Reminder

If you have PCI-E slots available and have purchased a SATA SSD in the recent sales you made a mistake and are doing it wrong.

Attached: IMG_20190712_161033.jpg (2268x3180, 1.57M)

Other urls found in this thread:

crystalmark.info/
tomshardware.com/news/amd-x570-x470-chipset-pcie-4.0,39651.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>add more shit, and have it fight for bandwidth with your GPUs
Fuck off retard.

>hurrr my GPU needs more than 8x PCI-E 2.0 and I've never noticed that the GPU consumes at max 10% of the bandwidth of 16x 3.0

Cuck

I just bought a m.2 sata

Why though

Why not nvme unless you have a laptop that won't do it? Why be limited to ~560mb/s instead of ~3000mb/s?

have sex

?
The lanes are independent on any decent boards. Only poorfag chipsets have bifurcation leading to a drop to x8 of the second slot is occupied

>hurr let's starve my system of our lanes
user Jow Forums is filled with legit playboys that smash grade a cunnys, so go be a faggot somewhere else, kid.

A bold attack with flawless logic: How will user ever recover?

>wasting a slot on storage when mobos have pcie m.2 built in
Stop being a bottom bitch Jow Forums isn't about that.

>I need 24 lanes just for my GPU

>Have 40 lanes
>GPU consumes 16 but only really needs 4
>Add m.2 drive
>Still have 20 3.0 lanes left
Oh no

Some fag in this thread bought a SATA SSD and he's mad. He probably runs a ryzen 1000 system with 2133mhz ddr4 too.

>have 40 lanes
>only 1 GPU
Faggot, and mentally ill gay stuff for sex confirmed.

fuck m.2

>intel

SATA m.2 drives are the best. Stick a 2TB stick in there and fuhgedaboudit

nVME is a meme for 99% of usecases
2.5" is old and busted
HDDs are still the kings if you need lots of storage and don't want a NAS

I've never had a ssd, is not just using sata really that much of a difference? I mean I'd be impressed with the speed either way probably once I get a new computer. Prob easier to swap out too ?

Why exactly do you think SATA m.2 has any reason to exist at all? The nvme drives are not any more expensive. You are choosing the slower bus for no reason.

It's easier to "swap out" the m.2 drive. You simply pull the card and it comes out, there is no slot key to flip, cables to unplug, trays for the drive to sit in etc. The drive in the OP is like installing ram but there is less resistance and no tabs.

If there is zero (0) price difference then sure

But generally you pay a small premium for the difference

1TB TLC NVME drives are $100 right now. QLC ones $80. The 2TB SATA drives are like $10 cheaper at best than the nvme comparables.

Here's a benchmark of the drive in the OP in my 2012 PC. It's XPG SX8200 1TB (TLC) I bought for $119 USD. Adapter $3 USD. It's the only drive in my system, I removed all SATA power and data cables from my build.

Attached: ssd.png (401x365, 37K)

>1TB TLC NVME
The only 1TB NME drives that are $100 are shitty QA rejected flash memory based ones

So Crucial P1, Intel 660P, Silicon Power P34A80, ADATA XPG/Gammix, and many many more models that are around $100 or less for 1TB are all rejects? Almost all of them use the same controller. Almost all of them are using the same flash from 2 major companies.

The MAJORITY of SSD on the market are "rejects"? What kind of fucking stupid remark is this?

>M.2 adapter

Pcie lanes come off the chipset too retard

>nvme a meme

Attached: 1549306336330.jpg (1000x581, 286K)

My PC is too old to boot from that.

What is it? My Z77 chipset boots off it.

Chipsets only have switches.

X38 chipset with old BIOS

That's fucking nice.
Any downsides? How can I know if my mobo can boot from that?

Too bad I guess. If the board was UEFI you can inject the driver to add nvme support. You can still benefit from nvme as secondary storage though.

It's possible for you to boot off it with the help of a USB drive or SD card. Look up clover-EFI.

