Raspberry Pi thread. Do you own one yet?

Raspberry Pi thread. Do you own one yet?

Attached: 1_iSXndFMdvSNLFftiNwK9Lw.jpg (1400x933, 238K)

Other urls found in this thread:

servermania.com/kb/articles/what-are-the-hardware-requirements-for-running-a-plex-media-server-with-transcoding
aliexpress.com/item/32952644654.html
youtu.be/vYreeoCoQPI
aliexpress.com/item/32910063756.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

yea i own one im about to install kali on it later tonight

can't find it in stock.
but did order that fan just today, and do have the same cutting board you have under that pi.

I moved it to a fan case once the core temp was consistently reading 60C at idle.
Now its 43C

Attached: Rpiincase.jpg (1210x1613, 734K)

is the fan necessary? do Pi's tend to run hot? I feel like if anything bad happens ill just get another one lol

With the fan it seems any throttling never comes into play, at least from what I saw in the benchmarks. Do have an older pi with a heatsink, but decided to go with a fan this revision.

There's going to be more rasp pis than people if we keep going like this. But yes I have one and I still haven't found a use for it after I replaced the pihole with a pfsense router.

Long into the future you won't be able to find any original or early Pi's.
If you pick up one in-box and never use it, 20 years later it will be worth some money I bet.

I doubt it. Too many of them already and there really is nothing that special or novel about them.

Have a few, lower powered services that live on VMs can be migrated to these for just a few watts vs having them on high watt systems to lower power consumption for the house.

I have a model A rPi2 and Model b+ rPi3. They're both dust collectors and I doubt the increased specs on the 4 will make me actually use it for anything special or useful. I have the money to buy proper versions of everything the pi can do. Shame, it's cool.

>he fell for the "thermal adhesive" heatsink which is just normal 3d double sided tape..

I booted my pi4 4gb up today but i'm not sure if i'll use it for emulation my mac mini does better

Pi 4 with a fan overclocks to 2ghz now. That's pretty neat though I suspect the A72s spec up to that in other devices anyway.

I don't remember anything on the packaging claiming it was thermal adhesive.
Why would you even need something more than regular sticky tape for a pi

Hell yeah, got one a couple days ago. It's fun, I put Ubuntu server on it.
I'm using it as a proxy for my torrents so they can go out over VPN. I made my drives on my media server Samba shares and installed Deluge on the Pi and mapped the shares to the Pi. It works well, but there's a little issue where the torrents will error after a bit. Probably the some bullshit with Samba and systemd mounting. I'm not sure yet, I'll figure it out tomorrow.

I'll probably see if I can make my Pi into a SSH jump box too. I'm not certain how that'd work but it could be a fun project to try.

Attached: 1547258890000.gif (87x100, 29K)

>Raspberry Pi thread. Do you own one yet?
Yea a pi2 but I never use it
Give me some good use ideas fa/g/s

What is the point of these things. I bought like 4 off brand Pi zeros and haven't come up with a single use. A media server sounds nice but I cant find software that works with 16-bit interfaces, is it worth it to buy a real pi or are these things just for serious hobbyists?

Unfortunately not yet. As of now I still don't quite think I'm tech literate enough to own one. In time, hopefully I will be. At that point yes! I would love to own one. Or I could just buy one now and tinker with it until I truly learn and understand it. There are two main things I would like to do with one. The first would be vpn server. Seems like a nice little platform for that. And the second would be a tiny pocket laptop. Seems like a lot of fun.

I got a raspberry pi 3B, 3A, two ZeroWs, and I’m probably going to get a 7” touchscreen and a 4B. I’ve already got Rasbian and Kali distros with their own Sd cards but I’m trying to figure out how to install Arch on one

Setting up a VPN is not rocket science. Literally just one command in terminal.

Attached: Screenshot_2019-07-16-04-46-02-113_com.brave.browser.jpg (1200x419, 80K)

Imma gonna buy two, one 4GB for emulation and the other 2GB for NAS. Gonna leave my current 3B+ for Octoprint

Is the media server linux? if so just use sshfs, pi2 got over any issues with the overhead and you don't need to fuck with shares/locking, it's accessed as if you're using the sshd as the smb service with the general unix flexibility found therein. If you're in a mixed environment I would then use MODERN cifs with encryption.

What is 4gb on an arm gonna be used by in emulation? Genuinely curious.

>shitty copper heatsinks
>machining looks like it was done in an african prison
>rog sticker
>shitty red case
user you should be ashamed of yourself.

>Or I could just buy one now and tinker with it until I truly learn and understand it.
Bingo. That's the best way to learn anything: hands on.

Vidya emulation probably.

That's the official case you nigger

They are good travel computers, just plug em into hotel tv. Also good for snes/sega emulation.

Oh my bad senpai, being official makes it a not shitty case. OH WAIT

I love it. Using mine as a nas with redundant storage drive, usenet downloader, and browsing pc for my bedroom tv.

ARM is the future.

