Any good reason not to use fingerprints over passwords in 2019?

Any good reason not to use fingerprints over passwords in 2019?

Attached: vivo-phone-ces-2018-8945.jpg (756x425, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

source.android.com/security/biometric
androidcentral.com/how-does-android-save-your-fingerprints
theguardian.com/technology/2015/sep/23/us-government-hack-stole-fingerprints
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

it's gay

fingerprints aren't unique
neither is your password
checkmate libtards

Muh botnet?

If you don’t have fingers.

I was actually able to add my dick to my phone's fingerprint sensor

Any rugged skin surface works.

You can't change your fingerprints in case your accounts get compromised. Also they are in a database somewhere from when you had your passport made, etc.

well in case it gets compromised you cant change them but in the off chance it happens you CAN change back to passwords.

from official documentation they are supposed to not be able to leave your phone (e.g. you cannot replace the hardware part of a fingerprint sensor because your phone will never accept it, the ability to unlock with prints goes "out" of your phone when you remove the old sensor and you can't renew it ever at least in iPhones thats the case)

The odds of someone having the same password as you are way higher than someone having the same password. Like many degrees of magnitude higher.

use your nips or your penis.

>The odds of someone having the same password as you are way higher than someone having the same password.
what

The fingerprint scanner fucking sucks in humid weather or with sweaty hands, at least, on my only device with a fingerprint scanner.

passwords are more secure than passwords

This is a good read:
source.android.com/security/biometric

Hello CIA :)
No. Fingerprints are very secure. I use them on all my 1 (one) device that I have. I only have 1 (one) just so you know. :)

Fingerprints are supposed to be unreliable. The methods they use to identify the fingerprint often report false positives. Most phones fix this by giving you a limited number of attempts, which they have to do because otherwise a crook or organisation could quite quickly unlock the phone just by trying lots of fingerprints. I still use it though because it's convenient and I doubt there are that many committed crooks or organisations after my phone.

Using any sort of biometrics for verification is terrible idea, period. If your password is compromised, replacing it is trivial. If your fingerprints are compromised, you're fucked.

The Chinese government has a lot of fingerprints.

The real question is: Is there any good reason not to use facial recognition over fingerprints in 2019?

fingerprints are easy to burn off accidentally. I've done it on occasion. Luckily my employer had more than one print so i could still get through the door

Fingerprints are a method used for convenience, not security. Same as facial recognition. Can be faked. The question is whether or not someone's gonna bother with your shit. If you live in a place where people get their shit easily stolen and you're not careful, yeah, might be a problem. If you're around people who are interested enough in your life that they'll want to take info from you, yeah. If you keep shit that's really important on your phone and sensitive data, well, no need to tell you.

However most people use weak shitty passwords, use these methods, all to just put a very basic, flimsy layer of security that the random nobody won't easily access or be interested to.

Easier to fake if I'm not mistaken. Some facial recognition systems can even detect you with your eyes close (so someone could unlock it while you're sleeping) or by just putting a picture of you in front of the freaking camera.

If it's a secondary method that's not a problem. You just punch in whatever code you associated to that. Fingerprints should never be used as the only available mechanism (I'm not sure if android even lets you unlock your phone with a fingerprint and no pin code)

Don't know what janky facial recognition system you're talking about mate, literally none of those apply.

Samsung's for instance. Crazy fast and crazy easy to unlock. I would use it over my fingerprint (mainly because it's faster) if it weren't for those facts. I tried it myself.

Well, they're not secure, for one.

>i cut your finger off
>i control your info
easy

user you ok?

Damn well fuck them I guess. Never used a Samsung phone.

Very easy to break fingerprint locks. Not so easy to break proper passwords or swipe locks that require a code other than your fingerprint. The fingerprint lock is just very inaccurate.

I use my nose when using my phone.

>giving Apple your fingerprint
>giving Google your fingerprint
>giving Microsoft your fingerprint
What could possibly go wrong? It's not like Apple was fined 14 billion for breaking the law. Its not like Google was fined 5 billion for breaking the law. It's not like Microsoft was fined 1 billion and forced the DOJ to step in and take them to court twice...

How long until something gets hacked and 200+ million finger prints are exposed?

