Are OLEDs worth it? I want them, but I'm worried a little about burn in, but mostly about stutter with 24 fps movies...

Are OLEDs worth it? I want them, but I'm worried a little about burn in, but mostly about stutter with 24 fps movies. Also they cost a lot.

Attached: Desktop_01.jpg (940x620, 81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=DcNQHeI31OE
asus.com/Monitors/ProArt-PQ22UC/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It depends on if you're willing to wait a few years for better, more expensive technology.

If you need it now get a qled else w8 till oled get cheaper.

>stutter with 24 fps movies
Why? OLEDs use 120Hz panels and can display 24fps content without introducing judder. As can any decent modern TV.

Fuck off, Samshit marketeer. "QLED" is a marketing term and a scam. If you want a standard LCD TV, buy one from Sony or a cheaper brand like TCL or Vizio. Avoid overpriced Samshit garbage.

>"QLED" is a marketing term and a scam
This. Imagine making a backlight type your main selling point.

qled is a legitimate technology but almost nobody actually implements electroluminescent quantum dots which is the only appeal of the technology in the first place

its marketing to take advantage of boomers because QLED looks like an improvement to OLED and most boomers have no clue what the difference is, and don't actually care, they just want a new TV and marketing buzzwords and price are more important to perceived image quality than actual image quality

B8 is cheaper or the same price as any FALD QLED, there's literally no reason to ever buy a QLED.

If you want a cheap gaming TV with Freesync, the NU8000 is better in everyway than the Q60r.

If you're not a poor fag, then yes. I would never go back, OLED is simply the best you can get when it comes to image quality

Get some black out blinds and a laser projector

Do you watch nothing but CNN news all day long? Do you plan to use the TV as a computer monitor?

If not, OLED is fine.

OLED burn-in is caused by uneven wear, not by actual burning from prolonged use. As long as you're using your TV for a variety of content and scenes like most normal people, it evens out and you'll be ok.

If you're really neurotic enough that you wont be able to stop obsessing over it, then save yourself the trouble and avoid, but I was that way in the first month and now a year later I don't care anymore. I do all sorts of "bad habits" like leaving things in menus, play games with static HUDs regularly etc and have no signs of burn in.

reminder that nearly every samsung TVs uses extremely low-frequency PWM dimming that WILL cause visible flicker and potentially fuck up your eyes in the long run

Attached: ru8000-backlight-large.jpg (3840x3988, 986K)

OLED is a dead-end technology. It hasn't improved at all in the past 4-5 years.

true

microled is the future

This right here
OLED is just the plasma of this decade, and a meme technology

What happens to your eyes after flicker has fucked them up?

this

sony master series oled makes even anime moving scenes pretty smooth without introducing “soap opera” effect

i'm not sure. But if it's posted on Jow Forums then it must be true.

Meanwhile Jow Forums memes shit like BFI or lightboost as a good thing

lol clueless retards
LG is making new oled screen factory in Korea

actually they're making a new one in china since japan banned export to gookland

microled is just marketing meme word
and this is actually next gen oled

LG constantly improving oled technology
you just not following it

they're not. they're not able to.

sure, with the use of abl, screen shifting, pixel refreshers and screensavers they've managed to get a little more juice out of the oleds. but the underlying technology hasn't changed. oleds today have the same inherent life span they did years ago. they break down at the same rate.
all they've been doing is rearrange the deck chairs on the Titanic

+ they increased area of red emiters

Rtings seems to suggest otherwise, and they're thorough. Are you sure you're not shitting on the QLED because you're an edgy clueless contrarian? Or perhaps the blogger you listen to is the edgy one?

true, they've almost doubled the size of the red subpixel, which should theoretically double the duration before burn in sets in, but that's still not adressing the real issues.

