Untitled

news.samsung.com/global/samsung-begins-mass-production-of-industrys-first-12gb-lpddr5-mobile-dram-for-premium-smartphones

Attached: Samsung-LPDDR5_2019_main_F.jpg (1000x475, 138K)

Other urls found in this thread:

anandtech.com/show/13999/sk-hynix-details-its-ddr56400-dram-chip
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>12GB of RAM in a smartphone
what a time to be alive

>Looks at LG G2 with 2GB RAM
Why would I need 12GB RAM in my phone?

>5500mt/s
>6400mt/s

Shits fast as fuck boiii

>Smartphones will now have more ram than my desktop
>My desktop can play AAA games at max
>Phones need that much ram for...

Yes?

>>Phones need that much ram for...
Persistent spyware, hundreds of instances.

Android is heavy as fuck.
4GB RAM on a phone results in apps reloading constantly. Meanwhile on Windows, you can have a decent amount of programs running at the same time.

noOoOoooOOoOOooo

Attached: 1527629778452.jpg (679x758, 54K)

Oh I know but that's really the problem, isn't it?

Don't address the problem, just brute force it with a mountain of resources and don't forget to mark it as """premium""" so you can charge $1400 for a phone.

more JVM instances.

Holy fuck you dumb niggers are fucking retarded. Stup fucking comparing phones to computers their work load is not the god damn same. Uuuuh lmao my computer has less ram and can run a fucking game hurdur. All a phone does is run 1 very heaby process obviously hur hur hur.... Fucking simpletons.

Here is the thing you fuck nuggets. Phones run many many applications at once with a highly multi threaded work load. Therefore more cores and more ram is a good thing on phones. The more ram allows more applications to stay in background so that you dont have to start it from 0 everytime making your phone faster. The more cores the more apps the phone can handle without slowing down the app you have open.

Seriously is this board legit just made of fucking boomers that never upgraded from landline and a fucking DOS pc?!?!

Attached: 1562830995634.gif (463x698, 174K)

seriously you're legit retarded. how is it that an iPhone can do the same thing as my shitty pixel 2 at faster speeds with less RAM?

Look at this mobilecuck. Lmao.

Try looking at how many process threads Windows has running at any one time, even immediately after boot. You clueless retard. Android is not unique in having many background processes. Android is simply a bad bloated operating system.

Says the windows faggot? Seriously though do you have any clue what apps do in the background?? Also please dont compare an arm chip in a phone to a fucking i7 in a desktop seriously. Ofcourse the i7 can handle that many background processes without the fucking cores but its lmany times more powerfull then the fucking snapdragon chips. Try cramming a desktop cpu in a phone.

You're erroneously conflating processing power with RAM usage. Nice try, kiddo.
There is no excuse for the poor performance and high RAM usage in Android. It is simply a poorly made bloated OS.

Lets talk about what fucking iphone you are comparing to what fucking pixel first. The pixel 2 is already a number of years old. We will be getting the pixel 4 soon. Also might be faster now but just wait till apple throttles you god damn ass. Oh and many android phones run perfectly fine with less ram in them its not about the fucking thing your looking at dickhead its about the background stuff where the ram will get used. Iphones handle this completely differently from how android handles it. Honestly dont know enough about iOS to tell you the difference but I do know iOS has some dirty fucking tricks in this area that are straight horrible.

Please do explain then how the "processing power" is used to keep track of state and fucking variables. If you put an app in the background that doesnt disappear. So when the phone needs more ram it can either save your apps state to more persistant storage or it can straight up kill your app. Now for the more persistant storage option your app needs to support it and I can tell you plenty of them dont. So everytime the app gets kicked from background to a lower state it needs to reinitialize which means that it needs to completely restart. Also I was talking about ram and fucking cores seperatly you dumb cunt.

Java. It uses 2x more for the same task and needs 50% of RAM free to not stutter. When it has the required RAM it's quite fast though.