Attached: rpi4b2.jpg (3024x3227, 2.46M)

You crushing on my setup?
Thanks user, rabu too

its true the official case is not well suited for the pi4. You are better to get one of these for $10 on Amazon.

The official case is pretty shit, tho. Really ugly, too.

I want a raspi with PCIe dammit. There are lots of SoCs with PCIe 4x but they're all chinky shit with questionable quality. The RockPro64 has a PCIe 4x slot but apparently you can't use anything with it because the drivers are all fucked. Just stick it on the raspi already so some autist can get it all nice and worked out for me so I can finally start migrating away from this x86 hellscape.

Attached: 1562297042911.jpg (1920x1080, 239K)

If Raspberry Pi came with a thunderbolt connection, you could hook up an EGPU
if only

Take your iToddler interface and shove it up your ass.

I love it

Attached: 1560481845355.png (956x535, 508K)

it's an intel interface and soon it's usb4

I've been wanting to make a small little cluster for small scientific computations to run in parallel. Can I hook up a bunch of these things and expect decent results?

yes

okay i would buy one if i knew what the fuck to do with it, can i do something that has to do with networking? that's what im learning

You might as well be a cheap asshole like myself and reuse the box it came in.

Install Pi Hole on it, set it as DHCP primary DNS and you have network wide adblock.

Attached: rpi.jpg (4656x2620, 2.49M)

That's all I use mine for. It's pretty convenient.

that sounds interesting user thanks

> .t stockpiling unopened raspberry pi's for future profit.

Has been done before.

Attached: QRN89i.webm (400x224, 899K)

Odroid is still better, remember raspi is for kids or third-world computing standards...

Somebody with an RPi4 tell me how many DOSBOX cycles it can do

you can't even power them thrugh the usb-c port

epic fail product

>ARM is the future.
ARM is backwards, it's literally weaker in every benchmark compared to x86, mind as well buy a cheap pentium NUC.

The pi4 uses usb-c power

Bought a 3 model b like 2 days before the 4 was announced. It came with a 64gb sd card and a crappy case. I bought a fan case for it and it's now mainly an IRC machine. I'm going to use it to play with OpenGL by trying to get RuneLite's GPU renderer ported to OpenGL ES 2 to get playable frame rates in OSRS.

I also tried to do some PlayStation emulation on it but the audio gets garbled in Retropie (in all emulators, tried GBC too), even though audio is fine in other programs. Any ideas?

i'm using it with usb-c power right now. it works as long as you don't use an electronically marked cable

Look, another niche, underpowered device for linux fanbois to overspend on just like the gdp win

Attached: GPD_Win-Face_View-Open_and_Running_Windows_10.jpg (300x369, 24K)

except raspberry pi is like $30

still shit and reinventing the wheel...

look nigger many people who are into technology and are browsing this forum right now are into hobbyist/diy/break it kind of projects. now fuck off

I got one and threw Retropie onto it so my boomer dad can play Galaga on the living room TV. Maybe one day I'll actually use it for something.

i use it to host a small web server that redirects to a google survey I use to acquire data at work

kek

i report tripfags

heh, breaking the rules is risky business.
>>>/global/rules/7

No, but I own eight Orange Pis.

Im thinking on getting pi4 but i dont have a single idea for what i want to do with it... maybe a vpn? any awesome options?

Awesome for learning embedded C and C++ with Arduino.

Nigga just get these aluminium heat sinks.
Mine is wel under 32 degrees.

Actually they are sil pads and perform much better than nothing but are easily removable at any time.

Surveillance, IRC bouncer, retro gaming

small fan bad. raspberry bad! x570 bad!

put a 140mm fan on it. big fan good.

I have a 1b, which does nothing now but was once used for stuff, because I have a 3b (two actually, because of a shipping error). it runs as a nas server, syncthing, radarr, sonarr, openvpn server, pihole + dnscrypt-proxy, and nginx for testing local sites. it's pretty versatile, and gets great use. unsure what i should do with the other two now, was thinking about clustering the two 3bs and using the 1b as the instruction machine to send orders but unsure. regardless, the 3b in use gets good use, i would like a 4b though for the ethernet and usb being separate finally.

Why cant i find cheap small socs
And small 120vac to 5vdc flyback transformers

Ideally no connectors sodered on, i can desoder but im looking to embed these boards places

i want to get one, dont know anything about coding or soldering so should be fun, want to use 1 for a dns server/vpn and another as a handheld emulator, maybe an odroid for the emulator
what are some peoples experiences of using them for such?
most people in thread say either "dust collectors" or "they're great (but no reason)"

What's the best full aluminum case for a fanless build in a Rpbi 3b+?
The Flirc case looks decent but many people complains that the screw doesn't even fit properly.

Attached: 514B76sMz2L._SL1500_.jpg (1500x533, 32K)

If you are looking for performance, you will have better results by just buying a high core count desktop processor like AMD's server processors.

Building a raspberry pi cluster will teach you a lot about how networking works though.

raspbump

I'll look into sshfs. I still need to fuck around with my setup and see what works best

I want a little computer like this with Plex to stream 4k movies from my tv but everyone tells me the pi4 is too shit. What little box will be good enough for streaming/decoding 4k shit?