Attached: LG's OLED R&D department.gif (300x264, 207K)

>NU8000 is better in everyway than the Q60r.
they're both shit

2k x 2k micro oled display
this is probably for VR
m.youtube.com/watch?v=DcNQHeI31OE

qled is just led and led is shit

One thing which really impresses me with QLED is the lack of reflection on the screen.

what I know for sure is that for about 6 or 7 years they will probably make some mind blowing out of this world screen technology and for that time my A9F will serve me well

Attached: 20190715_210629 - Copy.jpg (4032x3024, 1.94M)

Honestly we all fucked up trading in CRT for LCD. CRT is a better technology. Only now we have OLED which is FINALLY a worthy successor to CRT. And it cost a shit ton. We could have advanced CRT to far greater heights - probably greater than the current best OLED even and for less $.

But no we had to have flat screens so bad that we accepted shitty picture quality, 60hz, limited viewing angles, and slow response times as the new standard. It was a huge step backwards in every way.

Modern LCD screens have a single advantage over now ancient CRT - they're made in higher resolution now since CRT hasn't been developed in forever. However the nicest 1080p LCD of today looks like dogshit next to even an average 1600 x 1200 CRT from long ago.

But back to your question - wait for OLED monitors that can actually receive 4k content @ 120hz or better. Current HDMI can't handle that shit because it is too much bandwidth. Nor can display port etc unless my info is outdated. So wait a little longer like I am.

patrician fucking tv

Attached: 1236628196802.jpg (1024x768, 187K)

I should correct myself though. SED should have been the successor to CRT but it got killed by lawsuits.

Source: I used to work for Toshiba. This technology was jointly developed and squabbling over it killed it forever. Fucking lawyers...

>SED
>squabbling over it killed it forever
It's now a decade later, with no worthy successors, and I'm still fucking mad.

Attached: SED tv.jpg (1024x657, 445K)

>4k
Placebo bullshit. Just work on improvment in Hz and use 1080 which is MORE than good enough for fucking forever.

JOLED

Attached: D696E547-F524-44F5-AE6F-1D85782A2C10.jpg (500x500, 28K)

>Placebo bullshit. Just work on improvment in Hz and use 1080 which is MORE than good enough for fucking forever.
Your eyes are bullshit. Get an eye doctor to check that out. More pixels in a smaller space is better. Though I won't know if 8k is gonna be worth it except for really fucking big displays. Still this is simple to understand. The larger you make a display, the pixels become physically larger unless you are packing in more pixels.
>It's now a decade later, with no worthy successors, and I'm still fucking mad.
I fucking feel ya.

Hz ?
I don’t need more than 23,976

I just want a 55 inch TV capable of 1440p @ 120hz, VRR with full RGB and great HDR over HDMI 2.1 or even better over DisplayPort.

May as well throw in 3D while you're at it, because it's not going to happen

Literally LG C9.

it seems that displayport will be abandoned
new ASUS PQ22UC has only USB-C x 2 and micro hdmi
asus.com/Monitors/ProArt-PQ22UC/

Using the displayport standard, though.
Also, smaller connectors are usually worse so I'm not sure that USB-C will really take off

That's not what Rtings says.

>better, more expensive
Nah. Micro LED is almost here and it's cheaper than OLED.

Attached: 1562616688758.jpg (667x593, 67K)

>fags thinking MicroLED will be some magic new thing to save the day
It's literally just small LEDs. That's it. It won't be as good as you think.

>but nobody actually implements electroluminescent quantum dots
FTFY
True electro-emmissive QD is many years away from commercialization.

MicroLED will be on the same league as OLED but without the organic part which is the main issue with OLED
You also seem to underestimate how pure of a color an LED can emit, the purity of your sub-pixels determines your gamut and LEDs can do a hell of a lot better than the sub-pixel of an LCD

How long until it's affordable though?
>inb4 poorfag

For PC monitors? Probably not for a very long time because monitor makers are greedy scum
It'll be affordable in TVs first since MicroLED seems be easier to make with larger screens

>monitor makers are greedy scum
They cost more primarily because response times are TVs are garbage. They make shitty monitors.

