171 days until Windows 7 goes End of Life. What the fuck do we do...

171 days until Windows 7 goes End of Life. What the fuck do we do? Ignore the need for security updates and bloat up some anti-virus? Go for linux and lose half your applications and get drivers a million years late? Change to fucking MacOs?

You will never convince me to use Windows 10 bloatshit even with all the cancer turned off because there are a million and one ways Microshit aims to turn it back on. Are there enthusiasts who will maintain updates for it after the fact? What are the majority of companies avoiding Windows 10 going to do?

HELP

Attached: win7.jpg (1280x800, 132K)

just don't do nothin

>lose half your applications
which applications will you lose? i'm not asking because i expect to convince you to switch to Linux—genuinely just wondering. (Photoshop (etc.) have no adequate replacements on Linux, for example; Krita's focus is elsewhere and GIMP is a (bad) joke.)

GNUfag here, we've been warning you about vendor lock in for decades, and only now you realize that Microsoft is holding all your applications hostage?

Attached: Tux_Enhanced.svg.png (154x180, 20K)

As if win7 didnt have spyware out the ass. Stop being a whiny little cunt and either

A) fucking deal with it
B) fucking update to 10
C) switch OS and stfu

now go dilate you retarded useless sack of whiny shit

I haven't updated Windows 7 since 2009 and I've never had a virus. I'm literally using the original pre-SP1 version with no updates. Shit just works. I see no reason to "upgrade" to Spydows 10, now or in the future.

>What are the majority of companies avoiding Windows 10 going to do?
Fucking none of them if they value security at all. Place I work is migrating to Windows 10 currently.

>I've never had a virus
;-)

>and I've never had a virus.
lucky you all viruses announce their presence with a large flashy textbox. Would be unfair if they didn't tell you about their presence xD!!

I have been using Linux on my servers for the past two years so when support ends I'll just install Ubuntu and use GPU passthrough when I need someone that's exclusive to Windows.

Attached: 1562373312622.png (434x551, 171K)

>le gimp is bad meme
works for me and has worked fine for years
the software is free as in freedom, if you want to see it improve then pay someone to work on it

Video Games
>Wow what a faggot

I know, but they are used for maintaining social contacts and relationships, and are generally too niche to be supported by emulation.

Some obscure applications that I could probably find a replacement for if I looked hard enough, the main complaint is hardware drivers coming late and restricting upgrade capability.

If I switched I would be running a VM or passthrough to do various things but I want something better because troubleshooting drivers and emulations is basically the same shit work as de-cancering Windows 10 every quarterly update.

Can't get a virus if the code you run is so old all modern calls have not been implemented.

Attached: rollsafe.jpg (680x389, 24K)

>What the fuck do we do?
This:
>Go for linux and lose half your applications and get drivers a million years late?

Except it's not even closely as bad as you paint it to be. Just accept that things are going to change and you're gonna have to make minor sacrifices. You'll soon get used to it, and after that you'll have an OS that'll basically never go away and is better than Windows in so many respects.

Dual boot (with SSD and hibernation it's really fast) or have 2 computers or a console

Proprietary video games are not advisable as a tool to maintain social contacts and relationships. It will always end poorly when you entrust your social life to game developers who are more interested in the contents of your wallet than in your wellbeing.

I am going from 10 to 7 in a few weeks. Ryzen 3000 works. Just use a Linux dual boot for important shit. Only a retard uses windows even with updates for anything important like bitcoin wallets, bank logins ect.

I do have two SSDs that would make it easy to do and a bunch of portable storage for less important things. I'm just whining about the Jews making me do extra work to use a computer.

Option 1. Marathon upgrade from 7 > 8 > 8.1 to retain your settings.

Option 2. Fresh install of 8.1.

Why do people pretend like Win8 doesn't exist? And that stupid start screen can easily be disabled to bring your right to the desktop on boot. Windows 8.1 will keep you up-to-date on security until the end of 2023. Hopefully by then, Microsoft backtracks on the Windows as a Service model and de-fucks Win10.

