What speakers does Jow Forums recommend...

What speakers does Jow Forums recommend? I got these M-Audio AV40s about 8 years ago because Jow Forums recommended them at the time but now they're dead (I killed them). I just want something for music and films, all my stuff is in FLAC because I'm autistic, and I don't know how comfortable I am getting a pair of $15 logitechs. I am building a new PC though so it's a perfect time for something new.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (474x266, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

noaudiophile.com/JBL_LSR305/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

a5x

Sorry I should have given my poorfag budget. I'd say up to $100, unless there's something in particular that stands out just above that price point

>up to $100
forget it, buy headphones
never buy speakers less than 200 each

Edifier S2000Pro

Attached: 1560664332284.jpg (792x792, 200K)

>up to $100
kek, then just stay with the AV40's

Focal sopras

Attached: muhfocals.png (190x190, 77K)

>never buy speakers less than 200 each

$99 LSR305s would like to have a word with you.

Attached: JBL_LSR_305_Desk.jpg (960x666, 242K)

If you're really stuck on a sub 100$ price...add 50 bucks for Edifier R1700BT, or buy them used.

>never buy speakers less than 200 each
Totally agree. If you're low on budget look used, you'll be way happier at the end of the day.
>$99 LSR305s would like to have a word with you.
These are low-budget garbage that gets shilled because it's less garbage than all the other garbage.

I'm looking at some edifier speakers with optical inputs, is that an improvement over using the 3.5mm straight from my motherboard to RCA?

depends on the motherboard and the converters in the speaker
probably not

Depends, which has a better DAC, your computer or the speakers.
You really just have to try both to know for sure, but those speakers might not be resolving enough to tell the difference.

>it's less garbage than all the other garbage

So you're saying they're the best thing you can buy at that price point? Sounds like a recommendation to me.

Edifier are reasonably affordable and good quality speakers, klipsch are higher end(but still sold in department stores)
Many folks here don't know shit about audio quality so I'd ask /mu/ as well.

audioengine are the apple of speakers

No, I said the best thing at the price point is something from the used market.
Try'n keep up.

/mu/ is absolute poorfag central, forget about that, all they care about are cheap meme headphones like akg 240s and m50s

he's talking about adam, audioengine are called a5+

I have pic related, they're cheap and sound OK.

Attached: Edifier-R1000T4.jpg (800x800, 57K)

>used speakers

speakers are one of those things that don't really get old. the capacitors in them can wear out i guess but i'm using a pair of boston speakers from like 1997 and they sound pretty damn good. besides the 20 year old wires being a little stiff i dont really see the advantage in spending $150 more for a new 2.1 speaker set that is more or less exactly the same thing but in a trendier casing

Attached: ba635.jpg (474x355, 33K)

Up your poorfag bux a lil' bit and grab the JBL One Series 104.

Attached: 81Xr3Lm2qrL._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1303, 234K)

OP here, I'm very much considering the Edifier R1280Ts

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (800x653, 253K)

What's garbage about the 305s? I'm on the edge of pulling the trigger on some Mk IIs

ah, my apologies. adam audio speakers aren't bad at all.

Are these any good?

They're on sale right now for $270, but I can't find frequency response specs or measurements for them anywhere.

Not sure if I should just get actives or if I should get passives and use the old amp I have with them or get some kind of new small form factor amp.

Attached: R9IPwHjcRKOmN53ROCZC_pcbanner.jpg (1080x720, 85K)

Never get actives, you can always upgrade the amp for passives if you want to later

305s have a muddy treble and terrible bass extension. You'd be much better off with a hand-me-down amp and a set of used passives.

This.
If you've got a limited budget, try to find a set of KEF Q-100s.
I just did an A-B between my new Fa
Focal Arias v the Q-100s, and the KEFs hung in there against the $1400 Focals.

dual HomePods

Been using a yamaha yas 207 soundbar for awhile and it was ok by itself. Recently picked up an older denon receiver and set of pc speakers from goodwill and rigged it all together to make a surround set up. Soundbar as front channels and the monsoons as rear, sounds great for the 30 bucks it cost, just need a better sub now.

