Linux has been dropping in desktop popularity for decades. And thats simply because Linux is a bad desktop system

Linux has been dropping in desktop popularity for decades. And thats simply because Linux is a bad desktop system
>But Win is preinstalled
It has always been, yet Linux loses marketshare.
>But people dont know Linux exists
Yes they do, my boomer parents and my grandparents used Linux. Used.

Windows went from 95 to XP, from XP to 7 and from 7 to 8/8.1/10. It took big leaps in functionality and design whilst Linux still jacks off to shell.

When youre comparing Windows 10 with Linux/GNU youre comparing a Bugatti Veyron to a DeLorean

Attached: os-popularity.png (580x350, 42K)

>When youre comparing Windows 10 with Linux/GNU youre comparing a Bugatti Veyron to a DeLorean
kek I guess this is accurate because using GNO/Loonix is like using a time machine and traveling back to 1985

the real problem is that there are no standards for consumer Linux.

It's all what normies want. A standard DE, A standard Compositor, et al.

Just look at things like Android, it runs Linux Kernel, but it has standards.

Normalize shit, and then watch the normies flock to it.

Make the Desktop equivalent to APK applications, then you're good.

fuck off street shitter, no bing points for you

Attached: 452121.jpg (620x400, 33K)

Post a graph you fucking nigger
Not one from 2011

This is happening right now with systemd, wayland, etc but the community proceeds to have a shit fit about it because ‘muh ebil corporations and muh unix’

fake news. linux has the highest market share it's ever had. considering the increasing normification of the internet that's impressive.

yeah. bunch of idiots. You need a consumer version of Linux that appeals to normies, otherwise it does not work.

I don't care if it's Linux as long as it's free(dom).
The discussion is pointless for me because I will never use any proprietary closed source botnet that fucks its users in the ass. It doesn't matter if it can cook my dinner. This model always lead to the same outcome, once they have dominance they start adding walls, removing features, etc.
So when you opt for easy way now you're basically fucking your future self in the ass.
Yes, I understand people are forced to use because $PROGRAM is not available or something else. But given the choice, choose freedom.

Exactly, because it's no longer the OS they want.
If linux ever reaches some normie population, it will never be the kind of OS we liked in the first place.
I just like OS that I can tinker, control or at the very minum, understand. And stuff like systemd, while pudhing for desktop OS, are harming tinkerers, the guys who actually enjoy linux, not as an hipster or free OS but from a tech perspective.

I have a hard time finding good stats since Linux is often destinated as "Other" OS

Attached: 218089.png (1000x743, 65K)

Fear not. Wait for MS to release their Linux based Windows distro.

Venturebeat
user...

Attached: os-market-share-december-2018.png (1024x679, 88K)

Based and Windowspilled
You wish, freetard

Linux is literally increasingly tailor made by big corporations to be used as a server kernel

The moment my mom can install firefox by just downloading an installer linux becomes a possibility. Right now on a debian system if I download firefox and run the downloaded package, it'll unpack and place a firefox executable in the download folder. Then when you run it it cries that it's not an installed application. Next time my mom wants to start up firefox, where the fuck is it?

I love linux and use it daily but as long as a casual user that barely knows where the power button is located has to use terminal or more than a simple click to install shit it's not useable for them. Guess what? These retards are the primary users that you should be targetting. This is why Linux is not used by anyone other than nerds.

Omedetou, you got it

Attached: PlaintiveNeatChipmunk-poster.jpg (960x720, 40K)

Like 99.1% of servers use Linux, 0.8% use BSD and the rest 0.1% use Windows server or some underground OS.
I hope Linux stays as a server OS, i dont want developers to normiefy it

>SJWFox

this but unironically

There isn't just Windows, Mac and Linux. There's Windows, Mac and a shit ton of distros, each with their own compatible programs.

Why can't I just like download a .exe. I hate that you have to use package managers and that everything can be a executable.

Android is an example of how Linux can be a mainstream platform.

For that somebody big has to make an entire user ecosystem
>invest into a Working de with a working display server
>Pay for hardware support, pay vendors to make the drivers for your obscure shit nobody uses yet
>Same with the software support
>And lastly a compelling feature set to motivate people to switch

Right now its in a vicious cycle
>Nobody supports it
>Because nobody uses it
>Because nobody supports it

To break that you need IBM or something ro massively invest into making their own MacOS but even better, and pay Adobe to port their shit too

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Developing on windows is a joke, who cares what the normies are doing

You can just download an .appimage, a flatpack or .deb.

