Anyone else like the design of old Optiplexes? I really like the industrial-esque looking aesthetic

anyone else like the design of old Optiplexes? I really like the industrial-esque looking aesthetic.

Attached: optiplex.jpg (500x500, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=i5AcC0YgwH8
shopgoodwill.com/Item/71690740
shopgoodwill.com/Item/71749559
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Am I a boomer now that these are the "old" optiplex designs?

I use a 7010 MT as my main desktop.
Great machine. Does everything I need it to do. Super reliable, great looking. Only pain in the ass was finding a suitable PSU replacement.

idk, now they look like this (pic related) which imo looks like complete shite
nice, i use a 990, think yours is like a year or two newer.

Attached: 7060.jpg (2400x1800, 359K)

Yep, that's correct. 990 was released in 2011, I believe. Another gorgeous machine. Actually prefer the design to my 7010. Hard to believe we're nearing the decade anniversary for these.
Replace any hardware on your box or are you still running vanilla/stock?

>Replace any hardware on your box or are you still running vanilla/stock?
upgraded ram to 16 GB and added a 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD. Stock it had 8GB ram and 500GB hard drive

You mean professional looking, no bullshit designs? No, user, nobody on Jow Forums likes that

well idk it seems like a lot of people like this retarded shit (pic)

Attached: HP-OMEN-Desktop-2017r-Preview-1.jpg (640x427, 44K)

Not really. My office still uses 7010s with this design, and 7020 SFF units that are the same thing shrunk down a bit. They're not all getting replaced until three years from now.

I use one as my daily driver

Attached: 1505674137250.jpg (2448x3264, 879K)

by some people's standards 2011/2012 is old, i guess it just depends who you ask
Nice, I can't really tell but is that a 790? What upgrades have you made to it?

I can't remember what model it is but I slammed a graphics card in it

Attached: IMG_20170924_153302.jpg (3264x2448, 1.19M)

nice, i see that ssd just laying there as well kek

I like the SFF versions. Small, yet capable.

Attached: IMG_20190606_133238437.jpg (3264x1632, 1.06M)

Is that a proprietary DVD drive? Or just a laptop DVD drive?

that's the USFF. The SFF is (pic related).
They're both nice, especially if they have an i7 like yours, but there's no way to get a gpu in there and they use mini-itx power supplies.

Attached: 9010sff.jpg (425x425, 15K)

looks like just a laptop size one. I dunno why that's the case on a full size tower. Another reason newer Optiplexes are shit.

Where my opticucks at?
You're posting the mini tower.

Attached: optiplex-desktop-7010-overview3.jpg (356x361, 55K)

Desktop* I mean.
Weird form factor names.

oh right yeah DT i'm fucken stupid
forgot the designations for a sec you're right

get a mini tower and put in a

They're magnets for dirt and dust.

Bought a bunch of cheap quad core SFF ones and they are max comfy.

Attached: 1539903797951.jpg (612x612, 55K)

My job uses the 7020s as PoS Terminals at their stores

i'm more of a xps kinda guy

Attached: dell_xps_8300_788982_g1.jpg (606x403, 24K)

that sexy gamecom though. I wish any of their current headsets (or literally any wireless headset) was as comfy, mine finally had the headband snap

Currently running a 7010 as my daily. A friend gave me a bunch of parts so I put the mobo from the 7010 in the riced out case. Just werkz

Attached: 22.jpg (1980x740, 480K)

I thought the motherboards had proprietary hole mount positions, but I guess they are standardized. Decent way to solve the high temps and poor ventilation problems that optiplexes have.

Fuck yeah, my gayman daily driver is an Optiplex 790 i5 2400 that cost me 25 bucks. I also have a SFF Optiplex 990 i7 2600 with a low-profile GT 1030 for the road, and it actually does not suck.
Sandy Bridge 4eva

Attached: gt1030-02G-P4-6332-KR.png (887x545, 161K)

The company I work for deploys the 7020s as PoS terminals

Yes

Attached: optiplex_farm.jpg (2285x1714, 1.07M)

I put a real power supply in mine, it's got a 1050Ti (IDGAF about the 144/1440 meme). I also found a drive bracket that fits two laptop drives into a single 3.5" bracket, so it's got 250SSD plus a 1TB laptop drive that I pulled from an old Uverse TV box, both in the same bracket.
One of the cool things about those 2011-2012 era Optiplexes is that most of them have a W7Pro COA sticker, unless you got it through someone who wasted the time to install Win10 and slapped a refurb COA over it.

The hardest thing I did was chasing down a working USB 2.0 card, since Win7 doesn't really support USB 3.0. When adding cameras and other crap for streaming, you start to run out of USB ports and bandwidth (so hubs won't cut it). The 2.0 boards are usually classic PCI and there's one of those on the mobo.