Oh also build your own damn mobile os then. Dont see you suggesting much better. Learn the fucking limitations of phones first. Then go and learn how people use phones completely differently from a fucking pc. After that find a strong rope and hang yourself.

This is a point I will give you. One of the downsides of java. But as you say if it has the ram its quite nice.

daily reminder that desktop computers can be much smaller and performant too if monopolies were artificially not kept them back

>literal Android defense force just babbling because he can't make an argument
>just make your own OS
This is sad, kid.

>Then go and learn how people use phones completely differently from a fucking pc.
Yes, on this PC you usually run multiple tasks while on phones it's one task on top and others get suspended. And it still uses more RAM.

The important take away is that Desktop DDR5 will operate at speeds of 6000mt/s and faster with drive voltages of 1.2v and lower.
Dual channel DDR5 systems will have total memory bandwidth reaching 96gb/s. even more as the memory matures. AMD will finally have a decent boon to their IGPs.

>ANDJEET needs 12gb of ram just to play his candy crush
>seethes when people point this out

L M A O

Attached: aaaaaa.png (813x1402, 250K)

sir pls delet dis now

anandtech.com/show/13999/sk-hynix-details-its-ddr56400-dram-chip
SK Hynix and Samsung have both shown either 6400mt/s or 6500mt/s DDR5. Its conceivable that we'll end up seeing kits on the market over 7000mt/s.

Maybe Zen4 APUs will have performance surpassing the RX460. That isn't really much to write home about, but its something. Decent for a low power laptop.

Android

Attached: Screenshot_20190718-061553.jpg (1436x701, 115K)

I blame Android's absolutely insane application lifecycle. Each application is more like a collection of small applications and each of those could be interrupted at any time, and their state gets saved/recreated all the time and they themselves also get cached for faster loading. This blows up memory usage way beyond what JVM alone could possibly do, it has high memory usage spikes due to how GC works but with Android it's constantly high background RAM usage. Who the fuck thought it's a good idea? It's hard to program and it's inefficient, it looks more like those old cooperative multitasking operating systems.

Attached: activity.jpg (502x651, 26K)

The current 3400G is 11CU, peak boost clock of 1400mhz, and has official support for 2933 DDR4. 1.97TFLOPS total compute power, albeit heavily bottlenecked with 46.9gb/s.
RX 460 is 14CU, peak boost clock of 1200mhz, 2.1TFLOPS, and memory bandwidth is 112gb/s.

AMD should be able to pack 16CU into an APU, have boost clocks around a modest 1600mhz, yielding 3.2TFLOPS. With entry level DDR5, 5500mt/s chips, memory bandwidth would be 88gb/s. 6000mt/s chips would give 98gb/s.
Pretty doable for 5nm.

>G2
Based

Attached: 1503ba8bb7b931ceb9da17bd716f45b1345e5d93.png (170x273, 33K)

DDR5 could be nvidia's death with competitive mid/low range GPUs just part of the package that play 1080p really well and have upscaling to 1440p.

Intel and AMD will be able to deliver enough GPU performance for most games to prices a dedicated GPU will not be able to compete with.

1. Android doesn't use neither OpenJDK's VM nor Oracle's JVM
2. It's the application developer's fault.

On the desktop the JVM only takes 200-500mb of RAM and that's for the entire runtime, bytecode interpreter and JIT compiler. All the rest is application memory.
Java code can be made to run close to C/C++ levels of performance, but most Java devs can only achieve is RoR in Ruby 1.5 levels of performance.

The bar is constantly moving, entry level hardware doesn't remain constant. In a couple years we might see IGP performance on par with a GTX 1050. Though when we see an APU at that level there will be higher performance entry level discrete cards.
It will be incredible to have a single chip offering that level of performance inside of a 15w laptop though. More GPU power than the Xboner.

>no word about power usage

>The new chip also uses up to 30 percent less power than its predecessor

How is feel being a retard, user?

Meanwhile iOS is blazing fast with 3gb.

