/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and monitor suggestions; click on titles above parts lists to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>How to assemble a PC
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g

Want help?
>State budget & CURRENCY
>Post at least some attempt at a parts list
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs based on current pricing:
>Athlon 200GE - HTPC, web browsing, bare minimum gaming (can be OC'd on most mobos with the right BIOS)
>R3 2200G - Recommended minimum gaming
>R5 2600 - Good gaming CPU with great value
>R5 3600 - Great gaming CPU
>R7 3700X - Overkill gaming CPU (9900K for spendthrifts)
>R7 1700X - Budget video editing
>R9 3900X - Professional tasks

RAM:
>Do not use a single DIMM. 2 sticks ONLY for a typical dual channel CPU
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 3200CL16 minimum
>AMD B & X chipsets and Intel Z chipsets support XMP

GPUs based on current pricing:
1080p
>RX 570/580 8GB - Can be found on sale for cheap. Look for 570s which are >1240MHz boost
>GTX 1660 - higher fps / more demanding games
>RX 5700 - even higher FPS
1440p
>RX 5700 - basic
>RX 5700XT - standard
>RTX 2070 Super - higher framerates in SOME games
2160p (4K)
>RTX 2070S OC - budget option. Turing performance scales better into 4K than Navi does.
>2080Ti - best for 4K but expensive

>Navi launch drivers have issues, esp. w/ OC. Wait for AIB if considering the XT. 5700 blower is alright, due to low power. AIB models come mid-August.

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>Yes, adaptive sync (freesync) is important
>SSD Guide (250GB+ SATA bare minimums): i.imgur.com/79MYtoE.png
>NVMe isn't better than SATA SSD for gaming
>"Bottleneck checker" sites don't work
>Don't use Speccy
>AM4 VRMs + Monitors under "more"

more: rentry.co/pcbg-more

Prev

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 156K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818
scanproaudio.info/2019/07/12/amd-ryzen-3600-3700x-3900x-dawbench-tested-3-is-it-the-magic-number/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

AMD is dogshit digits confirm

should i buy b450 now or waitfag for the ones with bigger memory for bios?

why there's no 3600x in OP?

>MFW I'm StillWaiting™ to upgrade from my i5-3570 and still don't feel like Zen 2 will last me 7-8 years.
Lads I'm tired of waiting what do I do?

Attached: 1547314247528.gif (200x200, 2.9M)

Depends if you care about fancy UI or old APU support.

I'm torn between these for an R7 3700X with 3200Mhz CAS16:

Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO - 116€
VS
MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC - 140€

I know the MSI has better VRM and WiFi/BT.
I don't need the WiFi/BT and according to the chart bellow, the Gigabyte can perfectly handle an overclocked 3700X.
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1d9_E3h8bLp-TXr-0zTJFqqVxdCR9daIVNyMatydkpFA/htmlview?sle=true#gid=639584818

The board is also going to be used with an R5 1600X for a while.
Does the Gigabyte have any compatibility problems with 1st and 3rd gen Ryzen CPUs that I should be aware of, or should I go with the MSI?

Attached: 1563131095050.png (1000x1000, 303K)

install threadripper

4 threads don't cut it in 2019 or 2020, upgrade to 12 threads now.

>fancy UI
nah
>old APU support.
sure never know if i need to repurpose the mobo in the future
also thoughts on x570?
is it worth it for the pcie4 since i go with 5700xt?

>still don't feel like Zen 2 will last me 7-8 years
Why? I think it might last you as much.

