/spg/ - Smartphone General

fuck the glass meme edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget, and size.

Good Resources:
>Reviews, Specs, Comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency Checker
kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker
frequencycheck.com
willmyphonework.net

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual Phone Size Comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Recommended Chinkphones
pastebin.com/sQbs83pY

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

Previous thread

Attached: 1563054778265.jpg (600x600, 311K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=40W5RWk4BUM
youtu.be/wHSLxNBJzcg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>ahhh, back when smartphones used to be good...

Attached: iu[1].jpg (736x840, 89K)

what is the ideal upgrade from the xiaomi note 5 pro? Also, whats wrong with samsung? Too expensive for poor students?

Pocophone is nice too, solid plastic construction is the way to go imo
I don't get what the advantage of glass is, it's retarded
>what is the ideal upgrade from the xiaomi note 5 pro?
Redmi Note 7
>Also, whats wrong with samsung? Too expensive for poor students?
you get less value compared to Xiaomi

Attached: pocof1-blk-1.jpg (1200x1200, 99K)

Come home, White man.

Attached: 61oo9+rTi+L._SL1000_.jpg (1000x1000, 72K)

for 100€ less it'd be good

typing on glass is whack, having a dedicated input zone and direct feedback for every action is where its at. i can't go back to normal smartphones now. relying on visual stimuli for input is straight up a sucker's move and its no surprise apple came up with it

Attached: blackberry-key2-hands-on-typing-email-720x720.jpg (720x480, 45K)

any recommendations for me?

1. use with plex (audiobooks mainly)
2. vodafone carrier in portugal
3. google maps, uber
4. voice recorder perhaps
5. just want it to be fast, cheap and not run out of space all the time

Moto g7 power.

Whatever. Enjoy paying $600 for a fucking Snapdragon 660, mediocre cameras, a 4.5" inch screen with Gorila Glass 3... God, this is approaching Apple levels of rip off.

Redmi note 7

Redmi Note 7

the key2 is straight up overpriced but they charge that premium because they are the only company selling a product like that and they sell them in bulk to corporate enterprise. the keyone goes for less than $200 which is pretty decent.

if you use your phone to play games or watch movies its clearly not good for those things but i don't. they offer a very different user experience and i much prefer it over normal androids

Just fucking buy the Redmi Note 7 doesn't matter what your budget is just get it motherfuckee

>redmi note 7 doesnt support B28
What is a similar phone that does?

how good does it run star ocean and elder scrolls? I just wanna know before I get a Mi Pad 4

Why doesn't it have an OLED panel? Would make it the perfect phone.

Attached: asus-zenfone-6-front-back-1500x1001.jpg (1500x1001, 126K)

Glass just feels and looks nicer than plastic. Or more "expensive", at the very least.

It also allows wireless charging unlike metal bodies, this is part of the reason why the switch has been so big in high end phones.

I like my plastic pocomeme, but DESU I always use cases anyway. Don't really care whats underneath.

Attached: ringke.jpg (800x930, 50K)

is wireless charging impossible through plastic?

No, plastic does allow it.

So I want next phone after my Axon 7. The battery is fucked to the point of it being unusable if it's less than 50%. I don't wanna replace it just want a new phone. Things i want:

-screen size no more than 6"
-stereo speakers - it's not a must but axon 7 had a really nice design with those combined with aluminum vs all modern phones that look almost the same
-somewhat decent music quality

price, idk really just suggest me something

It can be (slightly) used or new

I'm from Poland so i guess i'm looking for a phone with european bands

Mi 9 SE if you can live without a headphone jack

Which current Xiaomi phones have a no-nonsense stock ROM?

Friend of mine has to get rid of an old ass iPhone 6S Plus, she ain't savvy and just wants something that works and works fast, but she's easily annoyed by ads. Doesn't like the idea of unlocking any bootloaders.

Jow Forumsuys please help me is it worth getting the iphone xr???????? in 2019 plz tell me

I don't know man, I really don't know. But I wish I could help you. Sorry.

I can help you. It's not worth getting the iphone xr. Have a pleasant day!

OLED is crap. LCD is better.

Almost pulled the trigger on the mi 9 SE yesterday, but noticed the mi 8 is practically at about the same price.

Any reason to pick the 9 SE instead of the 8? The mi 8 seems better on paper, even if it's slightly too big imo.

Also can we expect discounts on xiaomeme phones for prime day?

>notch and spyware

yeah no thanks

my next phone is on the mail and is ips lcd, why an amoled wouldn't be better?

I really want to buy this phone but I am sick to death of IPS screens and want the OLED..I think there is some kind of agreement to keep phones with common sense features (headphone jack, no notch/cut-out, and easily rooted) from having good screens

Are custom roms for Redmi Note 7 Good yet? All I see are mostly un official releases.

what about motorola one vision?

>what are custom ROMs
>what is hiding the notch
Apparently not something you've heard of.

Current best android one xiaomi phone?

wait why though??

>buying something with a flawed design in the first place
Apparently you have not heard of common sense

Nice telepathic abilities, but no, I don't have a phone with a notch.