Why is andreet so slow and bloated?

My bad, I didn't expect autism.
>no numbers about the power draw

>up to 30 percent less
Doesn't say shit.

3? Even 2gb has no issues, the worst I encountered are page reloads with 50+ tabs but they happen almost instantly.

Though Apple probably still fucked up by not going to 8GB on iPad Pros.

What makes code perform faster? Why can't Java devs achieve C performance?

>I don't actually know how much power lpddr4x draws, but I'll feign knowledge and complain when a press release doesn't list the specific power draw in joules of lpddr5.
Pathetic.

>iphones are blazing fast

Attached: 1519109350374.webm (640x290, 2.43M)

>iPhone has low battery
>tests a bunch of google apps

Nice try Sandeep.

>when a press release doesn't list the specific power draw
The same press release which goes on an on about speeds, capacity and fucking manufacturing process? It wouldn't kill them to give something like 0,45v instead of memes like "up to"

Drive voltage and power draw are different things, you dumb little kid. 5500mt/s DDR5 having a drive voltage of 1.05v does not tell you its exact power draw.
Holy shit, kid. Get the fuck off this board.

Nor does anyone expect anything exact. Just a decent hint.

That's simply because android is programmed wrongly. Its core idea is to have one big ramdisk for the currently viewed app and cache everything else. Retarded idea.

I greatly look forward to the era where 100GB/s for a dual channel desktop/laptop is common.
Now if only CNTs would replace standard DRAM slices.

Attached: nanteronramcrossection_caption_web.jpg (800x485, 136K)

>people aren't hype about DDR5
You're all so fucking gay I swear

>Android needs 12GB RAM to run

Attached: 1553610193644.jpg (700x700, 55K)

implying this doesnt equate to real world use by an average consumer

Well smartphones nowadays have like 8+ proper CPU cores so they can handle a lots of things simulatenously. Why would anyone sane want to drain their battery like that is another thing...

It's funny because a full x86-64 CPU has a hard time saturating the fastest DDR4. What the fuck is a few watt soc with a fraction of desktop cpu's performance is supposed to do with those transfer rates?

You didn't answer the question moron

Attached: you_must_be_out_of_ur_damn_mind.png (643x820, 753K)

You can extrapolate from previous hardware and any node shrink benefits.

A single stick of DDR4 at 4000MT/s (1000Mhz clock rate) at 1.35v uses less than 2 watts
But RAM power use only matters in large datacenters where 1 watt less from a hundred thousand machines saves a million dollars a year.

>It's funny because a full x86-64 CPU has a hard time saturating the fastest DDR4.
You're clueless. Perf uplift is small with DRAM scaling, but its still there. Most everything benefits from faster RAM with tighter timings compared to entry level DDR4 kits.
For AMD the system RAM feeds the IGP as well, so bandwidth will always have massive utility there.

Holy shit you sound like a retard this isn't how it works at all

Attached: orang.jpg (599x566, 49K)

>muh video games

Android is unoptimized garbage. You could give it 128 gigs of ram and it'll still be shit.

Real world use by the average consumer would include all the malware and bloatware on an android device with low battery.

What the frick is that footprint! How am I supposed to place VIAs between the pads? Look at that huge motherloving space at the center, could they not populate this area and increase the god damn pitch? I'm tired of overpaying my PCB prototypes because of the insanely small drill sizes they are coercing us to use.

RAM uses power whether you use it or not. If it's in the same size package, it uses the same amount of power.
If you can get more RAM in the same package and it uses the same amount of power, then only an idiot would choose to have less RAM.

>AMD will be able to deliver enough GPU performance for most games to prices a dedicated GPU will not be able to compete with.

They could but they won't, because they don't want to threaten their standalone video card market and console chip market. As a business decision, they'll limit integrated performance to maybe half what the consoles and good cards have. Like says, about 16 CU would be the limit for the top end desktop APU performance.
Laptops, on the other hand, have nothing to lose, so they could go higher there.