>Incel is LARPing

Attached: tenor.gif (498x280, 1.19M)

>Does the Gigabyte have any compatibility problems with 1st and 3rd gen Ryzen CPUs
not that i know of, but usually gigabyte tends to be shittier in terms of reliability compared to msi

Should I get the 3600X or 3700X? I currently have an i5 7500, my main focus is gaming but above all else I'd like to get better performance on emulators like CEMU and RPCS3.

wait for zen 3, it's right around the corner

Hello guys, I was bored so I just spent a couple hours making an unbiased 3600 vs 9600k comparison.
The only bias that could be present here would be problems with either of the source's methods.
I made this for me because I'm considering a CPU upgrade but I hope maybe someone else would like to see it.
I'm not the best at presenting data the best way possible but I tried

Attached: 3600-vs-9600k.png (1399x779, 80K)

>ask Jow Forums about good b450 motherboard for ryzen 3600
>HURR MSI IS SHIT
>HURR ASUS IS SHIT
>HURR ASROCK IS SHIT
>HURR GIGABYTE IS SHIT

WELL WHICH ONE IS NOT SHIT YOU FUCKING NIGGERS?! WHICH ONE DO YOU EVEN USE IF ALL OF THESE ARE SHIT!?!

Attached: 1563130970376.png (365x384, 115K)

you'd be looking at a 2ndgen APU if we're thinking about it, hell a 220 GE would make more sense than any of that excavator shit.

when are people going to start adding ffxiv shadowbringers to their benchmark games? it has its own benchmark program and is good for stressing the cpu.

see

asrock

are you going to spam that shit for long?

For a tight budget, R7 2700 or the 2700x? Is there that much of a difference to make the 80 or so dollary doos worth it?

they're all fine

Why are factory overclocks so weak?

because it has to work even if all your other components are the absolute bottom of the barrel

>gigabyte tends to be shittier in terms of reliability compared to msi
What are you basing this on?

Good card to pair with 3600?

I’m thinking either 1660ti and upgrade in two years or splurge a bit and get a 2060.

My budget for the card is $250-280 so I’m waiting for a sale and hoping I can snag the 2060 for $300 somehow if I do that

I know but I'm tempted to get the 3700x but a 50% uplift doesn't sound like enough in my head from say the jump I had from my old Celeron to the i5 plus with a new console generation round the corner wouldn't it make sense to StillWait™ another year for Zen2+/Zen3?
If I had the money I'd genuinely consider it.
Feels like with the next generation of consoles round the corner it seems smarter to hold on that tiny bit longer, though not being able to play games and have youtube in the background still makes that wait that little bit harder.
Unironically thinking about it
>MFW Had a week long shag fest, Didn't enjoy the sex, she did, felt romantically disconnected whilst on the trip, I hurt her feelings and still want to say sorry months later but can't as she blocked me.
Makes me wish that I was still a virgin sometimes ngl desu, but there's no point in crying over spilled milk.

Attached: 1523733725183.jpg (630x630, 30K)

boomerfag here
been 13 years since i did a build
do they still produce mobo with integrated graphics since i'll receive the gpu a while after the rest of my components and would like to use the pc without gpu
i use a 3600 cpu

>Wait™ for Zen2 for a year because GPU and memory prices sky high
>Zen2 releases and price's of other components reasonable again
>Finally pull the trigger
>whole new layer of Wait™ begins due to no CPU stock and working bioses 404

internet and a friend that had problem with his gigabyte
but others seems to have it fine

you can get a 2060 right now for $313 due to 10% off code + $20 mir

>mobo with integrated graphics
No GPUs on mobos anymore. Quite a few intel CPUs and low-end amd chips have integrated GPUs but with 3600 you are out of luck

>Unironically thinking about it
by the time you'll be waitfaging again for zen 4
best budget is 2600
not too much price, and decent for gayming

yes, the majority of them have onboard graphics
I think all of the new x570s do

>No GPUs on mobos anymore
since when did this change occur
>Quite a few intel CPUs and low-end amd chips have integrated GPUs but with 3600 you are out of luck
oh well
thanks for the infos

Can someone give me a quick rundown on what features MSI had to cut from the B450 mobos due to the 16MB SPI flash ROM chips? If they are something I would never use anyway I think I'm pulling the plug for the B450 A-PRO and 3700x

see

Hewwo I wan to upgwade my gwaphics cawd from a 1050ti to a big spanky gtx 2070 supah, but I only hab an i3 8100 for a pwocessoh. Canna my i3 be fwens with the gtx 2070 supah or will the bottoh nek be a big oopsie poopsie?

uwu

Attached: uwu help.gif (342x342, 436K)

it's going to be just the GUI, and support for Excavator-based APU's

no they don't, that's apu support.