>To break that you need IBM or something ro massively invest into making their own MacOS but even better, and pay Adobe to port their shit too
Isnt microsoft on it?

Linux is very popular if you count android devices

linux on desktop has always sucked. not because of shell (that's actually the best part of it) but because of everything else.

Microsoft is trying to integrate Linux into Windows as a subsystem kinda like Linux can have a kernel level virtual machine.

They're not going to ditch their own kernel and the rest of the os.

However now that IBM have RH they could, in theory, fund the development of Fedora into the desctop Android.

>gnome: terrible DE so normies will love it, they might be able to make the performance tolerable with a partial rewrite
>wayland: devs that had X pains already say how much they love to work with wayland. has industry support all around
>flatpak: developers are lazy and they never had a truly stable base to deliver cross distro software before. plus sandbox (yes it's not really 100% enforced for now because of e.g. proprietary programs, but you can override if you want)
>pipewire
>systemd
You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.
Either you think Red Hat should eat a dick or you will never personally use it, it's what's going on.
There's always BSD and other options that will appear if Linux really becomes "freedom averse".

Attached: flatpak.png (1280x720, 433K)

>Windows went from 95 to XP, from XP to 7 and from 7 to 8/8.1/10.
Everything past 7 has been downhill

That lemon color line is Vista you retard.
The linux line is at the bottom where it's been 0%-1% since forever.

Maybe because more and more zoomers are getting into PC gaming and that requires Windows.

>no standards for consumer
GNOME is the default DE on every major distribution.
>Android, it runs Linux Kernel, but it has standards
Hahaha, no. Every OEM and carrier has their own skin and preinstalled apps.
>Desktop equivalent to APK
APK's are glorified JAR files which themselves are zipped files. Linux already has this with DEB packages and Alpine's own APK.

Wow, it's like it's harder to keep track of users who avoid being tracked.

All your data sources are biased and invalid.

Install gentoo faggot

Less than ever now with the cross platform big engines and proton

Fuchisa is coming and might be the Google's MacOS for the normies.

It's not linux but will be compatible.
And is going to be much less free.

I really can't see myself using Windows, it just lacks most of the things and features I use, it just seems like an OS for the normi/gaymur at this point, and no, a hacked together linux subsystem won't fix it.

The goal of GNU is to allow users to have freedom. Its developers are not willing to sacrifice freedom in order to attain popularity. This is a good thing, but it does mean progress is slow.
There is no point to copying Android features, if normies want a retard-friendly Linux-based OS they can and already do use Android.
That is an issue with firefox, not with debian.
Shipping executables is not popular in GNU/Linux because it is inflexible and error-prone. Microsoft meanwhile has to bend over backwards spending billions to preserve compatibility with windows programs and still fails often. If you have the source code it's easier to just do a port and recompile which is exactly what your distro likely does. The Microsoft way is not actually a good way to do things and shouldn't be copied.

You are very fucking special with some very special needs.

I seriously tried to go linux and after three months went back when i discovered that even the "gold" rated Wine applications crash every 5 minutes while failing to autosave the progress

The faggots claimed Zbrush runs great on linux, no it doesn't.
Even the valve's precious dota 2 crashes two times per match on awerage.
The other native games run twice slower than they did on windows.

> a Bugatti Veyron to a DeLorean
More like a Bugatti Beyron to a wheelbarrow.

Do not use those proprietary programs, they are malicious and don't respect you as a user. If you came to GNU/Linux thinking that it is a good place to run nonfree software and games, you are there for the wrong reasons.

The more i see this interpretation of freedom the funnier it gets.
>Here's freedom
>Can i do X
>NO

The FOSS CAD solutions i would need for 3d printing are absolutely fucked and Blender is unsuitable for CAD.

Blender is also weak in sculpting department.

I'm not saying you can't do something I'm saying you shouldn't. The only people who are saying you can't do something are the proprietary software vendors with their EULAs that restrict you. That's why you should avoid them. They are the ones telling you no, not me.

>feeling almost personally attacked when people state they have different needs and preferences than you
seek help faggot

What is the point of Freedom if it hinders progress?