I actually work in IT.

We will switch to Windows 10. No need to avoid it in our case..

The actual problem is the drop of software support that will occur like it happened with XP in 2014. Again 7 isn't in the same situation as XP was. It's still used by at least 30-40% of Windows users and it isn't as dated as XP was.

10 wouldn't be so bad if you could disable the bloat and botnet stuff at least. I also hate how unnecessary 'complicated' the UI looks like 10 has a settings menu and a control panel at the same time.

and??

quicken
CAD stuff
any support for iphones whatsoever

hear hear, windows 7 for life

Attached: SPECS.png (646x575, 53K)

8.1 with some Classic Shell or Open-Shell is basically like 7 but with some improvements.

The only problem with 8.1 is the lack of driver support sometimes I believe. AMD doesn't deliver any drivers for their GPUs anymore but some people claim the 7 ones work just fine as well but then again people had some issues with that as well I heard.

Post milkers

If you're a business you upgrade or you get hacked. If you're a home user you do nothing just don't click suspicious links.

if half your applications don't run on Linux then they are proprietary and malicious. You shouldn't be using them.

Why so angry, fren

Attached: file.png (225x225, 50K)

If your company cared about security it would update and keep with security patches.

> I see no reason to "upgrade" to Spydows 10, now or in the future.
You know that Windows 7 can spy on you as well. I hope your paranoid /x/ ass took the time to block every Microshaft IP and DNS.

ofcourse you are. that ryzen piece of shit can't even run windows 10.

cope

>Hopefully by then, Microsoft backtracks on the Windows as a Service model and de-fucks Win10.
user, now you're just being plain silly!

>What the fuck do we do?
Nothing. My installation is so out of date, I haven't even gotten a warning. I'll switch to Linux once applications actually drop support for Windows 7 and it becomes practically unuseable like Windows XP in recent years, but it's gonna be another five to eight years until that point.

Attached: Untitled.png (566x263, 15K)

>Ryzen 3 1300X litterly beats out an i7-4770
stay salty incel

Attached: incel-npc.png (807x745, 173K)

the vast, vast majority of humans do not care whether software is proprietary

Ryzen is designed for Windows 10 retard, you need to fiddle with things to make Windows 7 accept it

Embrace freedom. Embrace having control over your operating system. Embrace being able to compile packages and kernel updates yourself and therefore not being beholden to some company's whims. Embrace GNU/Linux.

Then that is a serious problem that needs to be addressed, because all their social relationships are being harmed.

>still clinging on to a deprecated OS (Windows 7)
>muh aero glass

Attached: 1536609717981.png (626x966, 195K)

t. NPC zoomer

do people actually still have problems removing bloat and security holes from win10?

>171 days until Windows 7 goes End of Life

End of Life? What brand of crack are you smoking? I guarantee you that no one at Microsoft ever officially used that phrase.

On Jan 14, 2020, Microsoft is ending official support for Windows 7. Windows 7 will continue to work.

I am a Windows Sysadmin. Official support for Server 2003R2 ended on July 14, 2015. However, I, and my employer, still had 2003R2 servers running until some time in 2017.

>still have problems removing bloat and security holes from win10
lulz are you fokn serious m8? check out the nt-lite or msmg tooklit forums. tons of shit reverts to default or gets reinstalled after a windows update. the OS itself *is* bloat and security holes. cleaning up the install image only marginally helps, but you basically have to never update if you want shit to stay debloated. even the pro version is crippled like this.

...guys. I looked into it, and maybe a type 2 hypervisor is best to run applications like the web browser.

cope

not even close
shit bait

Tried running Morrowind the other day on my old machine.
Turns out you can't run certain games on Windows 7 anymore without tweaks because they shut down the web service that Windows 7 Games Explorer was talking to all this time (behind your back).
luddites btfo

You have two options:
>Ignore everything and keep using win7. Pros: nothing changes
Cons: no more security updates against various exploits. Most programs will lose support over time. All new programs will not be compatible after the End of Life.
>Install any non-meme Linux
Pros: the sooner you do it the faster you'll learn how to feel comfortable and do the things you did before.
Cons: Things are different -> you need to re-learn almost everything, which will take your time.