Adata, the literal nigger of the ssd world, 500Gb ssd's crapping out after 65Tb of writes

>mfw X570 platform, so PCIe 4.0
>Mfw 2080Ti at full tilt can barely saturate x8 Lanes of PCIe 3.0
>Mfw even if I had 2x 2080Ti's in 8x8 mode, I'd still be able to run 4x m.2 NVME drives

I'm tempted to pick up that Asus PCIe to 4x m.2 converter card. Add nvme storage as it gets cheaper.

Attached: 1558472467691.png (668x483, 371K)

dialate

If you have haswell or higher Intel chipset you can boot off it. If you have UEFI of an older chipset you need to apply the nvme driver to the bios and flash it, for the bios to recognize it as a bootable drive. You don't need to do anything if you want to use it as a secondary drive, just plug in and use.

Not really any downsides besides the setup getting it booting by itself on older hardware. I'm personally never buying or using SATA ever again. Just m.2 SSD in everything.

Reminder: An RTX 2080ti barely loses any performance when comparing PCI-E 3.0 X16 to X8.
That means an RTX 2080ti could run with virtually full performance on PCI-E 4.0 X4.
A high end NVME SSD should be able to achieve 4000mb/s reads on a PCI-E 4.0 X2 slot.

Attached: relative-performance_3840-2160.png (500x410, 27K)

>ADATA
enjoy your hardware failure and data loss

So it can't boot with the old BIOS (pre-UEFI)?

Wrong mostly.

I had a Gigabyte Z97 G1 Gaming (their flag ship board for that generation) and can confirm that expansion card did not slow down the graphics card due to my board lacking an M.2 slot.

I was surprised at how quickly my board automatically detected the SSD without needing to manually adjust any setting in the BIOS (found all was adjusted appropriately when I checked) and did ensure the BIOS was up-to-date before hand.

Long story short these boards are more of a greater benefit for systems that lacked M.2 slots entirely and was lucky with the particular board and Devil's Canyon CPU (i7 4790K) that I had at the time.

Using it on anything else newer would be experimenting (disabling the internal M.2 slot if possible to reduce PCI-E draw, assuming that actual works) and any performance benefit would not be guaranteed (but it is possible in my opinion).

>this drive with a silicon motion 2262 controller and Toshiba nand is far less reliable than this other silicon motion 2262 controller and Toshiba nand drive because it has adata printed on it
>especially because I had a failure with a dramless QLC drive with a different controller and nand from this same brand!

Why are you saying I'm mostly wrong when your post is agreeing with me? There's no "experimenting" when you have these cards plugged into a newer system, the system just sees a drive connected to the pci-e bus just like an m.2 on the board. Why the fuck would you if you had m.2 slots to begin with? You don't need to buy an adapter for the sake of having an adapter.

Also, the performance gain IS guaranteed because even plugged into a PCI-E 2.0 slot at 4x it reads and writes at 1600mb/s, and generally runs 4-5x faster than a SATA drive. I know this because I plugged it into a pci-e 2.0 slot to begin with and benchmarked it, and noticed I needed the other slot.

my internet bottlenecks me anyways

Shit I read it wrong (= fucked up). M.2 NVMe SSDs are better in terms of performance than SATA SSDs.

Under the impression (my mistake) it was PCI-E slot vs PCI-E card (slot from expansion card can be better than slot from motherboard, did enough such checks to find that out myself due to having access to a few different PC builds, etc).

Normal SATA SSDs are only good as storage for older games (without draining PCI-E) assuming the SSD is of a large capacity (ideally 1TB or more if price is right) or use a few different drives, etc.

My current HP Slimline (Coffee Lake) has a M.2 slot. I am using a PCIe SSD there.

I don't know if the UEFI in my old homebuilt PC (Haswell) supports PCIe SSDs. Maybe too old?

If it doesn't (latest should), you simply download your bios, open it up with a tool, add the nvme driver, save the bios and flash it. With this you can add nvme booting support to even old P35 Sandybridge boards. The driver is generic and just has to be loaded by the uefi.

