Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask. I asked /mu/ but I didn't really get many replies

Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask. I asked /mu/ but I didn't really get many replies.

My friend and I have been performing together since we were young, but we want to up our game and go into performing live as a business. He's primarily a guitarist and I sing (and I'm looking to get a synth and learn to use it) And we wanted to get a laptop for music production and audio processing so we could up our game. I'd like to use it for things outside of work, like reading, films and gaming (nothing super graphically taxing, just some bing bings) but those are afterthoughts.

Which one would you then recommend and why? Thank you

Attached: which one.png (2510x674, 464K)

Other urls found in this thread:

very.co.uk/hp-omen-15-dc0003nanbspintelnbspcorenbspi7nbspgeforce-gtx-1050-tinbsp8gbnbspramnbsp1tbnbsphdd-128gbnbspssd-156-inch-gaming-laptop/1600291365.prd
m.youtube.com/watch?v=B66VtJBN2N0
m.youtube.com/watch?v=qistxioVgMw
m.youtube.com/watch?v=xFIVZYevfGU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>1366x768
Just get a MacBook Air, bro

Read the fucking wiki.

there's nothing on the wiki in particular about laptops for music

>i7u
>geforece mx
>gaming
you need more shekels, boii, sorry

Get a Mac, Windows still doesn't have anything like CoreAudio, so you'd be forced to get a dedicated soundcard just to get low latency. And even then you don't get multi-client ASIO unless you spend $800 for an RME.

I'm sorry user but this isn't the right place to ask either. All responses you'll get will be to buy a thinkpad x24 and install gentoo

Attached: nongnu.jpg (690x460, 62K)

here is something decent
very.co.uk/hp-omen-15-dc0003nanbspintelnbspcorenbspi7nbspgeforce-gtx-1050-tinbsp8gbnbspramnbsp1tbnbsphdd-128gbnbspssd-156-inch-gaming-laptop/1600291365.prd

Attached: N3ARK_SQ1_0000000004_BLACK_SLc.jpg (550x733, 33K)

oh yeah, I'm getting a souncard anyways in addition.

I figured it was worth a shot. I did have a thinkpad actually, but I don't know what happened to it. Any idea of where I CAN go for a question like this?

>15"
>HDD in [current year]
>graphics card

What's the point of buying a laptop if it's this 3kg piece of shit with a battery life of 20 minutes?

Just get a desktop if you want to play games and get a proper laptop for portability.

It's full HD though.

what laptop would you recommend user?

Something smaller, lighter and without a dedicated graphics card, for starters.
A Macbook isn't a bad choice if your focus is mostly on making music. If you can tolerate Windows then get one of those Thinkpads or something, I don't know exactly what's hot these days.

so is the general consensus to just get a Macbook?

Yes, Id say Macs are really your best bet for music production and theyre p much the industry standard

>Macs are really your best bet for music production
lmao

I'd recommended the MacBook Pro, the _only_ choice for serious audio professionals

I don't know what to do I'm getting conflicting advice : (

1. Are you willing to carry a soundcard with you to get low latency audio?
2. Are you OK with only having low latency audio in one program at a time?

If the answer is yes to both, then get a Windows PC, it's significantly cheaper.
Otherwise, a Mac is a better choice, just because of the OS which is a bit more user friendly in terms of drivers. Software wise they're pretty much exactly the same. Also I don't think macOS is more stable than Windows these days (as long as you mind the updates).

The UX is better out of the box and with integrated audio. That's it. How much that matters is up to you.

>Software wise they're pretty much exactly the same.
Although to be honest, I'd give a slight edge to Windows in this regard. But since you're starting from scratch you probably won't miss the Windows-only software (which is usually also older and 32bit only). Or stuff like foobar2000, which doesn't have a Mac equivalent (yet). But this isn't a big deal, really.

I'll unironically recommend r/musicproduction

Jow Forums is pretty negative when it comes to Macs. I'm kinda surprised that you received some serious answers here. Mac is probably your best option.

I would not recommend using the same computer for recording/production and for playing live. For live you need just the bare minimum software installed. I unironically use a cheap thinkpad x230 with a behringer x18 for my bands in-ear monitoring, playing backing tracks, clicktrack, vocal and guitar fx live. Overall latency is less than 5ms so good enough.

Street shit harder iJeet. Nobody uses macshit. Even Pixar abandoned macshit.

Attached: 1561253939286.png (630x1300, 367K)

Apple hires pajeets to shill their exploding defective garbage here. They're literally paid to spam Jow Forums with Mac and iPhone shilling threads and give bullshit advice to push people to buy their trash.

This is established fact. They're always caught and banned eventually.

Attached: 1539691048335.png (1489x928, 1004K)

It's full of underage, typical for reddit though.
Music making forums are hit/miss, most musicians are tech illiterate and as gullible as audiophiles, unless they have an engineering degree.
Kvraudio and Gearslutz have some decent content, but you need to dig through some bullshit at times.

Does Pixar make music on laptops? Yeah, I didn't think so.
I'll recommend Windows for video editing or 3D all day. Hell, I'll even recommend Windows for music making if you're using a PC at your desk with a nice RME soundcard. But for maximum portability and best UX in a laptop? Mac takes it, IMO. And yeah, their prices are ridiculous, the SSDs they include, the storage upgrades... it's a joke. But it's the software that counts.
When Microshit decides to finally come up with native low latency drivers out of the box, I'll recommend Windows laptops for music too.

Back to your designated shitting street.

>best UX in a laptop
>macshit
bait
0/10

I was going to go off on the other retards but user just summed it up perfectly, as well as the coreaudio part of this post It sounds like you've been working primarily "out of the box" seeing as you don't have a dedicated soundcard. As a free (as in boipussy) option for NON LIVE SOUND, you can dual boot KX Studio and/or Ubuntu Studio and play around with the most advanced synth in the world, zynsubfx. Use Ardour as your DAW and interface w/ qjack. Watch my nigga Unfa hook you up m.youtube.com/watch?v=B66VtJBN2N0
free FX for guitar using guitarix and watch this vid for cool open source voice FX m.youtube.com/watch?v=qistxioVgMw

Also, be aware of macbooks fucking cancer keyboards as a non contained summerfaggot eloquently put it MacOS is sadly a better OS for production on a low budget (again, Linux isn't stable enough to confidently play live and windows requires ASIO autism), but if you get a macbook with a butterfly switch (starting 2016 I think), it'll fail rapidly in a dusty environment. I've never purchased a macbook (I used a Mac mini lol) but seeing that you're on a budget anyways, check out this Jew with yellow fevers opinion, I have faith in him m.youtube.com/watch?v=xFIVZYevfGU

If you hate macbook shilling purchase a T420/T430 on the low & CPU+RAM upgrade (easy) or something newer like a dell 7490 or T480/T480s on sale for quadcores (I got one for $400 on business liquidation). ASIO contains you into a DAW, but there are ways around most of it. Windows is also stable enough and low latency enough with proper drivers.

this is also a good idea, depending on your cash flow.

this user is also correct, although UX doesn't fucking matter since they're all usable and you can get away with something cheaper than an RME. Hell even Scarletts and behringers are OK for monitoring live.

good luck user, drop your bandcamp Jow Forumsentlemen, I like listening to new artists :)

WASAPI has been standard in Windows for almost a decade now Pajeet. Try again.

Attached: 1542878296394.png (641x641, 306K)