Attached: mh500.jpg (1280x720, 147K)

I want active speakers due to limited space on my desk. Do you have anything to actually prove or demonstrate this muddy treble and poor bass extension, because if anything I've heard that the 305s reach down pretty well for a 5" speaker (and I intend to add a subwoofer in the not too distant future anyway) and I've seen their imaging praised a fair bit, too, which I would think suggests good behaviour in the treble?
The measurements in this review at the very least seem to contradict your claims about the bass. noaudiophile.com/JBL_LSR305/

Alright, I've got a spare 100 watt stereo amplifier sitting around so passives work.

Question remains, are Audioengine HDP6 good?

You just need to go to a shop and listen to them compared to other speakers. Measurements and reviews don't mean shit. ALWAYS audition speakers before you buy.

>tfw my moms gateway she bought in like 1998 came with those

Measurements objectively prove what hardware can do with proper implementation, you mong.

Used bookshelfs and a receiver from Gumtree (or your country's equivalent).

old high-end English stuff is always easy to get a hold of in the UK (B&W, KEF, etc.)

Attached: mine - £35.jpg (1024x768, 139K)

I don't live near any good hi-fi or DJ/studio supply stores that are going to stock both the JBLs and any competing options. Assuming that you are and you're implying that this entire class of speaker are bad and shouldn't be bought? I've been getting by with Swan M10s for 3 years now. If the JBLs and its ilk are bad, what are these, dog-shit wrapped in aids? I've been enjoying them for what they are.
I'm not totally retarded, I've been looking around for used deals but I'm not having a whole lot of luck. A guy offered me a pair of Acoustic Energy AE Pro SATs for a little over half of what the JBLs would cost me, but there's so little information about them available other than two old reviews that I didn't jump at them purely because they seemed an unknown quantity compared to the 305s.

Looked at those measurements, and yeah, the bass rolls off hard at 50Htz., better bookshelves will do 40 before that roll-off. So yeah, I trust my ears on that one. I heard these against some Rokit 8s in Guitar Center a while back.
As far as imaging goes, that's more about speaker placement than anything else.
I understand being low on desk space, but keep in mind, most active bookshelf's are the same size or smaller.
Either way, you should go listen to them somewhere. Everyone's taste is a bit different. I like bright and detailed, you might not.

>better bookshelves will do 40
No, they wont. This is about size of woofer, you are not going to get much better at this size. 50hz roll off is standard for 5 inch.
Also you are full of shit, I owned lsr 305 and those are very good sound wise, and especially at this price. Good enough for audio engineers but too "muddy" for your audiophool ass. Maybe you forgot to use golden cables?
Lsr 305 hiss like shit, which is actual reason to not use them.

The hiss is the biggest reason I've had to question buying them, though it seems like it depends on whether your house is grounded and what you're plugging it into. That review I linked claims the hissing went away when plugged into a different source / interface so apparently they're picky. I've also seen people say that the hiss is mild and can only be heard when you put your ear to the drivers, etc.

Fucking audiophile retard.

Attached: cutie.jpg (600x600, 33K)

>>Good enough for audio engineers.
LOL who the fuck memed you into believing engineers use this shit?
You're obviously an idiot child, so let me educate you.
Most studios (pic related) have coustom monitors built into the wall. The do this to reduce any bass reflection created between the speaker and the all.
And I fucking gurentee those drivers aren't from a fucking JBL 305.
Oh, and most engineers mix off headphones anyway.

Attached: studio.jpg (2069x1607, 851K)

Measurements can mean more than the first impression. Bass response is strongly room dependent and varies based on how the loudspeaker couples to the pressure/velocity modes of the room.
It can also be difficult to isolate your impression of a loudspeaker from extraneous variables that are not sound related.

It's a budget speaker that hits most of the essential points besides the noise floor fairly well. Of course, anyone with a more ample budget or space can purchase speakers with a better acoustic response.
>bass reflection
It's most explicitly done for diffraction effects with SBIR as an additional bonus, though there are easier ways to treat SBIR. Low-frequency modes are often made even worse by inserting the drivers in the wall. The walls are pressure maxima of the room's modes, so the bass modes will couple maximally.
Production is done ordinarily with speakers and only recently are really considering headphones as more than accessories. Even so, the primary is a mix of bookshelf loudspeakers.

I've a pair of Yamaha HS7s and I'm happy with them.

>up to $100
Oh. Sorry. Save up or just get a pair of reasonably good headphones.