Here are your options
1) C8/C9 if you really care about being able to utilize 4K, HDR, and HFR simultaneously while getting perfect blacks
2) Vizio P Series Quantum (X)

>because response times are TVs are garbage. They make shitty monitors.
Have you even looked at a TV in the last few years?
The response times from even garbage TCL 4K TVs can rival lots of IPS panels
Input lag is the same story, if they are on game/PC mode you would be very hard pressed to be mad at anywhere from 12-15ms of input lag considering even a Acer Predator X27 which is a 4k 120hz display gets 12.3ms

>HFR
pls explain for brainlet

high frame rate

Bump

I have a C8 and mainly use it with an Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, it's the best looking display I've ever seen personally. (OLED in general I mean)
>Nah. Micro LED is almost here and it's cheaper than OLED.
It's years away from mainstream adoption, Samsung is the one spreading this BS to try and stop people from buying OLED. Anyone that's seen them side by side knows OLED shits on everything else available to consumers.

>Expensive as fuck
>Literally has an expiry date due to organic rot
>Burn in
Wait for micro led and don't waste money on this shit. Better black is not worth it at all.

It's got an expiration date of years and burn-in isn't that big of a problem on newer OLEDs.

My brother gave me his old OLED TV and it's pretty freaking great

OLED will likely become obsolete.

It has the best black levels but its crippling wekness is that they cannot acheive high enough brightness and thus their contrast ratio is utter dogshit.

There a new design using micro LEDs and a new double backlight layer that acheives black levels 98~% close to OLED while having the brightness levels of LED giving order of magnitude better contrast.

Thats going to the be the tech that everyone wants going forward.

>cannot acheive high enough brightness and thus their contrast ratio is utter dogshit
Contrast ratio is independent of actual brightness output, it's a ratio after all
a display with a 1000 nit brightness output while displaying white and a 1 nit output while displaying black can be said to a a 1000:1 contrast ratio
a display that instead displays a 100 nit output while white and a 0.1 nit output while displaying black has the same 1000:1 contrast ratio
OLED can go from full brightness to not emitting any light at all so it can be said to have an infinity:1 contrast ratio regardless of how bright the light output is while displaying white

>There a new design using micro LEDs and a new double backlight layer that acheives black levels 98~% close to OLED while having the brightness levels of LED giving order of magnitude better contrast.
MicroLED is emissive like OLED there is no backlight
You seem to be confusing dual LCD or miniLED which are both innovations in LCD tech with MicroLED which is again a emissive tech

>dude it's definitely worth it!
>just make sure you never have an idle screen though or you'll ruin it!
lol.

My old galaxy S6 still has no burn in whatsoever.

JOLED is actually microLED
pure RGB stripe OLED

in the meantime LG has brought some special DuPont printing technology and they will start making something similair to joled very soon

what type of anti glare coating a screen has has nothing to do with the screen technology. and qled is the same as led

20 years

>they cannot acheive high enough brightness
oh fuck off cunt, you're not gonna be watching tv on the beach. it's thanks to retards like you i can't watch my tv in a dark room

JOLED is a company, you drooling retard

and what is microled? it's marketing name retard

>contrast ratio is utter dogshit
The contrast ratio is literally infinite.

why not just buy a refurbished plasma tv ?

It must be a pain to be so retarded.

how much is samsung paying you user?

It's a technology distinct from the regular LEDs, cretin.
>the state of Jow Forums brainlets

Recent Samsung TVs deliver 1440p@120hz with sub 10ms. That's faster than your average 144hz gaming monitor. Check rtings dot com

are the idiots spewing that "wait for microled its just around the corner" actually the same idiots telling the same bullshit about OLED 15 years ago?