I want to get one but I have no idea what I'd use it for. But if I could get it to play HEVC, maybe I'd hook it up to my TV as a little media player or something.

>HDMI
WTF what type of HDMI is that
It's literally Jow Forums penis' size

Micro HDMI. It's mostly used on cameras and other small devices.

Are you brain dead?
ARM is better.
Of course it's slower but less power = less heat production.
x86 will only be used on Desktops.

>Building a raspberry pi cluster will teach you a lot about how networking works though.
Not really.

Pi4 will be fine for direct playback say with Kodi. For streaming over a network to a Smart TV or a device than you need a lowish spec server.

I go by this guide for requirements but this also allows for transcoding content remotely outside your local network or whatever.

servermania.com/kb/articles/what-are-the-hardware-requirements-for-running-a-plex-media-server-with-transcoding

>Of course it's slower but less power = less heat production.
So I guess the 7W x86 CPUs are better than ARM.

Any standard home server uses so Plex Server, Ubooquity will probably run on it for serving books, a music server, NAS, security/networking applications like Pi-Hole, pfSense or any monitoring tools, print server probably, torrent/usenet/download server, home automation server with Home Assistant.

That's all I got for home server uses a pi cluster could be used for aside from the other than typical pi robotics, retro gaming electronics tinkering projects.

Take a look at Jow Forumsbudgethomelabs It's leddit but those dudes are using multiple pis in interesting set-ups/clusters.

Attached: 1-s2.0-S0045790615000257-fx1.jpg (500x194, 31K)

how can I get the best video out of an rpi? the existing cameras record grainy shit. Is there anything out there that will allow me to record video at something better than 1080p 25fps?

iPhone

I like the extended ribbon cable for creeping purposes. could I do that with a phone somehow

2 x RaspberryPi 3B
2 x Raspberry Pi Zero W
3 x Orange Pi Zero+
3 x Orange Pi Zero
1 x Orange Pi Win
1 x Orange Pi PC
1 x Orange Pi R1
1 x Orange Pi 1
2 x Nano Pi Neo
1 x Nano Pi Fire
1 x Nano Pi M4
1 x Banana Pi W2
1 x Banana Pi R2

I prefer the Nano and Orange range to Raspberry in every way except that there is more software support for the Raspberry Pi though Armbian Bionic is excellent.

For me from now on, every board i buy with be:
eMMC, SD cards are the worst.
PoE I hate assing about with adapters
PCI-E for SDD on any applicaiton needing storage.

I bought one of these to use as a web based irrigation controller:
aliexpress.com/item/32952644654.html

I really like Node-Red and I think it should get more love, my irigation controller has a web front-end and can access the meterology website and extract the temperature and forecast.
Just for giggles I am connecting a water meter and tying it into influxDB and Grafana for water use.... Because I am an old as hell boomer

youtu.be/vYreeoCoQPI

I have also built several machine dashboards and data loggers utilising a pi and this platform.
I also think for a lot of tasks, the Pi is a waste when you can buy one of these and run full x86 applications:
aliexpress.com/item/32910063756.html

It's hard to go past at even three times the cost.

It depends.
7W are still too much compare to ARM, they use in average 5W that's +~30% more performance.
Some Intel CPU (not desktop) struggle to play 4k videos and on the other side ARM based Soc´s handle it fine because they work differently.
Furhermore ARM Soc´s are cheap as fuck and that's a huge factor.

Maybe one day when the support exists for Arm.
Now it is too fragmented, H2, h5, H6 A64,,, a mess

>throttling
Wouldn't an alright sized heatsink sort that out?
Maybe even just one of those small mosfet sinks.

Attached: Heatsink-Ext-Aluminum-TO-220-Assembly.jpg (800x600, 208K)

I've modded the RPi0W to have a full HDMI, you can power it through the micro-USB port using one og the TV USB ports.
I'm using Lakka, It can run most old systems well, PSP and SNES drops some frames depending on the game though.
You can use any BT wireless joystick.
>Things to do
1. Add Composite 3.5mm jack for audio and video to support CRT
2. Add USB-A socket to connect wired joystick or flash storage
3. Design a better case, Keychain perhaps?
4. Test OC the CPU, possible heat sink?
5. External batter/ charge controller/ Portable PSU solution

Attached: 1562925916514.jpg (1280x720, 73K)

What're you gonna use for the NAS? According to FreeNAS you need 8GB to run it. OpenMediaVault?

>curl/whet into bash
Do.not.do.that. EVER.

>Trusting some third party script to setup vpn
Do not do that either

As someone who set up vpn on pimultiple times I can say it is difficult. Esp since there are no working tutorials. I always end up with same issue - either I can reach local resources and no internet or internet but no local resources. It gets fixed after couple of ours of cursing.

Would it be secure if I just do this? I'm planning on setting one up so I can ssh from anywhere

I guess not

Can it even run Fortnite at over 60fps?