Attached: 1523323653820.jpg (500x500, 58K)

Here, learn a little something:

>source.android.com/security/biometric
>Google
>Google says it isn't stored therefore it isn't stored
So when Google lied to the EU and used their influence to pimp their downstream businesses and send traffic to their own properties, you believed them when they said they weren't doing it because you trust Google?

Seriously user... Trust is earned... Please explain why you trust anything Google says.

If you're sleeping, unconscious, incapacitated or restrained, someone can unlock your phone using your finger. Doesn't help that your fingerprint can be collected on an object you touched and imprinted onto a sheet of silicone and used to unlock your phone. It simply isn't secure.

you can use toes

cope

Fingerprints are inherently not secure. Guess what is used to encrypt your storage - not your fingerprints, even if you set them up. Even Google isn't that retarded.

>fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me
Only a true egomaniac would believe Google wouldn't lie to them after they lied to the EU.

You don't even have the money to begin to mount a legal case against Google. They can do whatever they want to you and you're too small for them to even notice.

Attached: 1516903121920.png (233x255, 76K)

I never even implied that I trust anyone, forget Google. A fingerprint scanner is a separate physical device in your smartphone and stores biometric data on itself without even the CPU having access to it, nor the internet. There's also nothing to blindly trust, because you can see the source code of the software operating with biometric data on your phone.
androidcentral.com/how-does-android-save-your-fingerprints

you don't belong on Jow Forums.

>Any good reason

How about not having your password literally written on your fingers the whole time.

>Any good reason not to use fingerprints over passwords in 2019?
yes

Attached: the_prisoner.jpg (1030x761, 913K)

This, saw it in a hentai

Not with apple shit.
When my cousin went into a coma they couldn't unlock his iphone because it complained about "too cold" or something.

I don't get what people's problem is with that. I mean yeah I get it too but
>wipe finger on shirt or pants
>works again

They also check for pulse apparently, so a dead person's finger, a cut-off one (pulse may be simulated by pumping water into it) or a fingerprint recreation won't work.

Absolutely BASED apple.

there was a news story a while back about some grade-school kid who would wait for his mom to doze off and then swipe her fingerprint so he could buy hundreds of dollars worth of crap in some mobile game.

genius

>having a password on your phone
Its sole purpose is a quick computer you can fit in your pocket. Bring a laptop if you’re doing anything important.

Lmao just put his hand in a microwave, like nigga you cant be srs

Some high-end biometric scanners can determine if the eye of the finger is alive or not.

Attached: biosled.jpg (555x370, 122K)

You are naive if you believe the fingerprint scanner is an isolated system and wont record metadata

How did this nigga get on Jow Forums

>Google uses what they call Trusty TEE to support this. A very small and efficient operating system, appropriately named Trusty OS
Yes goyum look how trust worthy we are being

i get what you meant and its still retarded because your fingerprints have an entropy of practically zero. it better than typing '0000' and if you want to spend minimal effort for maximum snoop protection then biometrics work, but in terms of actual security they will not prevent anyone from figuring out how to open your phone, because if your phone is locked with your fingerprint then the key is your finger, that's not exactly a secret

once the hardware abstraction gets cracked and a database of prints gets leaked its pretty much permanently game over for fingerprint readers

Don't forget that you leave "your password" on literally every object you touch. Not super secure.

Yeah, if you want to be paranoid and need to protect yourself from the CIA or you don't trust your gf... you can always switch to password if you need that, so it doesn't have to be exclusive.
But for convenience/speed fingerprint is great, assuming it works.

Doesn't always work if your fingers have been soaked wet from swimming or long time of sweating (sport).

