Let's discuss decentralized social media. Mastodon, Pleroma, Peertube, and rest of the Fediverse...

Let's discuss decentralized social media. Mastodon, Pleroma, Peertube, and rest of the Fediverse. What instances are you using?

Attached: Mastodon_Mascot_(Greeting).png (1012x1235, 142K)

Other urls found in this thread:

accela.online/
letsalllovela.in/main/public
kiwifarms.cc/main/public
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I don't use social media.

ur mom

Attached: 1453153145754.jpg (340x436, 87K)

Jow Forums is social media

I'm too stupid for this shit. I don't even know what I'm supposed to post there or in any other social network

Jow Forums is antisocial media

Using none of them because if my normies friends aren't using them what the fuck is the point?

Use a pic of lain next time
Also mastodon a shit

Do one use twitter to connect with friends or for banter and bans?
Personally latter for me.

No it isn't.

Is there a Lain instance?

Attached: lainwave.gif (758x866, 479K)

It is, though.

Is Pleroma better than Mastodon?

accela.online/

So am i forever stuck with the first instance I join? Was wanting to post on another but can't seem to find a way to.

Pleroma is based. The others are not.

Just make a new account.

Post pictures of what you're doing or have but make sure your face appears on the picture.

letsalllovela.in/main/public

>tfw you will never be a part of the network's kool kids klub
;_:

It's basically twitter. You can only post to your own account, and your account is on a particular instance. You could obviously make a second account on a different instance, if you really wanted to.

That’s stupid. This is advertised as a decentralized “network”, yet you can’t freely post to any instance you’re not blocked from?

politics ruined the network and now you have authoritarian shitbrained loonies dictating who gets to be blacklisted for not using the right pronouns.

how can I break into some tech circles on mastodon? I've no idea where to start, idk anyone on there

We're all bots here, please stop fucking with our mother AI with the S word.

>yet you can’t freely post to any instance you’re not blocked from?
You can reply/follow/whatever to people on other instances. I don't understand what you mean by "post to any instance".

Join a technology related instance and start harassing people. Soon enough, you'll start to get noticed.

Your home shows the people you follow, your local shows from your instance, your federated timeline shoes from the entire fediverse

Attached: proeoet-589805fcaa775.jpg (925x545, 73K)

Niu.moe seems ok
Also OP of the first thread of this, did I just start something?

>politics ruined the network
No it didn't. The network has always been like that. Instance admins could always block whoever they wanted by design. This shouldn't affect you because you can always choose what server you want to be on.

>The network has always been like that.
before mastodon it was very different, mastodon basically destroyed a nice place.

>your federated timeline shoes from the entire fediverse
That's not accurate, though.

"The federated timeline is everything on the local timeline, plus everybody who is followed by someone on your instance."

>a nice place
You mean GNU social and all its 3 users?

I wouldn't mind running my own Pleroma instance, but my VPS is already kinda full because of Nextcloud and I would have to buy a new domain.

I have been thinking about hosting a server for family and friend to have some reason to use it. I'm sure I'll get around to it some day.

zerg rushing a tiny network with incompatible shithead users is a dick move, yes.

Nextcloud Social can federate with Mastodon/Pleroma/etc

It's still in alpha.

>Peertube
my nigga

Weird, all the old GNU social instances I used to frequent are still very small and are still there and were not affected by "incompatible shithead users"

>all the old GNU social instances I used to frequent are still very small
That's because they probably look like shit.

Attached: Screenshot_20190716_015559.png (986x830, 207K)

Why do you let retards on your instance?

so far, i've found the following which seem active and not too shitty
kiwifarms.cc
qoto.org
freespeechextremist.com
pl.smuglo.li
linuxrocks.online
infosec.exchange
and social.quodverum.com for boomer posts

It's not the real rms, just a bot.

a lot of services and internet stuff was decentralized to begin with just out of necessity, and also because it was a more robust way to do things.
Usenet propagated messages in a distributed fashion
XMPP is secure and decentralized, so you can run your own server and talk with people on others
More recently, Secure Scuttlebutt is not only decentralized, it works off-grid
I like mastodon and pleroma and all that, but all this stuff has been in existence and working for years. If you want robust, decentralized, anti-censorship, anti-corporate communications, look into the aforementioned software and services

The difference here is that Mastodon, etc. are federated software. They use open standards and protocols to enable interoperability between servers that might not even run the same software.

kiwifarms is a pretty infamous shithole

lol keep crying nazi bitch

lmao you just listed all the nazi instances that every single major instance on the entire fediverse have blocked

Good. Most people don't want to talk to trannies.

you say that like it's a bad thing

yes that's true, and it makes it very easy to use some pretty good software to talk to people mostly away from terrible corporate influences
All I'm saying is that there are other things that have been in existence that might even work better, though maybe it's not as easy. Usenet is all the same wherever you go, I think, and so is XMPP overall, aside from some client-specific features. Email is also decentralized and federated if you think about it

I don't use any microblogging instances, just XMPP
cock.li & calyxinstitute
what are the major instances?

those are the major ones, along with gab.com

gab is a cringe company though

well you said major, and their the most active instance

gab is the largest mastadon instance, according to their directory.

I just joined a few instances yesterday and holy shit. I always thought people on Jow Forums heavily exaggerated the amount of trannies and furries online but these mainstream mastadon instances are magnets for them. It's like you have to choose. Do you want to be on a server with 90% unironic nazis or a server filled with furry avatars larping as animals. There's no inbetween.

Attached: IMG_20151031_184644.jpg (3120x4160, 3.07M)

It's great never the less.

Or, the patrician option: be in a server with just yourself, and only follow people who aren't retards

As always everyone, kiwifarms.cc is the one and only instance that promotes diversity among it's members and it truly thrives, showing that diversity is truly our strength.

Attached: tijzpeqsorp01.jpg (720x712, 64K)

>what are the major instances?
Mostly Japanese ones.

pawoo.net
mstdn.jp

Western ones are mastodon.social niu.moe radical.town etc

i dont understand how you discover new people to follow if you were self-hosting.

Go to other instances and browse their public feeds and profiles. Once you get started, you can find other interesting users through retweets and such

Once you follow some people, you start to see them boost other people in your timeline and then you can follow them too.

RMS doesn't qualify, he only has mild autism.

I have a pawoo but before I got into all this the whole thing got surrounded by gay communist nazis shitting everywhere so I stopped giving a shit

I mentally picture mastodon like oblivion realms from TES.

can someone give me a single reason why I should use twitter for freetards

less noise than regular twatter

It has more crazy people to laugh at.

Good, I only started using Twitter to follow Japanese artists and circles.
I hope it takes off like wildfire there.

I dipped my toes into the Fediverse by signing up at kiwifarms.cc. Seemed like the most shit-posting instance available.

You are now on a terrorist watch list, though.

You can watch the public timeline without signing up.
kiwifarms.cc/main/public

Is there a reasonable federated thing that supports voice chat, e.g. over webrtc? Is there a standard way to do this, or is it still just individual, incompatible apps?

reminder

Attached: 1534225920830.png (1640x445, 41K)

yes

A webclient for Mastodon and Pleroma which looks like Twitter
www.halcyon.social

looks better than mastodon