>wait for Navi and Zen 2
>wait some more for AIB Navi and B550 pro gaymen tomahawk C4 L96A1 AA-14 motherboard
What will we be waiting for after September?

Is the X570 Aorus Master a good motherboard?

Onboard graphics (boomer tech) =/= display connectors for APUs (modern mobos)

It'll be good to get on sale.
Like I got my 1600X on sale for same price as 1600, and I wanted a particular cooler anyway.
There is a bundle to get the 3600X+5700 for $40 off, so basically it's just $10 more that way and a fine deal for the better cooler it comes with.

3900X should last better than the 2600k and 4790k did.

MSI is the only one with BIOS flashback on midrange boards. But they are currently having BIOS issues with zen2, despite their BIOS being fine for zen+.

3600 > 2700X.
Or get the 2600.
2700/X is pointless unless it's basically the same price as the 2600. Zen2 is such a massive jump up in performance.

Reasonable TDP limits and having to work with a shitty PSU.
Also Nvidia and to a lesser degree AMD limit what their board partners can do. No one would buy a 2080 if they let their board partners put 300W through a 2070 to match its performance.

$250, or really $230, is the most you should pay for a 1660Ti. Otherwise the RX5700 is a better deal. And if you factor in some other deals (like 3600X+RX5700 bundle at Newegg, or even better bundles at Microcenter) then the 1660Ti needs to be more like $200 to be better for the money.

wat ???

RAID is temporarily disabled but is coming back.
It's mostly just cutting out the retarded images from the BIOS so it is a smaller size.

>What will we be waiting for after September?
Even more BIOS and windows updates.
Games worth playing.

Attached: chrome_2019-07-07_20-57-39.png (2923x1644, 1.43M)

How's this look for playing new and upcoming games?

Attached: gayman.jpg (1457x702, 165K)

wait for another bios fix

get 2x16GB
Get a case that's not going to be 80% empty space. There's no point in more than ~40Liter displacement.

we will still wait for amd to fix their shit

>been 13 years since i did a build
Nigga we future. tech you used back in the day now fits onto a thumb-drive. Dust-filters is now more powerful than the computers terorrist used to fly airplanes into the twin-towers. I'm talking alien technology nigga i'm talking resolution beyond going to the gym this year nigga i'm talking RGB lights and flying cars nigga.

Any case suggestions?

Thanks lads. Really don't care about any of that stuff so I guess I'm going for it and praying that the BIOS flashback update works.

I've already recommended a friend of mine the 2600 as it's only around £110 over here which is insane, however I'm still on the WaitTrain™ at the very least until BIOS updates/MAX B450 motherboards.
Again as I said in the previous post the 3700x seems pretty decent to my use case, however JustWait™ seems equally as much as of an appeal to me, that also being said the 3600 has dropped to £175 recently which is pretty mad as well.
Tempting thought actually the only thing that puts me off of the 3900x is the amount of wage slavery I'd have to go through to get it in an area of the UK where 4hrs of work a week per each job is the normal is mildly bleak.

Attached: 1525154503234.jpg (750x841, 310K)

You don't need that much RAM unless you know what you're doing. I wouldn't pay $200 leafbux more for a 2070 Super over a 5700XT. Unironically wait for a proper AIB 5700XT as it will still be much cheaper than a 2070 Super.

get a 600W PSU just to be safe

I currently use a raspberry pi as my home server but I'm going to need something more powerful.
Is it (reasonably) possible to build a computer as silent and with as low consumption as a rapberry pi, but with more computing power ?

i would get a cheaper mobo, only 16GB of ram and maybe a cheaper case and invest the money into a 2080 super or even ti.

