Threadripper

>yfw it hasn't even begun
The 3900x already beats most CPUs out there in multithreaded workloads and the 3950x is going to be the final nail on every part that aren't the AMD WX parts on specialized software. The fuck is going to happen when Threadripper launches with gargantuan cache, more specialized I/O die, and higher memory bandwidth?

Attached: amd_rome-678_678x452.png (678x541, 525K)

what are the chances there will be a 128 cores / 256 threads threadripper in 2022?

Attached: 5146B820-5254-4BD1-996E-126D75805EF8.jpg (645x644, 94K)

not really.

There'll be a 128-core/384-thread Threadripper at some point.

Since I can't afford it I'm pretty sure nothing will happen.

>Mfw waiting for the 3950x

Release it already you blueballing bastards.

Attached: b21.png (500x500, 168K)

Considering Zen has jumped nodes with every architecture I could say it's very likely. We still haven't seen vertical stacking, more threads per core, specialized chiplets, etc. By then we would be close to 3nm, right? They could probably squeeze in more chiplets with how small they would be.

>256mb l3 cache
Big cache

Attached: 1461541180473.jpg (194x170, 14K)

4CPU

I wish, but even then it'll be mega expensive

That would require them to be getting good enough yields on 16-core 32-thread chiplets, which is probably a long shot.
I could see them attempting 10-core or even 12-core chiplets though, making 8-core chiplets the entry level mainstream desktop chip, and 6-core APUs.

PC master race with 20c40t desktops in 2022, console peons still stuck at 8c16t.

what are you going to use it for user

I feel this so much. I want it. I WANT IT SO BADLY.
not that user, but my God, encoding will never be the same. Video rendering/4K RAW manipulation.
>Top tier top binned 2080Ti paired with a 16c32t R9-3950X
Gets me all tingly. I'll probably watch the 10 minute renders naked.

Attached: 1563145093641.jpg (700x734, 99K)

how do they going to brand this? 3990X?

based

>vram from 15 years ago is now cache

>Gets me all tingly. I'll probably watch the 10 minute renders naked.

Attached: 1563231240954.jpg (712x712, 137K)

Why not just wait for the 4xxx series?

Was crushing the server market part of your plan?

gonna buy some coconut oil just for the occasion. Might even spring for the organic stuff for the occasion. Real talk though, I sincerely wonder what the thermals will be like. 7nm transistors are so close to one another that heat really does become an issue.

>Tfw my 1950 awaits it's replacement so that it can be retired to the pain of running a gigabit network's worth of firewalling and real time file scanning.

They will probably copy intel again and have some of the numbers overlap like the 9900x and 9900k. They can still differentiate with the WX suffix as well.

After posting this, it occurs to me that if their yields get a bit better or they go to 10-core chiplets, the entire rest of the product line will shift up by 2 cores

>I'm still on a 4c4t haswell i5
>$50 Athlon 500GE will be clearly better
I wasn't expecting my current hardware to fall to potato tier so soon.

>kids and amd/intel viral marketers still making these fucking threads when CPU speeds/efficiency hasn't increased that fucking much in OVER FUCKING TEN YEARS.
>BUT MAH BENCHMARK
AHAHAHAHA
>BUT MAH SKEWED GRAPHS
HHAHAHAHAHAH
>BUT BUT BUT
Go home.

So the Intel shill defence force is as pathetic as their research division. Or their CEO. Or their management. Or their security department.

I support Intel out of principle. They are one of Israel's biggest tech companies and Israel is our greatest ally in the war on terror.

Come on at least try with the bait. That's not even pathetic anymore that's just sad.

I see I am not the only one. I actually have two 1950X Thread Rippers I am planning on upgrading. I'm thinking of using one for a file server. I'm not sure what I should use the other one for. I'm also going to see if I can run them with ECC memory.

Attached: 1543961608414.gif (320x240, 2.46M)

so, you have two threadrippers and no use for them?

I am currently using them at the moment for desktops. I just need to decide on what to do with them when I upgrade to the third gen Thread Rippers.

waiting is the biggest meme in tech, if you want, you can just wait forever and have the best specs ever, but at some point you have to realize that waiting is stupid and unless there is a new generation releasing in the next month or two, you should just cut the shit and buy the best hardware you can afford at that specific time frame.

they're gonna bin them high as shit too

Not him but I've been saying this for years now, about both amd and intel.
There is still performance increases but they're very small and not keeping up with the rate that new software has become slower.
Eventually devs won't be able to rely on hardware improvements to hide their shit programming practice.
The future is in risc like optimizations, pipe lining, simd, lower latency higher speed busses.
Shit like that, more die shrinkage more cores and more hertz isn't going to cut it.
Granted I'm still waiting for the new epyc processors to come out. It'll likely be the last x86 based cpu I buy.

I'd still settle for a 16 core Zen 2 TR, I need that PCIE bandwidth

Threadripper was always a niche product, and Zen 2 is basically going to seal its doom. At a certain point the AM4 platform will offer the cores and Epyc will offer everything else. Threadripper will lose its purpose.

