange. I prefer drawbacks that came from thoughtful consideration and weight pros vs cons. Drawbacks that come purely from incompetence are just frustrating.

Also, the design of the language itself might be the first piece of software architecture a beginner even encounters. Better to present good examples up front than bad ones.

I think everything you said is correct, but this guy seems to write off other languages than PHP because code quality was even on their designers' radar, and he has contempt for code quality as a concept.

>I have trouble learning languages from books too, that's why I suggested taking a community college class. Having an actual teacher makes a huge difference, and once you've learned one language, it's easier to sort of muddle through another language until you've learned it properly as well.

In my experience, the professors/teachers just regurgitate stuff from the books.

>A goto loop is perfectly okay in some contexts.

I don't see what's the deal with hating on goto loops. At the machine level, loops are made from goto's (jump statements). If people keep tripping on their own code, they shouldn't be programming anyway.

Sometimes that's still better than reading directly. If you have a question or you need clarity on something, you can just ask instead of flipping through the book and trying to find an answer. Saves a ton of time. You can get feedback on your work, which is hugely important. Hearing it out loud instead of reading, you can also process the information with a different part of your brain, which might work out better for you.

CS degrees are mostly a meme, but having a real flesh-and-blood teacher to help you get started makes a big difference.

Find a tutorial on hello world and follow it through.
Find a tutorial on conditional operators and follow it through. Find a tutorial on functions, etc. When you think you have a decent understanding of the syntax, start a small project, even if is little more than a wrapper for some libraries. That's how my first real project went.
You will get stuck. That's part of the fun. You'll have to learn how to work around your issues, be creative, and scour the internet for solutions to similar problems, then adapt them to your issue. Don't be afraid to be verbose in your code. Its better to have 100 lines of code that work than 20 lines that are a mess. Python is a language for learning