I no longer trust giving anyone finger prints. I used to be a combat engineer, had a security clearance whatever. I just get out of the army and I receive a letter in the mail. Apparently my biometrics and social security number were stolen from the DoD along with millions of others. Letter says that I shouldn't worry because the technology to properly exploit stolen biometrics doesn't exist and I'm getting 2 years credit monitoring services for free! Yay!

theguardian.com/technology/2015/sep/23/us-government-hack-stole-fingerprints
Shit source but it is related.

these are the people that pay for some bullshit home security alarm system that constantly malfunctions and who leave their doors unlocked because they live in a 'good neighborhood' in trust of some piezoelectric screech. there is no concept of security outside of what is in their immediate perception and what they have been marketed

Who the fuck cares about big crime syndicates and gubertments getting into your phones? This shit is purely to make hans and jamal stop sniffing through your emails/messages/contacts whatever.

yeah so what's stopping jamal from knocking you over the head and using your finger to get into your phone

Doesn't matter, jamal is now in jail for assault and i get some fuckyou money from his mother.

is there a good reason to only use 10 unique passwords?

You can't force my finger on the screen and unlock the device.

this is a very real problem
how to address it? tap codes? finger codes?

bullshit semantics aside - the key to open the phone is obvious to everyone. that's not very good security. it's good enough, but its by far the weakest option

there isn't one because this is a fundamental problem with biometrics as cryptographic security. it isn't particularly good entropy. its enough, but people generally dont brag about how easy to open the locks on their house are, and its not because people don't enter their house a lot

Easy. Only program it to use one finger and if the feds force you to unlock it, use the wrong finger until the system hardlocks to the swipe/pin code. You're fucked if you used facial recognition, but iPhone users get everything that's coming to them.

True, but if it is enough to stop sniffing neighbors or thieves then it is enough for me. I don't use insecure payment methods on my phones so even if someone got in they would never be able to steal money or something else of worth from me.

They're insecure as fuck

>use the wrong finger
they can restrain you and use your thumb/index finger (as if anyone uses any others) to unlock it

what if your finger print melts off? its possible

They are still more secure than 4 digits unlock codes. Just don't play with play doh slime.

>using a smartphone whatsoever

>not biting your finger off before they take you

cmon lad

but i use the tip of my penis.

fingerprints are convenient, but not massively secure

although, I'm pretty sure it's more effort to get your fingerprint and then get the reader to accept the fake finger than to just look over your shoulder while you type in a 4-6 digit number

I don't know where you live, but in shitty Eastern Europe you don't have to give out your fingerprints unless you're suspected of a felony. Where do you expect "hackers" to "leak" those fingerprint DBs from?

I actually know someone who lost her fingers in a fire. FPR worked fine on her finger stumps, but now she uses face id.

fingerprint unlocking causes my phone to reboot, that's how shitty they are

Have you never seen a single movie, OP? Have fun getting your finger chopped off.

try out some autofelatio and then bite off your dick, or they'll cut it off for you.

You can't change your fingerprint.

>having security on your phone
When I press the button it wakes up and I can directly mind my business. I don't have time for typing a password or correctly positioning my finger on the sensor.
t.Galaxy S8 owner

I'd really like if websites \ applications started using some kind of API (google, apple, wtvr), that like Google's authenticator would prompt a finger print on your personal device and logged in without the hassle of using password managers.

The site could even send a unique code for first time use that would create some kind of private key for that use in association with the finger print. There are numerous ways to mitigate false positives.

Its just a waste having all these sensors around and not taking advantage of them.

U retarded

You just havent tried hard enough

iCloud is using TouchID/FaceID now, Apple is going to roll support for it out soon.

icloud.com*

Android is open source dude

Pains me to see Apple being the ones pushing this forward, but good on them.

Hopefully others are not far behind.

You guys have never tried to program even a simple sensor, or never even bothered to even read the datasheet of a fingerprint reader, have you?

I agree that google harvests a shitton of data for potentially malicious purposes, but you guys are retarded if you think anybody can reconstruct your fingerprints just from a fingerprint reader output.

Attached: 1560909061849.jpg (480x480, 21K)

>hah u dum u wrong
Yeah, great. And great sources you posted too.

LEGALLY BINDING

Source or it didn't happen. Still wouldn't help you if you're being restrained though.

>p(x)>p(x)
>Jow Forums

Fingerprints are more secure, imagine how many possible fingerprints there are compared to passwords

how it works is this - each fingerprint is boiled down to a number about 12 digits long. The numbers arent unique since there arent an infinite number of 12 digit sequences and therefore there is a finite time it would take to crack the sequence

>dip his finger in hot water
>profit
So secure