>so I'd ask /mu/ as well.
/mu/ does even know less about audio in general lmao
also does feel good being a eurofag since americans will never have pic related

Attached: nubert-nubox-383.jpg (766x1000, 84K)

for 200 bucks
they also make actives

Attached: nubert-nubox-383-frequency.jpg (1500x1074, 201K)

Hi guys I’m just enjoying Diana Krall on muh JBLs. God bless big woofers, the double bass is so lifelike, it’s like it’s in the room!!

Attached: 622C1E88-E7F3-4C38-9EA1-E4183B44E380.jpg (4032x3024, 2.49M)

i have bose companion 2 and i like them

I usually scroll right past audio threads on Jow Forums, but I'll pop in to say holy christ.
>most engineers mix off headphones anyway
There are no such things as "monitor headphones". Pinna shape has huge variance person to person, resulting in equally huge frequency response variation. You need a personalized HRTF not just for each person that wears that particular pair, but for each audio source direction.
Absolutely nobody but the ignorant mixes on headphones.
Most everything else you've mentioned is just as nonsensical, so simmer down.

305Ps are excellent far-field monitors; much rarer than excellent near-fields are. The SNR is bad due to internal layout problems, but be careful with your gain structure and you'll be fine for near-field too unless you live in a rural area.
Nobody else has thrown this much science-derived R&D into cheap-ass monitors, no matter how many times people use the word meme.

Do you think getting a used stereo receiver and some bookshelves would net better results at this kind of price range? I said earlier that space is the reason I didn't want to do that, however if I could figure out a way to securely mount the receiver standing vertically on its side, I'd be willing to do so. A constant hiss would definitely irritate me.

I've owned them for over three years, they're just alright.
The imaging shifts very heavily if you move from the center.
The bass is muddy and has almost no punch (might be my room)
>Terrible bass extension
As in they don't play as low as a subwoofer or what?
>Muddy treble
They sound very detailed to me, mind explaining that, sweaty?
>hand-me-down amp and used passives
Look at this dude...
Why does no one bother giving actual criticism or legit advice?
It's either
>THEY BAD TRASH SHOEBOX
Why are they bad? What should I get instead?
>LOL GET ANYTHING ELSE BRO HAHA.
Like fucking what? And why

Attached: 1563152594038.jpg (960x882, 59K)

lmao at buying this

Attached: JBL_LSR_305_Trim_Controls.jpg (1133x629, 148K)

user... that guy took those measurements in room

another one that has similar results
never realized with what crap people are listening music with

Attached: JBL_LSR_305_Flater.jpg (1133x629, 134K)

Most headphones are not even well balanced below 5 kHz, where the most significant and idiosyncratic pinna effects cut in. Some headphones can offer a bass check, at least.
>personalized HRTF not just for each person that wears that particular pair, but for each audio source direction
Normally, HRTF includes the directional coordinates.

As the other poster said, you'll have to pay attention to the gain structure with the LSR. That means using the minimum gain, +4 dBu, and adjusting the volume control on the back and the signal accordingly.
At 200 for a pair, there isn't much of anything you can expect to do the package better.

Still in room.

thoughts about a sound bar for desktop computers?

Shouldn't pay too much attention to measurements. It's better to listen to different speakers and find what you personally like. Flat frequency response isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Flat frequency response is desirable because it's easy to adjust for, not because people like the sound
I bass boost and create a small dip around 3-5k
>wanting speakers that don't have a critical component hidden inside them
>audiophile retard
Having a potential problem component (or am easily replaced and improved component) on the outside of the speaker box is objectively desirable. Active speakers are built to a price point, and a relatively low one since the bay majority willing to spend fuckloads of money are willing to do it right/pay someone to do it right

Hey I've got those, they're pretty good. How the fuck did you "kill them" you absolute faggot?

buy studio monitors if you care at all for audio quality
you can get basic JBL ones for like $200

What speaker amps do you recommend?

Presonus Eris 5
VS.
Adam A5X
VS.
JBL 305p mk II
???

They're obviously worth the price of 90€
And you'll obviously get better sound by spending 50-300% more money.
Its like speakers you'd get as a gift for children and thered be nothing to complain about while wanting to invest a bit more to get decent speakers that last a decade.