What the fuck is it with modern hardware and the apparent competition to remove as much fucking I/O as possible?!

What the fuck is it with modern hardware and the apparent competition to remove as much fucking I/O as possible?!

>I can't physically connect shit to my phone or laptop to do anything practical, but damn does that 32k panel look great on a

Attached: main-qimg-850569cfa0ffb1c13442234f967752d2.jpg (602x386, 49K)

Copying all the bad stuff apple does.

Everyone wants to be apple and of course EVERYONE wants to own an apple.

Cheaper to make and the goyim still buy it, even though it's shit. Same reason every laptop has a chicklet keyboard these days too.

You don't own nothin' goy.

Buy a $400 USB hub, goy.

No idea, all my laptops have plenty of I/O. Ethernet, several USB 3.1, thunderbolt, mini-DP, full HDMI, headphones out, microphone in. Stop buying shitty ultrabooks and other retarded fashion accessory computers.

>to remove as much fucking I/O as possible?!
I understand why people would be mad about stuff like the macbook with only 2 USB-C ports.
But if the Macbook had as many USB-C ports as the bottom one has any ports, what would be the issue?
Except for ethernet USB-C can pretty much do everything those ports can, natively.
Displayport? Covered.
USB? Covered.
Charging? Covered.
USB-C once was supposed to be able to transmit analog signals as well, if it'll ever be included/supported, it'd cover the headphone jack as well.

Having a single port for everything sounds pretty good to me, why is Jow Forums so much against it?

They just follow Apple.

Just buy a dongle. Best of both worlds. If you need that many peripherals plugged in on that regular a basis should have got a desktop.

mobility, more battery space per overall smaller device, uniformity (one connector for literally everything)

Already a pain in the ass moving from site to site every hour and having to plug equipment into my usb hub. Let me just make this better by lugging around a desktop and inverter to power the fucking thing and it's monitor and I guess I will be needing to carry around a desk too for the mouse and keyboard.

Attached: iStock-597242606-e1502982873946.jpg (1600x900, 157K)

because if instead of having 2 regular USB-A, with 2 USB-C, 1 HDMI or Display port and 1 Ethernet port I only have USB-C (even if I have 6 of those) then I need a fucking dongle for every peripheral that isn't USB-C.
And consider that there aren't many USB-C peripheral on the market, even now, almost 5 years after the release of the first USB-C only macbook

But if every manufacturer committed to everything over USB-C, there'd be no need for any dongles.
I know where you're coming from and why you want more I/O on your device, I wouldn't want a USB-C only device right now either. But I think that the aim of having one port for everything in the long run would be pretty dope.

you're in the wrong board fren

Attached: go1.gif (200x200, 925K)

So you pay the same price for a computer with less actual things included.
My stupid Samsung laptop from 2012 has:
- HDMI output
- VGA output
- 2 Jack connectors
- 3 USB ports
- RJ45 port
- SD card slot
- DVD drive

someone explaining the situation doesn't mean that he wants that situation to be like it is.

I can get all of those with one $20 dongle. And I only have to plug the dongle in instead of 5 cables when I get home.

That's the point.
You have to buy and pay extra for things that were included

The problem with making everything USB-C is ending up with identical looking ports not necessarily having the capabilities you need, this is already happening today with the clusterfuck that is docking stations using a USB-C shaped object to connect. Making every port handle every sort of signaling the PC might use is kind of expensive, so you're likely either ending up with a very limited selection of truly universal ports or a really annoying guessing game of which USB-C actually supports particular sort of connection. USB-IF being retards with idiotic standard names like USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 doesn't help one bit either.

The normie thinks it looks better and he is the best possible customer - there are many of him and he pays more for less. The Ideal customer.

I Like my old fujitsu badboy and its dock.
I think I'm going to put some usb3.0 in that pcmcia port

its nice to see normies trying to deal with the fact that this 2009
thing can read your fingerprint, turn the screen as tablet, has a wacom pen
and has a 2nd battery.