Attached: huh....jpg (636x360, 39K)

Works on my machine

No.
I just pointed out that you're an absolute statistical outlier and don't represent any sizable group of people.

I do when I'm comfortable with it.

But then i have a choice between proprietary and stepping on a lego, i chose property.

Please share with us your definition of the word "progress"

When I have that choice I choose neither. The restrictions that those EULAs place on you are real. You say you're comfortable accepting them but you also have seen the trouble it causes when developers can't do a native port to another OS and you have to resort to hacks like Wine to try and run it somewhere else. Or worse, when they do a native port and stop updating it so it ends up half-assed and broken, and nobody else has the option to fix it because it's proprietary.

Getting anything done.

I understand that Linux community is a bunch of autismal programmers who made themselves a comfy progging environment.

But If i need to design and 3d print some utilitarian part FOSS solutions are terribad.
Freecad is alien, perfoms poorly, crashes.
That's not workable.
If i want to make an artstic sculpture, Blender isn't the worst thing ever but loses to Zbrush massively.

Linux is a kernel. It's not an OS, it's not a company, it's not a community that encompasses everything.
FreeCAD and Blender have nothing to do with Linux, they are independent projects. You have likely paid nothing for those softwares so they don't owe you anything. If have issues with them then take it up with them or pay someone to fix the problems that you've encountered. You or your company likely have paid massive amounts for whatever proprietary CAD software you use so it's nonsensical for you to try and compare that with something else that you've paid zero for.
You could easily get things done with that software but the simple fact is that you refuse to.

It feels like I'm talking to Richard himself.

>GNOME is the default DE on every major distribution.
Reminder that most normies have only ever used Windows and its desktop, some of them Mac, yet FOSS trannies put GNOME, of all DE, as the default DE on major distros and wonder why normies are scared

as long as you need to do a 2-hour venture to find out why XYZ doesn't work on Ubuntu, Linux will be a programmer-only OS.
It's that simple. Even ancient OS like WinXP don't have this problem, yet Linux is still too hard to use for no reason.

Win10 may be proprietary but it's completely fool-proof and continually adds new features, including everything Linux provides. And thus, the gap between OS like Mint and Ubuntu and WIn10 becomes bigger and bigger.

>as long as you need to do a 2-hour venture to find out why XYZ doesn't work
You're wrong.
It only took me half an hour of research plus a few commands in the Terminal and a completely non-intuitive action in the display settings to change my monitor refresh rate and make it stick at reboot with Xrandr on Fedora Cinnamon
Not being able to do that directly from the display settings is an amazing experience...

Well memed, my friend

What do you propose to be the de facto standard then? Cinnamon or MATE? Maybe Pantheon?
No DE other than GNOME is corporate backed and that is the only reason why GNOME is the standard.

he does have a point

He's not kidding though.
The display settings are literally 2 options (resolution, rotation)

Allow me to interject for a moment, but what you actually call Linux is, in fact, GNU/Linux or, as I've recently begin to name, GNU+Linux.

The problem with GNU ideology is that they don't understand division of labor.

There are people who aren't coders, they just need a fuckig tool and they need it right now. EULA doesn't matter if it gets the job done without problem, failures and quirks.

Thats why the Adobe's absolutely agregious model works. If it earns more money than it costs to rent faster than GIMP would its a good deal.

Although them being absolute fucks also breeds legit competition like Krita and Affinity.

I personally use Krita for my art, it's free and good enough.
Although if i was a pro photographer i would gladly rent photoshop if it earns me more money than the alternatives.

I would not rent photoshop because using it means you can only earn more money than the alternatives for as long as they approve of it. Depending on it for income is a liability. Adobe's model does not work if you have even the most basic of disagreements with them. Tricking you into accepting an abusive EULA because something gets a job done "right now" is exactly the short-term mentality that they prey on. The problem with your ideology is you don't understand why they are actually the ones against division of labor.

>don't represent any sizable group of people
That doesn't invalidate my use case you dumb fuck, hope they teach you about logic in high school soon. I sincerely hope you are not as retarded as you seem for your family's sake.

This is only one problem of many. Anyone that believes the lack of standards is the only or even the biggest problem probably also believes in the year of the loonix desktop.

>3d
Then what the fuck are you doing on Jow Forums?, there's a whole board for your faggotry