3700X, even for some emulators 8 cores are better than 6

kek
you aight intel boy

Does anybody have that flowchart for troubleshooting why a computer won't boot? Im going to fix my brothers computer later today

if you need it buy now
if you can still manage without then wait

>as silent
yes you can make a 100% passively cooled build
>as low consumption
pis consume just a few watts
>but with more computing power
the shittiest parts you can find will be many, many times more powerful

Lads, is there a big difference between the corsair MP510 and the Samsung 970 EVO plus?

Attached: 1563067206492.png (3600x3600, 1.11M)

I am going to microcenter to get a ryzen 3700x and a tomahawk. 75% chance this thing doesn't even post. Wish me luck bros

Attached: 1563067004413.jpg (576x265, 53K)

Thanks a bunch friend

mp510 is a mousepad user

Yeah but it's a 75% every time you turn it on, and once you get into windows it turns into a 0%.

>4c/4t
Kinda choking there

Do not purchase the 3700x or pay that much for a motherboard you are losing all value associated with ryzen.
Instead buy a 3600 and a MSI B450 tomahawk. This will be with in 10% of the performance for about half the price.
Do not buy 32gb of ram unless you know FOR SURE you need it. I presently am playing my game and am also running 22 chromium tabs, discord, tixati, foobar, peaceGUI, excel, then a bunch of notepads and calculators and i am at 7.8gb ram used.
If you're going to spend $124 on the PSU may as well grab any 80+ certification semi or full modular 750 watt so power consumption becomes irrelevant.
If the 5700XT is $100 or more cheaper than the 2070 Super it is a better card. You can trivially unlock the overclock limits and run it at equal to or better than 2070 super performance(see attached pic). If you have a gsync monitor already then get the 2070 super.
Case is totally up to you but thing does not look like it is at all worth $145 only buy it if you love the way it looks.
SSD is good. Evga is good if you need nvidia.

Attached: fuckmygsyncmonitoriwanttochopmycockoff.png (892x532, 99K)

Does anyone have experience with building a rig for audio recording / music production? Best CPU money can buy + an external DAC?

>>as low consumption
>pis consume just a few watts
So you mean that an actual pc will always consume more or ..?
What would be the lowest consumption achievable for a modern computer ?

a bit too small for a mousepad tb-h

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com1.jpg (474x365, 18K)

Amd is the best price to performance parts. They invented 65bit chipsets and sold it to nvidia. They're lightyears ahead in processors and catching up in the gpu market. On top of the better performance and better pricing. They uppercut intels i9 line with their ryzen 9 and fucking demolished it.

That's the thing user, I've been meaning to upgrade my CPU since Kaby lake iirc? (2017 Kaby) and the itch is getting to me user.

keep your ram speeds higher. Amd is great but the cpus are ram hungry. If possible, 16 gigs of 3600mhz would be perfect. But less faster ram is better than more slower ram. Get an x470-x570 instead of b450. And only older b350's i believe had problems with zen because it needed a bios update but b450 and the x470etc series are great

I am just getting a 9600k. Fuck this shit show ryzen launch

yeah, you wont be able to match the power consumption of a pi
closest you could get might be installing linux on a modern smartphone or tablet, which would still be something like 20-50x more powerful

All non x570 mobos need bios updates to support zen 2.
If you buy a non x570 mobo without a bios flash button and you don't have an older am4 cpu then you can't use it.

>the next generation of consoles round the corner
The new consoles will have an 8-core Zen 2 CPU. Sounds familiar? It's your 3700X.
The 3700X is the perfect CPU to upgrade to. Unless you do workstation work on your PC, in which case de 3900X is a no-brainer.

I'm still waiting on the rest of my components to come in the mail, but my new monitor and keyboard just arrived today

Holy hell, I'm used to my 15" laptop monitor, and I'm so fucking blown away by my new 27" monitor. This is fantastic

3900X
SSD for DAW and OS
SSD for Kontakt libraries and samples
SSD for vsts and sample packs (Hollywood edge, loop masters etc whatever you use)
HDD for misc stuff, stems bounced files whatever audio you arnt regularly using
Mobo with m.2 for each SSD, USB 3.0s might make a big difference.
RME, Apollo, UAD, MOTU for interfaces, depends on what you are doing, tracking or heavy dsp etc depends how many I/Os you need.
This is the build I will be getting except the interface.
Inb4 anons get mad about spending money
You could swap anything I’ve said for an equivalent but if you want high specs ur gunna have to shell out for it. These gaming benchmarks mean nothing to audio.