Agreed. Don't buy anything Xiaomi with MIUI unless you already love MIUI (somehow) or you're willing to spend some time researching which model has a fully working ROM (no random bullshit).

Why are you sick of IPS screens? Yeah OLEDs are slightly better but I honestly just see them as a luxury next to a decent IPS screen.

>you're willing to spend some time researching which model has a fully working ROM (no random bullshit).
Requires no more than 10 minutes.

headaches, backlight bleed (I have gone through 2 LGV20s that terribad quality control and asus was no better for my PG279Q monitor), and honestly I want a little better visibility in bright areas

LG V20 for $170

Staring at an OLED screen for too long isn't good either.
>better visibility in bright areas
Bro, OLEDs generally have lower brightness than IPS screens so IPS is actually better for that.

even an hour using IPS screens will give me a splitting headache (flickering), and my v20 even at max brightness cannot handle even a cloudy day let alone sunlight when my old note 4 was a champ even in direct sunlight

Sick to death of you losers who gloss over the part where an user says 'stereo speakers'
Just fucking get the OnePlus 7 god damn it

Attached: reeeee.jpg (1068x331, 32K)

Never had a BLB problem in phones or any of my monitors or headaches lol fucking zoomers these days

What bloody flickering? Jesus. Stop using defective shit. None of my IPS panels flicker.
You're right on the other part though, OLED phones are better when you consider outdoor use.

>OLED phones are better when you consider outdoor use
I have an OLED phone right now and still can't see shit when it's really bright outside.

>Sick to death of you losers who gloss over the part where an user says 'stereo speakers'
he said it's not a must you dumb faggot

Why is this thing so goddamn powerful and everything they made after that line so garbage with a higher price point?

I had to return my v20 twice for it, the first one had a giant visible one that covered the top of the screen by the second display and the other one was so bad even indoors it looked like a vignette filter theme was applied, my monitor I had to RMA as well..great phone but it is feeling its age and the batteries are hard to find..if this nonsense keeps up I am just going back to a note 4 honestly..we are still at 1440p and no new removeable batteries exist anymore. The zenfone 6 is tempting me though because I will not have to drill a hole through the selfie camera or paint a black dot over it..wish the phone had an OLED display

COPE

>JULY FUCKING 14TH
>10 DAYS AFTER INDEPENDENCE
>STILL NOT A SINGLE MURMUR OF ZENFONE 6 US RELEASE

TAIWANNNNNNNNNNN! IF YOU DON'T FUCKING FOR OVER THOSE PREORDER DATES I SWEAR TO GOD I'M CALLING XI

Attached: 1470824856885.gif (600x628, 182K)

I want an iPhone SE, but want rooted android. What do I buy? Really, I just want a small, affordable smartphone that I can root, preferrably Android.

Any opinions on Havoc OS? I'm sick of my chinkphones propretiary ROM and it seems they won't patch any newer android security patches anymore. This is one of the few official ROMs that are available for it.

Attached: 1558111551989.jpg (1536x2048, 267K)

Mi 9 SE

Thanks, but 6" screen is the opposite of small.

In terms of durability, is there a brand you could trust these days?

I'm not sure about Xiaomi, I'm talking about long term. Spend enough, get something reliable hardware wise that gets at least security updates or updates that won't render the phones shitty (like Apple) or at least custom ROM support that can deal with that problem. I know it's not too realistic for mid range phones to last long, but I still have a working Moto G1 I bought shortly after launch without issues, surely there's something reliable out there.

Anyone using XZ3? Any opinions? First Sony phone that is not ugly imo

It really says a lot that this is what people consider a "super small phone" these days.
youtube.com/watch?v=40W5RWk4BUM

Not much of a choice there in terms of small. Since you want something you can root I wouldn't recommend the A40 despite it being reasonable on the size (without bezels it's something any chick could handle).

Mi A3

>had some gift card balance sitting around
>ship to an amazon locker in Oregon to avoid sales tax

I love living on the border.

I've seen the Flamingo Pink in person, it's actually more orange, and I actually really like it, it'll look classy af in a black case.

Attached: s10e.jpg (994x620, 238K)

It's start shipping the 17.

Longer phones.

They're not small sized, that's been established. However they're more appropriate for one handed operation than previous phones "at the same screen size". The absence of bezels makes it so my A50 (6.4 inch) has nearly the same width as my Moto G4 (5.5 inch), take it as you will.

Something like the cc9 without miui?
250-300$
Europe
Decent battery cpu & ram
Not too huge
Headphone jack

Go for it, it's a good ROM. If it's official even better. Has signature spoofing support as well (needed for microG).

>Something like the cc9 without miui?
The Mi A3 is literally that. Or rather it's the CC9e but close enough. Just wait for it to come out officially.

flashed Havoc OS v2.7 on my Redmi Note 5 on Monday and it has been smooth as fuck

AMOLED gives me migraines. Read somewhere it was cuz the flickering

Helloween are fucking rad.

Proof?

The mi a3 will have a trashy snapdragon 665. The 710 of the cc9 runs circles around that one. The 665 is worse in some benchmarks than my current redmi 4 pro 625 phone.