>remembering stuff from 15 years ago
imagine being this boomer

OLED has been available for years
Just this past year when I was looking for a good TV I could’ve saved a bit more and gotten an OLED but I didn’t since it was only going to be used on a PC and I don’t want to risk it
Some laptops have had OLED panel options
You don’t see it in the desktop PC market primary because monitor companies are complete and utter filth and everything is an excuse to change a premium, another reason would be burn in but that didn’t stop them putting it in laptops
ASUS right now has the brass balls to charge $5k for a 21” 1080p OLED
Alienware has a 55” 4K 120Hz OLED and no doubt will be in the $4-5k range
The Alienware doesn’t seem like a bad deal until you realize LG’s C9 which is also a 55” 4K 120hz panel and will do everything the Alienware can do is available right now for $1499

JOLED makes OLED panels, not MicroLED

OLED = organic LED
MicroLED = really small inorganic LED (same shit that's probably in your current monitor's backlight, but a lot smaller and way more of them)

Both technologies are self-emmissive LEDs, but there are big differences in the materials used and manufacturing processes.

ye ok but joled screen in asus monitor is discrete RGB oled not w-oled like in oled tv’s

How's the burn-in these days? Fuck using an OLED when that's just going to result in stuff like my icons and taskbar burning into the screen

than don’t have icons on desktop
taskbar auto hide
auto rotating wallpapers

How about I shouldn't need to constantly play peekaboo and musical chairs with my OS just to make sure the screen doesn't fuck up.
Until someone fixes this, OLED will forever be a meme

It's not a meme, it just requires some preventative measures if you want to avoid problems down the line. If you're willing to do that, it's pretty much the best image quality money can buy.

image quality doesn't mean jack shit if I have to constantly worry about things on my screen being stationary for too long.

it is really for people that are willing to make convenience compromises to get best picture quality, you are the opposite of that, you are ok with picture quality compromises to have more convenient setup
well there is a third way, sort of brute forcing it with money so when it goes wrong after thousands of hours of use, you simply replace it, like people already do with highend phones

I just think they're only worth it for a very narrow set of uses, such as purely as a TV that's only playing normal shows. Stuff like sportsball or cable news will shrek it due to persistent UI elements. Hell even movies will theoretically fuck it up due to the black bars from 2.39:1 playing on 16:9. And using OLED for computing is a hard pass. Even with phones, I've seen far too many people with burned-in screens with all their apps and UI elements still visible to know that's a foolish choice.

I really do hope they figure out some way to fix these problems. I like my tech to last.

are all computer parts not disposable?

Also is there a wayy to remap my desktop icons to be small anime waifu's who will dance around my desktop enviroment having antics and adventures to prevent screenburn?

niggerlover are you dissing his advice? this is 9/10 top tier advice. it's not "keep a messy desktop" levels of advice but it's pretty good.

and serioisly
>It's 2019 and he doesn't have 1000+ anime image wallpapers set to autorotate

The point I'm making is that I shouldn't have to make concessions and constantly have to worry about not leaving UI elements in static positions to make sure my screen doesn't get completely fucked up. Yeah, if I owned an OLED screen, I'd probably do that stuff to make it last longer. But I'd rather just not own one and not deal with it. Ain't worth it.

I just want a 60+" 4k OLED with freesync

Do TVs with freesync even exist on the market?

Get a high quality LED with local zone dimming like the Sony X900F

Attached: bugs_boomer.jpg (600x373, 45K)

>Do TVs with freesync even exist on the market?
Yes, and pretty soon ones with G-Sync will

>Get a high quality LED with local zone dimming
So the Samsung Q9FN

>constantly worry about things on my screen being stationary for too long
oh you got it wrong little bit, if we are talking about same icons in same space or windows toolbar, that would definitely show up after enough time, probably hunders or thousands of hours depending on color and brightness
but random stuff like huds in games you forgot to shut down for few hours? lol no
burn in in case of oled simply means uneven wear of subpixels, so if group of pixels use one of subpixels for thousand of hours more than other pixels, displayed result will be different, if the wear is relatively even, after lets say 5000 hours you can calibrate your set to have similar colors with maybe 5% loss of brightness (look up tests of lcd sets backlighting to see that even it detoriates over time, funnily lg sets are most known for it)

you are obviously not target group

they have hdmi vrr, which is basically same thing, there might be freesync/gsync ones in future (alienware)

The X900F is 95% as good for half the price

which are terrible haloing shitshow once you start watching dark content with bright areas or even bigger shitshow if you try darker games
positive is that they are not as bad as these gaming fald monitors, which are haloing nightmares completely ruining picture even if you just hover mouse over darker area