You're right. It's going to go like this.
>EPYC Rome will come out will 64C/128T server processors
>Within 6 months, Threadripper will get a consumer version of the EPYC part, 64C/128T
>TDP will be less than 300W on both
>Threadripper part will be compatible with with X399, but some advanced features disabled.
It costs AMD little to cash in on this niche market since the sockets are the same as EPYC. New machinery doesn't have to be contracted after making EPYC processors. TR line will dominate HPC market. Screen cap this post.

>2022
Hard to say so far in the future, but I'd say it's possible.

Very likely. 64-128 is already making rounds. 128-256 is probably the next step but don't expect high clocks.

3970X = 32c64t
3990X = 64c128t

Serious question, do you work in tech? Not intending to be mean/rude, but it sounds like you're saying something like
>I can't think of a use for this
>Therefore, no one else can think of a use for this
>Product must be bad
There is a market for high end workstations. Developers, researchers, and artists all buy high end computing items. I work in a scientific research group. Processors like Threadripper line have been very appealing for the purposes of building low cost scientific research compute systems.

It’s going to be a stuttery, laggy mess above 4 chiplets. Enjoy that 1.5ghz base clock.

Screenshot this post, threadripper 2 is going to be like that weird Xeon phi(?) product line that intel cancelled.

AM4 doesn't have enough memory channels

Not clear but a 64c/256t Zen 3 threadripper could potentially come as soon as next year but that's only a rumor at this point.

why the fuck is the mobile shit so delayed?

>64c128t
never happening
24/32c max

If you aren't excited about 64/128 core CPUs, you're a drooling retard that only cares about MUH GAYMES and other normie shit.
Hope you're ready to get BTFO.

Attached: [HorribleSubs] Slow Start - 01 [720p].mkv_snapshot_09.06_[2018.01.06_19.24.28].png (1280x720, 460K)

Will happen 100%.
They will just put 4 full zen3 chiplets on the epyc pcb.

they are going to use 4x8c chiplets and 4x6c chiplets

We already know the Epyc package (not to be confused with what's in my pants) can contain 8 Zen2 chiplets, so that's 48 cores with 6c defect chips or 64 cores with 8c chips. They could probably even cram 12 chiplets in there for 96 cores if splitting up the monolithic IO die into three parts is doable.

Attached: epyc epycness.jpg (4608x3456, 1.25M)

why would they release a threadripper part that would directly compete against their top product?
we are going to see pic related for TR3

Attached: ripper3.jpg (411x342, 13K)

If Intel keeps getting BTFO in the HEDT and server markets is it possible that Apple might switch to AMD?

Attached: 0df7907cb74508f175adac1299a5f887717ca6e963ba2647ba8640984641f253.jpg (640x775, 106K)

yes, specially since they can milk more money with amd chips

Why would apple go with a budget product like AMD? Their users demand better.

Apple is already using AMD products you idiot.

Attached: mac-pro-apple-2019-06-03-23-59-37.jpg (993x571, 93K)

SOPA

>users demand better
>give users 9900K with shit cooling

I can't wait to install Linux to my CPU

Yes, it's a niche product, but it is very popular in it's niche. Professional graphics workstations have been using Xeon's since the demise of Silicon Graphics. Threadripper changed that. Getting a higher clocked server chip is absolutely awesome for a graphics workstation.

Less memory channels, therefore less memory latency like the 29990WX

>64c/256t

Nah. x86 design favors one mighty chad thread consuming as much core resources as it can, with one scrawny beta thread running at 40% on the leftovers. The workload is too diverse to schedule more efficiently anyway; boring integer counter here, colossal SIMD master race over there, motherfucking entire app in javascript doing the secret mime handsign to coerce this float into an int, but sometimes also that one jerk zoomer thread that wants its x87 extended 80 bit floating point intermediates because 1985 code is best code.

SMT4 cores allocate fairly to all threads, for consistent performance instead of burst performance. Good for web/database servers, where you need it to be consistent because probably every thread is a different human bean's request. The workload of those tasks is fairly consistent as well, so you can build the expected ratio of ALUs/FPUs/whatever to get the planned level of performance. POWER9, or that one last Sparc server that refuses to die.

the socket will be half the size of the motherboard

ECC works fine on my 2950X, so it's doable.

user, a flimsy I/O die with two chiplets in the 3900x performs better than the single chiplet parts.

They might do it for shits & giggles but the real fun is going to be 16-32 core parts with all that extra TDP headroom, power delivery and cooling to play with compared to AM4 stuff

>mainstream market
>top tier binned anything
don't hold your breath

the pcb looks very nice, too bad its a fruit toddlers product

>It’s going to be a stuttery, laggy mess above 4 chiplets. Enjoy that 1.5ghz base clock.
pfff hahahahahahahah

Attached: 1547697586525.jpg (218x250, 7K)

>mfw 3900x sold out in all of yurope
please tell it's not going to be the same with the 3950x.

Attached: 1559130870562.gif (384x408, 94K)

>tfw ordered a 3900x on the 8th of july
>tfw still out of stock

Attached: 1550911259121.gif (245x246, 1.93M)

based "i5 2500k is still good" retard

Not everything is "bait" user, jokes exist.