Switch to a mouth fedora, smokefag.

That's almost as comfy as a stack of mac minis is to a macfag.

Attached: 1347506707941.png (1000x500, 408K)

Since we're working on getting rid of Windows 7 I have two closets full of these things. What can I do to put the old gals to good use?

we still use these at work. IT still pushes them out, just upgrades the hdd to an ssd and loads Windows Ten in place of 7. I use the sff 7020 at work.

Did Jow Forums actually run off a fucking iMac mini cluster? Those look like core 2 duo.

it looks like it belongs more on a rack in a server room than on a desktop

Reporting for duty

Incorrect. Rocking a 4 GB 1050 ti low profile card in my i7 2600 990 SFF, also put in 16 GB of RAM and a Crucial MX500.

Runs Cities Skylines flawlessly.

forgot Speccy

Attached: le maymay optiplex 990.png (408x354, 17K)

Do you need a SATA splitter if you have two drives or can you just use the cable that goes to the disk drive?

They each connect to SATA ports on the motherboard, dumbass. You know, with a wire? This isn't some gay ass slot-in server frame, it's just no-screws rails.

I never implied it slotted into the frame. I asked if I could take the SATA connection that goes off from the main SATA cable going to the disc drive and use it to connect another hard drive.

The alternative is something like Dell SATA Power Splitter Cable N701D but I don't want to buy that shit.

I prefer the thinkstation design

Attached: downloadfile-10.jpg (912x1164, 201K)

Anyway, it looks like you can. Thanks for the help, you fucking asshole.

youtube.com/watch?v=i5AcC0YgwH8

What, split the data cable? That doesn't make sense. Did you mean power? Then why didn't you fucking say power, and it's got the old-school 4-pin power plugs so it's like asking if you can hook up two sprinklers to a garden hose, yes you just use the standard adapters.
And I was talking about a mini-tower anyhow, so why are you showing me a video of someone replacing the optical drive with a drive adapter in an SFF?

>only one handle
Looks like macfags BTFO again!

Attached: 1562073307444.jpg (1500x1000, 609K)

You just want to admit you completely misread my post and are a contrarian retard so we can skip this argument and you pretending you don't understand what a SATA cable is?

You also wasted money buying a PSU when any 255 watt plus SFF or mini tower PSU can run the 1050ti without any issue, but that's beside the point.

>implying nothing else is going into the box

>>implying nothing else is going into the box
Yes, or at least nothing that would need a PSU upgrade.

Attached: 139204514713.jpg (3270x3162, 1.17M)

Flip your PSU dude, that's why there are holes in the bottom of your case

OP here, I fell asleep so that's cool this thread is still up
that's fine, to each their own i guess
that's max comfy
that's why i like it. The professional looking design.
Oh right. I forgot about those low profile cards.
disagree, but if you like it that's fine.
yep that's me.

Attached: manyoptiplexes.jpg (500x500, 49K)

Attached: lenovo_thinkstation_p300_30ah004mus_tower_1130914.jpg (1000x1000, 120K)

That actually looks pretty nice, user. Imo it looks better than this lenovo

my daily driver. got it for 300 bucks including screen, keyboard and mouse. upgraded the ram to 28gb, top comfy.

Sounds comfy to me. Did you put any gpu or ssd in there, or just upgrade the ram?

i left the two 500gb hdd inside, it just werks. some 3gb geforce was already inside, works well enough for my needs.

For those in or near Austin, go to the Discount Electronics on Anderson Lane, they have pallets of stacks of all kinds of Optiplex in the store. It's so kino, they've got more Dells than Dell because they have so many old models. I guess they buy out all the used post-lease Dells that they can.

nice, if you don't need an ssd, you don't need an ssd. Lucky it had a card in it already
I live nowhere close to Austin, but that's pretty cool anyway

got one for 8 years not a single glutch

>There's no way to get a GPU in there
I got a 1050ti in it. Waiting on the 1650 release.
Also managed to fit a 4TB 3.5 inch with a 256GB M.2 SSD.
My thermals are in the 50s idle though.