Attached: t5010.jpg (4022x3396, 1.59M)

Because now instead of being shit out of luck that your computer has only one display out or two USB you have four ports that can do everything. The only thing they really removed without a substitute is the SD card reader.

Dell Precision master race

Attached: 855288179_o (1).png (1600x891, 1.57M)

Works on my ThinkPad. Just stop buying "uLtRaBoOkS" and you'll be fine.

>design laptop with only 2 USB c ports
>sell dongles
>different dongle for different ports, requiring users to buy and daisy chain multiple dongles
>eventually breaks the port after too much stress
>don't cover repair under warranty because the issue was the user putting the port under an unecessary amout of stress, not your laptop being built like shit
valid business strategy

look at all that bloat

Um, sweaty, you've got it kinda backwards there.

Hardware bloat good
Software bloat bad

How does fewer ports lead to better mobility? The battery doesn't overlap the mobo so having extra ports wont affect battery size. \

What uniformity? I have to carry a dongle for every connector I might need, my laptop is 2mm thinner than my old one, but I need to carry 4-5 dongles or a hub with me everywhere I go.

What if you have to connect to something at work/school/anywhere else. You actually need to carry that $20 dongle with you everywhere you go, then when you get home you need to connect those same 5 cables to the dongle, unless your solution is..... More dongles

Unless you don't have the right dongle. Then you're still shit out of luck.

to make it easier for people. obviously it was a poor move since companies have yet to actually move on to usb c after 3 or so years

Apple, and all the other manufacturers behind them, realize this. They just don't care. They know that a bunch of people are fashion victims who mostly base their buying decision on how something looks, so they make something with looks in accord with current trends, functionality be damned.

A lot of the users then have the annoyance of carrying around dongles and the like, but does that inform their buying decisions when it comes time to replace the thing? Generally not, because they're superficial people and are easily re-seduced by something sufficiently thin and shiny.

whats the point of having ports you never use.

You have to be really insecure to think that literally anybody you ever meet will judge you based on what computer or phone you have.

I can't tell you how many times I have had variations of the following happen, in all sorts of computer-equipment areas:
>Time T: "I don't need an X, when would I ever use that?"
>Time T+2yrs: "God, an X would really come in handy right now, why didn't I think of that when I got this?"

Don't buy dongles buy new cables.

Because companies produce products for the masses not just trust fund hipsters that can afford to replace all their electronics every couple of years. If everyone moved to usb c then you couldn't slowly upgrade your devices/peripherals, you'd need to get everything all at once. Most people/corporations can't afford to do that.

WTF kind of answer is that? I'd rather carry dongles with me than cables.
"Before I start my presentation let me just rewire the podium, because my shit laptop only has usb c"

>Before I start my presentation let me just rewire the podium, because my shit laptop only has usb c

Attached: 1555521326228.jpg (585x398, 18K)

Head on back to redddit now

If it's for other people's hardware then yeah you'll need dongles. Ideally they should buy new cables though. No different from transitioning from VGA to HDMI.

Only that the truth is that's it's not as simple as just replacing the VGA cable to the projector with USB-C because projectors still basically only use VGA and some offer HDMI and no one is going to upgrade their entire office / uni / whatever just to accommodate a few retards with ultrabooks.

Every manufacturer is including a USB-C port now other than Microsoft and some really shit tier grandma laptops.

Also Apple, Dell, and Lenovo all sell laptops that are USB-C only now so offices and unis are going to be forced to upgrade their hardware if they want people to be able to use it.

The transition from VGA to HDMI was really slow, monitors had both connectors so that transitioning could be done over years. With the way Apple has done usb c you need to buy everything all at once.

Usb C is superior to all of those

But why would they need to buy new cables if they don't own devices that only have usb c. Apple users are the only ones that are struggling right now, every other manufacturer kept the legacy ports and added usb c

Why upgrade your equipment when everyone will just buy a dongle?