Nope. You would need to boot to another drive first. Clover-EFI is a bootloader you would install on another drive (ie: USB drive or SD card or whatever), which would load NVME support and then let you boot Windows off the PCI-E NVME drive. You would still be able to have the nvme drive as your C: in Windows and no other drives visible, but you would need to keep the USB drive or SD card in to load the bootloader.

Jokes on you, my computer only has a 512mb GPU

this is my NMVe speed from my M.2 slot on my mobo.
you jelly?

Attached: NVMe.png (519x407, 110K)

That would be the dream. To replace my 4x4TB mechanical 3,5" fatass hard drives with 4x4TB NVMe M.2 SSD, all enclosed in a single PCI-E card like pic related

Attached: design[1].jpg (870x400, 155K)

can I use my HDD drive as clover bootloader to boot PCIE to nvme adapter?

Yeah

Have sex immediately.

Its the same price as a regular ssd except i don't have to run wires. Also I max out the bandwidth on my SSD maybe once a year at most.

Does x570 have any improvements with storemi? I wouldn't mind having a TB of cache

Why would I? Your drive is faster to begin with, higher capacity drives have more cells to write to and more cache, we both have nvme slots and we're both reaping the benefits of optimal storage speeds. Nothing to be jelly about, we're doing the same thing?

Ran a test after a clean reinstall.
My SSD is a 1TB 970 EVO Plus (from AMD motherboard X370, M.2 slot):

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CrystalDiskMark 6.0.2 x64 (C) 2007-2018 hiyohiyo
Crystal Dew World : crystalmark.info/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
* MB/s = 1,000,000 bytes/s [SATA/600 = 600,000,000 bytes/s]
* KB = 1000 bytes, KiB = 1024 bytes

Sequential Read (Q= 32,T= 1) : 3566.954 MB/s
Sequential Write (Q= 32,T= 1) : 3327.107 MB/s
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 8,T= 8) : 1503.875 MB/s [ 367157.0 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 8,T= 8) : 1449.219 MB/s [ 353813.2 IOPS]
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 295.123 MB/s [ 72051.5 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 32,T= 1) : 197.325 MB/s [ 48175.0 IOPS]
Random Read 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 47.904 MB/s [ 11695.3 IOPS]
Random Write 4KiB (Q= 1,T= 1) : 124.532 MB/s [ 30403.3 IOPS]

Test : 1024 MiB [C: 4.6% (42.4/930.9 GiB)] (x5) [Interval=5 sec]
Date : 2019/07/15 21:19:07

>SLI and Crossfire in 2019

Those are qlc though

yeah but mine is faster.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 85K)

Getting NVMe boot supported on my R4E board was a pain in the ass, but I was glad I did.

I don't think that's the lane layout though. You have 16x or 8x/8x, and then the other 4 lanes drive the on-board chipset, so SATA, on-board NVME, or often the bottom PCI sockets. So you'll still see a little bottlenecking there.

>That means an RTX 2080ti could run with virtually full performance on PCI-E 4.0 X4.
A PCIe 3.0 card will only ever do 3.0. PCIe has a negotiation phase (not unlike ethernet or SATA), and the highest version supported by BOTH sides wins. It's the PHYs on both ends of each lane that dictate this and you can't magically upgrade just one. Just as you can't run a SATA-III drive at SATA-III speeds in a SATA-II port.

>A high end NVME SSD should be able to achieve 4000mb/s reads on a PCI-E 4.0 X2 slot.
If, and only if, it's a PCIe 4.0 SSD. A 3.0 SSD would be hard-capped to 1.97GB/s.

And for full-size cards, x2 is an oddity in that the standard doesn't even define a sense pin for it, and some controllers drop straight to x1 when x4 negotiation fails.

Calm don't I don't want to fight you

The amount of cope in this thread is pathetic.

>Calm don't I don't want to fight you
wut?

Attached: asi-ve-ahora-chica-meme-wut_cover-696x696.jpg (696x696, 51K)

I said

Processors have only like 16 pcie lanes that the GPU eats up though and each nvme takes like 4 lanes
Even Sata m2s use up a Sata port on the motherboard so m2 configurations seem to just always seem awkward.
I wanna make a server with just m2 drives and a 2.5 one for larger storage but now everything wants a fucking pcie lane

Attached: Li-HongBo-Klein-Sun-AM-41.jpg (640x425, 25K)

get an enthusiast or server product, they have shittons of pcie lanes.

