Okay FreeBSD desktop users, red pill me on your experiences...

Okay FreeBSD desktop users, red pill me on your experiences. I’m an Arch user who’s considering making the switch mostly because of zfs.
How long does it take to get a usable desktop up-and-running? I have a compatible laptop so I’m not too worried about hardware support.
How is printer support?
How is performance?

Attached: 075EF0A4-197C-4C81-B99C-87D602E59010.png (578x295, 46K)

Other urls found in this thread:

defectivebydesign.org/guide/worst-offenders
twitter.com/AnonBabble

What's your lappy?

Thinkpad x200 tablet

FreeBSD for Desktop is abetter experience overall than any Linux distro, mostly because of default low latency model. If only FreeBSD had better hardware support I would switch from Debian long time ago. No matter what Linux distro I try, even with low latency kernel patch, no matter how good your hardware is, Desktop GUI starts lag after few days of heavy usage on Linux distros.

>How long does it take to get a usable desktop up-and-running?
Less time than it takes to get Arch set up.
>How is printer support?
It's CUPS, so probably fine.
>How is performance?
Might be slightly worse, but not noticeable.

The biggest downside is no web DRM, so no Netflix.

*hugs*

Attached: hugs.gif (480x270, 417K)

>No Netflix
I don’t use Netflix but i’ve seen this response in similar threads. How does this work exactly? Can you explain it in more detail?
Does that mean gnome will lag less? Cuz I quite like gnome

How would battery life be on an old thinkpad with FreeBSD? Similar to linux? I can get around 6 hours with arch but I have tlp installed.

What's interesting gnome on FreeBSD is the best experience you can get out for GNOME.

>How does this work exactly? Can you explain it in more detail?
I don't know how it works, but it's basically proprietary code that's only written for browsers running Windows, macOS, and Linux. All you need to know is that it won't work on FreeBSD.

If you follow guides for enabling powerd, it should be similar, maybe a little less because of the ticked kernel.

Are there any other notable websites that won’t work on FreeBSD? Thanks for telling me about powerd too.
Wow that’s neat. I’ll definitely install it if I decide to switch to FreeBSD.

Nope, literally everything else will work, it's just Netflix, Spotify, Hulu, and maybe a few other paid streaming services.

Oh okay. Nothing I use then. Not a big deal to me.

Actually, Hulu may work, the EFF only lists Netflix and Spotify: defectivebydesign.org/guide/worst-offenders

>mostly because of ZFS
ZFS is better under arch at the moment bro. Just use the arch-zfs repo and the dkms packages. 0.8 even has encryption. If you wanted any of the other benefits FreeBSD is a "easier" operating system with some benefits like devs who actually run their maintained software in production and therefore know whats wrong but a part from that install the archzfs repo.

Does soulseek work on freebsd

Why wouldn't it?

Like, is there a working client is what i’m asking

>installer is pretty nice, although barebones, reminds me of debian text based install
>zfs is neat, really liked that
>pain in the ass to install and run nvidia driver (had a 750 Ti at the time), until i found some obscure snippet to put in /boot/loader.conf that was different from in the handbook
>started to install my programs I use
>some not available as packages, have to use ports
>some ports simply fail to compile, either due to linuxisms or just shitty maintainers of the freebsd port
>suffer using alternatives for a week or so
>give up and install literally any Linux distribution

It's also worth mentioning that they have a shitty code of conduct associated with the FreeBSD project, but that's more Jow Forums than Jow Forums.

The irony is Netflix uses FreeBSD on their servers, but you can't watch it on FreeBSD desktops.

freebsd is going to move to zfsonlinux

I run both FreeBSD and Arch (but mainly boot into FreeBSD these days).

>How long does it take to get a usable desktop up-and-running?
It's easier than Arch.

>How is printer support?
With Gnome installed all my printers worked as expected.

>How is performance?
ZFS has some overhead, but wouldn't say perf is bad.

Neat thing is that besides gnome3 metapackage, there's gnome3-lite for the bare shell. On linuxes usually uninstalling one gnome package that you don't want uninstalls the whole desktop that's tied tight with dependencies.
It has no soulseek client in ports, I don't know why. Back when I used it, I used official client through wine.