Becuse you buy it anyway.

>expresscard slot isn't bloat
all bloat is bloat. what the fuck is it even good for? nobody uses it

Don't buy commerical laptops

Buy business one, it has the ports you need

Think of it as an internal dongle. If you need more usb ports, or an egpu than you just plug in the card you need and you're good to go. Express cards are smaller than Apple dongles so they're kinda better.

m4600 here, solid performance. Great screen. 1080p

Is carrying around a bunch of dongles for your shit laptop bloat as well?

having a connector other than USB-C is bloat

As long as you never leave your mom's basement then you're right. But for normal people that go outside and need to connect their laptops to other devices having ports isn't bloat.

jobs are bloat

Look at the size of the MOBO in the 12 inch macbook as an example. Fewer ports most definitely leads to a larger battery in most circumstances.

Uniformity is correct. The same way the regular USB A interface became ubiquitous. The market will not create uniformity without early adoption of new standards by market leaders like Apple.

nice
really nice

Friendly reminder that the headphone jack is the reason laptops are so thick.

Attached: 1515387663529.jpg (936x527, 32K)

>What if you have to connect to something at work/school/anywhere else
My work uses modern technology.

>then when you get home you need to connect those same 5 cables to the dongle
No. Those cables are already connected to the dongle. I only have to connect the dongle to my computer.

Is carrying around a charger for your shit laptop bloat as well?

I use an ethernet > usbc dongle for my inspiron 17
werks well

Thinner and lighter looks and sells better overall.
It lets them reduce costs and complexity, and sometimes, make a bit of extra cash on official adapters, dongles and cables and so on.

The problem is that USB-C is a mess.

Hell, one of the USB-C ports on the MBP is different from the rest, and works differently when plugged into a few very specific monitors. Just because.

I don't know about the 12" macbook but both the 2018 macbook pro's motherboards stretch halfway down the chassis, there's plenty of room for more ports.

Sure eventually the market will get there. But it's been 3 years and Apple is the only company to have done it. Every other company is moving over slowly, so that you have a usb c, but still have a lot of legacy ports. Apple users are the only ones that need dongles.

>My work uses modern technology
Most businesses and schools don't. Every other company has usb-c and legacy ports, only Apple makes you buy dongles.

>No. Those cables are already connected to the dongle. I only have to connect the dongle to my computer.
So you need one dongle for use at home and another dongle for travel. The future is now

to sell dongles

Why would I need to carry a charger. Almost all laptops have 10+ hour batteries.

Maybe you're just using in wrong, lol

Because macs are for retards who can't even comprehend the concept of file system. So much different ports scares dumb consumers. It looks difficult

Havin' a look at the side of my late 2008 Macbook Pro, which was expensive as hell at the time.
You've got charging port, ethernet port, firewire port, usb, usb, weird little mini displayport, mic port, headphone port, expresscard slot, little laser-cut battery indicator lights (actually pretty cool). And then on the other side DVD disc drive and IR receiver.
Honestly not as bad as I thought it would be. Would drop the firewire port and expresscard slots with the benefit of hindsight, but you have to keep in mind those were viable competing standards at the time. IR receiver's a little silly. Having a disc drive is still fully warranted though.

I would demand headphone jacks just for this alone, laptops are far too thin these days. anything that forces manufacturers to make them thicker is a good thing.

That is literally false. I can use TB3 or USB C from any port and charge with any of them. Diagnose your shit

Ports are a waste of space and most people rarely use the shit. The people who do use the shit, can easy get multiport adapters or docks which add far more I/O than you'd get with older laptops.

Ethernet jack needs downsizing. It's mostly just useless plastics, could be way smaller.

Because apple is able to lower the bar of acceptable features on a product to increase margins while touting it as innovation. PC laptop manufacturers just copies what works.