>yes, the majority of them have onboard graphics
No they don't! What the fuck! That shit hasn't been around for ages.

your call pal
i'm building a new pc because mine can't even launch games that are 3 years old even on ultra low
been waitfagging for 8 years

>What would be the lowest consumption achievable for a modern computer ?
not really sure
while idling I'd say you could get it down to somewhere in the 15w-25w range
since my computer idles around 41w but that's with a number of fans running and without picking components for low power consumption or undervolting, etc
under load? really depends on how much the cpu is being stressed

8 cores 16 threads good
depends. The 3600x is the newer best budget cpu. r7 3700x is better but costs about 80 bucks more. But in gaming it will work just as fine but since most games are single threaded a 3600x would do. But workloads that involve multithread tasks a 3700x would be best
a 2700 is 8 core 16 thread. 2700x has a higher boost clock and hyperthreading
Get a navi (I am kind of an AMD 'fanboy'). A 5700 is comparable to a 2060. A 1660ti would do good but I recommend the newer navis due to amd finewine architecture. They get better over time. RTX arent great. They were kind of rushed to push out raytracing. a 1660ti would do fine for that but thats about 309 now i believe from msi (which you'll probably want the msi variant) so spend 20 extra and get a rx 5700

>3900X
I've heard that AMD CPUs have/had latency issues. Not sure if it was just shitposting or an actual issue.

for the love of god please dont get g.skill.
They buy the cheapest possible memory, they cause blue screens, and often dont match what they're rated for. Super overrated ram. X570 is a perfect baord. Get corsair vengeance ram. m.2 is good. You'll be better off with a 5700xt which costs 300 less and is made to compare with the 2070. 16 gb ram will suffice aswell but Ig nothing wrong with more ram. maybe upgrade that psu for wiggle room to like a 650 but itll work since its 80+gold.

scanproaudio.info/2019/07/12/amd-ryzen-3600-3700x-3900x-dawbench-tested-3-is-it-the-magic-number/

>nothing wrong with more ram
more capacity is ok, but 4 sticks is not ok
on x570 if you fill all 4 slots the frequency goes down a huge amount

Because it's literally not worth the extra money over a 3600.

I wasnt aware of that. Just aware of the b350 problem with zen.

so I'm putting my first attempt together on pcpartpicker. If I'm getting R7 3700x do I need an x570 motherboard? I'm sorry for ousting myself as having no idea what the fuck I'm doing but I wasn't sure since none of the motherboards on the site seem to have reviews so I figured I'm fucking up.

>keep your ram speeds higher
Why? Higher speed RAM yields negligible performance benefits and it's considerably more expensive. It's also overclocking, adding potential instability for practically no gains.

>Get an x470
I will not benefit from a single feature from the X470 chipset. Why should I pay more for it?

>If I'm getting R7 3700x do I need an x570 motherboard?
No. The X570 chipset is not necessary and is more expensive.

I preordered this because its increadibly based

Attached: Screenshot_20190714-143935_Amazon Shopping.jpg (1440x2960, 1.09M)

I wasnt aware of that either. I am going to a convention soon with some of my business distributors in a month so ill be looking more into this stuff. I havent dealt with an x570 in a personal rig, only a clients and he only used 2 sticks.

Can you redpill me on workstation work with the new ryzen? Been using i7 6800k and 1070 with 32gigs of ram. Is 3900x and lets say a 2080ti a major improvement? I edit weddings 4k so it's a long footage and effects applied.

ok, would you mind pointing me towards some reading that will help me understand what I'm looking to acomplish when I pick a motherboard in that case?