>you'll never convince me
Low IQ hipsters.

Attached: bait_.png (360x361, 17K)

Probably just move to Windows 8.1 (I assume there's a DazLoader equivalent for it) until that goes EoL and then after that either move to Linux or Windows 10.

Go try it yourself. Any game that is recognized by Games Explorer will hang indefinitely on Windows 7 while gameux.dll tries to contact Microsoft's now nonexistent servers in a busy loop.
I assume they will hotfix at some point but it's still pretty funny that things broke this way. Just goes to show that you can't always count old software to keep working properly.

I'd use Windows 10 if they didn't get rid of classic theme and force vsync

10 is trash

I've been saying this every time someone tells me I'm using an outdated or end of life OS because I'm fucking tired of hearing it
the "support" from microsoft is fucking nothing. I have windows updates turned off because common sense is the strongest antivirus and microsoft now puts spyware and security updates in the same package. it going end of life is a myth
don't worry about shit because even if you time traveled a decade or two forward with your machine, it would still work, your machine isn't reliant on the current year, you just might not be able to play the newest AAA titles because they're win10 exclusive
in other words the only support you need to worry about is third party from new hardware and new software (and new games)

>biting because you may actually be this handicapped
no games should show up in there because you disabled it like a sane person, hell it even wanted me to set it up BECAUSE I'VE NEVER OPENED IT BEFORE. just downloaded and launched morrowwind. no problems. been playing older games all the time no problems. autistic loonix fags like yourself need to be gassed, you cant even use a desktop environment properly.

Attached: Capture.png (1198x858, 70K)

iPhag detected.
Enjoy being spied on for life.
Based

How would you even get a virus with noscript/ublock on without downloading suspect exes from boomer websites?

>Windows XP
>Unusable
Pic one. I'm still plenty able to use Office 2003 with compatibility pack for modern Office versions on my R51, while still accessing the internet through MyPal to reap the benefits of modern browsing and playing all the games I enjoy playing (which I do so rarely because I'm a mature adult).

you don't

XP has network access rootkits
anyone on the same wifi would be able to access your computer easily
presumably W7 will get the same or worse

>he doesn't use Linux Mint with a virtualized Win8.1 in a GPU passthrough setup to retain 99% of his native speed

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFF

Sandboxie.

Attached: FrontPageAnimation.gif (444x283, 30K)

What if we get a law passed forcing microsoft to support windows 7 until 2050. It's our only chance.

This should be good enough for security as long as you are not on a lan.

Where an infected machine can infect others on the same LAN.

last virus i got was in 2009. noscript/umatrix + ublock is good

Use Win 7 as is.
As soon as ReactOS gets UEFI support, steal the vga.sys to make win7 work on modern UEFI class 3 system

Just use windows server 2019

Linux PC. Beef up your ram and hardware and run Win10 VM for programs that don't run in wine.
Can always dual boot if games don't run well in VM and you can't live without.

I think it's the only solution because a linux host can sandbox all your data away from (((Microsoft))).

omg in 171 days it will self destruct!!! ahhh!!! what can we do now but use common sense!!!! ahh!!!

doubt

Attached: kaz.png (1076x1105, 3.02M)

People still on windows 7 have dementia induced paranoia.

i bet you own an apple phone and use google chrome

>Office 2003
Arguably the last good offce, since 2007 introduced the ribbon. I was using 2003 until I saw a thread about some user using office 95, so I got curious:
The oldest 32bit (so it will run on modern machnes without DOSbox) office is Office for NT 4.2. It has 32 bit versions of Word 6 and Excel 5. (The included PowerPoint 4 is sadly only 16bit). To my surprise, they work perfectly fine on Windows 7, and can open ddocuments made in office 2003 without a problem. There are something missing, like WordArt in Word, but most things are pretty much the same.
The only thing I missed was using the mouse wheel for scrolling. I guess mouse wheels just weren't a thing back in the day.

doesn't Clementine support iStuff?

