So Jow Forums

What OS runs your computer and what you do to earn a living?

Attached: 1f40e569c52f73b049beadfc176464c67cdd7df71d064f29adf4375fbbfc889f.png (1804x495, 242K)

OS X
I suck cocks

Debian
I am farmer

fpbp

Win7, neet

Gentoo

I don't currently need to make a living because when my mom died her life insurance shelled out $200k no questions asked / no catch

I've never had a job at all, in fact, because I'm still in college. It's not that I couldn't find a job, I just never even looked. You see, ever since I've known what college was, my understanding was that going to college AND THEN getting a job, STRICTLY in that order, is simply what one does in life. I no longer think that, but by the time I knew better, I was already in my senior year of college. I also thought you could major in whatever you wanted and you'd be guaranteed a job just because you graduated college before looking for one, so I majored in computer game design. Sorely regretting it now, but I've come this far and have no choice but to finish what I've started. My true passion is with pure computer engineering, I've discovered, but I refuse to change my major this late in the game and spend an additional two to four years formally learning everything about computer engineering that they didn't teach me in the computer game design class. After all, if I were to do that, that would mean going without a job for another two to four years, which is completely unacceptable, as I'm already behind in life as-is.

linux
physician

whats a computer?

Ubuntu
I resuscitate junkies

Mozilla Firefox, I'm a helpdesk consultant in a large Bombay based company

windows
neet

At work Windows 7, and I program Java/PHP/Python depending on the project. I'm the last hold out in the office refusing to ”upgrade” to Windows 10.

At home, Raspbian on a Pi which is my only computer, which I use for amateur game dev.

>what OS do you use?
>mentions a component of an OS (kernel) used by hundreds of different OSes
nobody here is capable of reading minds.

Arch
Software developer

why do you use windows for brainlet shit like python

Debian
sysadmin

Because the corporate network is entirely Windows except for the servers, and there's no distinguishable difference in developer environment anyway.

This

Actually a kernel is an OS all by itself, anyone who says otherwise is a GNUmale memester. The ONLY thing Linux all by itself is missing as a fully functioning OS is a user interface, and it technically even has that (the kernel command line), except that the user input supplied must be an executable binary (init=).

Windows 7
I work in tech support in India

my custom gnu/linux-libre distribution. i'm 20 and a neet. never had a close friend or a significant other.

only thing that keeps me from the cookie-cutter stereotype is that i'm not overweight and i shower/shave constantly.

Debian, am a doorman at a reception.

It's not enough for a living so I still live with my parents. I have master's in computer science and write free SW at night shifts.

mac os
i dont work

Triple boot Win10, Win7 and OpenPEPE
Neet

>What OS runs your computer
Linux
>what you do to earn a living
Linux

Woah, Linus (TechTips) pays you to use Linux?

You xonsider your mother's death carefully a blessing?

desktop = windows 7
laptop = windows ltsc 1809
i work as a pharmacist :3 among other things

Attached: Untitled.png (575x521, 20K)

Slackware
PhD student. I also work for the health service part-time for extra monies.

>What OS runs your computer
Linux

>what you do to earn a living?
I computer

Debian.

I write backend on webapps.

Windows LTSC 2019 on both my desktop and laptop.
I build HPC systems and install software for companies.

I don't understand what you meant by "carefully," but no, absolutely not. I wasn't expecting it. No one was expecting it. I'm completely heartbroken and unable to function as a human being at this time, and I don't have much more to say about how upset I am about it because I'm still processing it. It's one of those things you do have to process, one of those things where you can't even fathom, can't even mentally grasp, the depth and intensity of your own negative emotion around it. I don't feel the full force of the heartbreak because I don't have enough on-board biological RAM to feel the full force of it; I'm just a monkey, and the sickness that was born inside me when I heard the bad news is the size of an elephant. Of course I can't be as sad as I really am all at once. I lack the mental capacity. Anyone would.

I do consider it a blessing that her life insurance paid enough that I don't have to work for the time being, because if I did have to work right now, I would wind up being homeless, because there is no way in hell I'd be able to get anything done in this mental state.

Yes.

Attached: dsd.jpg (227x344, 6K)

>A kernel is an OS because the only thing missing to make it a real OS is another huge piece of software, but that's just the user interface, it's not important and nobody uses that!
Do you even think before you post?

>another huge piece of software
It doesn't have to be huge at all.
>init=/usr/local/bin/myshittyverylowlevelUI

>behind in life
What a stupid concept. You're seriously going to give on your passion because you don't want to "waste" 2 more years. Hope this decision doesn't bite you in the butt later on

Yeah this OS that ships busybox and nothing else sure is useful for a great many tasks such as copying and deleting files locally. Is that what they meant by Linux the OS? It's a wonder more people don't use it.

Linux (elementary OS)
NEETbux for schizoaffective disorder

Family doctor runs Macs but complains about them when I'm there
Psychiatrist uses some shit-standard dell workstation with Windows 7 and googles things in Internet Explorer because he doesn't know better

Oh no, I'm not giving up, I'm just going to make sure to become a functioning adult first. If I still believe in college by the time I'm a worthwhile person who deserves to live, I'll go back and start from scratch while also continuing to work. If not, I'll continue learning about computer engineering on my own, as I've been doing. I'm not giving up, I just need to catch up first.

Good posts user. Sorry for your loss.

Debian

QA Engineer

You don't even need to compromise on any functionality, just write a shell that directly performs syscalls and you have an operating system that can do anything GNU+Linux can do. Any such task will take around 18 times the time and effort but still.

GNU GuixSD
NEET

osx

music composer and sound designer

Wait, that blowfish thing isn't a linux distro? Not even baiting

Is a BSD distro. Still a unix-like OS, but has nothing to do with Linux.