>trashy snapdragon 665
How exactly is it trashy? I'm just sick of you people and this bullshit. Even the 660 runs the currently most demanding mobile game and the 665 has a better GPU. I don't know what more could you possibly need. And everyone cheats on mobile benchmark scores and has since 2013. It's fundamentally flawed and not reliable.

>iPhone8
She won't make the jump to a non iPhone and you won't like to be the guy who made her jump

>headache
Check if the phone you got uses pwm. Lots of people get headaches because of this.

The 665 is basically a die shrunk 660. It's meh in a 250€ 2019 phone but it still fits the "decent cpu" label user asked for, and I guarantee you it's faster than your 625 regardless of whatever benchmarking fuckups you ran into.

It's good enough, but better SoCs are out there and not much more expensive (if at all). You really can't blame people for saying it's the phone's weak point.

Good news everyone, some Samsung's flagships have just gotten official Lineage OS 16 builds.
youtu.be/wHSLxNBJzcg

She's not gonna buy another Apple product period. Not after having a device that shuts down, can't be turned on for fucking hours and then suddenly does when she's sleeping. She's aware of xiaomi stuff and considers the redmi note 7 already a better phone than hers (her dad owns one). Her concern is durability and pricing.

However I'm not doing any tech support or bootloader unlocking so she can have a good experience, that's all.

I am purely convinced midrange phones with exynos will get it, just about late enough for people to get rid of the god damned phones. I bought an A50 recently and there's absolute zero doubt in my mind eventually stable Lineage will come out for it. Just gotta wait... and wait... and wait...

>but better SoCs are out there and not much more expensive (if at all).
Yeah, but are a thing just in China and their specific models and segmentation. So, that's not really worth even considering. And that's another thing - you're not getting 700 series SoCs in the A series and that's that at least for now. Again:
>Even the 660 runs the currently most demanding mobile game and the 665 has a better GPU. I don't know what more could you possibly need.

whats the ideal upgrade from a huawei P9?
I would prefer a non navbar shitphone

Yeah... still in front of her friends she will pull out a chink phone. Never forget girls never really tell you what they want because they don't know they only tell you what they don't want. My final recc eat her pussy before she gets the phone

Haven't been following this, but you do realize that her iPhone is Chinese as well? Foxconn, no? Bet this would be a real bummer when she finds out.

>Xiaomi
>concern is pricing
I take it she doesn't have the first clue about Xiaomi, does she? Redmi Note 7 doesn't survive a band and that's really the only thing it doesn't survive which you shouldn't even attempt in the first place. Also, wait for the Mi A3, that will have stock Android and Blokada is the ad blocking solution for non rooted phones.

Does anyone manufacture a phone with something akin to a "duress unlock"? I'm talking about a feature where you have one unlock pattern/pin for regular use and another for when a cop/customs officer/girlfriend makes you unlock your phone under duress. The second code unlocks your phone but hides any predetermined apps/photos/etc.

>But police/intelligence can already access your entire phone remotely.
Yes but (for now) this is only used for high level crimes, not traffic violations, possession, entry into another country, things an ordinary person may wish to keep to themselves.

it'd cost 100 dollars more for a decent oled panel

Pocophone or Mi 9T is the way to go.
If you really got a lot of cash go for OP7 Pro.

>not traffic violations, possession, entry into another country, things an ordinary person may wish to keep to themselves
Those are still crimes, criminal!

Best plastics were on the lumia.

Attached: 329121-nokia-lumia-1020-at-t.jpg (774x648, 47K)

Why isn't it worth considering though? Xiaomi is THE company known for having really good value phones, look at how popular the Redmi Note 7 or Pocophone are (and those are out in the west). It's not that insane people would expect a 675 or a 1-year-old 710.
Look at it this way: the Mi A3 has the same performance as the Mi A2 from a year ago. Or as the aforementioned Note 7 that's a hundred yuros cheaper. Sure it got upgraded in other areas (camera, screen) but it's still not a good look.

Tryna to buy a smart phone that will last me. Iphone X or one plus 7T? Any other recommendations would be chill.

Lemme understand Samsung (which I'm sure 90% of you hate around here).

Supposedly they this tight ass knox security system that trips physically when you tamper with the phone and install custom ROM stuff. But how "private" and "secure" is the phone -with- knox related features? As in, is it that effective? Or just a fucking smoke screen to prevent people from using ROMs? How is it more difficult to run malware on that shit?

And why in god's name do they have mcafee as an antimalware solution?

>Why isn't it worth considering though?
I already told you. Why does it matter if a phone which isn't a thing in your country and most likely doesn't support global network bands has slightly better specs or pricing? It doesn't mean anything outside of China.

Have sex

Agree. These were nice. Unfortunately they are gone.

custom ROMs I mean.

guys help me
s10e (exyshit) vs a70
which one is better phone overall?

Why x over the others?

The A70 might get some support more recently than that because it's a global Snapdragon Samsung phone. Really good news about the official Lineage OS for last year's Samsung flagships. The S9+ is a relatively good deal now and it's even better knowing you're not shit out of luck with updates now.