Proton is pretty good not to mention its just wine so if you are even half technically literate you can get your game to work some anticheats block like eac at that point you can just bypass them and you good.

So is the idea you're hiding from the governments? Marketing? What? I know there's no real response but I hope anyone reading this doesn't find it rational to use 10 year old systems.

i don't really want to argue with a brainlet
not only will your mind not change but it's not worth changing, enjoy giving up your privacy to corporations and the government while using an OS that is literally worse in nearly every way

Worse like removing Hal for better portability, or things like Hyper-V and storage spaces. Windows sub system for Linux, all downgrades. 1903 is really good you should give it a try vs subscribing to edgy memes and thinking you're a tortured genius.

Also let me add my Microsoft employee ID at the end of my shill post so I can get my rupes ID#38264829

I will keep using it
Win32 API won't change drastically like XP to 10

>Dude bro just keep installing OS with increasingly obscured and malicious software environments.
>Just trust me you dumb fuck.

i already installed xp

XUBUNTU LTS
you can run most of your shit with wine shit.exe

I've been using W7 since it became a thing, and the last time I let a system update happen was SP1 - the whole stealth downloading W10 thing really put me off the system altogether. Not a lot of fun needing to run third-party software to make the official OS services a little less malicious.
I use W10 LTSC on my laptop due to hardware compatibility and decrappifying it was an uphill struggle I'm nowhere near ready to repeat if I ever need to upgrade or replace my desktop hardware. Honestly not too sure what I'll do if something happens and I'm forced to change. Find what'll eventually be legacy hardware to keep reinstalling W7? Maybe.

>171 days until Windows 7 goes End of Life

No

Attached: winCdfew.jpg (1184x315, 47K)

You do realise Windows 7 is also spyware, right?

>Talking about Linux drivers
>Not an idiot

WSL is open source dawg

I mean, it's proprietary and all, but nowhere near as bad as Windows 10.

Well, 8.1 with classic shell is another choice if you'd ever want to update from Windows 7.

>still clinging on to a deprecated OS (Windows 7)
>muh aero glass
Who gives a fuck? No one actually cares about that. What people care about is choosing the lesser evil and not throwing away usable and working hardware just for a newer operating system that's a downgrade in almost all ways possible.

>Things are different -> you need to re-learn almost everything, which will take your time.
No, you don't really. Have you seen Windows 10's control panel? That's just atrocious. No settings menu on Linux is that cluttered and unorganized. Software is installed far easier than on Windows, just from a package manager. Browsing and playing music/video is what most people really do om their computers and it's not any different on Linux.

>control panel
You don't have to use the control panel for much. Everything's right-click.

inb4 someone rips the updates and shares them
Micro$haft done goofed

Windows 10 is an upgrade in almost every direction, the only issue is that it is Windows, and Windows spies on you and yes this is more pronounced in later versions.

But the only reason to run Windows is games and some exclusive software, which all run better on Windows 10. Why aren't you running the best version of Windows yet? If you're going to embrace the botnet do it entirely, none of this half-assed shit I see from Win7 users.

you can use all this crap in virtual machine, with windows 10 ltsc

>the only issue is
There are a ton of problems with Windows 10.

>telemetry
>live testing features
>rolling out poorly tested patches
>frequent forced updates
>rolling telemetry into security updates
>the attempt to force tie-ins with an online account
>an utterly worthless store system
>ads in the start menu
>search results can't be limited to on-disk
>piss poor scaling handling, although, I will credit it as better than previous versions

It's ironic that Gabe wanted to escape Microsoft, because Microsoft are now making all of the same stupid errors like live testing patches that Valve have been making for fucking years.

basically all your critique revolves around Windows telemetry, which shouldn't be a problem for Windows users. You are exchanging money and your privacy for an operating system. This has always been the case with Windows, what's the point of complaining about it now?