Attached: sx12.jpg (1100x420, 123K)

>has usb c
>still use proprietary charger
Disgusting.

normies dont use most of it, saves the money, makes the money

So?
Only Eloi need thin & light devices.

here's your ports bro

Attached: ports.png (960x541, 55K)

for one, good luck changing out all the cables in every data center, for two, having a baby-sized (and i assume from your view non-locking) connector that is critical to the functionality of most desktops and servers is a horrible idea.
as usual, Jow Forums is full of retards, more news at 11.

Because apple does a retarded thing, and then apple's cult of personality eats it up anyway because they're drones, and then other manufacturers start following suit and implementing all the same bullshit that apple started.

I've never understood the "muh thinness" meme for laptops.

It makes perfect sense for phones, because they go your pocket. But laptops? Of the three dimensions of a laptop, its thickness is the least important. A laptop being an inch thick vs half an inch thick doesn't change whether it's comfortable to carry or whether it can fix in your backpack or briefcase or whatever. I can understand shrinking laptops in terms of length and width, but thickness makes absolutely zero difference other than with marketing memes. Oh wow, I can put it in a manila envelope, who fucking cares?

normies who are the main demographic of these thin and light machines dont need io they probably do usb over wifi with some weird little cloud box

Attached: 68385870_p0.png (850x1200, 913K)

is that your pic? based af desu

Attached: 52351499_p9_master1200.jpg (600x800, 264K)

Said many times before, but it's Apple catalyzed normie appeal. It wouldn't have become this bad if the majority of sales comes from people who care about computers in and of themselves, either as enthusiasts or professionals, but alas.

Optimal ports. One USB 3.0 one USB C One Gigabit Ethernet One RCA 3.5. This covers pretty much everything.

VAIO doesn't have this problem.

Attached: VAIO sx12.jpg (1820x1213, 212K)

>laptop has wireless wifi
>phone has wireless wifi
why do you need to connect it with a wifi cable? dumb boomer

Based as fuck.

Obviously it makes a difference, the laptop isn't the only thing you carry in your backpack; something as thin as two cigarettes is far more comfortable to carry with other things than something the fatness of a cigarette pack.

Besides it's often related to weight indirectly. Making a laptop as thin as the oneport macbook, means you have only limited room for the battery which tends to add the most weight sans heat-pipes.

Plus it just looks better and plesant aesthetics help you to work by upping your mood.

because most people don't need more than 2 usb+audio ports

Attached: Huawei_MateBook_D_14_09_von_10.jpg (1920x205, 253K)

So you want this?

Attached: Jurk2xV.png (618x968, 530K)

No, he wants the bottom of the three stacked laptops. You fucking idiot you.

It was a valid marketing gimmick when laptops were more than 2 inches thick and 8 pounds. diminishing returns doesn't exist in the vocabulary of marketing.

Besides, consumer anything isn't something anyone really wants. anything meant for the consumer is all shit.

You realize that middle MacBook has more ports on the other side right?

that's correct: usb 3 type a, hdmi and an sd card slot.

>Obviously it makes a difference, the laptop isn't the only thing you carry in your backpack
Are you carrying 4 medical textbooks in your bag as well? Have some priorities

>Besides it's often related to weight indirectly.
dyel. I'll gladly take a marginally "heavier" laptop if it means having proper usability with things like a headphone jack and usb ports.

>Plus it just looks better and plesant aesthetics help you to work by upping your mood.
gay

yes, I literally do.

>Are you carrying 4 medical textbooks in your bag as well?
I tend to travel with it. Weird way to use a laptop, I know.

>I'll gladly take a marginally "heavier" laptop if it means having proper usability with things like a headphone jack and usb ports.
Then you're probably not the target market for premium ultrabooks. There are gaymer laptops and workstation replacements for your usage.

>gay
So you'd rather work inside a busy toilet on a cum encrusted plastic brick instead of an office you decorated on a aesthetically pleasant laptop? Props for being able to ignore your environment I guess.

>only 1 usb A port
How am I going to connect my onyhole and my external drive with hentai at the same time?!