Attached: IMG_20190713_164442136.jpg (3840x1920, 2.13M)

The new full tower Optiplexes also has the mini tower PSU which makes it useless as compared to the mini tower itself

A year ago we bought a few used 7010 sf's. I'm kind of disappointed now because we a actually had a lot of issues with those (more than with other used PCs) like broken ram slots, broken power buttons, broken fans etc

>When one botnet is not enough

>my uni wont sell them to students
fucking jews i swear

Attached: images.png (213x236, 7K)

>got one for 8 years not a single glutch
nice, I only had a few hiccups with mine, but nothing major.
>I got a 1050ti in it. Waiting on the 1650 release.
Also managed to fit a 4TB 3.5 inch with a 256GB M.2 SSD.
My thermals are in the 50s idle though.
Yeah I forgot about the low profile cards
>The new full tower Optiplexes also has the mini tower PSU which makes it useless as compared to the mini tower itself
Yep. New ones are shit.
A year ago we bought a few used 7010 sf's. I'm kind of disappointed now because we a actually had a lot of issues with those (more than with other used PCs) like broken ram slots, broken power buttons, broken fans etc
Hmmm. Maybe they were just treated roughly.
>my uni wont sell them to students fucking jews i swear
That's pretty fucking stupid. Maybe there's another surplus store in your area, user.

it's not personal you fool

they'd just rather sell everything in bulk to one buyer instead of selling them piecemeal to students

Had these guys back in college

Attached: 02E39B81-813D-43C8-B98F-5CCB6BDB800D.jpg (300x300, 9K)

It's obvious they took a page out of Apple's catalogue but it's a nice touch

Attached: apple-mac-pro-cheese-grater-meme-1024x576.jpg (1024x576, 119K)

>1000W
Hope you have that thing bolted down

Somewhat related; I really like the look of thin clients. There's just something about those little things that I really like, especially the ones with the little pcie slot. Yeah I know laptops are more practical and ITX pcs are more powerful but I'm still thinking of picking one up just to play around with.

Those things were everywhere from 2003 to 2010.

>that pic
>"""old""" optiplex
nah you mean pic related

Attached: optiplex.png (870x198, 173K)

Boomer detected.

>boomers at work still have only just decided to start getting rid of 780s

My uni just put em all out in the dumpster. I use them for makeshift shelving instead of cinder blocks. Of course they're p3/p4 like

yeah this is how it works
like 13-15 years ago i got like 20 gx 260 / gx 280 from a local school at an auction pretty cheap..
no hard drives in them but a lot of them had cpu/fans/mobo/ram/connectors/optical-drives/etc so i think it was worth it.
i sold most of the parts and used some for repairs and on occasion still use the case fans and the other few things that weren't propiretary dell garbage.
nowadays most companies just lease PCs or throw them away.
or even funnier, when a company my friend used to work at moved buildings, they just left a buch of them at the old one. didnt bother moving shit from the storage rooms lol.

based clampshell case poster
fuckin' dell man. glad shit has gotten better.

Attached: gx280.jpg (919x694, 100K)

>nice, if you don't need an ssd, you don't need an ssd. Lucky it had a card in it already
yeah, totally. i would install a new ssd, but the hdds are still fine and i don't need the extra space, so no need to waste money on this.

Oh, Optiplex users of the world
Unite and take over
Optiplex users of the world
Hand it over
Hand it over
Hand it over
Learn to love me
And assemble the ways
Now, today, tomorrow, and always

I recently bought an Optiplex 990 MT, wasn't able to get one with i7 so i got a i5 instead. Does it make a lot of difference in these models?

God these sucked major ass

I have one and it's really solid. Really good temps too. Only issue is that I broke off the plastic/metal pci door/latch on the back so I hope it doesn't interfere with adding a GPU. The pci slot is fine though.

You may just be able to screw it in place. I believe there's a hole there that the latch would have fit into.

Just remember you need a low profile GPU for the SFF, if you have one. Nothing else will fit unless you keep the cover off of it.

What about these?

Attached: gx110.jpg (700x525, 24K)

Holy shit that was my first Desktop and left it to rot somewhere. I had no idea it was an Optiplex.

can you buy any of these enclosures, second hand.

planning to stick a r5 3600 into one and do a sleeper build.

For me, it's Fujitsu.

Attached: 71L0qT1eZuL._SL1500_.jpg (1125x1500, 149K)

Build a cluster, user

no. 4c4t

shopgoodwill.com/Item/71690740
shopgoodwill.com/Item/71749559
etc

the new precisions are honestly pretty fucking great boxes
wish i could nab one for a personal server

Attached: file.png (844x668, 465K)

I too love the Fujitsu paunch

>TFW no Optiplex GF
IT HURTS

Attached: d8df256344c390599a9cea61cd52.jpg (2560x2138, 406K)

Oh I have a tower so size is fine. I've used my PC without the pci cover and it works fine. It shouldn't be a problem fitting the card in without the black plastic cover on the back of the case. Ive seen modded cases with the entire GPU exposed.

>when your eyes are drawn to the model number

lol

I'm running a very similar config. Though the case is not Dell, but a strangely similar looking one.
Nice monitor tho

Attached: T310-.jpg (900x600, 73K)

What case is that?

It's some OEM PC, says "Aquarius Pro P30 S67" on the sticker. Got it with Intel DQ67SW mobo. I wonder if it has very similar design to Dell's (grey mesh in front) because the case it made in same chinese sweatshop or something