Are you advising I get a power hungry xeon or an i9-x or a thread ripper and run it 24/7 just for some m.2 drives.
Do m2 drives configure themselves to lower lane configurations if I somehow just stuff a computer with them? Can I theoretically get 8 nvme m2 drives in a computer and run them each at x2?

pretty sure if the necessary PCIE lanes aren't present they split into more pcie gen 2 lanes, if the traces are present. My x299 board will kill two of the sata port to accomodate an m.2 drive, but with a bios revision this doesn't happen on a higher end chip with more lanes (I have a super shitty X series processor from a friend)

I mean, if you really want to make sure you're getting the best out of your current setup, you could buy a PLX daughterboard and run whatever the fuck you want on it.

>Why exactly do you think SATA m.2 has any reason to exist at all? The nvme drives are not any more expensive. You are choosing the slower bus for no reason.

SATA m.2 drives exist so that corner-cutting cheapass mobos and laptops can make SATA-only m.2 slots and skimp on PCIe lanes.

>being a Intel cuck
KEK

My motherboard will do 8x8x8. Asus Pro WS-X570 Ace.

I do like the clean look of a m.4 stick on the mobo rather than two cables to a 2.5". However, the 2.5" has better value, all things equal, because of how easy it is to use that 2.5" SSD for a wide variety of other uses.

For example, I recently upgraded my SSD from 250gb to 1tb. With the previous 250gb drive, I replaced my old laptop's 2.5" HDD with it for significant speed gains. Or you can get a cheap enclosure and have a good eSATA portable SSD. Lot of different options.

The Ryzen processor only has 20 lanes, so maybe you have an 8 lane to the chipset, but then you have 4 to the processor.

Ryzen 3xxx has 40 PCIe 4.0 lanes when combined with X570. And my board specifically stated that it will pull it's lanes from the chipset only when occupying the 3rd slot. Slots 1 and 2 are from the CPU in 8x8x mode. 4 lanes for the NVME from the CPU, and 4 lanes for USB gen2 3.2.

tomshardware.com/news/amd-x570-x470-chipset-pcie-4.0,39651.html

motherboard can't boot from pci-e slot
I prefer to have my software on the same drive as my OS.
Not buying an ssd for media storage since i'm not rich.
4. kys

>dude decrease your load times from 9 seconds to 6 seconds for only 200 dollars, why aren't you doing it?

Attached: 1547350474417.webm (460x252, 622K)

Oh shit, my bad. Was looking at older spec for whatever reason. Good stuff.

Yes it can boot, assuming a good uefi implementation. The Edk2 contains an nvme driver

Thought about it but firstly I'm not that desperate for the space over my existing one, secondly it wasn't a very good deal, thirdly the NVMe alternative was an old one and overall I feel I was better off getting a newer one when I do a new build.

Reminder, Unused lanes are wasted lanes

Microcenter is selling 512 GB nvme for like $50. I bought one for my ryzen 3600 build. It's super fast.

No, you stupid nigger.

All consumer CPUs and chipsets have shared PCI-E lanes.

Based and redpilled

SX8200 or SX8200 Pro? A 256GB Samsung PM981 is faster than your drive in some scenarios

Pic related, via $3 PCIe card

Attached: speeds.png (404x369, 36K)

7nm Zen2 chips have the same number of PCI-E lanes as the 14nm Zen1 chips.
The processor effectively has 24 usable lanes. You have 16+4+4 configuration if you have a GPU in the first slot using X16 mode.

You can add more lanes via the platform chip, but this is not the same as whats offered by the processor itself. You're limited by the connection to the chipset. Again this is no different from Zen1.

Attached: lanes.png (1365x2001, 553K)

Unless you're running GPT+UEFI, your most likely not going to be able to boot from that M.2 NVMe drive

>tfw that's still several times faster than the HDD, first gen i5 and 1600mhz ddr3 I'm using